PDA

View Full Version : Wishing Misfortune for the Braves

SilverAndBlue
06-16-2009, 12:02 AM
You know, I've been a loyal Braves fan for a long time. I'm a Georgian and rooted for the home team when they were probably the worst team in the league...back when you showed up at the ballpark and you could literally sit anywhere you damned well pleased. However, I'm torn about something that's coming. I'm torn, because as much as I love the Braves, I am actually rooting for them to end up with the worst record in baseball this year.

I am doing that for one reason and his name is Bryce Harper. If you haven't heard of him...you will. He's only 16 and has just dropped out of high school and is using his GED to enter into technical school and plans to enter into the MLB draft next season. Harper is a catcher, but also plays 3B and pitcher. He is being dubbed, the Lebron James of baseball. If you don't know him, just google him and watch some of his footage.

Now, I know this seems ridiculous, you don't have to tell me. But if there was one player worth tanking a season for, it would be this guy in my opinion. He would be the future replacement for Chipper...hands down.

NBA_Starter
06-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Don't even fool yourself we probably can't even lose right!:confused:

SilverAndBlue
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't even fool yourself we probably can't even lose right!:confused:

ha true. I know it's a ******** way of thinking...but it would sure be nice to have that guy. Dude has amazing bat speed.

NBA_Starter
06-16-2009, 12:10 AM
No doubt about it, I hope we can get him somehow!

rtgthree
06-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Washington has the worst record in baseball by far. The Braves are already 13.5 games ahead of them. Given that the Nats are only likely to get worse as they trade away talent at the deadline, the Braves would have to lose games at a truly astounding pace to have baseball's worst record this year. It's not going to happen.

Washington, though, with Strasburg and Harper...they'll be starting something special. That said, Harper isn't necessarily all he's cracked up to be. He was on the cover of SI a couple weeks ago, and I've read more than one analyst that thinks the story significantly overhypes Harper. He'll be a hell of a player, but with the expectations already soaring, he may be bound to disappoint.

Either way, the Braves won't get him.

CrippledRam
06-16-2009, 12:18 AM
I think the Nats have clinched #1 already (which he is almost a lock to go). They could be very good in say 2012. Ryan Zimmerman, Jordan Zimmerman, Stras, Bryce, and a few more studs in the system.

A_Brave_Pack
06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Here's the thing: Regardless of how talented the kid is, he is not a sure thing. Obviously.

Here is the list of #1 Draft Picks in MLB since 1965:

1965 Rick Monday Kansas City Athletics Outfielder
1966 Steve Chilcott New York Mets Catcher
1967 Ron Blomberg New York Yankees First baseman
1968 Tim Foli New York Mets Shortstop
1969 Jeff Burroughs Washington Senators Outfielder
1970 Mike Ivie San Diego Padres Catcher
1971 Danny Goodwin Chicago White Sox Catcher
1972 Dave Roberts San Diego Padres Third baseman
1973 David Clyde Texas Rangers Pitcher
1974 Bill Almon San Diego Padres Shortstop
1975 Danny Goodwin California Angels Catcher
1976 Floyd Bannister Houston Astros Pitcher
1977 Harold Baines Chicago White Sox Outfielder
1978 Bob Horner Atlanta Braves Third baseman
1979 Al Chambers Seattle Mariners Outfielder
1980 Darryl Strawberry New York Mets Outfielder
1981 Mike Moore Seattle Mariners Pitcher
1982 Shawon Dunston Chicago Cubs Shortstop
1983 Tim Belcher Minnesota Twins Pitcher
1984 Shawn Abner New York Mets Outfielder
1985 B.J. Surhoff Milwaukee Brewers Catcher
1986 Jeff King Pittsburgh Pirates Third baseman
1987 Ken Griffey, Jr. Seattle Mariners Outfielder
1988 Andy Benes San Diego Padres Pitcher
1989 Ben McDonald Baltimore Orioles Pitcher
1990 Chipper Jones Atlanta Braves Shortstop
1991 Brien Taylor New York Yankees Pitcher
1992 Phil Nevin Houston Astros Third baseman
1993 Alex Rodriguez Seattle Mariners Shortstop
1994 Paul Wilson New York Mets Pitcher
1995 Darin Erstad California Angels Outfielder
1996 Kris Benson Pittsburgh Pirates Pitcher
1997 Matt Anderson Detroit Tigers Pitcher
1998 Pat Burrell Philadelphia Phillies Left Fielder
1999 Josh Hamilton Tampa Bay Devil Rays Outfielder
2000 Adrián González Florida Marlins First baseman
2001 Joe Mauer Minnesota Twins Catcher
2002 Bryan Bullington Pittsburgh Pirates Pitcher
2003 Delmon Young Tampa Bay Devil Rays Outfielder
2004 Matt Bush San Diego Padres Shortstop
2005 Justin Upton Arizona Diamondbacks Shortstop
2006 Luke Hochevar Kansas City Royals Pitcher
2007 David Price Tampa Bay Devil Rays Pitcher
2008 Timothy Beckham Tampa Bay Rays Shortstop
2009 Stephen Strasburg Washington Nationals Pitcher

^^^Let the debate begin. How many of these players ended up being 'Franchise Savers/Changers', and how many ended up being the dreaded 'B' word?!

BobbyCox4Life
06-16-2009, 12:27 AM
wow a 16 year old dropping out of HS? A hope baseball works out for him

SilverAndBlue
06-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Washington has the worst record in baseball by far. The Braves are already 13.5 games ahead of them. Given that the Nats are only likely to get worse as they trade away talent at the deadline, the Braves would have to lose games at a truly astounding pace to have baseball's worst record this year. It's not going to happen.

Washington, though, with Strasburg and Harper...they'll be starting something special. That said, Harper isn't necessarily all he's cracked up to be. He was on the cover of SI a couple weeks ago, and I've read more than one analyst that thinks the story significantly overhypes Harper. He'll be a hell of a player, but with the expectations already soaring, he may be bound to disappoint.

Either way, the Braves won't get him.

while I agree with you that the Braves probably wont end up with the worst record, I doubt seriously the Nats would pursue Harper. I don't think they can afford him if they sign Strasburg. I would imagine Harper would command a salary similar to Strasburg and I think it's pretty unlikely the Nats sign and keep both players. Maybe they sign and trade...but even that is unlikely. It may actually come down to not even having to have the worst record. It may be the 2nd worst record.

CrippledRam
06-16-2009, 01:14 AM
highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQ5cZD8PgU)

He puts one 500 ft. at about 4:30. He is 6'3...205. What's he getting playing in high school, he seems well-rounded so missing a year or two of high school doesn't seem as bad. Dominicans get signed at 16 why can't he.

CrippledRam
06-16-2009, 01:15 AM
while I agree with you that the Braves probably wont end up with the worst record, I doubt seriously the Nats would pursue Harper. I don't think they can afford him if they sign Strasburg. I would imagine Harper would command a salary similar to Strasburg and I think it's pretty unlikely the Nats sign and keep both players. Maybe they sign and trade...but even that is unlikely. It may actually come down to not even having to have the worst record. It may be the 2nd worst record.

Can't trade for a yr. I can't see any team doing it.

rtgthree
06-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Gotta beg to differ here. I think the Nats will have no choice but to draft Harper and sign him. Fans are ready to win; the front office will face the same pressure they have been facing this year with Strasburg.

Brawler47
06-16-2009, 06:09 AM
As much as it hurts to wish bad fortune on my favorite team, I must agree with most of the above posts, it is in all likelyhood that Harper goes to the Nats. The thing that gets me is that he is 16. How much experience could he possibly have against half-decent players when he was in high school? Thats the problem I have with almost all major sport drafts (MLB, NBA, NHL). Most of the kids drafted young (18-19) usually don't make an impact that deserves recognition until atleast their 2nd or 3rd season mainly because they have no experience against pro-caliber athletes. This is especially relevent in baseball because most if not all draftees in a year's draft don't even play Pro ball untill the 2nd or 3rd year after they are drafted. There are exceptions but not many.

Yes, it would be great if we got a player with all the hype of Harper but by the time he is developed, who knows what the situation the Braves will be in. Not saying he won't be great but he may turn out to be more valuable to another team than he would be to us, in which case, we would end up trading him for a postition we really need then.

littleknighty
06-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Sorry guys but I want the Braves to pick 30th next year.

g-burn
06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
^^^
agreed!!! :)

GLASSMAN
06-16-2009, 09:25 AM
I say we secretly start cloning the likes of Chipper, Longoria, Pujols and by 2030 we at least make the wildcard. Fantasy thread?

CrippledRam
06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
As much as it hurts to wish bad fortune on my favorite team, I must agree with most of the above posts, it is in all likelyhood that Harper goes to the Nats. The thing that gets me is that he is 16. How much experience could he possibly have against half-decent players when he was in high school? Thats the problem I have with almost all major sport drafts (MLB, NBA, NHL). Most of the kids drafted young (18-19) usually don't make an impact that deserves recognition until atleast their 2nd or 3rd season mainly because they have no experience against pro-caliber athletes. This is especially relevent in baseball because most if not all draftees in a year's draft don't even play Pro ball untill the 2nd or 3rd year after they are drafted. There are exceptions but not many.

Yes, it would be great if we got a player with all the hype of Harper but by the time he is developed, who knows what the situation the Braves will be in. Not saying he won't be great but he may turn out to be more valuable to another team than he would be to us, in which case, we would end up trading him for a postition we really need then.

That kid has surely been playing against the best of the best at his age (and likely older) on the AAU circuit

uncblue2332
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
That kid has surely been playing against the best of the best at his age (and likely older) on the AAU circuit

yea cause once you play AAU you are a shoe-in for a future all-star. Man I played AAU basketball and I didnt even get a college offer so your wrong there. AAU is not always the best players. The best player at my school who went to V. Tech and just got drafted didnt play AAU. AAU isnt the best players always and you shouldnt ever reference that.

atl_braves_fan
06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
It would be virtually impossible for the Braves to get the #1 pick and, even if they did, this kid would be several years away. There are a ton of players that are great in high school and don't amount to much in the majors. No thank you to tanking the season.

AustinTheGreat
06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
i dont want to ever wish my team to bomb and get 1st pick. ESsecially not for an over hyped young player like always. Late round picks end up being great just like early ones , they just dont have the hype.