PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Rollins

Lisound15
06-15-2009, 09:55 PM
He leads all national league shortstops in all star voting, with a batting average of a crisp .217, 5 home runs, and 25 rbi's????
Miguel Tejada and Hanley Ramires both have higher averages and slugging percentages by 100+ points, and are having far better seasons than Jimmy Rollins.
This makes me sick that fans continue to be ignorant, this game ACTUALLY matters, you should vote in the best players in hopes of getting your team home field advantage in the world series.

any thoughts?

dbow1920
06-15-2009, 10:05 PM
this is why fan voting is stupid...im a phillies fan and i dont even think Rollins should be considered for the Allstar game

degnor
06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I would never expect Rollins to turn the invite down (who would, outside of an injury), but I cannot remember anyone who less deserved to go (and that would include Manny Ramirez, if he gets in)

SJ5382
06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Rollins, Molina, Kinsler, and Hamilton have no business starting in the All-Star Game.

¿QUE?
06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I would never expect Rollins to turn the invite down (who would, outside of an injury), but I cannot remember anyone who less deserved to go (and that would include Manny Ramirez, if he gets in)

Maybe Varitek last year but I agree with your point

Lisound15
06-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Rollins, Molina, Kinsler, and Hamilton have no business starting in the All-Star Game.

i completely agree with you and everyone else here.
i didnt even realize it was yadier molina leading at catchers... his brother bengie deserves it more he practically is the san francisco's giants offense.

qwestion13
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Jimmy does not deserve to be there, plain and simple. ****, he doesn't deserve to be hitting in the top 6 of the Phillies lineup right now.

But hey, this is what happens when fans get to vote-in the starters. It's like when Fukodome made it last year, completely ridiculous...

AsfanSince99
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
He leads all national league shortstops in all star voting, with a batting average of a crisp .217, 5 home runs, and 25 rbi's????
Miguel Tejada and Hanley Ramires both have higher averages and slugging percentages by 100+ points, and are having far better seasons than Jimmy Rollins.
This makes me sick that fans continue to be ignorant, this game ACTUALLY matters, you should vote in the best players in hopes of getting your team home field advantage in the world series.

any thoughts?
The whole system's a JOKE. And I wouldn't call fans ignorant; they're just voting for who they want to see play. It's still a popularity contest. I voted for Manny Ramirez just because it seems as tho people don't want him to play because he got caught using peds. But if he gets enough votes, he should play.

degnor
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Good call. It's a very close contest between those two.

tjp2033
06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I am a die hard Phillies fan and I know Jimmy Rollins should be spending time at home with a hitting coach during the break. I look at it this way though, Charlie knows Jimmy shouldn't be there so give him 1 AB or a max of 2 if they come quick. Get him out and let Hanley play the rest of the game and hope they have the right players in late to win the game. Jimmy may not get a hit in the game but you don't have to worry about him having a Dan Uggla type All-Star game.

Faithdies
06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm a Phillie fan and I voted for Hanley Ramirez because I'm an actual BASEBALL fan as well.

TheRuckus
06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
i completely agree with you and everyone else here.
i didnt even realize it was yadier molina leading at catchers... his brother bengie deserves it more he practically is the san francisco's giants offense.

They're both terrible. Brian McCann is far and away the best catcher in the NL.

And I'm another Phillies who's appalled that Rollins is going to get voted into the game.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-16-2009, 12:07 AM
rollins even being mentioned for the game let alone starting is a complete joke...Hanley needs to start!

iced_earth4
06-16-2009, 12:11 AM

If I remember correctly, Varitek was voted in by the players not the fans. To put it in persepective, if you won an award at work that your co-workers voted you for, would you not show up???

detroitsports22
06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Popularity contest.

cwilson21
06-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm fine with it because all that means is just another win for the AL in the All Star Game.

hoggin88
06-16-2009, 02:11 AM
It disgusts me that Rollins is leading the SS vote. I don't care who the person is or what team he is on. Someone playing as poorly as he is shouldn't be considered. Maybe Phillies fans just want the AL to have home field advantage :shrug:

TheRuckus
06-16-2009, 02:23 AM
It disgusts me that Rollins is leading the SS vote. I don't care who the person is or what team he is on. Someone playing as poorly as he is shouldn't be considered. Maybe Phillies fans just want the AL to have home field advantage :shrug:

Sure we do. That way, when we sweep the Series, we'll get to celebrate on our own field again. :up:

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-16-2009, 02:30 AM

2008 Fukudome says hi.

TheRuckus
06-16-2009, 02:44 AM
2008 Fukudome says hi.

Well played, sir.

salimstoudamire
06-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Jimmy may not get a hit in the game but you don't have to worry about him having a Dan Uggla type All-Star game.

HAHAHAHAHA. This may be one of my favorite quotes I have ever seen on PSD. I remember that game and he was truly awful. If I can remember correctly, he went 0 for 4 with three strikeouts and grounded into a double play. So on offense he contributed 5 outs, himself. Then defensively, he had three errors. I cant remember another player who has ever had three errors in a single game. Worst All-Star game performance I have ever witnessed. He is no Chase Utley!

Pinstripe pride
06-16-2009, 09:09 AM

2008 jason varitek

AIsixersFK
06-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I voted for Ramirez too and I am a Phillies fan as well. It's all about who the fans want to see. If they root for a bad team then who gives a **** who wins the all-star team. I personally want the NL to win so I voted with intelligence. What's the losing streak for the NL? 8 years? Including a tie?

hoggin88
06-16-2009, 09:40 AM
2008 Fukudome says hi.

He didn't deserve to make it either. But at least at the time he was playing quite a bit better than Rollins is right now. Don't get wrong, Kosuke didn't even remotely deserve to make it. Believe me, I know that. But Rollins is just so bad right now it's ridiculous.

rockthered19
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Rollins doesn't deserve to be there but if he plays the way that he's capable of playing then he could really help the NL team

pf289
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
As a Phils fan, this sickens me. What the hell people

Hustla23
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
That's what happens when the brilliant fans vote.

Brosiff
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Im a phils fan, and i didnt vote for him. It prolly has alot to do with him being on the WS team, and maybe the fact that he got snubbed of starting in previous seasons when his stats were much better. Oh and to "cwilson21" i dont see how him being voted in gives the AL another win. His hitting is gettin SOMEWHAT better, and his defense is as good as any SS in the entire league. But hey i guess whatever helps u feel better about the All-star game bro.

misterd
06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
The whole system's a JOKE. And I wouldn't call fans ignorant; they're just voting for who they want to see play. It's still a popularity contest.

Which is exactly how it was intended. 75% of the roster will still be determined by performance (or politics).

MAHK!
06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
The league really should give the best 6 people or so to vote for from every position, that way the fans can't screw it up.

JMac9
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't even think that this is only Phillies fans voting for Jimmy... I mean, look at it this way.
Jimmy Rollins was an MVP two years ago.
He won a World Series last year.
And the guy is always having a good time. Now, he is not the best player, but he will give everybody out there a good time... While I don't agree with this, I don't think he should be out there, but I do think that it is happening for a reason.

The L Train
06-16-2009, 07:41 PM

any thoughts?

thoughts? yeah, just that jimbo is lucky as hell that reyes is injured... i would take tejada or reyes over jimmy rollins without a second thought, but i understand why he's leading in all star voting... you have to remember that its fans voting, and i think rollins appeals to mlb fans more than the other two guys you mentioned because of personality, and because he guaranteed a championship and delivered... what has tejada or hanley done that would make them marketable or give fans a reason to want to see them in the all star game, or to set themselves apart, other than the obvious stats?

if i were not a mets fan, and i were forced to vote, i'd vote for rollins over tejada and hanley too...

The L Train
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
when i do vote, i vote for who i want to see play, not necessarily the player having the best season...

pf289
06-17-2009, 12:52 AM
when i do vote, i vote for who i want to see play, not necessarily the player having the best season...

Thats why fan voting sucks. This is for the ALL STAR game not the MY FAVORITE PLAYER game.

Faithdies
06-17-2009, 03:37 AM
That kind of voting is fine. But, make it stop mattering towards the World Series.

MaHaRaJaH
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
I voted for Ramirez too and I am a Phillies fan as well. It's all about who the fans want to see. If they root for a bad team then who gives a **** who wins the all-star team. I personally want the NL to win so I voted with intelligence. What's the losing streak for the NL? 8 years? Including a tie?

People should care, because the game actually counts for something.

MaHaRaJaH
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
That kind of voting is fine. But, make it stop mattering towards the World Series.
Oh yea, definitely.

ATL2010
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Hanley should be the starter

Fred
06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
#1...Hanley should start
#2...it is the fan's choice, so yeah, they get to pick who is in, like it or not
#3...because of #2, I will vote for JRoll, being a Phils fan; I don't care about who "should" or "should not" make it into the game...I don't see Bosox or Yankee fans complaining when they get 5, 6, 7 starters in the game
#4...the AL won the game last year, the Phils won the WS at home as a result
#5...see #2 above....it is a 2-day fan appreciation timeframe...let them enjoy it...do we care who wins the HR derby? Certainly! Because it is entertainment...think of it as Baseball's version of "Dancing With the Stars"...you want your favorite to hit the most but once the contest is over, you move on to the next show...
#6...Selig is a douche for giving home field in the WS to the winner....

yojoe792
06-17-2009, 12:59 PM
The MLB needs to make a decision.

1) The All-Star game counts, and the players/coaches chose teams.
2) The All-Star game is for fun, and the fans chose.

This game has turned into a joke, and it's not right that the world series is put in the hands of idiot fans.

yojoe792
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
C - Brian McCann
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Chase Utley
SS - Hanley Ramirez
3B - David Wright
OF - Raul Ibanez
OF - Ryan Braun
OF - Carlos Beltran

C - Joe Mauer
1B - Mark Teixeira
2B - Ian Kinsler
SS - Jason Bartlett (yes, well deserving)
3B - Evan Longoria
OF - Jason Bay
OF - Carl Crawford
OF - Torii Hunter

donnie23
06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Rollins is an average hitter, no more. He is a solid fielder and runner so he adds dimensions to the phillies that make him an integral part of their success, but he is an average hitter.

McAwesomeDude
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I am a Phils fan as well, and he shouldnt even start on the Phillies this year!! Apparently Phils fans arent ballot box stuffing, I mean he did call us front runners, so who the hell is voting for him?

Lincecum4CY
06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
The all star game is a ******* joke. I only enjoy the home run derby.

Lincecum4CY
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
The MLB needs to make a decision.

1) The All-Star game counts, and the players/coaches chose teams.
2) The All-Star game is for fun, and the fans chose.

This game has turned into a joke, and it's not right that the world series is put in the hands of idiot fans.

For once..i actually agree 100% with a dodger fan.

If fans are going to pick...then dont base the world series home advantage on the winner. If it wants to be taken seriously...players/teams or the coaches choose their players.