PDA

View Full Version : Hand-checking...

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
During the course of the NBA Finals, I have noticed players hand-checking Kobe all postseason long with not ONE whistle. The only whistles relating to a player hand-checking Kobe is when Kobe pulled the swing-through-shot and got a foul on Lee (and did the same once to Pietrus I believe).

I am sure anyone who has watched the playoffs as religiously as I have has seen this.

Does this happen with other superstars? I obviously have paid more attention to the way Kobe is guarded than other players, but I haven't seen other players hacked and handchecked nearly as much as Kobe. In fact, I rarely see another player handchecked at all.

Is it bias from a Laker fan's perspective? I can swear that he has been blatantly handchecked on numerous occaissions.

jimbobjarree
06-15-2009, 04:27 PM
:yawn:

bahama0811
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, its a biased Lakers fans opinion. Kobe gets tons of calls, no reason to call a foul on the defender every time he touches the ball. You won the Championship, enough said. Congrats on the win, the rest is just sour grapes. Enjoy the win, don't complain about no calls.

BALLER71
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
:yawn:

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, its a biased Lakers fans opinion. Kobe gets tons of calls, no reason to call a foul on the defender every time he touches the ball. You won the Championship, enough said. Congrats on the win, the rest is just sour grapes. Enjoy the win, don't complain about no calls.

Kobe does get tons of calls... so it's okay to handcheck him? Lebron gets more calls, are players allowed to handcheck him as much as they want?

jimbobjarree
06-15-2009, 04:36 PM
the whole worlds against Kobe, we get it, sheeshh

ManRam
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Let 'em play. The refs did a good job of that last night. If only every game was called like that. If refs blew a whistle for every hand check, I'd stop watching basketball.

Squad13
06-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Its easy to say that Kobe gets all the calls and we sure hear it, but in reality he was getting screwed in alot of ways. Hate all you want but its the truth, obvious calls that weren't getting called for someone that is supposed to get un fair calls...(lebron)

bahama0811
06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
It's all fine and well that he gets fouled too much for your liking. The season is over, go and celebrate. Don't come whine and complain that Kobe doesn't get enough calls because it doesn't really matter now.

ManRam
06-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Its easy to say that Kobe gets all the calls and we sure hear it, but in reality he was getting screwed in alot of ways. Hate all you want but its the truth, obvious calls that weren't getting called for someone that is supposed to get un fair calls...(lebron)

They both get their fair share of calls. The difference is LeBron, when he attacks, goes all the way to the hoop, because he's better at it, and a worse shooter. When Kobe attacks, he usually ends up taking a mid range shot. Which situation are you more likely to get a call? Taking a fade away jump shot, or going through three guys to get a lay up. They are such different offensive players. Kobe is the drop dead shooter. LeBron isn't. LeBron is the explosive attacker who gets to the rim at will. Kobe isn't as good at doing that...although he's better than everyone at it not named LeBron or Wade.

They score in such different ways.

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
They both get their fair share of calls. The difference is LeBron, when he attacks, goes all the way to the hoop, because he's better at it, and a worse shooter. When Kobe attacks, he usually ends up taking a mid range shot. Which situation are you more likely to get a call? Taking a fade away jump shot, or going through three guys to get a lay up. They are such different offensive players. Kobe is the drop dead shooter. LeBron isn't. LeBron is the explosive attacker who gets to the rim at will. Kobe isn't as good at doing that...although he's better than everyone at it not named LeBron or Wade.

Ohhhh, okay, I understand now.

So Kobe gets enough calls since he's a jump shooter, so you can go ahead and handcheck him... no one else though.

Go ahead and slap his arm a few times while he's shooting while you're at it, the guy is too good at midrange jumpers for his own good.

Since refs are bound to call some fouls in Kobe's favor through the course of a game, when he drives in, unless he's absolutley hacked, don't call it.

Yea, I completely understand man. If Kobe were to get all the calls Lebron gets, Kobe would avg 50ppg and the game would be incredibly slow.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Tmac gets handchecked every possession of every game he plays :)

Squad13
06-15-2009, 05:30 PM

I don't need to know how Lebron and Kobe play and the differences between the two, thanks though. I'm talking about Lebron getting breathed on and getting calls, while kobe is getting hacked and doesn't get the call. While lebron gets blocked clean and its a foul.

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't need to know how Lebron and Kobe play and the differences between the two, thanks though. I'm talking about Lebron getting breathed on and getting calls, while kobe is getting hacked and doesn't get the call. While lebron gets blocked clean and its a foul.

Basically,

Lebron got Dwight fouled out from an absolutely 100% clear cut CLEAN BLOCK.

Kobe gets hit on the wrist/hand and ends up airballing it (Pietrus got absolutely no part of the ball, he hit Kobe initially on the wrist and then the hand). No foul there. And this was not the only example, there were countless others in the Orlando series.

GspLAL
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
We just won the title and people are still complaining?

madiaz3
06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Then if he isn't getting handchecked can we agree that the whole 90's players would dominate this era because of handchecking is a load of bull? Because they clearly don't call it, but that's okay by me. Makes for better basketball, the less stoppage of play, the better.

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Then if he isn't getting handchecked can we agree that the whole 90's players would dominate this era because of handchecking is a load of bull? Because they clearly don't call it, but that's okay by me. Makes for better basketball, the less stoppage of play, the better.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Kobe is kinda playing by 90's era basketball in addition to advanced defenses being legal in the NBA. He's being handchecked and having to play against the Zone and still putting up 32ppg 7apg 5rpg.

ManRam
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM

As a Magic fan, in the Cleveland/Orlando series...LeBron earned 95% of the fouls he drew. He is the most aggressive player in the NBA. I don't think we "breathed" on him and the refs called it. I think we fouled him because he had out defenders on their heels all series long.

You are making gross generalizations. It's silly really.

LA_Raiders
06-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Hell Yeah, there is no respect from the NBA & Refs to the best player in the League...but guess what LA just won regardless....

Black Mamba is The Real King...

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 06:49 PM
As a Magic fan, in the Cleveland/Orlando series...LeBron earned 95% of the fouls he drew. He is the most aggressive player in the NBA. I don't think we "breathed" on him and the refs called it. I think we fouled him because he had out defenders on their heels all series long.

You are making gross generalizations. It's silly really.

And you feel like Kobe was not fouled when:

Pietrus and Lee were both handchecking Kobe and went uncalled until Kobe got fed up withit and just swung through their arms to draw the foul since refs were not calling the handchecking.

Pietrus hit Kobe on the wrist on a jumper, not touching the ball at all, and causing Kobe to airball the shot.

Rashard Lewis tapped Kobe on the elbow on Kobe's last second shot (the one right before Hedo blocked Kobe from behind).

Kobe's end of first half jumper which Pietrus clearly hit Kobe on the elbow/arm, causing Kobe's arm to shoot the ball in an extremely bizarre way.

When on the play that Kobe got his finger dislocated again (early in game 5) when Pietrus and Lewis were mugging Kobe, being allowed to not only handcheck Kobe, but reach in at any and all angles, and hooking Kobe's arm.

Do you also feel that it was a Kobe turnover when Hedo popped the ball out of Kobe's hands out of bounds in a crucial clutch possession? The replay showed that it clearly did not touch Kobe in any way whatsoever. This was I think the possession right before OT was forced when Hedo blocked Kobe from behind.

There were numerous other ones, these are the ones I remember clearly.

OJMAYO32MVP!
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
hi

ko8e24
07-15-2009, 07:43 PM
hi

bye u banned idiot

Bashna
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
And you feel like Kobe was not fouled when:

Pietrus and Lee were both handchecking Kobe and went uncalled until Kobe got fed up withit and just swung through their arms to draw the foul since refs were not calling the handchecking.

Pietrus hit Kobe on the wrist on a jumper, not touching the ball at all, and causing Kobe to airball the shot.

Rashard Lewis tapped Kobe on the elbow on Kobe's last second shot (the one right before Hedo blocked Kobe from behind).

Kobe's end of first half jumper which Pietrus clearly hit Kobe on the elbow/arm, causing Kobe's arm to shoot the ball in an extremely bizarre way.

When on the play that Kobe got his finger dislocated again (early in game 5) when Pietrus and Lewis were mugging Kobe, being allowed to not only handcheck Kobe, but reach in at any and all angles, and hooking Kobe's arm.

Do you also feel that it was a Kobe turnover when Hedo popped the ball out of Kobe's hands out of bounds in a crucial clutch possession? The replay showed that it clearly did not touch Kobe in any way whatsoever. This was I think the possession right before OT was forced when Hedo blocked Kobe from behind.

There were numerous other ones, these are the ones I remember clearly.

All your points are nul...because quite frankly, Kobe got more close-calls go in his favor than fouls being uncalled...You recall 6 or 7 specifically, well, i'm sure if you were to rewatch the finals (Maybe not you, but an Unbias Basketball fan) they would find plenty of if calls, or even fouls that were called when there was no foul on the plan...Get over it, Kobe, Lebron, and wade are babysat by the refs. No more than the other, Lebron gets more fouls because hes at the Basket and around the rim getting beat on more. Wade aswell, Kobe takes more outside shots, and steps into my fouls than the other 2.

Also, this thread should be locked... This Thread proves how terribly whiny and b!tchy Kobe fans are..Laker fans are usually fine, Kobe fans need to get over themselves.

Lebron is clearly the better player. Stop arguing, accept it...Move on with your life.

ko8e24
07-15-2009, 07:58 PM
All your points are nul...because quite frankly, Kobe got more close-calls go in his favor than fouls being uncalled...You recall 6 or 7 specifically, well, i'm sure if you were to rewatch the finals (Maybe not you, but an Unbias Basketball fan) they would find plenty of if calls, or even fouls that were called when there was no foul on the plan...Get over it, Kobe, Lebron, and wade are babysat by the refs. No more than the other, Lebron gets more fouls because hes at the Basket and around the rim getting beat on more. Wade aswell, Kobe takes more outside shots, and steps into my fouls than the other 2.

Also, this thread should be locked... This Thread proves how terribly whiny and b!tchy Kobe fans are..Laker fans are usually fine, Kobe fans need to get over themselves.

Lebron is clearly the better player. Stop arguing, accept it...Move on with your life.

Wow, your replying to a post that was exactly one month ago today. Calm down, Lakers Champs, Kobe finals MVP, Lebron gets dunked on, bye.

nycclipse110
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
hand checking should be legal in the first place.

tr4shb0t
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
In the playoffs, refs do whatever they need to do to keep the games close so that all fans keep watching whether it goes against superstars or not doesn't matter. Blowout = horrible ratings.

Just be happy the Lakers won

sp1derm00
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM

No, sir. Pietrus and Lee both handchecked Kobe uncalled UNTIL the incident I listed where Kobe swung his arms through on the shot attempts.

The handchecking went on for multiple possessions.

And yes, hand-checking should be allowed, I 100% completely agree. It should not be allowed for guarding only one player (Kobe). It should be allowed league-wide.

ko8e24
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
OMG, just stop, we prevailed while 29 other teams lost. just chill and lets worry about resigning lamar!!!!

D-Will4Prez
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Kobe gets uncalled offensive fouls all the ******* time. Stop whining about a few hand-checks.

MPScribbles
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh good, I was hoping that this would be another Kobe vs LeBron thread.

IBleedPurple
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Even though so far every comment made against the Lakers in this thread has been considered radical......

You have just signed one of the biggest hand-checkers in the league in Artest, I bet you won't be whining for the other team when there SG/SF's are getting hand-checked all game. It isn't just against Kobe, every good player (especially SF/SG/PG's) get hand checked all the time. Either you don't watch basketball, or your homer glasses need a good cleaning.