View Full Version : Hedo Turkoglu to opt out

x_notorious
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
via ESPN.

I'll post a link when I find one.

Eagles_Guy
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, thats surprising.

And not good for the Magic either. Really not good.

Tom81
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
wow

AllTheWay
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Expected. He is worth more than 7 million, but my bet is he resigns with orlando for anywhere around 9-11 million annually.

what54!?
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
I think no one should be suprised about this. This season hedo showed he was gonna get paid next season. The playoffs only rose his stock. Feel sorry for the magic though, there gonna miss him if no team offers him a real large sum of money. But maybe now they can get an actual PF

FachoinaNYY
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Hes going to get a contract thats worth more than hes worth... And wont be able to perform to the same level as this year. Seen it a thousand times in the NBA when a guy plays for a contract and is, at least somewhat, a product of the team's system.

theuuord
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
He'll probably re-sign. This was expected. Just not so soon.

lakers4sho
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Expected. He is worth more than 7 million, but my bet is he resigns with orlando for anywhere around 9-11 million annually.

But if he wants to resign with Orlando for higher money he should've stayed b/c Orlando could've used its Bird Rights on him.

sp1derm00
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I think Hedo will be back w/ the Magic. I don't think the Magic would risk going back to mediocrity to be under the salary cap when they've probably made millions upon millions over the course of the postseason.

Without Hedo, they aren't nearly as good.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
You really think so, still seems like alot of money for a guy like him. But he made the Finals so its time to overpay, rather than risk losing him for nothing.

Trouble87
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
he's chasing that dollar... I hope if he does go back to the Magic his play doesn't decline after he signs that contract

AllTheWay
06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
You really think so, still seems like alot of money for a guy like him. But he made the Finals so its time to overpay, rather than risk losing him for nothing.

If they keep the deal short(i.e., 2 or 3 years) then it is worth it. If the deal drags on too much and he declines while getting raises, the Magic could be screwed for a while.

ManRam
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't get how anyone thinks this is surprising. Him opting out was a sure thing. He'll make a ton of money, whether it's with the Magic (probably) or not. He's worth more than he would have gotten next year, and his stock is up after the playoffs. He'll make 9+ million a year, for at least 4 or 5 years now...

As a Magic fan, I'm not sure if I want him around for that long. I hope we honestly sign and trade him. I love Hedo so much, but I think it's time to move on with him. Give the reins of the offense to Jameer, move Shard to the 3, and go from there.

ManRam
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Here a link too...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magic-turkoglu-free-agent-061509,0,7018249.story

Catfish1314
06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
This is no surprise. He would have been set to make only about 70 percent of what he's worth next season. The Magic will have a hard time keeping him if his agent looks at Rashard Lewis' salary and uses it as a base. Especially considering Hedo is an all around better player than Shard.

The Intimidator
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
The fact that he announces this the day after the Finals is a bit disappointing, because it means that he had every intention of opting out while he was still playing. Maybe if he focused more on hitting shots than on his next contract, his team would still be alive.

BkOriginalOne
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Ironically, I think that hedo would be a great fit for the Lakers.

the unknown
06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
You really dont need to worry about it to much. Worry about the pg position more. Hedo will resign... He is a winner and he loves Orlando he just wants more cake...You can make up the money difference with Lue and Johnson falling off (a lil more than 4 million).. Hedo was going to get 7 mill so you can suppliment the different next year with those expirings.. he diserves 10-12 a year

Here is the questions
Is Jameer back??
Alston will not come off the bench so you have to trade him..
If Lue and Johnson dont resign you need a new pg
You traded your first round draft pick for Alston.
You need a banging pf soo maybe you dont resign hedo and get sheed for mle??

Reddd
06-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Everyone plays they're hearts out while on the last year of the contract.
He'll definetly stay with the Magic, but will he be at least on the same level next year, when the big money is rollin', I hope so

Reddd
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Damn him if he doesn't stay:mad:

Kidd>>>K-Mart
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
he will resign with the Magic, he just opting out so he will get more money

brownies23
06-15-2009, 01:16 PM
But if he wants to resign with Orlando for higher money he should've stayed b/c Orlando could've used its Bird Rights on him.

It doesn't matter if he opted out or not, the Magic can still use their bird rights on him.The thing is though, according to their GM, they don't want to go over the cap. Therefore I don't see him being resigned.

Thatruth32
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
hedo is bout to cash in on a good playoff showing

Master Mind
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
It would be a big blow to the Magic if he signs elsewhere....

pf289
06-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Philly will welcome you with open arms Hedo...

ucantcme69
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
You cant use your bird rights to resign anyone who is still under contract, which Hedo would have still been under contract for next year if he hadnt opted out. Therefor the bird rights thing has no barring on this topic.

mikantsass
06-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Good fits for Hedo:

Cavs, Magic, Rockets, Knicks, Mavericks

LA_Raiders
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Orlando needs him but he doesn't worth more than 9M/Yr IMO...

ManRam
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
You cant use your bird rights to resign anyone who is still under contract, which Hedo would have still been under contract for next year if he hadnt opted out. Therefor the bird rights thing has no barring on this topic.

Not true. If he opts out, he's out of his contract. He becomes an unrestricted free agent. Bird rights apply to any and all unrestricted free agents who have played for a team for three years. The Magic can sign him for any amount regardless of their cap situation.

ManRam
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
It doesn't matter if he opted out or not, the Magic can still use their bird rights on him.The thing is though, according to their GM, they don't want to go over the cap. Therefore I don't see him being resigned.

Vander Weide said he is willing to pay the luxury tax next season.

blazerman
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
All I know is earlier in the season he hit a 3pt shoot with .08 seconds left against the Blazers, that shot was the difference between in the Blazers being the 4th seed or the 2nd seed.
All Im saying is he came up big for his team this yr and he was the difference SO PAY THE MAN!!

iluvsports2much
06-16-2009, 01:34 AM
hes gonna go to the lakers....he wants a ring and LA is where he will get one...:clap: lakers lose lamar odom and bring in turk...lol

TheDiggler
06-16-2009, 05:23 AM
Not really a surprise. Türkoglu said before the playoffs he wants to to have a clear mind for the next years. He said, he has family and doesn't want to move every year to different teams, what everybody can understand. Second thing is, MAGIC have to save some money, to get under the luxury in the upcoming year. Dwight and Jameer have big contracts. Lewis, too. Hedo deserves more money, so as Gortat. They can't pay them both AND get under the luxury tax.

Hidayet Türkoglu will pick a team, that offers him (in his opinion) the most security for the next years. A well paid, long term contract at a competitive team. There's not many that could and will do that. Sacramento, who knows how they will play next year, but Sacramento is an option for him I think. Maybe not really competitive, gut who knows. Hedo could definitely get a good paid, long term of the KINGS and, he knows the living there.

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Magic are already in trouble lol. I read somewhere that even though the Pistons are interested in Hedo, they might go after Trevor Ariza. Magic will have a tough time keeping both Hedo and Gortat though. Maybe trade away one of their PG for money and get rid of that PG jam?

JayW_1023
06-17-2009, 04:26 AM
I seriously hope he'll return to San Antonio. He is one of my favorite players in the NBA. He is so much better than Rashard Lewis, it's not even funny...I understand it if he thinks 'if someone overpays Shard, why can't someone overpay me too'?

Gambeezy
06-17-2009, 05:20 AM
hes gonna go to the lakers....he wants a ring and LA is where he will get one...:clap: lakers lose lamar odom and bring in turk...lol

Doubtful man. Lakers won't be able to give Turk the money he is going to be demanding next season. Wouldn't get your hopes up.

Durant is hype
06-17-2009, 10:15 AM
This is no surprise. He would have been set to make only about 70 percent of what he's worth next season. The Magic will have a hard time keeping him if his agent looks at Rashard Lewis' salary and uses it as a base. Especially considering Hedo is an all around better player than Shard.

Good point,thus causing a lot of conflict were can lead to Hedo moving elsewhere.

torontosports10
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
If the Raps could somehow sign him and then keep Marion it would give us a staring lineup of

Bargs
Bosh
Marion
Turk
Jose

That would be enough for 3-6 seed I'd think. If we arent able to sign anyone tho, Id like to deal Bosh

masalex1205
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Turkoglu at SG? Don't know about that one

EastCoastBaller
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
kool