PDA

View Full Version : Would Cleveland have given the Lakers a better series?

shonk688
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
:)

JordansBulls
06-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Cleveland would have had HCA so it would have been tougher for sure.

borat
06-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Fact is Cleveland couldn't get by a team that the lakers just basically ran through in 5 games........and they had HCA against the magic.

Lakers would have finished in 5 against the overrated Cavs as well.

_KB24_
06-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Fact is Cleveland couldn't get by a team that the lakers just basically ran through in 5 games........and they had HCA against the magic.

Agreed. Cleveland could have easily been swept by the Magic if it wasn't for LBJ's miracle three. Lakers beat the Magic in 5 in a pretty competitive series so I would say maybe in 5 for LA against the "Lebroners".

LA412
06-15-2009, 01:18 AM
idk i think the reffing would have been EXTREMELY biased towards LeBron so the series would've been pretty long

#1Mavericksfan
06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
The Lakers would have beat that one man Cavs team 4-0...Kobe would have outplayed Lebron yet again and Odom would have been grabing alot of rebounds.

tr4shb0t
06-15-2009, 01:24 AM
idk i think the reffing would have been EXTREMELY biased towards LeBron so the series would've been pretty long

true. the league refuses to let Lebron look bad. it would have been like game 4 every time.

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2009, 01:25 AM
Hate what ifs. No, Cleveland would not have given the Lakers a better series. They lost to the Magic (with HCA, mind you) for a reason. The Lakers, in turn, beat the Magic. To say that Cleveland would have given the Lakers a better series is a slap in the face to Orlando, who deserved to win the Eastern title. Cleveland wasn't on the Magics level, and would have been even more outmatched by the Lakers, who would have presented the same match-up problems for Cleveland, albeit with far more skilled players than Orlando.

Jahari Kavi
06-15-2009, 01:27 AM
this thread is pointless...........

Statik1
06-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Magic beat us twice during the regular season and we beat them in the finals 4-1.

Lakers swept the series with Cleavland during the regular season, dont need to go any further.

Cav's for the life of them couldn't guard Howard. Look how well the Lakers did against Howard, he had no where near the series against us like he did the Cav's.

If the Magic would of had a different offensive philosophy then put the big man in the middle while everyone else sit around the perimeter and wait for the 3, this series would of gone longer. You live and die by the 3 and it was proven big time in the finals.

RaysFan
06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Yes. The Magic were a great matchup for LA. They were the opposite of Boston and Cleveland....which is good in some ways but not matching up against L.A.

DfinFan1
06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Better than the magic, yes, but still an uphill battle against the love affair the refs and nba have for the L A Fakers.

LakersIn5
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
^lol haterrrrrrrrr!

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
It doesn't matter the Lakers won the championship. Cavs weren't good enough to get there so by simple logic NO the Cavs would have played worse.

Should I start a thread about last year's finals and say "Would the Celtics have won if Bynum and Ariza were not injured?"
NO because it DOES NOT MATTER

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Oh... the Magic beat the Cavs when the Cavs had homecourt advantage (4-2).
Lakers beat the Magic with homecourt advantage 4-1. How is that series going to be tougher?

You hate the Lakers and need to grow up and stop being so biased.

Lakers won they are the best team in the NBA. Kobe Bryant is the best player in the world. Maybe you are just upset he has 4 rings now. Relax even I don't think he will reach MJ's level of six rings. It is okay MJ will always be the best.

mikantsass
06-15-2009, 09:07 AM

And they arent extremely biased toward Kobe? He gets just as many calls. And Phil Jackson would just complain like the little cry baby he is and get fined after every game. The Cavs would win all of the games in Cleveland because of all the LeBron calls, and same for the Lakers in LA with all the Kobe calls.

Perfect world for next year is a healthy KG and a Bos vs LA finals

Lakers80's
06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
And they arent extremely biased toward Kobe? He gets just as many calls. And Phil Jackson would just complain like the little cry baby he is and get fined after every game. The Cavs would win all of the games in Cleveland because of all the LeBron calls, and same for the Lakers in LA with all the Kobe calls.

Perfect world for next year is a healthy KG and a Bos vs LA finals

"If" the celtics will make it to the "eastern finals"!:D

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Why did Orlando beat Cleveland? Cleveland had nobody who could cover Rashard. However, Cleveland has plenty of guys to cover Gasol and Bynum. The mismatches would not have been so easy for the Lakers. Just look at the matchups:

PG - Mo vs Fisher - I give the slight edge to Mo. Mo would have done better than Alston/Jameer
SG - Delonte vs Kobe - Kobe by a ton. Delonte and others at SG would have been the same as Lee & Pietrus
SF - LeBron vs Ariza - LeBron by a ton. LBJ would have done so much more than what Hedo did
PF - Varejao/Wallace vs Gasol - Gasol by a bit. Lewis struggled offensively; at least V/W can defend and rebound
C - Big Z vs Bynum - Big Z by a bit. Big Z would have spread the floor and been smarter on fouls than Howard.

The NBA is all about matchups. Cleveland didn't match up well versus Orlando, but they matched up pretty well against L.A. The Lakers still probably would have won it all, but it would have gone at least 6 games if not more.

azkarraga
06-15-2009, 10:02 AM
right now, magic are a better team than cavs. so no.

lakers4sho
06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Cleveland does NOT match well against the Lakers. Too undersized. Odom and Gasol were grabbing every rebound they could get against an undersized Cavs frontcourt. Then add Bynum to the mix.

And of course...Kobe vs. Delonte West...yeah.

S-Dot
06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Same thing I thought when I read the title of the thread

Knickrocketsfan
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Magic beat us twice during the regular season and we beat them in the finals 4-1.

Lakers swept the series with Cleavland during the regular season, dont need to go any further.

Cav's for the life of them couldn't guard Howard. Look how well the Lakers did against Howard, he had no where near the series against us like he did the Cav's.

If the Magic would of had a different offensive philosophy then put the big man in the middle while everyone else sit around the perimeter and wait for the 3, this series would of gone longer. You live and die by the 3 and it was proven big time in the finals.

im tired of all of this bs man the lakers are a boring team throughout the whole playoffs. Now here comes all the criticisms saying im a hater well its true. They are a 1 man team just like the cavs. Kobe gets biases calls and they are worst then james. At least james is driving when he gets the bs calls but kobe get all the calls on jump shots.

The lakers played the same defense the whole time man. They double team everyone EVERYONE. The lakers are not a good defensive team. I am tired of the double standards of laker fans and everyone else to the topic of kobe v Lebron. Dont get tme wrong im not a lebron james fan i hate both of these players but don't say that lebron get the call if u dont recognize that kobe does 2

pebloemer
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
People say this thread is pointless, but I'm not so sure it is.

There are two prevailing themes in the discussion. So people say it is simple logic that if Orlando beat Cleveland 4-1 and LA beat Orlando 4-1, than how in the world would Cleveland give LA more trouble?

The other way of thinking is through matchups? Cleveland had no answer for Orlando's most dominant player, LA did. But how does Cleveland answer to LA in matchups?

How much do matchups' have to do with 7 game series?? Is it enough to counter the logic that if Orlando beats Cleveland and LA beats Orlando that LA would beat Cleveland?

Does Cleveland even match up better against the Lakers? I'm not so sure they do, so I don't think the matchup argument works in this case. I'm sure LeBron could guard Kobe, not Delonte West, West could be thrown on Fisher and Williams on Ariza. That could probably be better than West guarding Kobe and Kobe shooting over him all game. But then the Cavs would still have Odom, Gasol and Bynum to worry about. Not sure there is enough size and speed to handle the versatility of the Lakers front court.

Could it have been a longer series? Possibly. Orlando could have shot a lot better and made it a longer series too. Either way, I think the Lakers win though.

king4day
06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Although this series only went 5, the Magic gave LA all they could handle. A couple of missed opportunities and LA took advantage. That's the series.

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Cleveland does NOT match well against the Lakers. Too undersized. Odom and Gasol were grabbing every rebound they could get against an undersized Cavs frontcourt. Then add Bynum to the mix.

And of course...Kobe vs. Delonte West...yeah.

Undersized? Mo is as big as Fisher, Kobe is bigger than Delonte, LeBron much bigger than Ariza, Varejao/Wallace roughly the same size as Gasol/Odom, and Big Z as big or bigger than Bynum. The Cavs were just as big or bigger where it counts - SF, PF & C.

The question was - would Cleveland had played this series tougher than Orlando? With homecourt and the matchups being tougher on L.A. than what Orlando had, the answer is YES.

lovethegame
06-15-2009, 10:36 AM
first the Lakers still would have won but the series would have been longer than 5 games. try not to forget yes lebron made a last second shot in game 2 of the ECF but in game 1 lewis did the same and in game 4 if it wasn't for a slip by delonte going for a rebound that game would have gone the other way. magic had all the luck in this series and none in the NBA finals. plus howard came back down to earth at the charity stripe in the finals. needless to say the Lakers were the best team this year and probably will be next year as well. they do need to resign Lamar and Trevor though.

lakers4sho
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Undersized? Mo is as big as Fisher, Kobe is bigger than Delonte, LeBron much bigger than Ariza, Varejao/Wallace roughly the same size as Gasol/Odom, and Big Z as big or bigger than Bynum. The Cavs were just as big or bigger where it counts - SF, PF & C.

The question was - would Cleveland had played this series tougher than Orlando? With homecourt and the matchups being tougher on L.A. than what Orlando had, the answer is YES.

That's just plain old dumb. I didn't know 6'8" and 6'9" are "just as big or bigger" than 7'0" or 6'11"

Kobe will take the responsibility of shading LeBron, plus he has the bigs to cover up the paint if need be. And don't even bring up Zydrunas Ilgauskas. He wasn't even able to utilize that "size" against Dwight Howard.

prodigy
06-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Its called matchups. Cavs matchup better with the lakers then the magic. How do you not know that?

It would have been much better thats for sure. Well mybe shaq and lebron will see the lakers in the finals next season.

Tom81
06-15-2009, 11:09 AM
what if ....what if Lee make shot in game 2 ,what if Howard make 1of 2 FT in game 4 ...what if kobe make 5 FT in game 3 ...cavs lose in CF and no one know how thay will play in the finales.

prodigy
06-15-2009, 11:10 AM
That's just plain old dumb. I didn't know 6'8" and 6'9" are "just as big or bigger" than 7'0" or 6'11"

Kobe will take the responsibility of shading LeBron, plus he has the bigs to cover up the paint if need be. And don't even bring up Zydrunas Ilgauskas. He wasn't even able to utilize that "size" against Dwight Howard.

chill man, Don't start making fun of people.

gasol and andrew Do not have the speed howard does, So that would help Z. Kobe and lebron would have a great battle. But Kobe was clearly slowing down in the finals. As lebron was scoring 40 a game vs the magic.

Don't act like the lakers big men could stop lebron lol. Howard couldn't. Lebron drove into him and made layups like it was nothing.

ink
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Although this series only went 5, the Magic gave LA all they could handle. A couple of missed opportunities and LA took advantage. That's the series.

I agree. If the Magic had been a more seasoned team, they could have put away a couple of those close games and we would still be watching the series. It was closer than people are acknowledging. The 4-1 series total is deceiving. The Lakers were just far superior in closing out games, and that comes from experience.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Definitely, those saying the Lakers beat the Magic therefore would beat the Cavs even easier dont know jack about basketball.

atlantacavs
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
:)

if the cavs where on point maybe but the lakers are just to long and athletic for anyone.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree. If the Magic had been a more seasoned team, they could have put away a couple of those close games and we would still be watching the series. It was closer than people are acknowledging. The 4-1 series total is deceiving. The Lakers were just far superior in closing out games, and that comes from experience.

That may be true, but this is a seasoned team. And yes the 4-1 mark is deceiving, the Cavs still wouldve put up more of a fight. When a team is built around its shooting ability with a superstar thats not ready for prime time its never a contest, once that shooting comes back to earth.

The Magic couldve been close every game but never wouldve seriously challenged the Lakers. Too many coaching mistakes, and not enough leadership from the players. Bron wouldve provided the leadership, sadly he ran into a team that was shooting the lights out. Once that flickered out like I was hoping it wouldnt, I knew it wouldnt be a good finals.

Lakers in 6 or 7 vs the Cavs

Think of it this way, the Magic vs the Cavs played like a team that had 3 All-Stars and one of them was Shaq. Yet they still pushed them 6, the Magic fell to earth against the Lakers in part because of the versatility of their frontcourt, but also because they werent going to keep hitting those wide open shots at the same rate in the earlier rounds, they didnt and not surprisingly lost in 5 quick games.

atlantacavs
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
people dont want consider gasol a difference maker dont know basketball he is one of the best skilled big man in the league. and lets not forget before he came to the lakers he was the memphis griz everything and now he has to take a backseat to the one of the game's best.

atlantacavs
06-15-2009, 11:29 AM
indeed u have a vaild point but with delonte at the 2 the cavs would have struggled and they have no height to contest at the four the lakers are 6'7 and better at the 2 3 and 6'11 - 7'0 at the four and 5 the cavs would have struggled now of course lebron would have a had a great series but that is the issue we as cavs fans continue to face lebron cant do it by himself he needs help like yesterday!!!!!!!!

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM

You made me pull out the measurements since you called me "dumb".

Big Z 7'3" 285, Varejao 6'11" 260, Joe Smith 6'10" 225, Wallace 6'9" 240, LBJ 6'8" 250

Gasol 7'0" 250, Odom 6'10" 230, Bynum 7'0" 285

Big Z is actually bigger than Bynum. Both are about as agile but Big Z is much more polished. Howard was way too athletic for Big Z.

Gasol and Varejao are practically the same in terms of size - Gasol an inch taller but Varejao heavier and arguably more athletic.

Smith and Wallace could play Odom if you go by your size issue. With Wallace's above average D, he would have also guarded Gasol much better than Rashard did.

Don't forget that LBJ would have played PF at times when Odom was in. Odom is 2 inches taller, but LBJ is freakishly bigger, faster and more athletic.

Your size issue carries no merit at all.

lakers4sho
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Then explain why the Lakers dominated the Cavs on the rebounding area during their regular season games.

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Then explain why the Lakers dominated the Cavs on the rebounding area during their regular season games.

If you took the time to read my initial post, I still think the Lakers would have won the title. However, I firmly believe that Cleveland would have played LA tougher than Orlando did.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Who was playing and who wasnt? What happened last year? There are only 2 game samples each year so your not dealing with much evidence.

ottograham14
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
This thread is pointless. Just allows everyone to bash on everyone else, which seems to be a daily goal for some people on this site. Well done on posting this thread.

Brooke
06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Odom and Gasol were all over the place on the boards. Odom by himself took control of the game in Cleveland when Kobe was under the weather

Kidd>>>K-Mart
06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
yea, no doubt

Raoul Duke
06-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I think Cavs/Lakers would have been a much more competitive series. The Cavs are a very good team and the Magic were just a matchup nightmare for them.

fresh prince
06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Why did Orlando beat Cleveland? Cleveland had nobody who could cover Rashard. However, Cleveland has plenty of guys to cover Gasol and Bynum. The mismatches would not have been so easy for the Lakers. Just look at the matchups:

PG - Mo vs Fisher - I give the slight edge to Mo. Mo would have done better than Alston/Jameer
SG - Delonte vs Kobe - Kobe by a ton. Delonte and others at SG would have been the same as Lee & Pietrus
SF - LeBron vs Ariza - LeBron by a ton. LBJ would have done so much more than what Hedo did
PF - Varejao/Wallace vs Gasol - Gasol by a bit. Lewis struggled offensively; at least V/W can defend and rebound
C - Big Z vs Bynum - Big Z by a bit. Big Z would have spread the floor and been smarter on fouls than Howard.

The NBA is all about matchups. Cleveland didn't match up well versus Orlando, but they matched up pretty well against L.A. The Lakers still probably would have won it all, but it would have gone at least 6 games if not more.

This is the most naive way to evaulaute a match up..Please step your game up..

In Real life matchups don't work that way by your logic Orlando should have just beat the Lakers...

Alston/Jameer > Fisher/Farmar
Kobe > Lee
Ariza<Turkologu
Gasol= Lewis
Bynum< Dwight

The Magic had 3 clear advantages of head to head match ups on paper with a tie in Ra Lewis and Gasol..but there is more.... much more to winning games than player A is better than player B

P.I.
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
No because Cavs are over-rated and Orlando exposed them.
Orlando is by far the best in the east. If KG was not injured they would of been close second if not first if he was 100%. Id still say Olando is better though.

madiaz3
06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
I don't see how Lebron on Ariza is a mismatch by a ton. Ariza is one of the more ideal defenders you can put on him, athletic, quick lateral speed, and he is very strong though not Lebron strong.

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
This is the most naive way to evaulaute a match up..Please step your game up..

In Real life matchups don't work that way by your logic Orlando should have just beat the Lakers...

Alston/Jameer > Fisher/Farmar
Kobe > Lee
Ariza<Turkologu
Gasol= Lewis
Bynum< Dwight

The Magic had 3 clear advantages of head to head match ups on paper with a tie in Ra Lewis and Gasol..but there is more.... much more to winning games than player A is better than player B

It's mismatches. Rashard Lewis was covered by Odom or Ariza for a majority of the games. Other than LeBron, Cleveland didn't have anybody to cover Rashard AND Lewis. Gasol played center more than PF in this series. As a complete player, Gasol showed he was better than Dwight. Here is what the true matchups were from the finals:

Alston/Nelson slightly over Fisher/Farmar/Brown - this could be argued that it was even
Lee/Pietrus way under Kobe
Turkoglu slightly over Ariza - if you look at all the stats, it was more even than you think
Lewis under Odom/Gasol
Howard = Bynum/Gasol

The only advantages Orlando might have had were slight ones at PG and SF. But what was the difference in the series - Kobe Bryant. His big advantage at SG and his domination was enough to pull ahead in the 4 wins. The one game he struggled down the stretch was the only game they lost.

atlantacavs
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
first didnt call u dumb if thought the cavs would have played better the idea was dumb. you brought ur measure stick so now i have mine first of the best team won and the second best team lost. the magic because they lost to la and not the cavs.u said mo was bigger than fish will we see thats not true. cavs starting line up mo 6-1 west 6-3 the king 6-8 varejao 6-11 and z 7-3. lakers fish 6-1 kobe 6-6 or 6-7 ariza or odom 6-8 and 6-11 gasol 7-0 and bynum 7-0. bench play because clearly brown only uses a gibson, wally, and smith so 6-2 ,6-7 and 6-10. lets see the lakers and phil the greatest coach alive uses bown 6-4 at the point farmar 6-2 saha 6-7 walton 6-8 so if phil just said lets go big kobe at point 6-7 ariza at the two 6-8 odom at the three 6-10 gasol at the four 7-0 and bynum in the middle at 7-0. next time remember the lakers have players who can play mutilple postions if like odom who can play 1-5 or kobe 1-3 or ariza the two and three or how bout shannon brown who looked great at 6-4 who can in the league as a two and can play the pint now or how bout sasha who is 6'7 and can play the one or two. so listen first and respond later when i said hats off to the lakers who if anybody would have had problems matching up with them they are long and lanky.
1 Daniel Gibson G 6-2
21 J.J. Hickson F 6-9
11 Zydrunas Ilgauskas C 7-3
00 Darnell Jackson F 6-9
23 LeBron James - C F 6-8
8 Tarence Kinsey G 6-6
3 Aleksandar Pavlovic G-F 6-7
32 Joe Smith C-F 6-10
10 Wally Szczerbiak G-F 6-7
17 Anderson Varejao C-F 6-11
4 Ben Wallace - C F-C 6-9
13 Delonte West G 6-3
31 Jawad Williams F 6-9
2 Mo Williams G 6-1
55 Lorenzen Wright F-C 6-11

3 Trevor Ariza F 6-8
12 Shannon Brown G 6-4
24 Kobe Bryant - C G 6-6
17 Andrew Bynum C 7-0
5 Jordan Farmar G 6-2
2 Derek Fisher G 6-1
16 Pau Gasol F-C 7-0
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga C 7-0
6 Adam Morrison F 6-8
7 Lamar Odom F 6-10
21 Josh Powell F-C 6-9
18 Sasha Vujacic G 6-7
4 Luke Walton F 6-8
9 Sun Yue G 6-9

y couldn't play wit the magic.

DJ CHACH
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
jesus..what makes everyone so sure that the lakers cant beat the cavs easy..they did it twice in the regular season, bynum and gasol are too much for sleepy zzzzzzzzzzz to handle...west and mo williams and ben wallace and lebron? cmon th lakers are too deep for the cavs..i honestly wouldve rather seen cavs get swept by lakers just to prove how bad a hyped team like the cavs could be even when the league gives them every single award available...

shonk688
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
This thread is pointless. Just allows everyone to bash on everyone else, which seems to be a daily goal for some people on this site. Well done on posting this thread.

Oh thanks, It makes for good discussion which is what this site is here for.:rolleyes:

atlantacavs
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
i might be a couple inches off give a take a few but u get the point

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
first didnt call u dumb if thought the cavs would have played better the idea was dumb. you brought ur measure stick so now i have mine first of the best team won and the second best team lost. the magic because they lost to la and not the cavs.u said mo was bigger than fish will we see thats not true. cavs starting line up mo 6-1 west 6-3 the king 6-8 varejao 6-11 and z 7-3. lakers fish 6-1 kobe 6-6 or 6-7 ariza or odom 6-8 and 6-11 gasol 7-0 and bynum 7-0. bench play because clearly brown only uses a gibson, wally, and smith so 6-2 ,6-7 and 6-10. lets see the lakers and phil the greatest coach alive uses bown 6-4 at the point farmar 6-2 saha 6-7 walton 6-8 so if phil just said lets go big kobe at point 6-7 ariza at the two 6-8 odom at the three 6-10 gasol at the four 7-0 and bynum in the middle at 7-0. next time remember the lakers have players who can play mutilple postions if like odom who can play 1-5 or kobe 1-3 or ariza the two and three or how bout shannon brown who looked great at 6-4 who can in the league as a two and can play the pint now or how bout sasha who is 6'7 and can play the one or two. so listen first and respond later when i said hats off to the lakers who if anybody would have had problems matching up with them they are long and lanky.
1 Daniel Gibson G 6-2
21 J.J. Hickson F 6-9
11 Zydrunas Ilgauskas C 7-3
00 Darnell Jackson F 6-9
23 LeBron James - C F 6-8
8 Tarence Kinsey G 6-6
3 Aleksandar Pavlovic G-F 6-7
32 Joe Smith C-F 6-10
10 Wally Szczerbiak G-F 6-7
17 Anderson Varejao C-F 6-11
4 Ben Wallace - C F-C 6-9
13 Delonte West G 6-3
31 Jawad Williams F 6-9
2 Mo Williams G 6-1
55 Lorenzen Wright F-C 6-11

3 Trevor Ariza F 6-8
12 Shannon Brown G 6-4
24 Kobe Bryant - C G 6-6
17 Andrew Bynum C 7-0
5 Jordan Farmar G 6-2
2 Derek Fisher G 6-1
16 Pau Gasol F-C 7-0
28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga C 7-0
6 Adam Morrison F 6-8
7 Lamar Odom F 6-10
21 Josh Powell F-C 6-9
18 Sasha Vujacic G 6-7
4 Luke Walton F 6-8
9 Sun Yue G 6-9

y couldn't play wit the magic.

Damn that's hard to read. Orlando beat the Cavs because mismatches it's obvious. Orlando almost lost to Boston who was without their best defensive player (Garnett) and another top 8 player (Powe). Orlando won because the combo of Hedo and Lewis with Dwight backing up was lethal against slow front courts - Big Baby, Perkins, etc. then Big Z, Varejao, Wallace, etc. Had Boston had Garnett for one game, Orlando would have been gone weeks ago. The Lakers just nullified those mismatches with athletic defensive players available at SF and PF.

But what does Cleveland got that Orlando didn't against LA? They have another elite player and they had homecourt advantage. Orlando has a good team, but no elite player like Kobe or LeBron. The slow down play of the playoffs would have benefitted Cleveland more versus LA than it did Orlando because the styles of the players on the teams matched up more. LeBron would have made miracles happen at home and at least make it more of a series. I'm not saying Cleveland wins it, but it wouldn't have been a yawner 4-1.

albertc86
06-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Cleveland would've posed more problems at the PG position, and obviously Kobe would've had his hands full as well, but the Lakers' bigs would've had a field day on the Cavs.

Lo Porto
06-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Gasol is so much better than he gets credit for. Yes - he's a flopper and a whiner, but he is very talented. He would have beat up on Wallace, Varejao and Joe Smith, but they would have worn him down more than Lewis and sometimes Dwight. Big Z and Bynum would have probably gone to Big Z. The Lakers would have won PF and SG and would have had enough talent to win it all.

jiggajay23
06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
jesus..what makes everyone so sure that the lakers cant beat the cavs easy..they did it twice in the regular season, bynum and gasol are too much for sleepy zzzzzzzzzzz to handle...west and mo williams and ben wallace and lebron? cmon th lakers are too deep for the cavs..i honestly wouldve rather seen cavs get swept by lakers just to prove how bad a hyped team like the cavs could be even when the league gives them every single award available...

im gonna have to disagree with you on that one..... zydrunas ilgaskas is SICK...he is not slow he just takes his time and thinks his way through each step he takes....mo williams is SICKER cuz he's an all star and because his guarentees always come true (guarentees with no exceptions)....Lebron is the SICKEST cuz hes god, better then kobe will ever be, actually better then jordan already and i dont wanna hear the talk that kobe has four titles and mj has 6, because players greatness is measured by the # of travelling calls you get everyone knows that....they definately deserve every single award in the league...im disgusted that LEbron wasnt the finals MVP, kobe sucks he doesnt deserve it

still1ballin
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM

well said

Kenny
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Too be fair game 2,3,4 the lakers shoulda woulda coulda won all those games and they were making those plays at the end of the game against the cavs.. That lee layup would of went in against cleveland. Rashard Lewis hit some huge shots at the end of games..

This laker series was a lot closer then a 5 games indicated.. And the Magic simply did not shoot the ball nearly as well against the lakers.. And Gasol imo was the mvp of the series he defended howard so well, which the cavs had nobody to stop him, and the guy seems to hit eveyr shot..

Kenny
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
It's mismatches. Rashard Lewis was covered by Odom or Ariza for a majority of the games. Other than LeBron, Cleveland didn't have anybody to cover Rashard AND Lewis. Gasol played center more than PF in this series. As a complete player, Gasol showed he was better than Dwight. Here is what the true matchups were from the finals:

Alston/Nelson slightly over Fisher/Farmar/Brown - this could be argued that it was even
Lee/Pietrus way under Kobe
Turkoglu slightly over Ariza - if you look at all the stats, it was more even than you think
Lewis under Odom/Gasol
Howard = Bynum/Gasol

The only advantages Orlando might have had were slight ones at PG and SF. But what was the difference in the series - Kobe Bryant. His big advantage at SG and his domination was enough to pull ahead in the 4 wins. The one game he struggled down the stretch was the only game they lost.

did you watch the games... Game 2 he played very poor down the stretch and even was covering lee for the layup that he missed.. game 3 obvious didnt play well and game 4 he was probable worse but it wont get mentioned because fisher hit the big shot.. The guy was awful in game 4

still1ballin
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Too be fair game 2,3,4 the lakers shoulda woulda coulda won all those games and they were making those plays at the end of the game against the cavs.. That lee layup would of went in against cleveland. Rashard Lewis hit some huge shots at the end of games..This laker series was a lot closer then a 5 games indicated.. And the Magic simply did not shoot the ball nearly as well against the lakers.. And Gasol imo was the mvp of the series he defended howard so well, which the cavs had nobody to stop him, and the guy seems to hit eveyr shot..

You can go both ways, in game 3 Kobe missed FT late in the game, turned the ball over and did not close the game. That happens 1 out of 100. It could of been easily a sweep too.

superkegger
06-15-2009, 09:01 PM
It may have been a better series, but the Cavs couldn't get through orlando. So what does it matter? What if Boston had KG? What if Detroit never traded Chauncey? What if Yao and Tmac never got injured? What if Amare didn't get injured? What if Manu didn't get injured? The what if's never end. The Lakers took care of their business, they can't worry about what other teams or players do or don't do. Every team faces adversity, Lakers overcame theirs. End of story.

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Same thing I thought when I read the title of the thread

Cleveland also had homecourt advantage against the Magic and lost 4-2. So what is your point?

Use simple logic.

Magic beat Cleveland
Lakers beat Magic
Therefore Lakers are better than the Cavs. Lakers also beat them twice during the regular season. Lakers are the champions. Thread closed.

I don't know why people are still trying to argue anything. Lakers are the best team in the NBA and Kobe is the best player in the world.

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:04 PM
It may have been a better series, but the Cavs couldn't get through orlando. So what does it matter? What if Boston had KG? What if Detroit never traded Chauncey? What if Yao and Tmac never got injured? What if Amare didn't get injured? What if Manu didn't get injured? The what if's never end. The Lakers took care of their business, they can't worry about what other teams or players do or don't do. Every team faces adversity, Lakers overcame theirs. End of story.

Great post.

SalasBoysfan831
06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
no lakers would of swept them!

shonk688
06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Cleveland also had homecourt advantage against the Magic and lost 4-2. So what is your point?

Use simple logic.

Magic beat Cleveland
Lakers beat Magic
Therefore Lakers are better than the Cavs. Lakers also beat them twice during the regular season. Lakers are the champions. Thread closed.

I don't know why people are still trying to argue anything. Lakers are the best team in the NBA and Kobe is the best player in the world.

I made the thread to ask if it would have been a better series. I dont think the cavs would have beat the Lakers but I just wanted to see if people thought Cleveland would have match up better. No body is try to say the Lakers didn't win. They did its just something to talk about now the seasons over with. Damn some of you people are so whinny. :pity:

cHi8DaL5LA420
06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
this is a stupid and pointless thread... if the cavs could not get passed the magic why and the hell would you think they wouldve gave the lakers a better series... what an idiotic thread... cavs get killed against the magic and lakers whoop the magic... stupid **** pisses me off erase this dumb *** thread

JWO35
06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
If the Cavs made it to the Finals vs. the Lakers

Game 1: Lakers
Game 2: Lakers
Game 3: Lakers
Game 4: Lakers

shonk688
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
this is a stupid and pointless thread... if the cavs could not get passed the magic why and the hell would you think they wouldve gave the lakers a better series... what an idiotic thread... cavs get killed against the magic and lakers whoop the magic... stupid **** pisses me off erase this dumb *** thread

I dont know how many times its already been said on here its called match ups. Maybe you should read some of the other posts before you make yourself look like a complete *******.

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I made the thread to ask if it would have been a better series. I dont think the cavs would have beat the Lakers but I just wanted to see if people thought Cleveland would have match up better. No body is try to say the Lakers didn't win. They did its just something to talk about now the seasons over with. Damn some of you people are so whinny. :pity:

Well use simple logic. No it would not have been a better series.

Magic beat Cavs 4-2.
Lakers beat Magic 4-1.
We don't want to know how bad the Lakers would have beaten the Cavs. It would have been ugly. Cavs overachieved this season and aren't ready for the playoffs. Everyone jumped on the Cavs this season and I think it just built to much pressure on LeBron and the team. They will be a better team next season because they will gain more experience and have less pressure put on them

Kashmir13579
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM

you have to be kidding me. the only game that the lakers "ran through" orlando was the first. the series could have easily been 3-1 orlando for game 5. (d-fishes clutch shots, trevor arizas late game heroics, dwights missed free throws, and courtney's missed layups are the only reasons that LAL won games 2,3,& 4. all of these variables that allowed lakers to "run through" orlando happened late in the fourth quarters.
i'm not saying that the lakers wouldnt have beat the cavs. but with lebron james on the court all bets would be off.

Kashmir13579
06-15-2009, 09:54 PM

i agree with you man, and i think it was a good topic for discussion.

Kashmir13579
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
and just so you all know. kobe would probably not have gotten passed the Houston rockets, and definitely not passed the nuggets without trevor ariza. i think half of you didnt even watch all the games and are just vomiting out your half formed opinions. one

fnoel
06-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I would really have to say no. But different matchups do bring on different outcomes. I recall the Lakers championship runs in the 2000-2002 seasons when they would lose a lot of games against weaker teams in the league.

championships
06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I guess you will never know,will you.

Ovratd1up
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes they would have given them a better series.

Use simple logic.

Magic beat Cleveland
Lakers beat Magic

This logic everyone is using doesn't really work because in the playoffs, it is all about matchups. The Cavs had no one to guard Rashard Lewis, while Odom matched up perfectly. Same with Dwight Howard with Pau and Bynum. The Magic had no one like Lebron in the lanes. And L.A. is perticularly bad at guarding perimiter penetration, which is exactly Lebron's game, and not so much Lewis'. I think the Lakers would have still won, but it would have been more competitive than Orlando. And Orlando has no superstar that can take over a game like Cleveland. So yes, they could have given them a better series.

_KB24_
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM

aha WTF? Mo would not even show up cuz he ****ing sucks balls. Kobe destroys West and Lebron is better than Ariza. Our front court would completely rape yours. ODOM, GASOL, BYNUM against Varejo, Wallace, Z??? Not even fair. And, having Kobe close out the games and watch Lebron in aah, series in 5.

Phitin' Phan
06-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Kobe and Lebron would ultimately cancel each other out for the most part. Take those two out the Lakers are a much better team. Lakers in 5 again.

juggla53
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
LA's Front court would have abused Cleveland's and kobe and lebron would have cancelled eachother out and after lebron cleveland sucks so no it would not have been a better series

dos132
06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
that weries will be a swept if the lakers play cleveland... 4-0

shonk688
06-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Well use simple logic. No it would not have been a better series.

Magic beat Cavs 4-2.
Lakers beat Magic 4-1.
We don't want to know how bad the Lakers would have beaten the Cavs. It would have been ugly. Cavs overachieved this season and aren't ready for the playoffs. Everyone jumped on the Cavs this season and I think it just built to much pressure on LeBron and the team. They will be a better team next season because they will gain more experience and have less pressure put on them

Read the post right before this one its all about matchups.

shonk688
06-15-2009, 11:31 PM
i agree with you man, and i think it was a good topic for discussion.

Thank you, I thought so too. I guess most of the people on here are to immature to have a good discussion about something without getting pissed and saying the thread needs to be closed.

MVMarauder
06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
mY GUESS IS LAKERS would of steamrolled through teh series. Sorry for CAPS

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Depends on the officiating.

BoltLakerPadre
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM

They didn't beat Orlando with HCA, so why would that have made such a big difference in the finals? At least Orlando won in LA during the regular season. The Laker's beat the Cavs twice, including the first (and only real) win in Cleveland.

That series wouldn't have been any more competitive.

BlinkManJan02
06-16-2009, 12:50 AM
the lakers would have beat them for sure, maybe even swept. they were the best this year, good job LAL

Hats off to the Magic though, East Champs is still darn good!

D-Will4Prez
06-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Cavs just woulda embarrassed themselves >.>

TheDiggler
06-16-2009, 05:30 AM
It was the year of the LAKERS. No matter what team, they would've played in the finals. Kobe would've beaten them. Give congrats and credits to LAKERS ... and don't ask to many questions. They just were the best team this year.

ldawg
06-16-2009, 08:28 AM
its an old plain dried out no.

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Lakers in 5 games but without OTs. Easier series than the Magic...

Trinity_man817
06-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I think a cavs vs lakers matchup would of went to 7 games

masalex1205
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
true. the league refuses to let Lebron look bad. it would have been like game 4 every time.

Yeah Kobe never gets the benefit of a doubt:rolleyes:

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Eh, I think LeBron and the Cavs might have taken it to 6 games. Not too much better though. The Lakers just locked it down.

shonk688
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah Kobe never gets the benefit of a doubt:rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: It's so true.

JayW_1023
06-17-2009, 04:19 AM
The Cavs would've made it tougher on the Lakers, mainly because of home court advantage they would've had. The Lakers frontcourt depth would still allow them to win...the but the Cavs match up better with LA than Orlando.

The NBA is all about matchups. The Lakers on the other hand matched up horribly with Houston and were fortunate Yao went down that series. Shane Battier guarded Kobe better than almost anyone ever did that series.

Public Enemy #1
07-17-2009, 04:21 AM
The Cavaliers would have matched up better with the Lakers than the Magic did. But, the Cavaliers were overrated the entire season and didn't have enough offense to beat the Lakers, Magic, and Celtics in the regular season. Home court could have been the difference maker but who knows. I think the Lakers would have won in 6... as much as I hate to say it

DCB/LAL
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Its funny everyone says its about match-ups and how everyone states how the Cavs had no one to match-up with Lewis but LA had Odom who "matched up perfectly" against him!!! Well here me out!! Yeah it is about match-ups and if you guys think Odom was HUGE against Orlando he would of been twice as huge against the Cavs!!! In case you guys forgot Odom has a field day against the Cavs does absolutely anything he wants against the Cavs just abuses them!!!!

Game 1 Game 2
Pts/Rebs Pts/Rebs
Odom 8/10 28/17
gasol 22/12 18/12
Bynum 14/6 DNP
SUM 44/28 46/29

Score 88-105-Lakers 101-91-Lakers

Game 1 Game 2
Pts/Rebs Pts/Rebs
Ilgauskas DNP 22/9
Varejao 10/12 6/9
Wallace 3/6 2/4
SUM 13/18 30/22

Yeah both teams played each other without their C in the first game LA destroyed the Cavs without Big Z and in the Second when LA didn't have Bynum LA still destroyed the Cavs Lamar alone almost out played the entire Cavs front court in game 2!!! So yeah its all about match-ups like everyone says and the Cavs Front court does NOT match-up well against LAs front court!!! Lakers Front court out played the Cavs-LAL-90pts/57Rebs to CLE-43pts/40rebs thats HUGE so next time you wanna say the Cavs match-up better think again Cause they Dont they would of been abused even Worse than what the Magic front court did to them!!!! Not to mention Lebron having a horrendus shooting percentage thanks to the Defense played on him by Ariza and Bryant in the first game he shot 36% going for 23/9/4 and in the second game he shot 25% going for 16/8/12 Kobe in game one shot 40% going for 20/6/12 and in game 2 shot 47% going for 19/3/2 in 35 min of play!!!

Statik1
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/eldiablojoe/OldThreadAlert.jpg

RadiantShot
07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
No, I could see them getting 4-0'd to be honest, they didn't have enough depth to beat the lakers, let alone, if Lebron couldn't carry his team to win it against us, How would he do it against Kobe, Pau, and Lamar?

ko8e24
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
lakers wouldve won in 3

Lakers4ItAll
07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Sweep

Bruno
07-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Lakers in 6. The Lakers wouldn't expose the Cavs, matchup wise like the Magic did, so give them an extra game. Plus, the Lakers took the Cavs, 2-0 in the regular season. Just too much skills inside for the Lakers. Bynum, Pau and Odom would for sure have the edge on Z and Anderson.

Beno7500
07-18-2009, 04:13 AM
I think they would have.

Kyle N.
07-18-2009, 04:17 AM
I didn't read any of the posts up to this point so I don't know if this was said yet. The Magic were a layup and a free throw away from being up 3-1 in the series. The Magic pretty much took the Cavs down handily. So I'll say no. The only things the Cavs had was home court advantage.

MagicBucsSox
07-18-2009, 04:51 AM

wow ran thru? are you seriouswhen a series could easily been flipped i dont think thats being "ran thru",but lakers won end of the day i guess outlandish things can be said by their fans.

cavs wouldve been better because the refs and stern wouldnt let kobe elbow Lebron without a flagrant being called like what happen to that bum jameer intentional or not, lebron woould get non stop foul calls on LA

lizard5781
07-18-2009, 05:13 AM
If KG was healthy, the Celtics would have won it all again

ragee
07-18-2009, 05:43 AM
You should have put a poll... The answer is no... The Cavs lost to the Magic even if they can't contain Lebron... Watch Cavs and Lakers games and you'll see that the Lakers have the right tools to stop the so called King...

Iron24th
07-18-2009, 08:33 AM

Exactly.

Iron24th
07-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Their overrated coach wasn't able to adjust against Howard,so,how the hell he would be able to adjust to KOBE BRYANT ???

GHOSTSNIPER
07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Los Angeles would have packed their Swiffer Sweepers...

king4day
07-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I think it still ends in 5. Magic gave the Lakers a really good series, but a couple of bad breaks made it seem so lopsided.

king4day
07-18-2009, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't call a missed layup/blown non goal tending call and a couple of missed FT's leading to LA wins a Lakers romp.
LA deserved to win but this series was far closer than you're giving the Magic credit for.

agoody117
07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
lol the cavs were overrated all year long.

1WorthyLakerFan
07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
In the NBA finals it is all about match-ups, and while I think the lakers still would have beaten the cav, I think the Magic were a much better matchup for them. Orlando would dominate teams with their size and outside scoring. The lakers size on the inside and speed on the wings took away those advantages.
I think Labron's power would have given the lakers (namely Trevor) fits. I think the lakers would have won in 6 of 7 though.

Toenail Clipper
07-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Cavs IS a one man team, therefore, all the Lakers had to do was defend LeBronze.

Madskillz77
07-18-2009, 12:35 PM
The cavs are the best team alive. Not only would they have given the lakers a better series, but they would have kick their ***. It would of been 4-0 cavs.

ko8e24
07-18-2009, 02:06 PM
The cavs are the best team alive. Not only would they have given the lakers a better series, but they would have kick their ***. It would of been 4-0 cavs.

Drugs!

Grim Reaper
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Yes definitely. Cleveland has trouble with Orlando always but the Lakers have trouble with great defensive teams like Boston and Detroit and Cleveland is a very good defensive team. I think it would have went 7 games and it's a toss up who would have won. Probably Cleveland cuz they would have had homecourt in game 7 but idk.

ko8e24
07-18-2009, 02:11 PM
If KG was healthy, the Celtics would have won it all again

If momma didn't do drugs, you'd be normal. :)

ko8e24
07-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes definitely. Cleveland has trouble with Orlando always but the Lakers have trouble with great defensive teams like Boston and Detroit and Cleveland is a very good defensive team. I think it would have went 7 games and it's a toss up who would have won. Probably Cleveland cuz they would have had homecourt in game 7 but idk.

Really??? It's not the fact that the Lakers went 2-0 against the Cavs during the regular season, but it's how they won their games, by dominating both offensively and defensively.

In the Jan. game in LAL, Lakers 105-Cavs 88 (win by 17, 2nd worst Cavs loss of the 08-09 regular season behind the 30 pt drubbing they received at the hands of Orlando), both Kobe and Lebron had an off-shooting night, but Lakers role players beat the crap out of Cavs role players (which is why Kobe had 12 assts to go along with his 20 pts)

In the Feb. game in Cle, when Cavs received their 1st (and only real home loss of the season), Lakers 101-Cavs 91 (win by 10), and with Kobe having the flu and Lebron playing like crap, LO was the hero of that game, scoring inside and rebounding like he was prime Shaq (his best game of the 08-09 season including the playoffs).

It's just like last yr, it wasn't the fact that the celtics beat us 2-0 in the regular season, but the way they dominated.

1st game in November 07 in Boston, it was Bos 107-Lakers 94 (13 pt beating). 2nd game December 07 @ LAL (Boston 110-Lakers 91, a 19 pt beating in LA!)

RollinDeep
07-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't call a missed layup/blown non goal tending call and a couple of missed FT's leading to LA wins a Lakers romp.
LA deserved to win but this series was far closer than you're giving the Magic credit for.

In response to the layup call, there was a play earlier in the game where Dwight literally stuck his hand up and through the basket to block a shot. So really, it all evened out in the end.

True, it wasn't exactly a romp, but more like the Lakers managed to settle down in crunchtime, ala D-Fish.

plpfctn
07-18-2009, 02:36 PM
don't think so. in the regular season we lost both games to the magic and won both against cleveland. we match up very well with cleveland b/c they tiny guards and weak big men. stop lebron and you win, period. we always stop lebron. it aint that hard for the champs.

mrmike101
07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
im gonna have to disagree with you on that one..... zydrunas ilgaskas is SICK...he is not slow he just takes his time and thinks his way through each step he takes....mo williams is SICKER cuz he's an all star and because his guarentees always come true (guarentees with no exceptions)....Lebron is the SICKEST cuz hes god, better then kobe will ever be, actually better then jordan already and i dont wanna hear the talk that kobe has four titles and mj has 6, because players greatness is measured by the # of travelling calls you get everyone knows that....they definately deserve every single award in the league...im disgusted that LEbron wasnt the finals MVP, kobe sucks he doesnt deserve it

Holy ***** I think I am the only one that read this post of yours. I just wanted to say I think you are awsome and SICK!!!