PDA

View Full Version : 10 best teams in the American League

RaysFan
06-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Rank the 10 best teams right now in the American League.

1. Boston
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Tampa
5. Detroit
6. L.A. Angels
7. Toronto
8. Minnesota
9. Seattle
10. Chicago White Sox

koldjerky
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
It really takes too much effort to rank the whole 15?

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 09:13 AM
it really takes too much effort to rank the whole 15?

misterd
06-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not really seeing the advantage of ranking the top 71.4%. If I were to do a top 5 it would be:

1. Boston
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Tampa
5. Detroit

NY is dropping (they would have been #1 a week ago), and Tampa is rising. The potential loss of Halladay and the general trend for the last month knocked Toronto off the list.

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm not really seeing the advantage of ranking the top 71.4%. If I were to do a top 5 it would be:

1. Boston
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Tampa
5. Detroit

NY is dropping (they would have been #1 a week ago), and Tampa is rising. The potential loss of Halladay and the general trend for the last month knocked Toronto off the list.

that list looks dead on to me

Tragedy
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I love seeing people giving Texas some lovin'

Zep
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I love seeing people giving Texas some lovin'

Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. (http://www.freewebs.com/alexglennie/quagmire.png)

The Intimidator
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Rangers
4. Tigers
5. Rays

AIsixersFK
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
If Josh Hamilton comes back strong and regains his form in its entirety from last season the Rangers could be a major force in the post season.

Sockeye
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Here's my top 13......Aah never mind!

Young2Kinsler
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I love me some Ranger love, but if we don't get a healthy Harrison back this week, and some bullpen help, we are gonna be in trouble. It's hard for me to let myself get caught up in this season whole heartedly knowing our past, but slowly I'm trying. I digress, my top 5, 10, 14, w/e...

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Minnesota
4. New York
5. Texas
6. Toronto
7. Tampa Bay
8. Los Angeles
9. Seattle
10. Baltimore
11. KC
12. Chicago
13. Cleveland
14. Oakland

donnie23
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Boston
NY
TEX
DET

I can't see any other teams making the playoffs with the exception of TB.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Minnesota will make the playoffs quote it. Everyone counted them out last year and we should have made it but there was a coin flip. Fuccin' stupid. The Twins swept the Tigers last time we played by the way.

Young2Kinsler
06-15-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree, I'd bet a nice sum of money Minnesota makes the playoffs.

donnie23
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Minnesota will make the playoffs quote it. Everyone counted them out last year and we should have made it but there was a coin flip. Fuccin' stupid. The Twins swept the Tigers last time we played by the way.

I like Minnesotta but Detroit has the starting pitching this year. You can't compare having Verlander, Porcello and Jackson, to last year when Verlander was way off and they didn't have Porcello or Jackson.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 01:56 PM
I like Minnesotta but Detroit has the starting pitching this year. You can't compare having Verlander, Porcello and Jackson, to last year when Verlander was way off and they didn't have Porcello or Jackson. Verlander is having a bounce back year. I'm not worried about the other two they will fall off when more divisional play happens they will get exposed. If Mauer was with the team the first month they would easily be in first place.

weebs
06-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Edwin Jackson's success will not last.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM

I agree.

The Intimidator
06-15-2009, 02:13 PM

What do you base that on? The guy was a top prospect for years. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs to be successful. He could very well continue pitching like this.

koldjerky
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM

I don't know what I was thinking... but anyway same gist.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
What do you base that on? The guy was a top prospect for years. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a player needs to be successful. He could very well continue pitching like this.
He could but he won't. The Twins have 3 pitchers better than him.

The Intimidator
06-15-2009, 02:34 PM

So, because the Twins have a good pitching staff, it's impossible for a Tigers pitcher to pitch well? That makes no sense.

weebs
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM

A change of scenery doesn't improve you THAT much. He reminds me of Volquez last year. He'll level off. Adding that curve has definitely improved him, but he's just not this good.

misterd
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM

It won't surprise me if they do or don't. They only thing that would shock me is if they are out of contention for the Central.

If I were to expand my list, RIGHT NOW, I'd put them behind Toronto and Los Angeles, and Toronto is dropping fast.

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 02:36 PM

name 3 pitchers on the twins currently pitching better than jackson instead of just saying they have 3 better ones. Jackson has been pretty nasty this year.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 02:43 PM
So, because the Twins have a good pitching staff, it's impossible for a Tigers pitcher to pitch well? That makes no sense.Aside from Verlander I think they will level off also.

name 3 pitchers on the twins currently pitching better than jackson instead of just saying they have 3 better ones. Jackson has been pretty nasty this year.Kevin Slowey, Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn. Jackson had a great start but these guys will all have better stats by the end of the year. Do you want my name too?

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Aside from Verlander I think they will level off also.

Kevin Slowey, Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn. Jackson had a great start but these guys will all have better stats by the end of the year. Do you want my name too?

Edwin Jackson - 6-3, 2.24 ERA, 65/23 K/BB, 1.03 WHIP, .211 Ave. Against

Kevin Slowey - 9-2, 4.23 ERA, 61/10 K/BB, 1.39 WHIP, .307 Ave. Against

Scott Baker - 4-6, 5.30 ERA, 62/12 K/BB, 1.13 WHIP, .248 Ave. Against

Nick Blackburn - 5-2, 3.31 ERA, 37/24 K/BB, 1.30 WHIP, .264 Ave. Against

clearly all three of those pitchers are better than jackson......

Realisitcally since win-loses are more of a team product, jackson is only beat in the walk department. Jackson has been the better pitcher. But we can always use your crystal ball to say that those 3 pitchers are all better right.......

Greg_Sox_fan
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I love me some Ranger love, but if we don't get a healthy Harrison back this week, and some bullpen help, we are gonna be in trouble. It's hard for me to let myself get caught up in this season whole heartedly knowing our past, but slowly I'm trying. I digress, my top 5, 10, 14, w/e...

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Minnesota
4. New York
5. Texas
6. Toronto
7. Tampa Bay
8. Los Angeles
9. Seattle
10. Baltimore
11. KC
12. Chicago
13. Cleveland
14. Oakland

How is KC and Baltimore over the Chisox when they have a better record then the 2.
Detroit over Yanks when they just lost a series to the ****ing Pirates.
The twins are barely over 500 and u have them third.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Realisitcally since win-loses are more of a team product, jackson is only beat in the walk department. Jackson has been the better pitcher. But we can always use your crystal ball to say that those 3 pitchers are all better right....... I said he had a great a start but all these guys will have better stats by the end of the year not right now. It is not even the All Star break. If you think those numbers will last you are crazy.

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I said he had a great a start but all these guys will have better stats by the end of the year not right now. It is not even the All Star break. If you think those numbers will last you are crazy.

ok. got it. Using that logic, the yankees have 37 starters better than jackson. Its not the allstar break, so his numbers won't, and I'm basing that on absolutley nothing. See how stupid that looks.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
ok. got it. Using that logic, the yankees have 37 starters better than jackson. Its not the allstar break, so his numbers won't, and I'm basing that on absolutley nothing. See how stupid that looks.

I would bet you money but obviously that is not possible. What you said doesn't even make sense.

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Jackson has been doing good, that's for sure. A change of scenery is definately important for a player, new team, new pitching coach, new environment(field not turf) and he is not any more just converting from being a relief pitcher. Of course he might and probably won't last with a sub 3 ERA all year, if he does, great, if he doesn't, shouldn't shock anyone. Those 3 pitchers from Minnesota are not better than him, Slowey is the closest to being better, in fact I would say they are equivalent. The Tigers' top 3 pitchers blast Minnesotas away, Verlander, Jackson, Porcello vs. Slowey, Blackburn, and Baker? Come on, anyone who is sane would take the Tigers 3.

donnie23
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I said he had a great a start but all these guys will have better stats by the end of the year not right now. It is not even the All Star break. If you think those numbers will last you are crazy.

Do you know who will win the Indians Brewers game tonight? Since you can see the future I'd like to offer you 10% of my winnings if (nay when) you are right.

dumbbaseballfan
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
why not just rank the top 12 instead?

donnie23
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
why not just rank the top 12 instead?

Or the top 2...
Boston
NewYork

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 03:20 PM
1. Boston
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Detroit

Those 4 teams will probably make playoffs, which is what is important.

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
I would bet you money but obviously that is not possible. What you said doesn't even make sense.

thats was my point. You simply said that the 3 twin pitchers are better, using nothing to back it up. Jackson numbers are better, he has pitched better and there have been no signs that he won't be ahead of those 3 pitchers you named. SO basically you said, the 3 twins pitchers are better because you said so.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Do you know who will win the Indians Brewers game tonight? Since you can see the future I'd like to offer you 10% of my winnings if (nay when) you are right.
Indians 6-4

1. Boston
2. New York
3. Texas
4. Detroit

Those 4 teams will probably make playoffs, which is what is important.Do yo really think you are going to walk through the central we are right behind you and not going anywhere but up.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
thats was my point. You simply said that the 3 twin pitchers are better, using nothing to back it up. Jackson numbers are better, he has pitched better and there have been no signs that he won't be ahead of those 3 pitchers you named. SO basically you said, the 3 twins pitchers are better because you said so.
Read last years full year stats.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Your whole argument is based off your own speculation.

You think so and so will finish better while so and so will fade off. But the ones who will finish better just so happen to be on your team?

I think Jose Contreras will come back and go 14-0 the rest of the season, because I know so, so he is better than the whole Twins rotation.

And Mauer will drop off and finish the season batting .220, while Pierzynski will finish batting .375.

Again, like you, I have no proof of anything, I just like to speculate.

Please people, season still has 100 games left. Let it play out. A team that is 15 games in 1st right now could still finish 15 games in last. Happens to someone every year.

The Intimidator
06-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Read last years full year stats.

That's last year, not this year. You can't base this season on the past.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
One more thing,

Twins didn't miss the playoffs because of a coin flip. They missed because they couldn't score 1 freakin run in one of the easiest parks to score a run.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
One more thing,

Twins didn't miss the playoffs because of a coin flip. They missed because they couldn't score 1 freakin run in one of the easiest parks to score a run.
We had a 10-8 divisional record against you that should have won us the division thats why they changed the rule because it was so stupid. That last game should have been played here if was to be played at all.

Alright now this thread is getting movin'

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:34 PM
That's last year, not this year. You can't base this season on the past.

No you can't, but you can get an idea.

Pinstripe pride
06-15-2009, 03:35 PM
We had a 10-8 divisional record against you that should have won us the division thats why they changed the rule because it was so stupid. That last game should have been played here if was to be played at all.

thats not a coin flip still. Those are the rules. If they bothered the twins so much, they should have won 1 more game. Facts are, the twins were not a playoff team last year and they ddn't get screwed out of it. They had to win one game and they blew it.

Pierzynski4Prez

I understand you and do agree the Twins got hosed on that one. But you still have to move on and just play the game with the same intensity regardless of the ballpark.

And the game went on to be 1-0, more likely the score of a game played at the Dome instead of U.S. Cellular.

SnoopRock
Your whole argument is based off your own speculation.

You think so and so will finish better while so and so will fade off. But the ones who will finish better just so happen to be on your team?

I think Jose Contreras will come back and go 14-0 the rest of the season, because I know so, so he is better than the whole Twins rotation.

And Mauer will drop off and finish the season batting .220, while Pierzynski will finish batting .375.

Again, like you, I have no proof of anything, I just like to speculate.

Please people, season still has 100 games left. Let it play out. A team that is 15 games in 1st right now could still finish 15 games in last. Happens to someone every year.My speculation is not outrageous like yours.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
My speculation is not outrageous like yours.

Those weren't my real opinion's, just making a point that anyone can speculate. I even take someone like peter gammons speculation as ****.

Only person i really think what they say will pan out is Steve Stone.

Cheezombie
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
lol might as well do the whole league, there's only 14 teams.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I understand you and do agree the Twins got hosed on that one. But you still have to move on and just play the game with the same intensity regardless of the ballpark.

And the game went on to be 1-0, more likely the score of a game played at the Dome instead of U.S. Cellular.
It just kind of sucked when we swept you guys late in the year to take the lead in the central and then it came to that I was pissed as I am sure you would have bee too.

The Twins are one of the best teams when they are playing in the big blue POS.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Those weren't my real opinion's, just making a point that anyone can speculate. I even take someone like peter gammons speculation as ****.

Only person i really think what they say will pan out is Steve Stone.

100 games to play we will see what happens.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
100 games to play we will see what happens.

Precisely. Neither of us are in 1st anyways. Long way to go.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Precisely. Neither of us are in 1st anyways. Long way to go.
It should be one of us 3. Since I can see the future I see you guys finishing ahead of Detroit.

Zmaster52
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM
1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Yankees
4. Angels
5. Tampa
6. Texas
7. Toronto
8. Minnesota
9.KC
10. Seattle

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Yankees
4. Angels
5. Tampa
6. Texas
7. Toronto
8. Minnesota
9.KC
10. Seattle

Really?????

Storm4
06-15-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't see how anyone can really argue against Boston and New York being the top two.

Red Sox
Yankees
Tigers
Rangers
Rays

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't see how anyone can really argue against Boston and New York being the top two.

Red Sox
Yankees
Tigers
Rangers
Rays

Tigers are not a top 5.

mark1125
06-15-2009, 06:05 PM

You will never win an argument with a homer.

Storm4
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Tigers are not a top 5.

I would say that having the 4th best record in the AL (34-29) and sitting on top of their division by 3 games qualifies them as a top 5 team in the AL right now.

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Tigers are not a top 5.

I believe they are, name a better team as of now other than Boston, New York, Texas, and MAYBE Tampa

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Indians 6-4
Do yo really think you are going to walk through the central we are right behind you and not going anywhere but up.

Lol, you don't realize that when your team goes over .500, they go right back down. They haven't gone up anything lateley, they are a .500 team this whole damn season.

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 07:29 PM
They way New York has played since the end of April, they might qualify for the best AL team as of now, but everytime they play Boston I hate to say it because Boston dominates them, both teams are very elite, and it will take a playoff series to determine who is better. The ChiSox are basically a rebuilding team this season, last time the Tigers played them it was a 5 game set in Chi, and we took 3 out of 5, which we struggle too much there.

Epic89
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Tigers are not a top 5.

Did a Tigers fan beat you up when you were a kid or something? I mean, would it kill you to give them some credit?

Any way,

1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Tigers
4. Rangers
5. Rays
6. Angels
7. Twins
8. Blue Jays
9. Mariners
10. White Sox
11. Royals
12. Indians
13. A's
14. Orioles

Storm4
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I believe they are, name a better team as of now other than Boston, New York, Texas, and MAYBE Tampa

Obviously the sub .500 Twins

:laugh2:

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Obviously the sub .500 Twins

:laugh2:

haha:clap:

Epic89
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Realisitcally since win-loses are more of a team product, jackson is only beat in the walk department. Jackson has been the better pitcher. But we can always use your crystal ball to say that those 3 pitchers are all better right.......

:clap::clap::clap:

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
another thing is, Minni has only gained ground on Detroit because the Tigers have been on a bit of a slump lately and can't seem to hit the ball

bosox3431
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

No but we can make a sig bet. Im willing to bet against all three of the pitchers you listed, Slowey, Baker, and Blackburn will not have a better year then Jackson. For you to win all three have to be better then Jackson, not just one or two, all three. Since you see so damn confident that you are right it should be no problem.

If you win ill wear whatever sig or anything you want in my sig for a month. If you win Ill do the same

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 10:39 PM
No but we can make a sig bet. Im willing to bet against all three of the pitchers you listed, Slowey, Baker, and Blackburn will not have a better year then Jackson. For you to win all three have to be better then Jackson, not just one or two, all three. Since you see so damn confident that you are right it should be no problem.

If you win ill wear whatever sig or anything you want in my sig for a month. If you win Ill do the same
I'll do it. Just talk to me in about 2 weeks and see who is in first place.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Did a Tigers fan beat you up when you were a kid or something? I mean, would it kill you to give them some credit?

Any way,

1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Tigers
4. Rangers
5. Rays
6. Angels
7. Twins
8. Blue Jays
9. Mariners
10. White Sox
11. Royals
12. Indians
13. A's
14. OriolesThey are alright, Mags has gone south a little bit but prepare for battle with us. Remember we didn't have a guy named Joe Mauer for a month. Didn't we just sweep you last time we played you. Oh yes we did.

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 10:50 PM
They are alright, Mags has gone south a little bit but prepare for battle with us. Remember we didn't have a guy named Joe Mauer for a month. Didn't we just sweep you last time we played you. Oh yes we did.

you are in such denial that we all get a laugh out of it.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 11:35 PM
you are in such denial that we all get a laugh out of it.
That is what I'm thinking about you. I am not saying the Twins are in the top 5 either so take that into account. But they are better than you.

detroitsports22
06-15-2009, 11:41 PM
That is what I'm thinking about you. I am not saying the Twins are in the top 5 either so take that into account. But they are better than you.

The Twins are having a bad season, and no one in the Central is having a great season. The Tigers just happen to be the only team over .500 in the division, because of our starting pitching. You seem to be very confident in the fact that the Twins will previal, time will tell.

SnoopRock
06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
The Twins are having a bad season, and no one in the Central is having a great season. The Tigers just happen to be the only team over .500 in the division, because of our starting pitching. You seem to be very confident in the fact that the Twins will previal, time will tell.
Bad start w/o Joe Mauer but we did just sweep the Brewers and almost swept the Cubs in Wrigley. We are playing good ball right now and you know we are a second half team. There are 100 games to play and we are only 3 behind you so don't get comfortable.

detroitsports22
06-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Bad start w/o Joe Mauer but we did just sweep the Brewers and almost swept the Cubs in Wrigley. We are playing good ball right now and you know we are a second half team. There are 100 games to play and we are only 3 behind you so don't get comfortable.

Like I said before, their last 10 games they are 5-5, and they are under .500 by 1 game. The only reason they are 3 games out of first is because the Tigers have lost quite a bit lately, it's not because the Twins have won alot. They have been floating around .500 all season, even with Joe Mauer, when they got him back they were only like 4 under .500, and that was like 2 months ago.

Twitchy
06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
TB (67)
Boston (55)
Yanks (36)
Jays (27)
Detroit (26)
Texas (18)
Twins (15)

Beyond that it's not worth my time. Run differential is in ().

Les Cowboys
06-16-2009, 12:08 AM
No but we can make a sig bet....

I'll take you up on that! Either way I get to pick your new sig.

SnoopRock
06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Like I said before, their last 10 games they are 5-5, and they are under .500 by 1 game. The only reason they are 3 games out of first is because the Tigers have lost quite a bit lately, it's not because the Twins have won alot. They have been floating around .500 all season, even with Joe Mauer, when they got him back they were only like 4 under .500, and that was like 2 months ago.

That is why I said there is 100 games left. We play you 15 more times so we will see how that goes. We have been streaky but that should come to an end after these stupid injuries. May the best team win.

bosox3431
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I'll do it. Just talk to me in about 2 weeks and see who is in first place.

What does them being in first place have anything to do with it. The only thing it concerns is the 4 pitchers. Your three, Slowey, Blackburn and Baker all have to be better then Jackson by years end. It dont matter if the Twins finish first and Tigers last, if Jackson id better then any three of them you lose.

SnoopRock
06-16-2009, 02:26 PM
What does them being in first place have anything to do with it. The only thing it concerns is the 4 pitchers. Your three, Slowey, Blackburn and Baker all have to be better then Jackson by years end. It dont matter if the Twins finish first and Tigers last, if Jackson id better then any three of them you lose.
Thats fine I don't really care about a sig bet this is the internet big deal. I am confident enough in them. What stats are we going by anyways?

detroitsports22
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Thats fine I don't really care about a sig bet this is the internet big deal. I am confident enough in them. What stats are we going by anyways?

I would imagine ERA, SO/BB ratio.

SnoopRock
06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I would imagine ERA, SO/BB ratio.

I figured ERA, but you never know with some people.

ATL2010
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
1.Red Sox
2.Rays
3.Rangers
4.Yankees
5.Detroit
6.L.A. Angels
7.Toronto
8.Minnesota
9.Chicago
10.Baltimore