PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Role Players: Past or Present that were key contributors to a title?

Lakersfan2483
06-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Question for PSD basketball fans: Who are your favorite role players from the past and present? (During title runs)

Examples:

95 Houston Rockets- Robert Horry, Sam Cassell (role player back then), Mario Ellie

JordansBulls
06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Rick Fox, Derek Fisher on the Lakers

Grant, BJ Armstrong, Kukoc on the Bulls

Cooper and Rambis on the 80's Lakers

Ainge on the Celtics

Toney on the Sixers

To name a few

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 06:11 PM
00s, Horry, Fisher and Ariza ( i hope)

90s, Kerr, Horry, Carl Herrera

80s, Cooper, Vinnie Johnson, Lambieer, Walton ( celtics worn out walton)

Bubba313
06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
john starks even tho he didnt win a title

ko8e24
06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
john starks even tho he didnt win a title

wtf? can't read the title of the thread I see.

abe_froman
06-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Rick Fox, Derek Fisher on the Lakers

Grant, BJ Armstrong, Kukoc on the Bulls

Cooper and Rambis on the 80's Lakers

Ainge on the Celtics

Toney on the Sixers

To name a few

i'd include kerr or paxon,who came up at critical times during the finals

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
starks was NOT a role player.

no one being a top 3 scoring option in a team should be eligible for this thread

ko8e24
06-14-2009, 06:30 PM
This is easy question to answer.

Will Perdue (Bulls and Spurs), Bill Wennington (Bulls), Scott Burrell (Bulls), Mark Madsen (Lakers), Stanislav Medvedenko (Lakers), Brian Scalabrine (Celtics), Randy Brown (Bulls), Travis Knight (Lakers), Melvin Ely (Spurs), Darko Milicic (Pistons), Mike Penberthy (Lakers), Samaki Walker (Lakers), Gabe Pruitt (Celtics), Greg Foster (Lakers)

Lakersfan2483
06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
80's Lakers- B. Scott, M. Cooper

90's Bulls- Kukoc, R. Harper, Rodman, J. Paxson, H. Grant

90's Rockets- Robert Horry, Cassell, O. Thorpe, M. Ellie

00's Lakers- D. Fisher, Robert Horry, T. Ariza, R. Fox

mikantsass
06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Hands down Robert Horry! He was a key role player on MULTIPLE teams

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 06:52 PM
thorpe was by no means a rle player.

Man talk about underated...

JordansBulls
06-14-2009, 06:56 PM
thorpe was by no means a rle player.

Man talk about underated...

Yeah he was an allstar with Hakeem one year.

Lakerfan8032
06-14-2009, 06:59 PM
00s, Horry, Fisher and Ariza ( i hope)

90s, Kerr, Horry, Carl Herrera

80s, Cooper, Vinnie Johnson, Lambieer, Walton ( celtics worn out walton)

The Microwave, damn I hated to see him come off the bench. Damn good role player for those Pistons teams. Robert Horry for me is the ultimate role player. Huge shots for three different franchises and collecting seven rings for his troubles. He has been on a contender every year he was in the league almost. The only blip on Horry's resume was his brief stint with Phoenix and throwing a towel in Ainge's face (though I'm sure Danny deserved it:D).

I remember someone bringing up a thread after Derek Fisher hit those threes to seal game four and stating that he was one of the best clutch shooters ever, which I'm in complete agreement with. Someone had a reply that was basically saying that the only reason Fisher ever had any of those chances to attempt those shots were because he was riding the coattails of great players so he wasn't really that clutch. To me, that person doesn't truly understand basketball or for that matter team sports in general. Sure, great players are needed to propel teams to championship status but if the role players aren't worth a damn then the team will always fall short. Jordan's Bulls I think are the best examples of this. Outside of Pippen and to a lesser extent Rodman those Bulls teams didn't have the most overall talent. Horace Grant and Toni Kukoc were nice players but not much else. All those players new and accepted their roles and delivered when it mattered most. We all remember Paxson and Kerr hitting several big shots but most forget all those centers whose roles were small but important nevertheless. Wennington, Cartwright, Perdue and Longley weren't that good (Cartwright being the best of the bunch in my opinion) but all provided solid defense and pretty much just played off of what Jordan was doing. Good role players just need to accept their roles, no matter how small, and deliver when called upon.

Basically if your role players aren't worth a damn, then you're not going to win ****. That's why it took Jordan seven years to finally win.

dwadefan03
06-14-2009, 07:00 PM
james posey miami heat 06

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Nba should do more for new generation to know about other decades players and not go into oblivion.

I mean, if i go and make a thread saying Derek Harper > than Devin Harris i would have a lot of young fans calling me a lot of awufull things.

JordansBulls
06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Nba should do more for new generation to know about other decades players and not go into oblivion.

I mean, if i go and make a thread saying Derek Harper > than Devin Harris i would have a lot of young fans calling me a lot of awufull things.

Derek Harper went to Illinois so I know about him well. He was a stud in Dallas and in New York. A top defender as well.

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
^yeah but you have some nice age too.

But tell it to some youngsters who only know about Kobe or Lebron.

also to the guy talking about Jordan taking 7 years.

You ahve to credit phil for making him understand that second options are there to help and not to shadow him and that is not a good idea to destroy mentally your role players specially your reserve to allow you to rest.

If nto for Phil its a real posibility Jordan would have gone ringless.

He could have won earlier if he didnt sistematically try to kill the second best plyaer on his team and had h not ran out of chicago orlando woolridge.

Pauleboman
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
80s Craig Hodges,The microwave Vinnie

90sPaxson,Kerr,Kukoc,Kenny Smith

00s Robert Horry,Ben Gordon

kblo247
80's Lakers- B. Scott, M. Cooper, A. Green, K. Rambis

90's Bulls- Kukoc, R. Harper, Rodman, J. Paxson, H. Grant, S. Kerr, Longley

90's Rockets- K. Smith, Cassell, M. Ellie

00's Lakers- D. Fisher, Robert Horry, T. Ariza, R. Fox, B. Shaw, L. Odom,

MrBloop
wtf? can't read the title of the thread I see.

Take it easy...Starks is a god in NY, which makes him a god in you're city as well;)

ManRam
06-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Kobe Bryant: 08-09 Lakers

JK. Breath Laker fans....

Steve Kerr/Luc Longly with the mid/late 90s Bulls
Kenny Smith 93-95 Rockets
Steve Smith with the Spurs in 03 (not much of a factor, but I loved him)
BJ Armstrong w/ the early 90s bulls

Lakerfan8032
06-14-2009, 07:14 PM

It's unfortunate that as time goes that alot of great role players will be generally forgotten but that is part of being a role player. They may not be faces of franchises but fans from that era and teammates will always remember what they truly meant to that teams success. How many great role players from the NBA's early years have been forgotten by almost everyone? Many. Only the big stars transcend the generations to be remembered.

I'm pretty sure Derek Harper never won a title but when he was with Dallas in his prime he was certainly not a role player. Later with the Knicks and the Lakers he turned into a good role player, though.

MrBloop
06-14-2009, 07:19 PM
80's- M. Cooper, D. Johnson, V. Johnson, B. Scott, J. Wilkes, and The Transformers

90's- S. Kerr, R. Harper, T. Kukoc, K. Smith, M. Elie, A. Johnson, and The Ninja Turtles

00's- B. Bowen, D. Fisher, R. Rondo, GP (cuz GP's my dog), S. Jackson (clutch), and Butters

Hellcrooner
06-14-2009, 07:20 PM
mmm i dont recall Dereck harper in purple....i recall RON harper tough.

Sme forgotten StARS i used to like

Fat Lever, Kiki Vandeweghe, Bernard King, World B Free, Rickey pierce, Tom Chambers, Adrian Dantley, Rolando Blackman, Orlando Woolridge,Jammall Wilkes, Deletf Schrempf, Rik Smits, KevinJohnson,Cedric Mxwell, Darrel griffith , Artis gilmore, Armon Gilliams, Kelly tripucka....... and so on.

AllTheWay
06-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Gilmore !!! ^^

D-Fish has always been my favorite player period. Or at least since 2001.

MrBloop
06-14-2009, 08:10 PM

Fat Lever, Kiki Vandeweghe, Bernard King, World B Free, Rickey pierce, Tom Chambers, Adrian Dantley, Rolando Blackman, Orlando Woolridge,Jammall Wilkes, Deletf Schrempf, Rik Smits, KevinJohnson,Cedric Mxwell, Darrel griffith , Artis gilmore, Armon Gilliams, Kelly tripucka....... and so on.

Pretty sure he was on LA in 98'

He's one of my all time favorite players period. I wore #11 in after him in HS and summer leagues whenever I played.

And its the "Hammer" Armen Gilliam*

Pran Raznor
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harpede01.html

DerekRE_3
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Ron Harper (Bulls), Leon Powe (Celtics), James Posey (Celtics and Heat)

ChitownbullsBG7
06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
My top 3 role players that i actually like are Horry, Fisher, and (hate to admit it) Posey.

Raoul Duke
06-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Darko Milicic (Pistons)

Blasphemy.

Vinnie Johnson, Detroit Pistons '89 and '90.

Chronz
06-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Youd have some old fans calling you names too, Derek Harper?