PDA

View Full Version : Here is a list of title teams to Win without HCA Conference/NBA Finals

JordansBulls
06-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Here is a list of title teams to Win without HCA:

06 Heat*
04 Pistons*
98 Bulls
95 Rockets*
93 Bulls*
85 Lakers
82 Lakers
79 Sonics
78 Bullets* (won in game 7)
77 Trailblazers*
75 Warriors*
74 Celtics (won in game 7)
73 Knicks*(won ECF in game 7)
69 Celtics* (game 7)
58 Hawks

* Won their conference without HCA

So 15 teams out of last 50 years.

2006 - Heat over Mavericks
2004 - Pistons over Lakers
1998 - Bulls over Jazz
1995 - Rockets over Magic
1993 - Bulls over Suns
1985 - Lakers over Celtics
1979 - Sonics over Bullets
1978 - Bullets over Sonics
1977 - Blazers over Sixers
1975 - Warriors over Bullets
1974 - Celtics over Bucks
1973 - Knicks over Lakers
1969 - Celtics over Lakers
1958 - Hawks over Celtics

Now if you had to rank them in greatest upset to least greatest how would the list look?

Chronz
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Not all of them were upsets, the better teams just didnt have HCA or were suffering a key injury.

JordansBulls
06-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Not all of them were upsets, the better teams just didnt have HCA or were suffering a key injury.

:confused:

What do you mean the better teams didn't have HCA?

Chronz
06-15-2009, 02:35 AM
The teams that were superior didnt have the chance to get more W's in the regular season for whatever team you were talking about there is a legit reason. For example the 2004 Pistons were quite possibly the greatest defensive team of all time, only you wouldnt know it from their regular season records because they traded for Rasheed Wallace midseason. If you took their midseason stats its more telling but even then not fully revealing.

Something you would know if you werent so obsessed with these things.

JordansBulls
06-15-2009, 08:31 AM
The teams that were superior didnt have the chance to get more W's in the regular season for whatever team you were talking about there is a legit reason. For example the 2004 Pistons were quite possibly the greatest defensive team of all time, only you wouldnt know it from their regular season records because they traded for Rasheed Wallace midseason. If you took their midseason stats its more telling but even then not fully revealing.

Something you would know if you werent so obsessed with these things.

That Pistons team had no superstar and were down 3-2 to the Nets that year and the Nets weren't even that good.

CowboysKB24
06-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Here is a list of title teams to Win without HCA:

So 15 teams out of last 50 years.

2006 - Heat over Mavericks
2004 - Pistons over Lakers
1998 - Bulls over Jazz
1995 - Rockets over Magic
1993 - Bulls over Suns
1985 - Lakers over Celtics
1979 - Sonics over Bullets
1978 - Bullets over Sonics
1977 - Blazers over Sixers
1975 - Warriors over Bullets
1974 - Celtics over Bucks
1973 - Knicks over Lakers
1969 - Celtics over Lakers
1958 - Hawks over Celtics

Now if you had to rank them in greatest upset to least greatest how would the list look?

I don't think HCA means much in the playoffs. If your team is better than the other team they will win. The better team wins, I don't think it matters where they play in the playoffs if your team is better and experienced.

S-Dot
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
98 Bulls!!!! Greatest shot in NBA History!!! Sorry, I just miss MJ

JordansBulls
06-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't think HCA means much in the playoffs. If your team is better than the other team they will win. The better team wins, I don't think it matters where they play in the playoffs if your team is better and experienced.

Of course teams will win series without HCA, but when that happens it is called an upset.

Tom81
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
bulls 93' they won 2 first game on the road ..than lose 2 of 3 games at home and still win a title.They win 3 games on the road.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
That Pistons team had no superstar and were down 3-2 to the Nets that year and the Nets weren't even that good.
Does that change anything I said? Nope, greatest defensive team of all-time

Thats very silly logic, the Celtics were the best team last year the Lakers were this year, BOTH teams took longer against less imposing teams than they did against their finals counterparts. There are reasons for this, stop looking at blind #'s and actually analyze those #'s.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Of course teams will win series without HCA, but when that happens it is called an upset.

Nope, not always

azkarraga
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
98 Bulls!!!! Greatest shot in NBA History!!! Sorry, I just miss MJ

me too

JordansBulls
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Does that change anything I said? Nope, greatest defensive team of all-time

Thats very silly logic, the Celtics were the best team last year the Lakers were this year, BOTH teams took longer against less imposing teams than they did against their finals counterparts. There are reasons for this, stop looking at blind #'s and actually analyze those #'s.

There defensive rate is lower because teams shoot worse from the field nowadays. So of course defensive rating will be considered lower nowadays.

Kakaroach
06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
There defensive rate is lower because teams shoot worse from the field nowadays. So of course defensive rating will be considered lower nowadays. Yeah, it has become a perimeter-oriented league. Just look at the Magic.

clehmun
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
if they were in the same conference, then yes, it would be called an upset. but since the finals features two teams from different conferences, you can't look at the better record for the better team.

the last 5-10 years have been dominanted by western conference teams (spurs, kings, mavs, suns, lakers, etc) during the regular season. it was much harder to get a good record in the western conference.

it wasn't until the last 2-3 years that the two conferences closes their gap with duncan getting older, and james in cavs, KG in boston, etc.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 12:44 PM
There defensive rate is lower because teams shoot worse from the field nowadays. So of course defensive rating will be considered lower nowadays.
I have no idea what your talking about.

Chronz
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, it has become a perimeter-oriented league. Just look at the Magic.
Could you explain what MJB was trying to tell me from my post? Or are you just cosigning something else because your post made no sense to me either. What about the Orlando Magic? They were one of the best defensive teams in the league this year. And theyre like the best shooting team in the league, so exactly what side of the court are you singling out?

Jahari Kavi
06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
'95 Rockets had no homecourt in any of their rounds, they beat 2 or 3 60 win teams and a 50 win team.....beat the likes of Malone, Stockton, Barkley, KJ, Robinson, Rodman, Shaq, and Penny with no homecourt advantage in ONE playoff run...........is anybody topping that?????

Chronz
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
'95 Rockets had no homecourt in any of their rounds, they beat 2 or 3 60 win teams and a 50 win team.....beat the likes of Malone, Stockton, Barkley, KJ, Robinson, Rodman, Shaq, and Penny with no homecourt advantage in ONE playoff run...........is anybody topping that?????

Yea thats one that at the time people were thinking of them as underdogs, much like Russel's last run at a title people were discounting the previous champs based upon the fact that their record was less than impressive. Probably where the whole you cant count out the champ until theyre out thing started. But really now, that team was better than the 47 wins that it posted. By the time Drexler got up to speed with the team and everyone got healthier you could see that they were much better than your average #6 seed, but like those Celtics it really was only a 1 time thing with both Dream and Clyde fading into their mid 30's.

Whats ironic is that theyre biggest challenge came in the first round. Atleast in terms of competition, they had no business winning that series vs the Jazz, I doubt it played a part but needing only 3 wins helped that team.

The Suns seemed like a good even matchup, the Suns are a team that both wouldve won more had Chuck been there all season, yet also overachieved without him, the dynamic duos for each team are all-nba caliber, but still in Houstons favor and with a better supporting cast.

The Spurs however shouldve never been considered favorites, its hard to argue with 62 wins, except that David Robinson was in a similar situation that Bron was in this year, that team only excelled to that degree because its star player is playing at an absurdly high level, and because his teammates didnt suck. Mo Williams was at best a fringe All-Star, so was Sean Elliot. Outside of them 2 and Avery Johnson the Spurs didnt really have much to compete with, I wouldve said Rodman but his whole stay in San Antonio was a fiasco. Shame really, had he been mentally involved that team couldve really used his services.

As for the Magic well, Shaq and Penny were newbs yet they showed the most poise, Nick Anderson will never live that down.

Jahari Kavi
06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd probably say the suns were our toughest matchup for the simple fact they had us down 3-1....Jazz would be a close 2nd, but we went in on their home floor to close them out.......

JordansBulls
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Could you explain what MJB was trying to tell me from my post? Or are you just cosigning something else because your post made no sense to me either. What about the Orlando Magic? They were one of the best defensive teams in the league this year. And theyre like the best shooting team in the league, so exactly what side of the court are you singling out?

Were the Magic a good defensive team? They were good because of Dwight that is the reason their defensive rating was good. However the other guys weren't really good defenders by any means.