PDA

View Full Version : Who had the best draft

papipapsmanny
06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
opinions......

dodgersuck
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
i loved what the Padres did in the first two rounds with Tate and Everett Williams. Also like the Rangers getting Purke and Scheppers. Colorado getting Matzek, Brothers, and Wheeler were great picks

long ball
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
This bar downtown has about 20 different draughts. My favorite is definitely Smithwicks followed by Shock Top.

feeltheheatrays
06-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Depends on what teams sign what picks....if colorado can sign their top picks and texas can...then those two are the definite winners to me

Jilly Bohnson
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Depends on what teams sign what picks....if colorado can sign their top picks and texas can...then those two are the definite winners to me

Yeah, at least early on Colorado and Texas are the two that stand out.

jetsfan89
06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Texas is big time winners IMO. Scheppers and Purke in the first round automatically made it very good.

vladdy#27
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I think the Angels had one of the best drafts signed 11 of the first 12 picks (3rd rounder didnt sign). And we had 5 picks before the 2nd round

Jack of Blades
08-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Texas is big time winners IMO. Scheppers and Purke in the first round automatically made it very good.

That ****** Purke didn't sign :facepalm:

At least we should sign Scheppers.

FriarFanatic
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
This is bias of course, but I really liked what my Padres did. Plus they signed all of them something that only happened because Jeff Moorad is here now. If we still had Moores running this team there is no way that we woulda signed Tate or Williams probly

CB30
08-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Its the Rockies

MooseWithFleas
08-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I think it's hard to declare the best draft at this juncture, but I'll give my take on some winners and losers.

Winners

- Colorado Rockies: Tyler Matzek had signability issues, but the Rocks committed to drafting him at 11. He ended up signing on the day of the deadline, way over slot, but it shows commitment by management to spend money and improve through the draft. Matzek was ranked by many as the third best overall talent in the draft, so they must be declared a winner. They also signed all their picks in the first 28 rounds.

- Nats: Signing Strasburg was absolutely necessary for the Nats. With that being said, they manged not to get completely raped by Boras. Sure it was the highest bonus in draft history, but Strasburg got nowhere near the 50 mil that Boras originally stated. Rizzo did a good job signing this years draftees and it is well deserved that he is now the permanent GM.

- Diamondbacks: Tough to not be a winner when you have 9 picks in the first 2 rounds... They got a good mix of talent and went with all very signable players. Safe bet, but a good haul of quantity and quality here will be sure to develop a couple major leaguers in the future.

Losers

Blue Jays: Failed to sign 3 of their top 4 picks... good job JP! You must have some deal with the devil, because it is a MIRACLE that you have a job.

Rangers: Failed to sign 3 of their picks in the first 10 rounds, including first rounder Matt Purke. Purke's demands were pretty high (No surprise with a Scott Boras client here) but it still hurts to not sign the guy.

Mets: Failed to sign 5th and 6th rounders, while spending the least amount of money on the draft. Not good for a big market team.

NYY NYJ NYK
08-27-2009, 07:29 AM
The Red Sox also had a pretty impressive draft haul.