PDA

View Full Version : Braves sign John Halama

rtgthree
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM
From Our Sports Central:

Southern Maryland Blue Crabs manager Butch Hobson has announced that the contract of left-handed starting pitcher John Halama has been purchased by the Atlanta Braves. Halama, who was signed by the Cleveland Indians in 2008 after making eight starts for Southern Maryland, made nine starts for the Blue Crabs this season and posted an 8-1 record as the most dominant starter in the Atlantic League. Halama already has Major League experience in nine seasons from 1998 through 2006.

Halama leaves the Blue Crabs for a second time after being named the Atlantic League's Pitcher of the Month for games played in April and May. His eight wins currently lead the league, as do his 66.0 innings pitched. On the '09 campaign Halama has thrown four complete games total; three of the seven inning variety in doubleheaders, and one nine-inning complete game May 28 at Long Island, where he allowed just seven hits and a run. The lefty earned a winning decision in his first seven starts of year, and has struck out 37 on the season while walking just 13.

Halama's earned run average of 2.05 places him second in the Atlantic League at the time of his departure

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3841314

Seems as though Gwinnett's rotation is going to be chock full of the formerly famous after losing Charlie Morton, Kris Medlen and Tommy Hanson, as Halama joins Tony Armas and Jon Huber. Halama last pitched in the bigs in 2006, and was last really effective in 2002 (though he had some tough luck in 2005; he was better than his 5.68 ERA would have you believe). It will be interesting to see if any of these guys ever see Turner Field.

Jon93405
06-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Cheap fillers, why not. Better than pulling up an Osuna, Diamond, Coefield, Heath, Reynoso or Venters prematurely.... even though I would like to see what Venters can do in AAA to see if he's the real deal or just a fluke so far.

Jon93405
06-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Whoops! Just as I finish that post I see Venters started tonight in Gwinnett and got rocked... hopefully he turns it around.

NBA_Starter
06-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Is Redman still in our minor league system?

rtgthree
06-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Is Redman still in our minor league system?

No, thank God. He pitched some for Colorado last year, but I never read anything about him resurfacing elsewhere. He's probably playing indy ball somewhere.

brandonwarne52
06-14-2009, 12:35 AM
John Halama!?! WOW.

A_Brave_Pack
06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Man, Halama the Llama.
Good stuff.