PDA

View Full Version : Mucho Gracias when you win.....but we can't afford your parade because we are broke!!

fairandbalanced
06-13-2009, 08:07 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers need only one more win to capture a 15th National Basketball Association Championship, but some city officials are already saying they can't afford to throw the team a victory party.

The Lakers have taken a 3-1 lead in their best-of-seven series against the Orlando Magic and will clinch the championship if they win again on Sunday night, setting the stage for a triumphal parade through downtown Los Angeles as early as Tuesday.

But such a celebration could cost the city $1 million or more at a time when city leaders, faced with a deep budget deficit, were contemplating worker layoffs and cuts in services.

"We can't afford to cover the costs," City Councilwoman Jan Perry told the Los Angeles Times. "How could we make a decision about people's jobs and then sponsor the parade?"

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE55C24E20090613?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

LOL, it is just so funny. This will atleast give the magic fans something to laugh at when..........I meant, If the Lakers win.

albertc86
06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE55C24E20090613?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

LOL, it is just so funny. This will atleast give the magic fans something to laugh at when..........I meant, If the Lakers win.

Yeah, I'm sure Orlando will get some consolation out of that. Wait, no they won't.

fairandbalanced
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I think the Lakers players should put the money together........for the sake of their fans.

kblo247
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I think the Lakers players should put the money together........for the sake of their fans.

they are putting the wins together.

What they should do is just hold an event in Staples to save cash

ARMIN12NBA
06-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm sure Dr. Buss will put the money together if L.A. can't.

lakersrock
06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
There is no reason Buss, Kobe, Phil, Odom and Gasol couldn't split the tab. 200K to each of them is a drop in the bucket.

TheShock45
06-13-2009, 08:59 PM
isnt sad that if the lakers were smart they could just donate money for a parade, and then write it off one there taxes sooo basically everyone is happy

like whats a million to kobe , nothing soo if everyone gets together kobe throws up 100K and people like sasha and jordon farmar throw up like 25k its nothing to them and its just a good showing to the city

Trouble87
06-13-2009, 09:29 PM
they'll get a parade even if the city doesn't cough up the cash

bringinwood
06-13-2009, 09:36 PM
There is no reason Buss, Kobe, Phil, Odom and Gasol couldn't split the tab. 200K to each of them is a drop in the bucket.

If i'm Kobe, Phil, or any member of the organization, I don't put one dime up to fit the bill...

That's insane... The city of LA is broke and can't host a parade for a team that generates tens of millions of dollars a year for the city of LA...

Fund raising events are cool, but in regards to the organization paying for the entire parade, that's just not cool... They deserve something for the dedication towards the city of LA...

( im a Sixers fan and I know this )...

dee279
06-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Los Angelos doesnt have the money? What? wow that news but there will be a parade.

RapOZo
06-13-2009, 09:53 PM

they can make some type of fundraiser car wash and/or sell fresh baked cookies, i'd buy some from farmar, he seen is a nice guy, even though his ears are weird, but his tattoo dedicated to his little sister is kind of nice, but anyways, it really sucks not having money for championship parade, this recession is ********

fast_break
06-13-2009, 09:59 PM
the rioters will make their own parade

ink
06-13-2009, 10:14 PM

:shrug: Not funny at all really.

ink
06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm sure Dr. Buss will put the money together if L.A. can't.

:clap:

If they win SOMEBODY has to make a parade happen. It's going to be big and the city should celebrate.

lakers4sho
06-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Dr. Buss will take care of it, I'm pretty sure.

lakersrock
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
We could also have the celeb "diehard" fans pay for it. Jack and Garcia are true fans. For some reason, the others seem to go to be seen. Anyways, they CLEARLY could pool enough money for one.

KobeIs
06-13-2009, 10:49 PM
No worries. We are definitely having a parade.

I think it will be bigger than the parades that we had back in the early 2000's

downsos
06-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Someone should get a bake sale going or a lemonade stand.

ink
06-13-2009, 11:01 PM
No worries. We are definitely having a parade.

I think it will be bigger than the parades that we had back in the early 2000's

I hope this thread is going up on the Magic's dressing room bulletin board. :smoking: