PDA

View Full Version : The Most Exciting Player (When He Was Young)

ko8e24
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Many players like D-Wade, Lebron, CP3 and Howard are what you would call the most exciting players today. The thing is, they are all still young, so as the years take a toll, they will lose that "flashiness in their game".

My question is, how do these guys measure up (in terms of excitement and flashiness) to a young Kobe Bryant, Iverson, T-MAC, and Carter of the late 90's and early 2000s?

And of course, which of these 8 players had/has the most flashiness and excitment in their game when they were/are young?

Last question, do you guys feel guys like Kobe/T-MAC/Carter/AI paved the way for what Lebron/D-Wade/CP3/Dwight are now?

Chronz
06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Good thread, Id have to agree (actually not sure where you stand) but I think those guys most definitely paved the way for these younger players in some way shape or form. I know several prospects to have said they patterned their games after Tmac, Steve Francis. In a way its a bad thing because so many players fail to meet those expectations and end up spending their entire lives trying to perfect a skill when they shouldve stuck to the fundamentals or patterning their game after someone else.

Personally to measure up who was the most exciting, all you have to do is look at Vince's ROY campaign that alone would fill up entire careers worth of highlight reals for some players. I really hope Vince gets one last decent run at a title before his days are done, hes been too memorable of a player to have this bad of a legacy.

Mane
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I really miss watching the young exciting AI play...

heyman321
06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I miss watching Carter in his Raptor's prime, he was insane.

JustBlaze31
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
When he was young, AI played with so much swag and he had that killa crossover too lol

kblo247
06-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I loved to watch Penny when he was younger before his knee surgery.

Kobe, T-mac, AI, and VC win by a landslide over Lebron, Wade, D12, STAT, and Melo to me

nipo10847
06-12-2009, 10:31 PM
AI and Vince both were spectacular to watch....i love them both....bt AI is one of my all tym favs.....i feel sad to see his game now....

SeoulBeatz
06-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Iverson. PERIOD.

just watch this whole vid... because I feel like some cats on this site are too young to have witnessed just how good this little guy was, and how much heart he put into the game.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4569385/12234685

damnit so many good memories. i used to love when he would just dunk on people. cant do it anymore obviously. and man his ballhandling skills were out of this world, check the part where he dribbles the ball between the defenders legs on the fast break.

its easy to kick a man when he's down but Iverson used to be a great player, it's just a shame he gets shat on so much on this site. i will forever respect what he did for the city of Philly, only Philly fans will understand just how great he was. He gave 110% every game, not practice, but during the games, he played harder than anyone ive ever seen, and that's fine by me.

Evolution=FACT
06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
ai was great.

SA5195
06-12-2009, 10:44 PM
damn i miss the young vince carter, especially when he played at my hometown..

lexworld2009
06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
yo I'll say this much young AI was a killer and his play has hurt him now , but he was still a killer his speed was so unmatched that it set him apart , him & Kobe def were the best from those days, they both had the great mid range game....

lexworld2009
06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
yeah they paved the way just think of it wade is the new taller version of AI, Bron is the muscular version of TMac without the J, dwight is the center version of vince jus dunks , cp3 is a different player he nash with that nasty d, and I think the Kobe role now is played by Dwill, the midrange j, and the dagger 3 and the good on the ball d.....

droalex
06-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Damn that AI video was awesome.

Trouble87
06-12-2009, 11:04 PM
1- young AI cant be compared to none of the current young guys

2- AI and Vince gave me some wtf moments ... they are a tie for the all time flashiest out of that select 8

3- I don't think Kobe/T-MAC/Carter/AI paved the way for Lebron/D-Wade/CP3/Dwight .... Kobe/T-MAC/Carter/AI wernt the true orginators of anything they did. You would have to go back to Dr. J, Pistol Pete, Connie Hawkins, and Gus Johnson to see who really paved the way for the young guys to shine

SeoulBeatz
06-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Damn that AI video was awesome.

ha im glad u liked it man, tell ur friends ha

SeoulBeatz
06-12-2009, 11:08 PM

2- AI and Vince gave me some wtf moments ... they are a tie for the all time flashiest out of that select 8

3- I don't think Kobe/T-MAC/Carter/AI paved the way for Lebron/D-Wade/CP3/Dwight .... Kobe/T-MAC/Carter/AI wernt the true orginators of anything they did. You would have to go back to Dr. J, Pistol Pete, Connie Hawkins, and Gus Johnson to see who really paved the way for the young guys to shine

very true my friend, very true.

sadly, i was born in 89 so i cant touch Dr. J or Pistol Pete, hell even Magic or Bird. I wish I could see those guys in their prime.
i choose not to act like i saw em play because I didnt, highlight reels cant do justice to great players like that. tis a shame.

but im glad i got to see A.I, Vince, Kobe, T-Mac, Jason Kidd, **** Chris Webber was dope too.

Trouble87
06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
very true my friend, very true.

sadly, i was born in 89 so i cant touch Dr. J or Pistol Pete, hell even Magic or Bird. I wish I could see those guys in their prime.
i choose not to act like i saw em play because I didnt, highlight reels cant do justice to great players like that. tis a shame.

but im glad i got to see A.I, Vince, Kobe, T-Mac, Jason Kidd, **** Chris Webber was dope too.

I was born in 87 but I love watching old school games and aba highlights... know my bball history

Chris Webber was dope but what about a young Shawn Kemp.... Reign Man was the ****

TopsyTurvy
06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I enjoy the flair of a young superstar, but I think I enjoy watching such players mature into all-time players even more. As a player ages they will lose pieces of their athleticism, some more than others, but they regain an edge from experience - player tendencies, team tendencies, etc. - and can usually maintain a certain plateau of greatness. While the early years provide some excitement, it is the latter years that I find the most interesting.

Watching stars like Tim Duncan, AI, VC, Shaq and to a lesser degree MJ (I'm not THAT old) mature and become more dominant over time will be just as fascinating as watching what players like Howard, DRose, and Beas may be able to do.

SeoulBeatz
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I was born in 87 but I love watching old school games and aba highlights... know my bball history

Chris Webber was dope but what about a young Shawn Kemp.... Reign Man was the *******

haha dude i forget about kemp. he was ****in sick. reminded a lot of barkley but with better hops. possibly one of the top 5 dunkers in NBA history, him and gp were a great duo.

FOBolous
06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I loved to watch Penny when he was younger before his knee surgery.

Kobe, T-mac, AI, and VC win by a landslide over Lebron, Wade, D12, STAT, and Melo to me

Kobe, Tmac, AI, and VC were amazing scoerers. They all made shots that wasn't possible to make. They make you go like "wtf...they did NOT just made that shot." in my opinion...Wade, Lebron, D12, Paul, and D12 are not the scorers Kobe, Tmac, AI, and VC were when they were in their prime.

dee279
06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
What about the Young KG?

Trouble87
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM
haha dude i forget about kemp. he was ****in sick. reminded a lot of barkley but with better hops. possibly one of the top 5 dunkers in NBA history, him and gp were a great duo.

loved that Sonics team

old school NBA is the best... great topic ko8e24

dee279
06-12-2009, 11:21 PM
But yeah a Young AI, VC, and T Mac were all amazing though. Flashy was not even the name for AI though. . Anybody who defended AI was just thinking please dont shake me but thats the way it turned out. AI was at the hoop while his defender was checking to see if his socks and shoes was still on his feet. ANd Kobe when he was young, he was a beast but he still going hard so its wuteva. Age has not effected him much yet.

carter15
06-12-2009, 11:55 PM
as good as iverson was there is no way he was more exciting then VC...Vince was the greatest dunker of all time...how cud someone be more exciting then that...i no i no VC is in my name...but its pretty much common knowledge hes the greatest dunker of all time.

NYtilIdie
06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
You couldn't touch A.I. thats when he was "The Anwser". T-Mac was CRAZY! he was my favorite player during that time thats when he was ruthless when driving to the lane like when he dunked on Shawn Bradley I nearly lost it. Somebody has a quote that sums up VC "Vince Carter in Toronto was dunks, the Vince Carter in New Jersey is layups" when Vince had his hops he was crazy when he dunked over the Center in the olympics I fell out my seat.

Ahhh great time in basketball

cmellofan15
06-13-2009, 01:22 AM

I can't completely agree with number three because the guys named had a direct impact on the new young Superstars, and the guys like Dr.J and Pistol Pete never played with the likes of AI, Vince etc. They most likely watched footage of these players but I think guys like Michael Jordan, Dikembe Mutumbo, Hakeem Olajuwon, Grant Hill, Penny, Charles Barkley etc. really impacted them because they were in the league either right before them or in the league with them.

IversonIsKrazy
06-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Iverson was w/o a doubt the most young & exciting player, simple.

qwestion13
06-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Allen Iverson is my favorite basketball player of all time. I had to do a commemorative speech for my public speaking class during the spring, and everyone was commemorating dead relatives, friends, etc. I go up there and do a 10 minute speech about AI, and I was choking up at the end of it.

He will always be my favorite player, the excitement and emotion he brought to each and every game can never be replicated IMO.

ko8e24
06-13-2009, 02:04 AM
AI and Kobe for me no doubt. I would also say Starbury's young days with the t'wolves and nets.

Some quick underrated flashy guard in my opinion were also Rod Strickland (his Wizard days) and Damon Stoudamire (Raptors days)

curtie74
06-13-2009, 02:07 AM
It waz kinda fun seeing q rich and d miles on da clippers shooting all da shots

azkarraga
06-13-2009, 02:45 AM
one question. somebody did mention here people like bird, dr j, magic or drexler... but different from one each other as they are, they all had one thing in common: their bball IQ was extraordinaire. more than anything about their skillsets i'd underline their intelligence. but then came MJ. who, besides his IQ, was a huge scorer. And since them, we've got the scorers (and AI belongs with the greatests) but somehow we lack some intelligence (yes, this is a generalization, but it for the point's sake)?

is that something you agree with or is just, that im getting old (born in 65) and have a crush of nostalgia?

djeller1139
06-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Iverson

MrBloop
06-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Barkley, LJ, Allan Houston, Latrell Sprewell, Magic Johnson, MJ, Shaq, Penny, Grant Hill, C Webb, GP, Shawn Kemp, come to mind.

_KB24_
06-13-2009, 04:09 AM
DEFINIETLEY TMAC, KOBE, IVERSON, AND CARTER over Lebron, Wade, Melo, CP3. Kobe TMac and Carter were all virtually the same (high flyers, perimeter, defense) and Iverson may have even been a notch ahead.,

sp1derm00
06-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Back in the day when the Lakers were in their Dynasty mode, I loved watching them play AI and the Sixers... it was extremely fun watching AI and Kobe at the same time.

Tmac was also incredible at that age... and I think stars then were a lot flashier than they are now. Tmac had some absolutely INCREDIBLE games.

I miss those days and had more fun watching those games than the whistle-fest that's on TV now. Lebron and Wade seem to benefit and rely on the whistle a lot more than AI, Tmac, and Kobe did back then, might just be my perception.

pete_one
06-13-2009, 06:38 AM
The jyd jerome williams

dee279
06-13-2009, 07:09 AM
as good as iverson was there is no way he was more exciting then VC...Vince was the greatest dunker of all time...how cud someone be more exciting then that...i no i no VC is in my name...but its pretty much common knowledge hes the greatest dunker of all time.

I agree with that only in saying VC was the best dunker. AI was more exciting though. AI is one of the Greatest scores of all time. VInce is one of the Greatest dunkers of all time. AI had one of the best crossovers and put many people on they back because of his dribbling skills. VC well is one of the Greatest dunkers of all time. They both made very acrobatical shots. VC dunked not on but over a 7'2 tall *** doode. THats excitement. So they both had their popcorn moments, but AI was a player who is only 6 foot and played like he was 10.

Mc Uncle Cola
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
def Vince Carter... and he still has those moments every so often

{}
06-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Amare. Dude once had something like 19 dunks in one game.

mfb_lt1birdman
06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Lebron was just pretty raw and working with his freak of nature body and athletic ability.

Young guys I can think of with some mad skillz early on were Penny, AI, VC was amazing with his dunks, Grant Hill was good right off the bat as well. I'm too young to remember early Magic but the old film I have watched of him is pretty darn amazing too.

pd7631
06-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Iverson. PERIOD.

just watch this whole vid... because I feel like some cats on this site are too young to have witnessed just how good this little guy was, and how much heart he put into the game.

damnit so many good memories. i used to love when he would just dunk on people. cant do it anymore obviously. and man his ballhandling skills were out of this world, check the part where he dribbles the ball between the defenders legs on the fast break.

its easy to kick a man when he's down but Iverson used to be a great player, it's just a shame he gets shat on so much on this site. i will forever respect what he did for the city of Philly, only Philly fans will understand just how great he was. He gave 110% every game, not practice, but during the games, he played harder than anyone ive ever seen, and that's fine by me.

my feelings exactly.

as usual Seoulbeatz you hit the nail on the head....hopefully AI can come back stronger than ever next year and make the haters eat their words....it'd be even better if he came back to Philly and put us back among the elite teams.

Raoul Duke
06-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Iverson was sooooooo much fun to watch.

Although the NBA as a whole is much better now, and I think the newer crop of "it" guys have better all-around games, AI and VC were absolute freaks.

Thinking about young T-Mac just makes me sad. If his body had held up he could have been one of the all-time greats.

tland22
06-13-2009, 01:09 PM
WOW! great topic. YEA i agree, thinking of TMAC now does make me sad....i can remember like it was yesterday when TMAC was just a SAVAGE on the basketball court. It is crazy how when he was so young playing with VINCE on the raptors that he was known as their DEFENSIVE STOPPER on the team....and then he turns out to be such a great scorer lol.
I wish TMAC and VINCE could have stayed on the same team!

JDizzle
06-13-2009, 04:07 PM
t-mac on the magic was always fun dropping 40-50 pts it seemed ever game shame no one could help the guy there

DrDEADalready
06-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Vince carter for the win. He was freaking sick when he was young.

TYoung21
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Iverson...not biased at all

mrblisterdundee
06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Ranking of Young Flashiness of Older Players (RYFOP):

1. Shaquille O'Neal
2. Allen Iverson
3. Vince Carter
4. Tracy McGrady
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Tim Duncan (consistently flashy)
7. Ray Allen
8. Kevin Garnett
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Jason Kidd

LakersOrNothing
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
AI was the man back in the days.. his crossovers were sickkkk!

effen5
06-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Grant Hill and Penny preinjury....

Grant Hill was SCARY good, hes still incredible now.

J-Relo
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
i miss watching carter in his raptor's prime, he was insane.

vinsanity!

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2009, 04:43 PM
T-Mac was pretty insane in his early years. he was def as good as Kobe if not arguably better at the time.

and look at him now, Kobe is getting his shine on and T-Mac is getting hated on more than ever, id kinda feel for the guy, if he didnt make 20 mill a year.

KB24PG16
06-13-2009, 04:48 PM
iverson and vc amazing

mrblisterdundee
06-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Why does nobody except me mention Shaquille O'Neal. He ripped a ****ing backboard down when he was young. Is destruction and total dominance not exciting? Let's see Vince Carter rip a backboard down at any age.

dibacco59
06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
^^because AI was still in high school when shaq was drafted . . . shaq was in his prime/ early veteran years when kobe, AI, Tmac and carter were in their early 20's

Kakaroach
06-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I really miss watching the young exciting AI play... x2 Young Iverson was the slickest and sickest player in the league. I think that is why he has managed to keep his fan base even now in his thirties, cuz he was so cool when he was young.

abe_froman
06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
ai probably

faze38
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Iverson. PERIOD.

Man your talking about the greatest little man to play the game. I mean i don't care what anybody says AI was the flashiest and best player during that time. Vince had the best dunks, T-mac had the best move by allying it to himself but nobody could do it like AI. I have to say that video was the bomb. Even though that was a great era i still couldn't say that there better then the current one i think there equally exciting. And you are right man i think he and KG were the hardest playing dudes to ever touch a court.

I have to agree with that third comment u said but if u have ever seen some old Dr. J games he's just as flashy as Vince and A.I. I mean the man really looked like he could fly. I wish i could find some old ABA games when he was younger cause he must have been amazing. Also i think wade is right up there with those guys he gives me a lot WTF moments too cause he does some crazy crap.

i.got.the.nutz
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Vince Carter was absolutely nuts when he was with Toronto.

Mallpha
06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Antonio McDyess pre injury, Sprewell loved his energy.

BenFrank
06-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm with the A.I. Crew... I couldn't wait to watch his game's, and the crossover on Jordan is one of the greatest moments of all time

Omar Little
06-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Iverson. PERIOD.

I just wanna thank you for posting that video. That brought back so many good memories. Im not even a 76ers fan, but I always loved AI, and still do.

Thanks again.

Tom81
06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Air canada

ko8e24
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Tim Hardaway and his killer crossover in his time with the Warriors, and most notably with the Miami Heat.

Hustla23
06-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't know what was more valuable than a ticket to go watch Vince Carter play at the Air Canada Center back in the day.....

barbjake
06-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Iverson. PERIOD.

I'll be the 50th person to say this video is amazing... I had almost forgotten how much I loved watching Iverson play. Can't wait to see him in the hall of fame. (Or play some more, whatever his plans are. :)

barbjake
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I think every player that has been mentioned had the way paved for them by Jordan. Flat out.

ko8e24
06-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I think every player that has been mentioned had the way paved for them by Jordan. Flat out.

No, Dr. J paved the way for guys like Jordan, Dominique and Isiah (who I think really paved the way for AI), and guys like Elgin Baylor, Connie Hawkins and Pistol Pete paved the way for Dr. J. It's called the EVOLUTION OF THE GAME!

kobe24>lebron23
06-14-2009, 03:50 PM
it's kobe to me

these videos are some of the sickest you'll ever see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37sMTCDirQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhL01gIVgEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEk0n9C-bGY

these are short clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92pAVblBui0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTopUDXLjKU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBofxJw-LU8&feature=related

this video is sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-NJYexhzw&feature=fvw

EX-TREME
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM
iverson was sick back in the days

ko8e24
06-14-2009, 05:31 PM
it's kobe to me

these videos are some of the sickest you'll ever see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A37sMTCDirQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhL01gIVgEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEk0n9C-bGY

these are short clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92pAVblBui0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTopUDXLjKU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBofxJw-LU8&feature=related

this video is sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4-NJYexhzw&feature=fvw

:rock: RIGHT ON!

GiantMetKnick
06-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I was actually just thinking about VC when he was young the other day. He was INSANE... or should I say, Vincanity. He absolutely carried the Raptors, and even though they were never a great team, he managed to do a lot with a little. He really was huge back then.

As for paving the way for the younger guys, I don't know if I really agree with that. I don't think they "paved the way" anymore than any other generation paved the way for their up-and-comers.

AIsixersFK
06-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Iverson hands down greatest and most exciting player back in the day. T-mac as well. i also miss when Grant Hill was on Detroit. them were the days

Tmac,lt,berkman
06-14-2009, 07:54 PM
i used to love kobe and t-mac go at it but i gotta give a.i. kg and Vc their props to............SIMPLY AMAZIN

Trouble87
06-14-2009, 08:08 PM
when I was young I loved Larry Johnson/GrandmaMa

In his Hornets days he was the man... he didn't do amazing dunks but he did everything with such power and enthusiasm it was fun to watch

Nadhi1
06-14-2009, 08:27 PM
steve francis and his mad handles it was like watching an all star game.

mikantsass
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
For all you youngsters in this forum.... check out a man they call Shawn Kemp. BEST GAME DUNKER OF ALL TIME!!!!

LanceUpperCut
06-14-2009, 08:45 PM
A.I. was flat out crazy but to me Vince made so many people in Canada love basketball I mean the slam dunk comp. was freaking crazy,I was in a room with about 10 people, me being the only basketball fan and made them all watch it.Till this day pretty much all the guys who hated basketball before instintly fell in love.Even the girls were amazed.

Trouble87
06-14-2009, 10:21 PM
steve francis and his mad handles it was like watching an all star game.

streetball moves in the NBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_PCtGn6bk

late 90's and early 00's he was always fun to watch

-----------------------------------------

speaking of handles... old school Jason Williams = sick

sciferguy
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Shawn Kemp was the most exciting young player to watch

and of course

PISTOL PETE