PDA

View Full Version : Is the Bobcats franchise going broke?

DenButsu
06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Scary news if you're a Bobcats fan. The team might not even be able to afford a summer league team this year (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/775946.html), which kind of strikes me as odd.

I know the economy isn't at its best, I know the Bobcats have a payroll that probably goes beyond the realm of the fiscally sound (http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/bobcats.jsp), and I understand that the team isn't exactly raking in the profits from attendance or local TV/radio, and I understand that summer league runs cost quite a bit of money, often for a payoff that isn't so profound.

But I can't help but wonder, given owner Robert Johnson's NBA na´vetÚ heading into his venture as owner of this pathetic team, if this is more of a choice than an end-result. And wonder if there haven't been teams in tougher financial straights that still managed to make a summer league turn happen. That's just me, though.Ball Don't Lie (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Off-day-notes-Bobcats-broke-Zo-and-Whitlock-g?urn=nba,169929)

dtmagnet
06-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow sell the team if its that bad, didn't MJ say he wanted to buy it?

DenButsu
06-12-2009, 07:19 PM
btw, sorry Bobcats fans - the "pathetic team" remark is the blogger's, not mine, and I included it just because it's contained in his main question about the financial viability of the franchise, not because I'm trying to piss off Bobcats fans.

This is a story that actually worries me, and it should concern fans of other teams as well imho.

Kakaroach
06-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah that is scary. I knew he was trying to sell the Bobcats, but this is serious. The Jazz canceled the Rocky Mtn. Review. :speechless: Should I be worrying?

DenButsu
06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah that is scary. I knew he was trying to sell the Bobcats, but this is serious. The Jazz canceled the Rocky Mtn. Review. :speechless: Should I be worrying?

I don't know, but with them I'd kind of doubt it. As the only major sports franchise in SLC, I'd imagine that if the team got into serious financial straights the city would find a way to bail them out and keep them afloat until they recovered. I don't see the SLC community letting go of that team.

Trouble87
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Maybe Bobcats management and owners see the summer league as a unnecessary expense.

Hopefully whoever ends up buying this team will know what their doing and dig the Bobcats out of this financial hole

dee279
06-12-2009, 08:23 PM
MJ would mos def be able to dig them out the financial whole, but not so sure on how good is GM mind really is. I can see the Bobcats picking up Hansbrough. THey gonna pick somebody from NC, i can already see it.

t-mac1nukka
06-13-2009, 03:05 AM
all owners cry loss of money...gives them stronger pull in negotiations. i dont buy it for a second.

dos132
06-13-2009, 03:35 AM
maybe they can sell some stock, to continue the franchise... like what happen to Cleveland the minority owner of their franchise were Chinese...:ohno:

but in the second thought i will not buy it, you will gamble lot's of money to a team that have a very little potential, to a playoffs contender... :horse:

or they can sell it... to other city... like sonics to OKC thunders...:surrender:

Hellcrooner
06-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Its well deserrved

What did league expect?

People in Charlotte was very proud of the hornets, they had an stablished market and had been one of the most succesfull last 80s expansion team.

Then they go and rob then the team that was a winning team then give it to No and they inmediately get a sucker expansion franchise????
WTF!!!!

They shodul have just let the hornets where they belonged and give the expansion crap to NO:

anyway in this day and age of crisis i could easily see some teams dissapearing because of lack of money and not being able to sell them

i woudl be deadly worried if i was Memphis or Okc fan.

And if i was in Ohio i would be scared to death about 2010 because Lebron Walking could possibly mean Cavs collapsing too

Wilson
06-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Damn, that sucks. The Bobcats have a good chance at the play-offs next season though. Hopefully they make it, and that helps to bring more attention and revenue to the team.

Kakaroach
06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
I don't know, but with them I'd kind of doubt it. As the only major sports franchise in SLC, I'd imagine that if the team got into serious financial straights the city would find a way to bail them out and keep them afloat until they recovered. I don't see the SLC community letting go of that team. Yeah, your right. It is indeed the only major team here in Utah, so hopefully the Jazz don't leave us. But I would be worried if I were a Bobcats fan or a Grizz fan. Looks like the economy is killing even the rich.

JDizzle
06-13-2009, 04:05 PM
got to start winning. winning answers all the problems

mrblisterdundee
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Teams in the southeastern United States (outside of Florida and Antlanta) always seem to have trouble. It's just the poorest region in the country next to the midwest (outside of Texas).
I think the best option for the Bobcats is for Michael Jordan to be the cheerleader, and try to get some other NBA hall of fame players to invest in the Bobcats.

IversonIsKrazy
06-13-2009, 05:33 PM
i highly doubt their going to Vancouver. Man, i dont blame their fans, there the most boring team to watch in the NBA.

homestarunner93
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Its well deserrved

What did league expect?

People in Charlotte was very proud of the hornets, they had an stablished market and had been one of the most succesfull last 80s expansion team.

Then they go and rob then the team that was a winning team then give it to No and they inmediately get a sucker expansion franchise????
WTF!!!!

They shodul have just let the hornets where they belonged and give the expansion crap to NO:

anyway in this day and age of crisis i could easily see some teams dissapearing because of lack of money and not being able to sell them

i woudl be deadly worried if i was Memphis or Okc fan.

And if i was in Ohio i would be scared to death about 2010 because Lebron Walking could possibly mean Cavs collapsing too

Hellcrooner, you shouldn't speak if you don't know what you're talking about. Charlotte ran New Orleans out of town because of their idiot owner George Shinn. He kept demanding more and more money and wanted a new arena. The taxpayers were tired of him, and kicked him out.

Also, I'm not going to put much stock into an article where the guy calls the Bobcats a 'pathetic' organization. He obviously doesn't know much about basketball, because the Bobcats would've made the playoffs last year had they had the same roster at the beginning of the year that they had at the end.

29$JerZ
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I like the Bobcats, mainly because Felton/D.J/G-Force/Emeka/Diop are on the team.
Its going to be rough but I don't see them being moved. Seattle would likely get the first expansion team back since they held the rights to the Sonic name but sending Charlotte their makes little sense since its a Western team. You would then have to add another team to the East making it a 31 team league which is still no good.

Kakaroach
06-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I like the Bobcats, mainly because Felton/D.J/G-Force/Emeka/Diop are on the team.
Its going to be rough but I don't see them being moved. Seattle would likely get the first expansion team back since they held the rights to the Sonic name but sending Charlotte their makes little sense since its a Western team. You would then have to add another team to the East making it a 31 team league which is still no good. Maybe they could move Memphis or Minnesota to the East? Assuming the Bobcats move of course.

Lakerfrk
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Bring a team back to San Diego!!!!

Kakaroach
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Bring a team back to San Diego!!!! Yes, why not another California team. I believe that would make it 5.....

richardle9
06-13-2009, 06:34 PM
maybe if jordan came back to play they would make more money, im playin

Lakerfrk
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes, why not another California team. I believe that would make it 5.....

Yeah yeah.. I know we don't need another team... how about moving the Clippers down to SD.. that way, we still have 4...

NYtilIdie
06-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Damn how can you honestly be surprised? We all should have known they weren't going to last if Baron Davis couldn't draw in that town what makes you think Gerald Wallace can? Charlotte isn't a basketball town they made that clear the first time. Unless Jordan suits up they probably won't ever sale out.

Things will only get worse:cry:

NYtilIdie
06-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Bring them to Kansas City we'll dump that ********y AFL team for the Bobcats

NBA_Starter
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM
If we are able to sign Iverson he will draw!

homestarunner93
06-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Damn how can you honestly be surprised? We all should have known they weren't going to last if Baron Davis couldn't draw in that town what makes you think Gerald Wallace can? Charlotte isn't a basketball town they made that clear the first time. Unless Jordan suits up they probably won't ever sale out.

Baron Davis did draw crowds...you have no idea what you're talking about. Gerald Wallace is already better than Baron anyway, and a more explosive player at that. Besides, like NBA Starter said, if we can sign AI we will definetly sell more. The Bobcats are fine, all this talk about them moving is ridiculous. Bob Johnson isn't going to sell them to someone who will move them, he's from South Carolina and cares about having a sports franchise around here, even if he's a horrible owner. I'm going to be brutally honest here: they only chose him to get another minority owner in the league. Larry Bird's investment team should've won in the first place.

GreatMustachio1
06-14-2009, 01:40 AM

woowwwww, i love someone who speaks without knowing facts.
The Charlotte Hornets and the highest attendence in the league for about about what was it, like 12 years running. They would still have the highest attendence here, if they had stayed. We just got screwed out of our team because of our crappy owner. BTW, did anyone else know that George Shinn attended AL Brown high school in kannapolis, NC and graduated very last in his class. Tells you how brilliant he is.
Anyways, please take a trip to Charlotte, take a walk around, see all the sites, then please get back to me on if charlotte is a basketball "town" or not.
your opinion may change.
We just feel screwed and felt like we got the bobcats out of charity.

GreatMustachio1
06-14-2009, 01:43 AM
oh and when the bobcats built time warner cable arena, part of the deal was that they remained in charlotte through like 2012. So they have to stay legally.
And by 2012, i feel the front office will be much better and the product on the floor will be much better. sooo yeah just thought id share that.