PDA

View Full Version : Should Chauncey still go by "Big Shot"

Chronz
06-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Despite what barrelfact said about him getting that name for hitting a big shot, the truth is Billups earned the reputation from dominating and raising his game for entire playoff games. It all started when he had that 40PT explosion vs Tmac, in fact there wasnt a single big shot to be made considering how the Pistons were winning. Flash forward a year later and Billups is serving up an old washed up Gary Payton and winning himself Finals MVP. Thus the legend was born.

Since then however, hes gone 3-8 vs the Spurs in the last game of the Finals, 3-14 for 9PTS in the deciding game vs the Heat (Loss) after going 3-12 the night before, 3-7 in the deciding game vs the Cavs, and 2-7 against the Lakers in their deciding game this year.

So do you still consider Billups to be worthy of his moniker, do you find him to be clutch, why or why not?

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 03:22 PM
every shot is a Big Shot when it comes to Chauncey...one of the best nicknames in the game

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Should be Derek Fishers name. He's a 2009 playoff loser, wait till the offseason to bring him up in a thread. Didn't we hear enough about him and the nuggets this season and post?

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
hold on now yesterday derek fisher's name wouldnt have been brought up, lets not downgrade Chauncey Billups here...he is Mr. Big Shot, especially for what he did to Derek Fisher and the Glove back in 2004

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh my bad, he shitted on Derek Fisher, and an old *** glove. Coming out of the East at its sorriest state. My point is Derek Fisher has hit more big shots in the playoffs (finals esp) than Chauncy, and thats a fact.

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
but he cant take the name from him...and Indiana had the best record in the league that year, New Jersey was pretty good that year too.

azkarraga
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
no matter how many "big shots" fisher does on his career, Mr Big Shot will always be Billups. how he dominated, how he got his team to win a championship, that's why he's called that moniker, not because he hits some or other three once in a while... fisher is a clutch player, but not mr big shot

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Who cares about the stupid nickname?, I watched Fisher bail LA out on so many occasions during all their runs to the finals and championships victories. Fisher has hit so many clutch baskets, but Chauncey got his nickname (well deserved) after finally living up to his lottery pick status with the pistons improbable win over LA.

I get it how the nickname thing works, but you could make the argument, Fish deserves a name like that as well.

And please don't talk about Indiana/New Jersey...Those were the teams I was referring to when I talked about how sorry the east was then. You proved my point. The East was regarded as really weak b/c of those teams being the class of the conference.

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
no matter how many "big shots" fisher does on his career, Mr Big Shot will always be Billups. how he dominated, how he got his team to win a championship, that's why he's called that moniker, not because some or other three once in a while...

0.4 on the clock against the spurs, last nite, and countless CLUTCH three's during the lakers championship runs...selling his "Big Shot" M.O. as a guy who's hit "some three's once in a while" is pretty lame.

You def haven't watched the Lakers enough to correctly assess Fishers big shot resume.

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Derek Fisher's Nickname: Derek "And Just When You Thought You Won" Fisher

azkarraga
06-12-2009, 04:27 PM

yeah, that's more about it.

and i do like fisher. but he's not mr big shot.

bbcmillionaire
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
wow lakers fans, lol. yeah fisher is clutch sometimes, but you cant take chauncey's nickname away and give it to derek fisher. Fisher is a product of teams expecting kobe,odom, and now ariza to take the 3. while chauncey is a primary threat. Fisher is a very good pg, but not enough to take big shot billups name. p.s. shout out to robert horry, who is a top 5 clutch player himself lol

Lakermania33
06-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I may be mistaken but if memory serves me correct I thought he got that nickname after the Pistons series with the Nets in their championship run. He had a huge night 40 + points and a shot from half court to take it to OT. The next game the announcers said the team had joked with him naming him Mr Big shot in practice. Once again I may be mistaken but that was a one game nickname that stuck for years.

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM

that was wack.

"Derek-ly in your eye for three" Fisher

Still bad, but better than yours ;)

MrBloop
06-12-2009, 05:02 PM
wow lakers fans, lol. yeah fisher is clutch sometimes, but you cant take chauncey's nickname away and give it to derek fisher. Fisher is a product of teams expecting kobe,odom, and now ariza to take the 3. while chauncey is a primary threat. Fisher is a very good pg, but not enough to take big shot billups name. p.s. shout out to robert horry, who is a top 5 clutch player himself lol

Lets not turn this into the "fisher trying to steal chauncey's name" thread. I wasn't being that serious about it really.

My point was he's hit more BIG shots in the post season than Chauncey Billups. I stand by that.

The nick name is billups, relax people.

Chronz
06-12-2009, 05:19 PM
lol at the direction this thread has taken, mods should add a poll

thephoenixson28
06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Isn't there like 5 people with the same name. I know they used to call robert horry that

TheHoopsProphet
06-12-2009, 06:16 PM
that was wack.

"Derek-ly in your eye for three" Fisher

Still bad, but better than yours ;)

leave him alone, hes either 12 or mentally challenged.

And Chronz, you answered your own question with the stats you provided.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
the only big shot i knwo is big shot rob

S-Dot
06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
leave him alone, hes either 12 or mentally challenged.

Thats taking it a little too far man; I cant have one of my favorite movies as my picture, watch what you say...keep the nonsense out of here

KB24PG16
06-13-2009, 04:49 PM
horry- mr big shot