PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty?

knoxinator 3021
06-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Phil Jackson took the reigns of the Chicago Bulls in 1989. He has taken off two years in the last 20. In the 18 seasons that he was at the helm of an NBA franchise he as won 9 titles and appeared in 12 finals series. Now on the verge of a record setting 10th NBA title, is Phil Jackson and his staff the greatest dynasty in pro sports history?

Duncan = Donkey
06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
no.

Big Zo
06-12-2009, 02:06 AM
Nope. He inherited MJ/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe so he's been pretty much set up for success.

knoxinator 3021
06-12-2009, 02:09 AM
both teams he "inherited" didn't win any titles without Phil as the head coach. Does the fact that the teams he coached had great players mean anyone could have won all those titles, even though they didn't? All championship teams have great players, seems pretty hollow...

Duncan = Donkey
06-12-2009, 02:10 AM
there have been better dynasty's.

Real Madrid's football team in the 60's, won 8 la liga's in 9 years.

And Man United with SAF, 11 PL titles, 2 CL and 5 FA Cups.

Both are better. im sure there are others as well

Big Zo
06-12-2009, 02:22 AM
both teams he "inherited" didn't win any titles without Phil as the head coach. Does the fact that the teams he coached had great players mean anyone could have won all those titles, even though they didn't? All championship teams have great players, seems pretty hollow...

I'm not saying Phil isn't a good coach, but would he have led say the '04 Pistons to a title?

sp1derm00
06-12-2009, 02:29 AM
I honestly think that Phil's laid back coaching style makes the players better over time rather than immediately... and in the long run, it produces clutch plays and decisions.

His in-game coaching might be sub-par... but you can't deny his overall effectiveness.

Compared to say, Popovich whom I believe you could insert into a team and they would immediately start winning because of his on court decisions and plays he calls, Phil needs time for his teams to buy into his philosophy.

Think about it... the man has won rings with two completely different teams. Sure he had the best talent on those teams, but so did Red... except Red did it with ONE team with a lot of the same pieces.

Phil took the Bulls to win 3, took the Bulls WITHOUT MJ to the ECF, and then took the Bulls again to win another 3 in a row.

Then, completely different team... 3 peat again.

Now? Verge of a championship with yet another team that is drastically different than his last championship team. He has two of the same pieces, and the talent is sooo different.

It's not just by chance, he's still arguably the greatest coach in NBA history. If he wins his 10th, I think he'll solidify himself as the greatest.

abe_froman
06-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Phil Jackson took the reigns of the Chicago Bulls in 1989. He has taken off two years in the last 20. In the 18 seasons that he was at the helm of an NBA franchise he as won 9 titles and appeared in 12 finals series. Now on the verge of a record setting 10th NBA title, is Phil Jackson and his staff the greatest dynasty in pro sports history?

no.

without many of his disciples going on to other hc gigs his coaching tree isnt as big as say pop's(for nba),which is a coaching dynasty

GspLAL
06-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Nope. He inherited MJ/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe so he's been pretty much set up for success.

Dumbest argument ever, who wins with "nobodies", you can use that argument for just about any coach in history. Were Jordan and Kobe winning any championships before Phil? Hell no, and Phil Jackson has always done a great job forming a solid bench, which you need to become champions.

knoxinator 3021
06-12-2009, 03:04 AM
no.

without many of his disciples going on to other hc gigs his coaching tree isnt as big as say pop's(for nba),which is a coaching dynasty

i would say Pop has a coaching tree...

it is because PJ's assistants stay with him that I refer to them as a dynasty

JordansBulls
06-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Phil came to the Bulls in 1990.

Hellcrooner
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
did someone really bring up Real Madrid????

is easy to win title after title when there is a Dictator in the country that folows your team and allows you to pay Officials, threaten oficials with dead penalty and bans other teams from signing certain players....

Odominator
06-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Why is this even an argument?

Phil has 9 Rings. Has the best playoff winning percentage and finals.
How many coaches other than Red has 9, and on the verge of getting his 10th?

You guys can say Phil is not legitimate all you want but in the end, he has 9 rings.

Just because he inherited Kobe/Shaq, Jordan/Pipp doesn't mean he got lucky. Pop had Duncan and Robinson...so you are going to tell me the twin towers are not at the level of kobe/shaq and jordan/pippen??

Seriously, come on now..

Odominator
06-12-2009, 01:03 PM
And using the same logic, Red's championships can't be taken seriously because he had a roster full of stars.

It takes the right mind to bring the players together and win a championship. If Phil coached the Cavs, who wouldn't believe that he will bring them a championship?

knoxinator 3021
06-13-2009, 04:34 AM
Phil came to the Bulls in 1990.

i know you're a mod and all...
oh yeah and your "jordansbulls"
but PJ 'came' to the bulls in 1987 as an assistant and took over as head coach in 1989...

kblo247
06-13-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm not saying Phil isn't a good coach, but would he have led say the '04 Pistons to a title?

Hard to say for a couple of reasons

1. He wouldn't be coaching LA
2. That means their record may be worse w/ all the injuries and Colarado
3. That means Portland might be in the playoffs
4. That means Sheed may not be traded to Atlanta and then to Detroit

Kyle N.
06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
As much as a hate Phil Jackson, you can't deny a person 9 (and going on 10) championships. It's not like his teams blew out other teams every game. He coached a lot of close games and his teams have won a lot of close games. Yeah he had great players but every championship team has great players. You can't discredit him for that.

ARMIN12NBA
06-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Yes.

JDizzle
06-13-2009, 04:01 PM
pretty much winning 10 titles says it all. I dont care who you have you still need to coach dem the right way and teach them the way to play your offense he has got so many different people to do it.