PDA

View Full Version : Wizards Make Offer For Ginobili

phlp_bj
06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
The Washington Wizards have made a trade offer for Manu Ginoibili.

Asked by the Argentine press this week whether he thought he could be traded, he said “impossible” had lost a few letters.

“Today I believe there is a chance it could happen,” Ginobili said.

“People get in trouble when they say never,” Gregg Popovich said Wednesday.

“But Manu Ginobili is someone I cannot envision trading,” Popovich continued. “He has been such a huge part of our heart and soul; people like that are hard to come by. You don't even think about trading somebody like that. I can't imagine a scenario where he would be traded.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Money_talks_and_Manu_stays.html

Ryan328
06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Wonder what they offered

theuuord
06-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Wonder what they offered

I assume the #5 pick had to be part of it. They do have a LOT of trade chips.

JOSKOMANG4
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Spurs getting younger????

Trade idea..

Wizards acquire SG Manu Ginobli from Spurs in exchange for SG Nick Young, PF D. SOngalia, and C/PF A. Blatche

Wizards make push for with a brand-new coach.

Lineup: (C) Haywood (PF) Jamison (SF) Butler (SG) Ginobli (PG) Arenas

Spurs get younger with Young and Blatche and add a vet in Songalia.

Projected Outcomes:

Wizards: All depends on Arenas being healthy. W/o Arenas, Their a possibly 8th seed. With Arenas, they can regain their status in the eastern conference as a 5th-6th seed.

Spurs: Spurs will still be between 4-6 seed.

Lineup: (C) Duncan) (PF) Oberto (SF) Bowen (SG) Nick young (PG) Parker.

KH12
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
San Antonio would be smart to try and move him now, and could actually get a nice return for him from Washington.

_Sn1P3r_
06-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I think the pick was involved in the offer. Jamison + Butler + Ginobili + Arenas would be crazy if they all stayed healthy.

Kdirt
06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I think the pick was involved in the offer. Jamison + Butler + Ginobili + Arenas would be crazy if they all stayed healthy.

Yeah the only problem is Caron and Ginobili will never play all 82 games. Gilbert isnt exactly an iron man either. Great NBA 2K9 team, but a bad NBA team due to the proness for injury.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I can only assume this.

Ginobli for the 5th, Nick Young, Thomas and filler.

They can draft James Harden who is compared to Ginobli.

C-Duncan, E. Thomas, Oberto
PF-Bonner, K. Thomas
SF-Finley, Young
SG-Harden, Udoka
PG-Parker, Mason, Hill

C-Haywood, Songolia
PF-Jamison, Blatche, Mcgee
SF-Butler, Bowen
SG-Ginobli, Stevenson
PG-Arenas, James, Crittenton

rapswin98
06-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Spurs getting younger????

Trade idea..

Wizards acquire SG Manu Ginobli from Spurs in exchange for SG Nick Young, PF D. SOngalia, and C/PF A. Blatche

Wizards make push for with a brand-new coach.

Lineup: (C) Haywood (PF) Jamison (SF) Butler (SG) Ginobli (PG) Arenas

Spurs get younger with Young and Blatche and add a vet in Songalia.

Projected Outcomes:

Wizards: All depends on Arenas being healthy. W/o Arenas, Their a possibly 8th seed. With Arenas, they can regain their status in the eastern conference as a 5th-6th seed.

Spurs: Spurs will still be between 4-6 seed.

Lineup: (C) Duncan) (PF) Oberto (SF) Bowen (SG) Nick young (PG) Parker.:speechless:thats so scary

Dashtary
06-11-2009, 06:27 PM
no not young or blatche :( or pick :D

AirJesus26
06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Plus Arenas just lost 20 Pounds... It seems like he's trying to get fit fast... good for him and the Wizards

JordansBulls
06-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Manu for Butler.

VCaintdead17
06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I heard the trade was,

Butler+fifth pick

FOR

Manu

dee279
06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I heard the trade was,

Butler+fifth pick

FOR

Manu

Thats giving up a bit much. Butler in some peoples eyes could be better then Manu, and Butler is younger, so giving up the fifth pick and Butler would be a bad trade IMO.

214boyz
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
butler and the fifth pick is already to much manu, dont see it happening

thedfactor
06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I highly doubt the offer was Butler and the #5 for Manu. The title of this thing is Wizards make offer to Spurs for Manu, and this would be too easy of a decision for San Antonio to accept. They lose a player who's loyal and spur at heart, but for the team's future it is a NO BRAINER. Therefore since the trade hasn't been "accepted" means that's not the pieces for MG.

Joshtd1
06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I heard it was involving the pick. Cant be it straight up though, since the Wiz cant take on Manu's salary by him self.

As someone suggested..it would have to include a couple players as salary fillers.

Unless Jamison or Butler is involved though..I dont see the Spurs trading Manu. No point in trading one of our big 3 for someone who wont be able to help right away since Pop doesnt really play rookies alot. It would be a waste to trade Manu since we only have a couple years left in the TD era to try and win.

zambo4president
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I heard the trade was,

Butler+fifth pick

FOR

Manu

Why in the **** would Washington want to do that? Give up your all star forward and a chance at getting someone really special, for Manu who isnt exactly young and is always hurt.

MSU Spartans313
06-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I heard the trade was,

Butler+fifth pick

FOR

Manu

Ill will pretty damn pissed if that is it that. The Spurs should have to give their 1st round pick up instead of the wiz. Butler is much better and younger than manu.:mad:

BALLER R
06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah the only problem is Caron and Ginobili will never play all 82 games. Gilbert isnt exactly an iron man either. Great NBA 2K9 team, but a bad NBA team due to the proness for injury.

dats ok Caron can play 41 and Ginobili can play the next 41

mavwar53
06-12-2009, 06:41 PM
no way butler and 5th for manu, I doubt they would do butler for manu. Just simple math, look at age and injuries and how manu doesn't even play starter minutes and gets injured so often, there is no way you add in the 5th.

North Yorker
06-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Aren't the Wiz trying to shed salary, and stop paying Lux. tax?

If they wacquire Manu they would most likely send 2 of their bad contracts the other way.

I'm guessin..

To Spurs: M.James,E.Thomas,Young,#5

To Wiz: Manu, filler.

If SA wantsto go young they can get Young plus a nice player with the 5th pick like Harden or Hill.

IversonIsKrazy
06-12-2009, 08:35 PM
5th(James Harden?) + Butler for Manu.

Bonner/Duncan/Butler/Harden/Parker

LakersIn5
06-12-2009, 08:49 PM
butler is already better than manu so why would they trade butler + 5th?

Lizard King
06-12-2009, 08:52 PM
The Spurs have way too much pride in their home grown players to just trade them like that. Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan will never be traded.

Catfish1314
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I read on SI it was Etan Thomas, Mike James, Nick Young, and the 5th pick for Ginobili and Oberto. So basically Young and the 5th pick for Manu. Despite everything Manu has meant to the Spurs (to me, he was as instrumental to their 2005 Championship as Duncan), that's an offer they would be unwise to refuse. Espeically when you consider Ginobili's age and health history.

Trouble87
06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I heard the trade was,

Butler+fifth pick

FOR

Manu

that sounds possible but wow.... Washington would have to ask the Spurs to throw in something else to make that worthwhile

Joshtd1
06-13-2009, 02:01 AM
I read on SI it was Etan Thomas, Mike James, Nick Young, and the 5th pick for Ginobili and Oberto. So basically Young and the 5th pick for Manu. Despite everything Manu has meant to the Spurs (to me, he was as instrumental to their 2005 Championship as Duncan), that's an offer they would be unwise to refuse. Espeically when you consider Ginobili's age and health history.

Sorry, I dont think the Spurs would accept that. Etan Thomas is decent, but has his own injury history. Mike James (all jokes aside) isnt that good. Nick Young..while young and decent..I havent seen enough out of him to want him in a deal for Manu. Add the fact that the 5th pick is in a draft that is extremely weak.

Either way Pop pretty much said he doesnt see Manu being traded, unless a team makes a stupid offer.

kblo247
06-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Sorry, I dont think the Spurs would accept that. Etan Thomas is decent, but has his own injury history. Mike James (all jokes aside) isnt that good. Nick Young..while young and decent..I havent seen enough out of him to want him in a deal for Manu. Add the fact that the 5th pick is in a draft that is extremely weak.

Either way Pop pretty much said he doesnt see Manu being traded, unless a team makes a stupid offer.

The best 2 offers I could think of for Manu is T-Mac or JO straight up as all of them have been injured for the last couple of years and could help the teams they go to if they were healthy.

azkarraga
06-13-2009, 03:04 AM
too many injury prone players together. they'll need a doctor on the roster. wouldnt do it

Joshtd1
06-13-2009, 04:07 AM
The best 2 offers I could think of for Manu is T-Mac or JO straight up as all of them have been injured for the last couple of years and could help the teams they go to if they were healthy.

We wouldnt be able to trade for Tmac without having to throw in other salary fillers, and personally I would take Manu over Tmac.

Id like JO on the Spurs, but Im not sure about his salary either, and the Spurs wouldnt trade him 1 for 1, or 1 + fillers for him either.

_KB24_
06-13-2009, 04:14 AM
PG: Arenas
SG: Ginobli
SF: Butler
PF: Jamison
C: Haywood

...THATS ****ING 4 ALL STARS PLAYING TOGETHER IN THEIR PRIMES. THAT LINEUP WOULD BE KILLER. THEY'D BE RIGHT UP THERE WITH BOSTON FOR BEST IN THE EAST AND WOULD BE BETTER THAN CLEVELAND AND ORLANDO

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2009, 04:39 AM

...THATS ****ING 4 ALL STARS PLAYING TOGETHER IN THEIR PRIMES. THAT LINEUP WOULD BE KILLER. THEY'D BE RIGHT UP THERE WITH BOSTON FOR BEST IN THE EAST AND WOULD BE BETTER THAN CLEVELAND AND ORLANDO

i honestly cant argue with u there.

i think arenas, ginobili, butler, and jamison are all kind of underrated in this league. Im sure ill get some heat for that but people seemed to have forgotten how good these players individually are (the problem is they can't work as a team, i know) but Arenas was CRAZY clutch before his injuries. Butler is still a legit all star wing in this league. Jamison hasn't slowed down a bit surprisingly and ginobili is one of the best scorers in the league IMO.

Haywood would be a good big body to go up against the bigger C's in the east, he wouldnt need to do anything but guard the paint.

i think they would have a chance to win the east to be honest depending on what their bench would look like after the trade for Manu.

nolin
06-13-2009, 04:41 AM
if young is involved and the #5 spurs would be stupid not to do it.

kblo247
06-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Shaq would start a campaign to go their and compete with Barack :p

Seriously though that group would be NASTY

SJSHARKIES
06-13-2009, 05:14 AM
A 5th round pick and Butler for Manu would be a bad trade for the Wizards. Their both pretty equal, Manu could be slightly better or even Butler might be slightly better. But, the Wizards would gain a older player and loose a younger one, plus they have to give up a 5th round draft pick. If I were a Wizards fan I say no, Spurs fan I say yes, even though I love Manu. Spurs have to start going younger sooner or latter.

SJSHARKIES
06-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Arenas, Manu, Jamison and Butler would look nice on paper, but **** how the hell would they share the ball? Chemistry is a big part of this game, I just don't see all of them coexisting together. There would be lots of problems with the ball and their numbers would fall also.

SJSHARKIES
06-13-2009, 05:23 AM
They would be like the Suns a couple of years back. We might not have the best defense but were going to beat you with our offense. They would score 100 plus points but defensively they would suck ballz.

Wilson
06-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Manu for Butler.

That would be awesome. Butler is one of my favourite players in the league, I think he could thrive as a 3rd option with the Spurs. Good defensive player too.

Wilson
06-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Arenas, Manu, Jamison and Butler would look nice on paper, but **** how the hell would they share the ball? Chemistry is a big part of this game, I just don't see all of them coexisting together. There would be lots of problems with the ball and their numbers would fall also.

I agree. One of the reasons Manu comes off the bench in San Antonio is because he and Tony Parker both control the ball a lot, so it's hard to have them on the court together. There's no reason that Manu and Arenas would be any different.

JDizzle
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
manu to the wizards i like this idea

effen5
06-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Stay in the west manu

dolfan720
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
if they get him it will be

Arenus
Butler
Ginobli
Jamison
Haywood

Thats a HELL of a starting line up but to get him the wizards would have to offer like nick young and and 1st or something like that, maybe more....

Jays Claw
06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
The San Antonio Spurs need to jump on this offer. They need to get younger and moving Manu Ginobili is a good start.

Manu Ginobili is an awesome player and he helped the Spurs to two championships in the last five years. If the Spurs manage to acquire the Washington Wizards lottery pick then they would put themselves in a good position.

The Spurs would probably draft James Harden, who has a similar game style to Ginobili.

The Wizards get an instant scorer and a veteran leader in Manu Ginobili.

mrblisterdundee
06-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Washington would not trade Caron Butler for Manu Ginobili. Caron is better than Manu, who has just come off of an injury and is already over 30 years old.

_KB24_
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
A 5th round pick and Butler for Manu would be a bad trade for the Wizards. Their both pretty equal, Manu could be slightly better or even Butler might be slightly better. But, the Wizards would gain a older player and loose a younger one, plus they have to give up a 5th round draft pick. If I were a Wizards fan I say no, Spurs fan I say yes, even though I love Manu. Spurs have to start going younger sooner or latter.

First of all, there is no "5th round pick". How can it be be a bad trade for the Wizards????? Manu is light years ahead of Young and Butler. This Wizards team would be much better than the previous Suns team and they have a good defensive minded coach in Flip. They would be contending for sure so I dont know how your saying bad trade for Wizards.

kblo247
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Washington should offer Stevenson in the deal though because the Spurs need someone who can defend with Bowen aging

SJSHARKIES
06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
First of all, there is no "5th round pick". How can it be be a bad trade for the Wizards????? Manu is light years ahead of Young and Butler. This Wazrds team would be much better than the previous Suns team and they have a good defensive minded coach in Flip. They would be contending for sure so I dont know hat your saying by bad trade for Wizards.

Someone said 5th round pick in a post, so I was going off that. When I say bad, I don't mean it's a terrible trade I just think it benefits SA more than Wizards. Cutler and Manu are pretty even, Manu I can give the edge to though, but Butler is 3 years younger. Just my opinion.

Joshtd1
06-14-2009, 01:10 AM
If it was Butler and the 5th pick....even though I love Manu, I'd be upset that the Spurs didnt accept it.

Either way guys..don't expect anything to happen. When have the Spurs made a big trade.

Joshtd1
06-14-2009, 01:11 AM
FWIW, there is also an article in which I read, that the Spurs inquired about the 5th pick, and Washington said Manu...in which the conversation ended there.

BUCSFORLIFE123
06-14-2009, 01:48 AM

no arenas doesnt know how to pass and jamison and haywood cant play d for **** no offensive post game or D

Catfish1314
06-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Either way guys..don't expect anything to happen. When have the Spurs made a big trade.

I actually wouldn't look at it that way. Duncan is not getting any younger and when he's gone, it will surely be the end of an era. Popovich is likely to follow him into retirement. Parker will be nearly 30 himself by then so the Spurs should know they need to start investing in some young talent to collect on the roster somewhere. Nick Young and the 5th overall pick would be a good start if you ask me. But you know more about Manu's value to the Spurs than I do.

Mane
06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
no arenas doesnt know how to pass and jamison and haywood cant play d for **** no offensive post game or D

Arenas actually passes a lot. And Haywood is actually a very good defender.

Joshtd1
06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I actually wouldn't look at it that way. Duncan is not getting any younger and when he's gone, it will surely be the end of an era. Popovich is likely to follow him into retirement. Parker will be nearly 30 himself by then so the Spurs should know they need to start investing in some young talent to collect on the roster somewhere. Nick Young and the 5th overall pick would be a good start if you ask me. But you know more about Manu's value to the Spurs than I do.

Yup..thats why I dont think it's worth trading Manu for Nick Young and the 5th. I just dont see them being able to help out the Spurs as much as Manu can in TD's last years. Granted I havent seen a whole lot of Young, but from what I have seen from him...it's just not enough IMO. Throw in the fact that the draft is pretty weak, and picks arent guarenteed to be that good, its very big risk.

Joshtd1
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
By the way, people that have been talking about how injury prone is, and how he isnt better then Butler....I hope you guys realize over the last 3 years, Butler has played in 188 games, while Manu has played in 193.

Durant is hype
06-14-2009, 01:08 PM
By the way, people that have been talking about how injury prone is, and how he isnt better then Butler....I hope you guys realize over the last 3 years, Butler has played in 188 games, while Manu has played in 193.

Spurs still have a couple years to contend as long as they can get more bench scoring and everybody are healthy they can compete with the best of 'em.

$$KNICK4LIFE$$
06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
terrible deal
http://tinypic.com/r/2db1ija/4

K.R.
06-14-2009, 01:24 PM
If the Wizards would give them Haywood+5th pick, I would jump on it if I'm the Spurs. You are getting younger and trading Manu before he hits a major decline. It's a major deal for the Spurs. They can trade that pick and say Udoka, Bowen or Finley for a top 3 pick possibly and take Thabeet. It would be a great pickup. Hasheem could learn a lot from one of the greatest big men of all time. He could have the type of affect Robinson has on Duncan.

You could also look at Harden, DeRozan or Evans. All SG's they should consider. This trade could post the Spurs in a great position.