PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown could be out in Cleveland?

RaysFan
06-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I don't think this happens but maybe? If Cleveland got Avery Johnson or Pat Riley, I think they would win the East for sure.

http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=554

_KB24_
06-11-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't see the guy as being a good coach. I think he's one of the most over-rated coaches out there. He's getting a free ride, without Lebron, he would not win a single game.

magicbucs4eva
06-11-2009, 01:37 AM
i coudlnt of said it any better myself kb24!! ive been saying this all year long

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 01:37 AM
I don't see the guy as being a good coach. I think he's one of the most over-rated coaches out there. He's getting a free ride, without Lebron, he would not win a single game.

Brown is a great defensive coach though. He learned under Pop in San Antonio.

nyanks79
06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Brown just won Coach of the Year award. There is no way he gets fired.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Brown just won Coach of the Year award. There is no way he gets fired.

Plenty of coaches have been fired after winning the COY award. Avery Johnson and Rick Carlisle are just a couple of examples.

kEviN21
06-11-2009, 02:45 AM
Give him one more year.

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 02:53 AM
No Brown is not overrated as a coach and he is not getting a free ride under Lebron. Brown was an assistant under Popovich in SA, why do you think Cleveland is such a great defensive team? Could it be coach Brown brought some of the same concepts of SA to Cleveland you bet ya. It's funny how you guys think, it's not his fault Cleveland had mismatch problems. Don't you get it MATCH UPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN PLAYOFFS.

dee279
06-11-2009, 03:06 AM
No Brown is not overrated as a coach and he is not getting a free ride under Lebron. Brown was an assistant under Popovich in SA, why do you think Cleveland is such a great defensive team? Could it be coach Brown brought some of the same concepts of SA to Cleveland you bet ya. It's funny how you guys think, it's not his fault Cleveland had mismatch problems. Don't you get it MATCH UPS ARE VERY IMPORTANT IN PLAYOFFS.

yeah thats where coaching comes in. If he was a good coach, he would have found ways to overcome those mismatches, and create mismatches of his own.

dee279
06-11-2009, 03:16 AM
Hope they dont get Pat Riley though.

USMCLaker
06-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Good move for Cavs it it happens and get a coach who is not in love with Lebron.

philab
06-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Brown has shown that he can learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately for the Cavaliers, sometimes he's often behind the learning curve.

Brown did a good job this year overall. He made some serious coaching errors in the playoffs, but it's certainly not enough to fire him.

And Avery Johnson? Is that a joke? Please God, don't let Avery Johnson ever come anywhere near my team.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 04:34 AM
Brown has shown that he can learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately for the Cavaliers, sometimes he's often behind the learning curve.

Brown did a good job this year overall. He made some serious coaching errors in the playoffs, but it's certainly not enough to fire him.

And Avery Johnson? Is that a joke? Please God, don't let Avery Johnson ever come anywhere near my team.

Avery Johnson would definitely be a bad fit for the Cavs. Way too controlling.

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
yeah thats where coaching comes in. If he was a good coach, he would have found ways to overcome those mismatches, and create mismatches of his own.

You have a good point, but I don't think Brown could of done much. Howard was just too strong, fast and athletic for Z, Wallace or Varajoa. Z we already know is slow as ****, but Wallace isn't anywhere near what he use to be at. He played on a knee that isn't 100%. Varajoa is a energy guy that works hard but Howard is way too much for him to handle. Cleveland Bigs can't even challenge Howard defensively. Wallace can't score for **** and same with Varajoa. Z just struggling. I'm not asking Cleveland to stop Howard, but at least challenge him and make him work. Cleveland didn't do **** to make Howard work defensively. On the offensive end, Howard gets the ball deep, Cleveland doubles Howard kicks it out to a 3 point shooter and boom you know the rest. That's what happened all series long. Lakers though have 2 big men, both 7 footers that challenge and make Howard work defensively. Gasol can score, and same with Bynum and both can actually keep up with Howard unlike Cleveland Bigs. I really believe Brown was ****ed, he couldn't do anything trust me.

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Lakers double Howard, Cleveland did also, but it's just a chase of Orlando shooters hitting everything against the Cavs and against the Lakers they have struggled. Give credit to the Lakers, hitting shots, what a difference it can make. Just look at the last game.

OG "Dee" LOCc
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
If mike brown left cleveland everything would fall apart and Lebron would have a clear path to NY.

....i hope it happens

MagicDojo
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Brown is a great defensive coach though. He learned under Pop in San Antonio.

Not against Orlando he wasn't.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Not against Orlando he wasn't.

Orlando had too many matchup advantages to overcome.

Chronz
06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I think Brown was severely outcoached but when you dont have the players there isnt much to do. Still I think he shouldve stayed at home on the shooters, used his bigs sparingly having them foul Dwight whenever possible and send him to the line 20x a game if thats what it took. Having Dwight dominate and them drain 3's isnt a good idea.

Lakers4ItAll
06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Agreed!

_KB24_
06-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Mike Brown is most likely a "GOOD" defensive coach, but nothing special. He never makes adjustments and changes during the course of a series to help his team. Look at every series that the CAVS have won or come close to. IT IS ALL LEBRON. It seems like Lebron is the coach out there. I remember one time on a interview, where he said that he listens to Lebron about this and that. You can say he gives him freedom, but the guy does not have any control of his team. He needs Lebrons approval for things to be done. He needs to take more charge and stop worrying about his job.

MagicBucsSox
06-11-2009, 07:46 PM

he lead them to 66 wins, lebron didnt ever win squat until he got there. dammy ferry should be fired not him, im sick of the way black coaches are treated. yet kurt rambis and paul westphal etc are offered jobs non stop

dee279
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
You have a good point, but I don't think Brown could of done much. Howard was just too strong, fast and athletic for Z, Wallace or Varajoa. Z we already know is slow as ****, but Wallace isn't anywhere near what he use to be at. He played on a knee that isn't 100%. Varajoa is a energy guy that works hard but Howard is way too much for him to handle. Cleveland Bigs can't even challenge Howard defensively. Wallace can't score for **** and same with Varajoa. Z just struggling. I'm not asking Cleveland to stop Howard, but at least challenge him and make him work. Cleveland didn't do **** to make Howard work defensively. On the offensive end, Howard gets the ball deep, Cleveland doubles Howard kicks it out to a 3 point shooter and boom you know the rest. That's what happened all series long. Lakers though have 2 big men, both 7 footers that challenge and make Howard work defensively. Gasol can score, and same with Bynum and both can actually keep up with Howard unlike Cleveland Bigs. I really believe Brown was ****ed, he couldn't do anything trust me.

That could have been on the coach. If he would have had the guards drive to the hoop more, Howard could have been worked and also put in foul trouble. Brown might be a great defensive coach, but offensively he does not know what he is doing.

MagicBucsSox
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Mike Brown is most likely a "GOOD"defensive coach, but nothing special. He never makes adjustments and changes during the course of a series to help his team. Look at every series that the CAVS have won or come close to. IT IS ALL LEBRON. It seems like Lebron is the coach out there. I remember one time on a interview, where he said that he listens to Lebron about this and that. You can say he gives him freedom, but the guy does not have any control of his team. He needs Lebrons approval for things to be done. He needs to take more charge and stop worrying about his job.

"good"??????????? they have the #1 defense bet you probably think thats due to lebrons blocks from behind

dee279
06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Mike Brown is most likely a "GOOD" defensive coach, but nothing special. He never makes adjustments and changes during the course of a series to help his team. Look at every series that the CAVS have won or come close to. IT IS ALL LEBRON. It seems like Lebron is the coach out there. I remember one time on a interview, where he said that he listens to Lebron about this and that. You can say he gives him freedom, but the guy does not have any control of his team. He needs Lebrons approval for things to be done. He needs to take more charge and stop worrying about his job.

Yeah u are right, but it might be too late now and really i think it should be. I always said that Mike Brown is not a good coach. Defensively he did what he needed to do but when it came down to scoring on the offensive end, he pretty much put it all on Lebron.

Mane
06-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I really think Mike Brown is extremely overrated. Without Lebron his team would be ****.

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
That could have been on the coach. If he would have had the guards drive to the hoop more, Howard could have been worked and also put in foul trouble. Brown might be a great defensive coach, but offensively he does not know what he is doing.

even if the guards did drive in it wouldn't have gotten Howard in foul trouble, Lebron and Mo are the only 2 that can score and drive. The point is Howard was never challenged by Cleveland Bigs. Both on the offensive end and on the defensive end. Howard was able to gain deep position everytime offensively. Why? Because Cleveland BIG are too slow. Results in easy dunks everytime. Defensively no one challenged him besides Lebron. What is Coach Brown suppose to do? You need to realize there is only so much a coach can do. Not only was Howard a matchup problem so was Rashad Lewis vs. Varajoa. Varajoa had to guard a much quicker/faster player. Rashad torched Varajao. What do you want Brown to do? Put Lebron on Rashad? Okay go ahead put Lebron on Rashad. Now answer my questions whos going to stop HEDO if you put LEBRON ON RASHAD. Let's get real I saw Delonte West guarding Hedo what a ****en joke. Like I said way too many matchup problems to overcome, I don't care if Phil Jackson was coaching Cleveland. Orlando caused too many problems for any coach to deal with.

dee279
06-11-2009, 09:01 PM
even if the guards did drive in it wouldn't have gotten Howard in foul trouble, Lebron and Mo are the only 2 that can score and drive. The point is Howard was never challenged by Cleveland Bigs. Both on the offensive end and on the defensive end. Howard was able to gain deep position everytime offensively. Why? Because Cleveland BIG are too slow. Results in easy dunks everytime. Defensively no one challenged him besides Lebron. What is Coach Brown suppose to do? You need to realize there is only so much a coach can do. Not only was Howard a matchup problem so was Rashad Lewis vs. Varajoa. Varajoa had to guard a much quicker/faster player. Rashad torched Varajao. What do you want Brown to do? Put Lebron on Rashad? Okay go ahead put Lebron on Rashad. Now answer my questions whos going to stop HEDO if you put LEBRON ON RASHAD. Let's get real I saw Delonte West guarding Hedo what a ****en joke. Like I said way too many matchup problems to overcome, I don't care if Phil Jackson was coaching Cleveland. Orlando caused too many problems for any coach to deal with.

DElonte West can drive too

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Dee you can't be serious can you? Go ahead have West drive and get that **** blocked by Howard. Lebron is the only one that could of challenged Howard.

SJSHARKIES
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I think coaching is very important, but at the same time some people expect too much out of coaches. Coaches get way too much blame sometimes, this is a perfect example of it.

prodigy
06-11-2009, 09:10 PM

funny, you can say the samething about phil jackson. MJ, scotty, kobe, shaq. But he has 9 rings with those guys, So he's great. Just like if mike brown won the ship, He would be considered great.

BTW- Mike brown is one of the best defensive coaches in the game. SO he is not over-rated. Look at lebron's first couple years in the NBA. YA, I'm not even sure he was on the court playing defense. Now he is a top 5 defender in this leauge. Even wally was a decent defender.

lorenz00
06-11-2009, 09:38 PM
this is all bs... i dont see him going out!

TopsyTurvy
06-11-2009, 10:14 PM
There's no way the team contemplates firing him in the off season. Now if the Cavs don't even make the playoffs next season... Well that would be different.

He may be on the hot seat as EVERYONE is looking for something to blame for the Cavs not making the finals, but I doubt that results in anything if he goes on to make the playoffs next season. One thing for sure, there will be more scrutiny on his coaching this next season.

_KB24_
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
"good"??????????? they have the #1 defense bet you probably think thats due to lebrons blocks from behind

There defense was good, but I think that there were still better defensive teams out there. KG with Celts are on a MUCH HIGHER level than the CAVS are on the defensive end. They don't have a good post defender. Look at their record against good teams this year. They've lost to the Lakers, Celtics, and Orlando, all with dominant big man. There defense is good and maybe decent at best, but still not a great overall team.

_KB24_
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
funny, you can say the samething about phil jackson. MJ, scotty, kobe, shaq. But he has 9 rings with those guys, So he's great. Just like if mike brown won the ship, He would be considered great.

BTW- Mike brown is one of the best defensive coaches in the game. SO he is not over-rated. Look at lebron's first couple years in the NBA. YA, I'm not even sure he was on the court playing defense. Now he is a top 5 defender in this leauge. Even wally was a decent defender.

Phil Jackson has proven to be a great coach and has shown that he is a winner. Don't even dare to put Mike Brown and Phil in the same sentence, let alone the same breath...Yeah championships lead to greatness, or who would care about Russel, Magic, or Bird? They have all proven to be able to win a title. Same witch coaching. Look at what Pop, Jackson, and Riley have accomplished? All great coaches. HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU OR ANYONE CALL MIKE BROWN GREAT EVEN IF HE WON A RING????????

SJSHARKIES
06-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Um KB24 he's not getting a free ride under Lebron, if you knew anything about him you would know he was an assistant under Pop in SA. Why the hell do you think Cavs are so damn good defensively? Is it Lebron? **** NO, it's Brown and the system he brings to the Cavs.

prodigy
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Phil Jackson has proven to be a great coach and has shown that he is a winner. Don't even dare to put Mike Brown and Phil in the same sentence, let alone the same breath...Yeah championships lead to greatness, or who would care about Russel, Magic, or Bird? They have all proven to be able to win a title. Same witch coaching. Look at what Pop, Jackson, and Riley have accomplished? All great coaches. HOW IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU OR ANYONE CALL MIKE BROWN GREAT EVEN IF HE WON A RING????????

Mike brown went to phil jacksons house for dinner. opps that was a sentence.

Like I said, prove me wrong. Phil won, But only with great players. Mike brown still needs another really good player to put next to lebron and mo.

To say mike brown is overrated makes no since. 66 wins, #1 defense, Been to the finals, coach of the year. The magic had a clear height miss match and took it. Congrats to them. Cavs need to get alittle bigger, and Like i said another all-star or all-star type player is needed.

BTW- you guys say mike brown gets a free ride with lebron. So phil jackson didn't with kobe, shaq, MJ, scotty etc....? Wow!! lets make since.

Sn1ch_Turna
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM

Like I said, prove me wrong. Phil won, But only with great players. Mike brown still needs another really good player to put next to lebron and mo.

To say mike brown is overrated makes no since. 66 wins, #1 defense, Been to the finals, coach of the year. The magic had a clear height miss match and took it. Congrats to them. Cavs need to get alittle bigger, and Like i said another all-star or all-star type player is needed.

BTW- you guys say mike brown gets a free ride with lebron. So phil jackson didn't with kobe, shaq, MJ, scotty etc....? Wow!! lets make since.

by since hopefully u mean sense? cool

Mike Brown is amazingly overrated, he has no offensive strategy and lets his assistants scheme on offensive TO's.

Look at the two coachs and their approach to Dwight. Mike Brown had NO idea how to stop him, he dominated the series and shone in clutch moments. Phil has neutralized Dwight in his touches, free looks, and his ability to kick the ball out of double teams. Not to mention the rotation is always impecable, with great closing on Orlando's 3 pt shooters.... Cleveland had no answer - and a large portion of that was attributable to bad coaching

_KB24_
06-13-2009, 03:45 AM

Yeah, I know lets make "since". Go back to grade 1 and hopefully you'll learn how to spell "since". Once again, don't even dare to undermine Phil when comparing to Mike Brown. The guy has done nothing in his career, and if his defense was so good, how come the MAGIC completely raped them. Their front court should have been able to contain Dwight. You have Wallace and Varejo who are tough guys and a finesse guy in Z who has length, not to mention having Joe Smith come in to help as well. Brown is too much of a ***** to coach because he doesn't have the balls to stand up and say that he is the coach, not just LeBrons puppet. It AMAZES me how Brown totally acts like a total ***** around Lebron and has no coaching skills what so ever.