PDA

View Full Version : What team would Shaq help the most next year get over the hump?

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
What team would Shaq help the most next year get over the hump?

Is it Cleveland? Boston? Dallas? Atlanta? New Orleans? Portland? Denver? , etc

Kjthunder
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Dallas

Kjthunder
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
or Atlanta because then horfard could play his natural position at PF

MTone8788
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
It depends on how you define "the hump".

It is improving win-loss record, making the playoffs, second round, third round, finals, championship? Too vauge.

Teams he would HELP would be Dallas and Atlanta as named by the two previous posters.

mikantsass
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Portland, Chicago (if they keep Gordon), Boston if he'd come off the bench and take a HUGE paycut, Miami (again), Cleveland

madiaz3
06-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Shaq (even at this age) and Dirk just seems like such a deadly frontcourt, they would compliment each other perfectly.

S.J.Basketball
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Portland. Portland has all the tools, but I think if you put Shaq in the middle it could make them into contenders. Right now Pryzbilla(however you spell it) pwns Oden. Shaq would be much better than Oden as well. It'd be interesting to see the impact he'd have if he actually joined up with the Blazers, but I doubt it happens.

superkegger
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Shaq wouldn't get any team "over the hump" Unless that hump is like luxury tax threshold.

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Shaq wouldn't get any team "over the hump" Unless that hump is like luxury tax threshold.

Yeah but 20 million would be coming off the books as well.

ELEVATION23
06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
the bobcats
felton/dj
bell/draft pick
wallace
diaw
okafor(trade for a lottery pick or vet.)
shaq

loki34
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
phoenix suns!

Missing56&33
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I think Miami misses him the most. Pat Riley would whip his fat *** back into shape.

mrblisterdundee
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Shaquille O'neal would help either the Cavaliers or the Heat next year. He's got one more year to really have an impact.

avsman05
06-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I believe shaq will help out any team that he goes to but Cleveland and Denver were on the cusp of winning so i think he has the best shots there. an underdog would be Miami they need a big man badly.

MagicDojo
06-10-2009, 06:51 PM
I vote Clippers. LOL he would love that.

Kabowdos
06-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Lakers.

LeonFSU
06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Dallas with A.I.

dodie53
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
mavs

RapOZo
06-10-2009, 08:46 PM
IMO shaq should retire while he still good, i think 16 seasons is enough...it would be sad watching such a dominant player fall to less than 14 pts and 7 reb..., good numbers for anyone but for him.

JDizzle
06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
love him in NO

CowboysKB24
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Los Angeles Lakers.

DenButsu
06-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Denver. But it's a moot point to say so because there's no way in hell they'll even think about getting him anyways.

S-Dot
06-10-2009, 11:06 PM
He is not worth trading a core player to get over the hump..the phoenix trade proved that....Phoenix is a good player to retire though

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Denver. But it's a moot point to say so because there's no way in hell they'll even think about getting him anyways.

Could they trade Kmart and a filler for him?

kjdills13
06-10-2009, 11:18 PM
shaq to the Jazz for brewer and okur

DenButsu
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Could they trade Kmart and a filler for him?

I look at K-Mart's contract as essentially unmovable until possibly his final year, which is 2010-11. There's probably not one single trade the Nuggets could pull with him at this point, and even if there were, it's about a 98% certainty that whatever shape it would take would make the team worse rather than better. K-Mart's stats aren't impressive, but I think people underestimate how critical his role in Denver's success this season was. Which is not to say he's worth what he's getting paid, but Denver's defensive overhaul really started with him, and he was essentially the defensive captain of the team throughout the season. We'd lose a lot of intangibles that would be very hard to make up for if we lost him.

Living Legend
06-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Shaq to Chicago Bulls makes the most sense for the reasons I have said before.

They have a nice outside game and Shaq would give them the defensive presence that is sorely needed.

Not to mention that he will foster D Rose into a superstar like he did for Hardway, Kobe, and Wade

Living Legend
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I vote Clippers. LOL he would love that.

That would be so funny

madiaz3
06-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I think Miami misses him the most. Pat Riley would whip his fat *** back into shape.

hes already in some pretty good shape right now

have u seen pix of him recently?

MPScribbles
06-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Kinda like the idea of Shaq to the bulls. It's only a one year solution but could really help our team mature, basketball wise of course. Shaq is obviously not a maturity inspiring figure in the traditional sense of the word. I would like to see how he could influence our young players, especially our bigs.

TWoodz09
06-10-2009, 11:56 PM
I say Dallas...Shaq >>>>> Damp

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Shaq doesn't help teams, he just helps himself. Name a team where he's left on good terms or hasn't screwed team chemistry?

avsman05
06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Shaq doesn't help teams, he just helps himself. Name a team where he's left on good terms or hasn't screwed team chemistry?

LA was not his fault. He was in good standing when he left Miami. He's in good standing with Phoenix. He messes up team chemistry when he leaves beacause its such a big hole to fill. Look how the teams did after he left.

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 12:33 AM
LA was not his fault. He was in good standing when he left Miami. He's in good standing with Phoenix. He messes up team chemistry when he leaves beacause its such a big hole to fill. Look how the teams did after he left.

He's not in good standing with Phoenix. He went from saying "I'll take a back seat in this team" to "I'm the man, give me the ball every trip down the floor".

avsman05
06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
He's not in good standing with Phoenix. He went from saying "I'll take a back seat in this team" to "I'm the man, give me the ball every trip down the floor".

where did you see that? i'm not 100% positive on that one could you post a link?

JPHX
06-11-2009, 12:56 AM
i would love for the suns and new orleans to trade centers.

sp1derm00
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Cleveland needs to trade Big Z and Wally for Shaq. Seems like a pretty fair trade to me.

Shaq would help Cleveland a LOT as long as Shaq's output was 80% of what he had this year.

Big Zo
06-11-2009, 01:09 AM

Not true. He talked **** about the front office and called out Chris Quinn and a couple of others.

THE MTL
06-11-2009, 01:14 AM
I say Cleveland Cavaliers cause Shaq can answer Dwight Howard....or Denver cause that were big-depleted cause of Nene's foul proneness

#1Mavericksfan
06-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Dallas.....Shaq can play the post and Dirk can play outside shooting 3's all night.

Lakers4ItAll
06-11-2009, 01:38 AM
Shaq to CLE ATL or DEN would make them title contenders right away.

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 01:40 AM
where did you see that? i'm not 100% positive on that one could you post a link?

Those quotes aren’t verbatim. When we traded for Shaq mid season he went on and on about how he was joining a great team and that he didn’t want change their style, and how he’d help out where he could. He also wanted to help Amar’e improve his defense and leadership skills. Then came a new coach and a new season and suddenly Shaq wanted to be the number 1 option. He openly criticized his teammates (without naming names but it was pretty clear that he was referring to Amar’e and Nash) and proclaimed that he’d have to take the team on his shoulders just like he’d done with past teams.

vigilantex69
06-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Dallas. He would fit perfect down there

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Dallas.....Shaq can play the post and Dirk can play outside shooting 3's all night.

Yep, then every opposing PG can drive the lane for an easy layup every time down the court.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 01:44 AM
I say Cleveland Cavaliers cause Shaq can answer Dwight Howard....or Denver cause that were big-depleted cause of Nene's foul proneness

Shaq would hinder Lebron's game. Not a good idea.

I would say probably Dallas. Shaq can play in the post and Dirk can play off of him with his outside game. Shaq can also rebound the ball and be a more physical presence. Definitely a much better option than Dampier. Although, I do not think the Dallas has anything to trade for Shaq in terms of matching contracts.

Julio Zuleta
06-11-2009, 01:50 AM
cavs or mavs.

#1Mavericksfan
06-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Yep, then every opposing PG can drive the lane for an easy layup every time down the court.

Atleast the Mavs would still make the playoffs...so how about them Suns?

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Atleast the Mavs would still make the playoffs...so how about them Suns?

I wouldn't bet on it. We went from the second best record in the West at the time of the Shaq/Marion trade to a 1st round exit that season and missing the playoffs this season. Where were Dallas in 2007-08 and 2008-09? Not 2nd in the West that's for sure. Shaq is like a cancer if he doesn't get his own way and isn't the "Centre" of attention.

stawka
06-11-2009, 03:30 AM
Those quotes aren’t verbatim. When we traded for Shaq mid season he went on and on about how he was joining a great team and that he didn’t want change their style, and how he’d help out where he could. He also wanted to help Amar’e improve his defense and leadership skills. Then came a new coach and a new season and suddenly Shaq wanted to be the number 1 option. He openly criticized his teammates (without naming names but it was pretty clear that he was referring to Amar’e and Nash) and proclaimed that he’d have to take the team on his shoulders just like he’d done with past teams.

Wrong. Shaq came to Phoenix and said he joined a great team and won't ruin the chemistry. They met a guy called Tim Duncan come Playoff time and AGAIN disposed of the Suns -- coaching change. New coach comes in, preaches defense and a half-court game.

Obviously going into a half-court game, you go with Shaq as the #1 option. Suns continue to lose. Coaching change #2. New coach comes in, Amare back at #1 option. Amare gets injured, Shaq becomes #1 option. Nash's numbers improve, Barbosa's numbers improve, Shaq continues to dominate, Suns continue to lose -- make a decent run at Playoff's but too little, too late.

Anyway Shaq to Dallas, Cleveland, Denver, Atlanta, New Orleans, LA Lakers or even Boston. Ultimately, he'll fit in and instantly help any team that isn't run-n-gun... More so if it's a contending team as he'll be more motivated.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Wrong. Shaq came to Phoenix and said he joined a great team and won't ruin the chemistry. They met a guy called Tim Duncan come Playoff time and AGAIN disposed of the Suns -- coaching change. New coach comes in, preaches defense and a half-court game.

Obviously going into a half-court game, you go with Shaq as the #1 option. Suns continue to lose. Coaching change #2. New coach comes in, Amare back at #1 option. Amare gets injured, Shaq becomes #1 option. Nash's numbers improve, Barbosa's numbers improve, Shaq continues to dominate, Suns continue to lose -- make a decent run at Playoff's but too little, too late.

Anyway Shaq to Dallas, Cleveland, Denver, Atlanta, New Orleans, LA Lakers or even Boston. Ultimately, he'll fit in and instantly help any team that isn't run-n-gun... More so if it's a contending team as he'll be more motivated.

I think New Orleans would be a bad fit because Shaq can't play in the pick and roll and that is Chris Paul's favorite play. Scott's system is predicated on the pick and roll, which would make it tough on the team to try to adjust to Shaquille O'neal.

MickeyMgl
06-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Cleveland makes the most sense.

Omar Little
06-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Shaq in Cleveland would put them over the top. He would allow them to space the floor so much more, allowing LeBron to operate even better. And their 3 point shooters to spot up with nobody around.

Even if he is old, you still gotta double team Shaq, plus the double team that LeBron brings on. Think about all the open players that would be free to operate.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Cleveland makes the most sense.

I'm not sure about the Lebron and Shaq chemistry though. Both on and off the court.

Bishnoff
06-11-2009, 05:56 AM

Wrong? How's what I said wrong when you wrote pretty much the same as what I wrote? Or are you wrong too?

Obviously going into a half-court game, you go with Shaq as the #1 option.

No, the obvious thing would be to keep going through a 26 year old 25+ ppg player, instead of a 36 year old sub 15 ppg player (which he was in 2007-08). Amar'e has expanded his offensive game considerably over the last few seasons, but he is not a back-to-the-basket player, which is what Porter tried to turn him into. STAT can play the half-court, just not as stationary option on the low block.

Suns continue to lose. Coaching change #2. New coach comes in, Amare back at #1 option. Amare gets injured, Shaq becomes #1 option. Nash's numbers improve, Barbosa's numbers improve, Shaq continues to dominate, Suns continue to lose -- make a decent run at Playoff's but too little, too late.

The other player's numbers improved because we were taking 20 or so more shots a game and playing at a much higher (and more comfortable) tempo. Shaq didn't dominate, but he did play well considering his age.

My whole point is that Shaq continuously criticized the team, coaching staff, and his fellow team-mates – how is that not detrimental to team chemistry?

azkarraga
06-11-2009, 06:55 AM
id like ot see him with the bulls. Id like to see him and rose together

jhobbins30
06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I believe shaq will help out any team that he goes to but Cleveland and Denver were on the cusp of winning so i think he has the best shots there. an underdog would be Miami they need a big man badly.

i doubt he goes back to miami

JordansBulls
06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Shaq in Cleveland would put them over the top. He would allow them to space the floor so much more, allowing LeBron to operate even better. And their 3 point shooters to spot up with nobody around.

Even if he is old, you still gotta double team Shaq, plus the double team that LeBron brings on. Think about all the open players that would be free to operate.

The only problem is Lebron needs the paint to work.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
i would say portland...

jonjon1040
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
i think he would help san antonio get over the hump. duncan would have a little less pressure on him defensively and the spurs played very well with two big men on the floor

blackjack_119
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Hard to pick your own team and not sound like a homer, but I do think that Shaq would put Portland over the top. They are a jump shooting team that has no true post presence to draw in the defense. Currently, Brandon Roy's penetration is the only way that the defense collapses to open up the perimeter shooting. Having a low post threat like Shaq would improve the perimeter shooting and make the work load easier for Brandon Roy.

Also Shaq would be a great mentor for Greg Oden and this young team. The Blazers have tons of talent, but no veteran presence. Shaq would change that.

Chronz
06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Cleveland, Portland, Dallas, LAL, Clippers, San Antonio, Boston

Hed fit in more seamlessly in some more than others but these are all teams that could greatly benefit from Shaqs presence. Would he be willing to come off the bench though?

DenButsu
06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Cleveland, Portland, Dallas, LAL, Clippers, San Antonio, Boston

Hed fit in more seamlessly in some more than others but these are all teams that could greatly benefit from Shaqs presence. Would he be willing to come off the bench though?

Curious as to why you'd leave the Nuggets off that list. After watching the L.A. series I think it's a no brainer that his size, rebounding and post scoring could have given Denver a tremendous boost.

ewing
06-11-2009, 12:28 PM
ABC's halftime team.

Chronz
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Curious as to why you'd leave the Nuggets off that list. After watching the L.A. series I think it's a no brainer that his size, rebounding and post scoring could have given Denver a tremendous boost.
It would be a boost if it doesnt take away from your optimal lineup which includes Nene, and I dont like the idea of Nene + Shaq sharing the paint. Nene's improved his range quite abit but hes still has a ways to go before its a consistent weapon. To put it simply, Shaq would help any team he joins so long as hes willing to accept any role.

The teams I named could offer Shaq a frontcourt partner that can shoot. The thing I love about Shaq was that you didnt need to find him a player to do the dirty work, he does it all. You just need someone who can make teams pay for sending their 2nd bigman to help.
K-Mart is decent but hes not Lemarcus, Dirk, Pau, Duncan or KG.

The 2 teams I mentioned that didnt offer that had Bron on the cusp of a Chip needing only some kind of help or were my hometown team.

Denver needs a PF more than anything, but maybe Im underrating Nene's versatility, maybe he would be the best frontcourt partner hes ever had. It all depends on the lineups, how do you see Denver utilizing Shaq, does he start? How many minutes, and with whom? Does he change the offense significantly?

JOSKOMANG4
06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Cavaliers need a center that doesn't mind crashing the boards & someone that can rebound. Big Z was always a jump shooter and Ben Wallace never saw time on the court.

Trade idea:

- Shaq to the Cavs in exchange for contract of (C) Ben Wallace, SG Sasho Pavlovic, and 2009 1st rd pick(30th overall).

This works...

For the Suns because most likely they'll buyout the contract of Ben Wallace. (SG) Pavlovic is also a nice asset for an off-the-bench player. Overall, both contracts expire at year's end.

For the Cavaliers, one last push for an NBA title. Shaq is a one year rental at 21 mill.

Lineup:

Cavs: (C) Shaq, (PF) Hickson (SF) Lebron James (SG) Allen Iverson(will sign with the Cavs (PG) Mo williams

Suns: (C) Amare (PF) Dudley (SF) Richardson (SG) Barbosa (PG) Nash

Most likely destination for Shaq.. Dallas Mavericks

- Suns acquire (SF) Josh Howard and (SG) Jerry Stackhouse from Mavericks in exchange for (C) Shaq

Works out b/c...

Suns acquire young talent in Howard and experience vet in stackhouse. Out of the two, Howard might be the one retained. The move will move Amare back to center and hopefully bring the Suns back to their up-court tempo.

The Mavericks make one last push for an NBA title. Shaq is the big body they need in the paint. Dampier has been a waste.

Suns lineup: (C) Amare, (PF) dudley (SF) Howard (SG) richardson (PG) Nash

Mavs lineup: (C) Shaq, (PF) Dirk (SF) A. Wright, (SG) J. Terry (PG) J Kidd resigned*

oshea225
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
cleveland. him and lebron = FORCE. i wished that trade went down the day of the deadline this season. even if he just gave them, say, about 16 and 9, his size, presence, experience, and (declining) dominance would do wonders for the cavs. he could stop dwight too (or at least do a better on him then the cavs frontcourt did in the conference finals). hell, he could mirror his play in these finals. work down low, if your stuck, kick it out to the shooters (mo-will, west, wally, boobie) or hook up lebron wherever he wants it.

MickeyMgl
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM

On the other hand, at the risk of contradicting myself, Shaq does crowd the lane. He may have the opposite effect, and leave less room for Lebron to operate. Both want to be close to the rim.

Ray_R
06-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Cavs maybe they didnt have to double team Dwight Howard and get over the hump

Chronz
06-11-2009, 08:46 PM
On the other hand, at the risk of contradicting myself, Shaq does crowd the lane. He may have the opposite effect, and leave less room for Lebron to operate. Both want to be close to the rim.

So did Wade, and Bron is a superior slasher with more range. Again tell me how Ben Wallace or Anderson dont clog the lane.

avsman05
06-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Not true. He talked **** about the front office and called out Chris Quinn and a couple of others.

That's very true i forgot about that one.

MickeyMgl
06-12-2009, 04:36 AM
So did Wade, and Bron is a superior slasher with more range. Again tell me how Ben Wallace or Anderson dont clog the lane.

They don't draw extra defenders to the paint.

Chronz
06-12-2009, 05:30 AM
They don't draw extra defenders to the paint.

So you think Shaqs ability to draw a double team and open up driving lanes would hurt Brons offensive game? Shaq occupies 2 defenders, Ben Wallace clogs the paint more than Shaq because he wont ever command any respect offensively, and hes not as good of a picksetter as Shaq is.

IndiansFan337
06-12-2009, 05:59 AM
What team would Shaq help the most next year get over the hump?

Is it Cleveland? Boston? Dallas? Atlanta? New Orleans? Portland? Denver? , etc

Cleveland or Dallas, with Denver as a slight possibility. Although Nene was tremendous last season for them. And he & K-Mart would be hard for Denver to move in any trade, due to their salaries & the constant injury concerns.

Phxtoday
06-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Cavaliers need a center that doesn't mind crashing the boards & someone that can rebound. Big Z was always a jump shooter and Ben Wallace never saw time on the court.

Trade idea:

- Shaq to the Cavs in exchange for contract of (C) Ben Wallace, SG Sasho Pavlovic, and 2009 1st rd pick(30th overall).

This works...

For the Suns because most likely they'll buyout the contract of Ben Wallace. (SG) Pavlovic is also a nice asset for an off-the-bench player. Overall, both contracts expire at year's end.

For the Cavaliers, one last push for an NBA title. Shaq is a one year rental at 21 mill.

Lineup:

Cavs: (C) Shaq, (PF) Hickson (SF) Lebron James (SG) Allen Iverson(will sign with the Cavs (PG) Mo williams

Suns: (C) Amare (PF) Dudley (SF) Richardson (SG) Barbosa (PG) Nash

Most likely destination for Shaq.. Dallas Mavericks

- Suns acquire (SF) Josh Howard and (SG) Jerry Stackhouse from Mavericks in exchange for (C) Shaq

Works out b/c...

Suns acquire young talent in Howard and experience vet in stackhouse. Out of the two, Howard might be the one retained. The move will move Amare back to center and hopefully bring the Suns back to their up-court tempo.

The Mavericks make one last push for an NBA title. Shaq is the big body they need in the paint. Dampier has been a waste.

Suns lineup: (C) Amare, (PF) dudley (SF) Howard (SG) richardson (PG) Nash

Mavs lineup: (C) Shaq, (PF) Dirk (SF) A. Wright, (SG) J. Terry (PG) J Kidd resigned*

i don't like either of these ideas as a suns fan.
even if we are going back to SSOL / Run 'n' Gun, i don't want amare back at the 5. he is too dangerous at the 4, yes his defense needs works, but i dont want him anywhere else but the 4. trade shaq for someone like chandler, camby, big ben if he stays.

but no amare back at center! :badidea:

JordansBulls
06-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Now imagine Shaq on Cleveland next year with Lebron and playing LA in the finals. That could be the highest ratings ever.

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Now imagine Shaq on Cleveland next year with Lebron and playing LA in the finals. That could be the highest ratings ever.

you would see a single tear fall from david stern's eyes when he hands both those respective teams their conference titles...Sportscenter would cover it 24/7

Kakaroach
06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Shaq and LeBron that is interesting. Would Shaq play second fiddle though? He would give them a guy to guard Dwight but that would be an interesting team.

S-Dot
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Cleveland would need to keep varejao and add one more perimeter scorer...but shaq and lebron would have been better this year together though, does shaq still have one more good year left?

MickeyMgl
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
So you think Shaqs ability to draw a double team and open up driving lanes would hurt Brons offensive game? Shaq occupies 2 defenders, Ben Wallace clogs the paint more than Shaq because he wont ever command any respect offensively, and hes not as good of a picksetter as Shaq is.

Shaq's ability to draw extra defenders into the lane COULD hurt Lebron's offensive game. More defenders in the paint does not open up driving lanes.

Shaq's no good in pick'n'roll anymore because he isn't as mobile as he used to be. If he sets a pick for Lebron at the top of the key, both defenders will go to Lebron.

The question is merely which areas of the floor are opened up by Shaq's presence. If the Cavaliers bring O'Neal to Cleveland, Lebron better practiced his long-range shooting.

MickeyMgl
06-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Shaq and LeBron that is interesting. Would Shaq play second fiddle though? He would give them a guy to guard Dwight but that would be an interesting team.

Shaq already played 2nd fiddle to Wade.

MickeyMgl
06-13-2009, 12:05 AM

And the altitude in Denver could give Shaq dizzy spells.

markhebert42
06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Let him come off the bench in LA to spell Bynum and win three more rings...sorry, I just slapped myself in the face.