PDA

View Full Version : Do these commentators ever know what is going on?

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Yesterday after the game, the commentators said the Lakers had the habit of taking game 3 off. How is that so when they lost game 3 vs Utah by 2 points and they won game 3 in Houston and in Denver?

That doesn't appear by any means that a team is taking a game off.

Kakaroach
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, that was a dumb comment lmao. Doesn't make any sense at all.

wileyisTOFU
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
i cant hate on the abc broadcast team. marc jackson and jeff van gundy are great, sure they say some dumb **** everynow and then, but its better then listening to reggier miller.

JIDsanity
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
It was a mistake, they were trying to acknowledge the fact that the Lakers take games off after wins, or they have during the playoffs. If you "knew" what was going on you'd know that

DrDEADalready
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I hate the commentators they are always onesided they either say stuff just favoring the lakers. or just stuff favoring the Magic.

Fool
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
the reference to the game # was off, but it was a fact that the Lakers earlier in the playoffs would probably have taken a game off, simply because they were up 2-0.

stevefrancis
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
only when the lakers lose its considered taking a night off. lets hear orlando played good defense.

ggg
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
after winning 2 games that is. when youre tied at 1-1 going to the opponents court, its not even a question if its a must win game.

albertc86
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
These commentators are an absolute joke. You would never guess that they were calling the finals; they're boring.

wileyisTOFU
06-10-2009, 12:13 PM
these are the best commentators in the game, who would be better???? please, name a 2 or 3 man booth thats better

ggg
06-10-2009, 12:16 PM
i think mark jackson, vangundy and breen are the best out there. who else can be better? they have chemistry, humor, and they know what theyr talking about.

Fool
06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
only when the lakers lose its considered taking a night off. lets hear orlando played good defense.

you're obviously not listening.

READ THE THREAD. The Lakers showed up tonight, the Magic played better. People weren't saying that the Lakers didn't show up.

D_Rose1118
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
these are the best commentators in the game, who would be better???? please, name a 2 or 3 man booth thats better

Bob Costas, Doug Collins, Isiah Thomas and Ahmad Rashad

Takin it back to the NBA on NBC
:)

wileyisTOFU
06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

fair enough, but im talking about now-a-days

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 12:41 PM

:nod:

r8derguy805
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I am sick of the commentators saying bs they don't know what they are talking about. I would rather have the TNT crew doing the finals. ABC crew is like "oh no, watch out now lakers, this magic team is for real" Um hello..was everyone else watching the same damn game as I was. I just witnessed Orlando play there best game of the playoffs and the lakers a sub par game and yet we had the chance to win and almost did..

D_Rose1118
06-10-2009, 01:00 PM
fair enough, but im talking about now-a-days

IDK i like the TNT crew

kozzer
06-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Breen and Van Gundy are good. But I'm really tired of hearing Mark Jackson talk about the 'cup' and how each game is for 'all the marbles' 8 kagillion times. Plus, everything he says is vague and meaningless.

albertc86
06-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I am sick of the commentators saying bs they don't know what they are talking about. I would rather have the TNT crew doing the finals. ABC crew is like "oh no, watch out now lakers, this magic team is for real" Um hello..was everyone else watching the same damn game as I was. I just witnessed Orlando play there best game of the playoffs and the lakers a sub par game and yet we had the chance to win and almost did..

So would I. At least they'd bring excitement to the game and call it like it is.

atl_braves_fan
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM

I heard somewhere that Doug Collins coached Micheal Jordan?!? Maybe I heard it from him because he mentions it EVERY SINGLE GAME. It gets a little old.

In all seriousness, I like Van Gundy and Breen ... I could do without Mark Jackson.

KG2TB
06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I heard somewhere that Doug Collins coached Micheal Jordan?!? Maybe I heard it from him because he mentions it EVERY SINGLE GAME. It gets a little old.

In all seriousness, I like Van Gundy and Breen ... I could do without Mark Jackson.

I love Doug Collin's passion, excitement, and coaching point of view in his commentary, personally. You're gonna be redundant ever once in a while but bring me a passionate, knowledgeable commentator and I'm happy. That's why I also like Hubie Brown while a lot of other people label him boring. The guy has more knowledge than probably any other commentator and is extremely passionate. He points out little things in the game that guys like Marc Jackson and SVG don't. Jackson and SVG are alright but I don't really like too much humor in the Championship Series. I'd rather have excitement and seriousness. That's why Howard pisses me off at times. There ain't no laughing and smiling in the finals! Get out there and kill someone! Either way, Hubie, Doug Collins, and Magic Johnson are my favorite commentators of all time. Marv Albert was pretty good too. Bill Walton = worst of all time

J-Relo
06-10-2009, 02:04 PM

they played incredibly on offense

kozzer
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Bill Walton = worst of all timeI think we can all agree that these have been the best playoffs in recent memory precisely because Bill Walton has been absent from all the TV broadcasts.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Yesterday after the game, the commentators said the Lakers had the habit of taking game 3 off. How is that so when they lost game 3 vs Utah by 2 points and they won game 3 in Houston and in Denver?

I agree with you completely JB, it's as if LA is supposed to not lose a game or two, if they do, they are taking nights off. The broadcasters and analysts are so fickle when it comes to the Lakers, one night the team is the best in the league, but all hell is raised if the Lakers lose a game. The commentators and analysts pounce on 1 or 2 losses and act like LA is not competing hard enough, when that is not the case, teams at this stage in the postseason are very good. In my opinion, there is no reason to start pushing the panic button after a loss or two, all of these teams are very good and deserve more credit for winning. It's not about LA not playing hard enough, it's about the other team being better that particular game and winning the game.

*As you stated, LA won both game 3's against Denver and Houston, clearly the broadcast team wasn't prepared prior to the game.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't particularly like Mike Breen and Mark Jackson as play by play and color commentators. Van Gundy is funny, but at times all 3 take the focus off the game and start speaking about things no one cares about.

*I would rather see Kevin Harlan, Dick Stockton and or Marv Albert calling each game. Doug Collins is okay, but I get tired of hearing about how many times he coached Michael Jordan. lol

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
How do you all like ABC's coverage of the finals? What about the commentators? Personally, I miss having games on NBC, the broadcast teams were outstanding and the music prior to the game would set the stage and get everyone ready for basketball.

*On NBC, you had Marv Albert and Mike Fratello calling the games along with Bob Costas and Doug Collins. They also had Bill Walton and Steve "Snapper" Jones and Ahmad Rashad. The halftime show was good with Hannah Storm, Dr. J, Peter Vecsey.

superkegger
06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I didn't hear him say they took game 3's off, I thought he said the Lakers had a tendency to slack off after getting a series lead, which happened vs. the Jazz, and vs the Rockets.

albertc86
06-10-2009, 02:43 PM

I'd rather hear about Jordan than being reminded that Jeff and Stan are brothers all the time. I think we can do without the childhood anecdotes.

KG2TB
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I think we can all agree that these have been the best playoffs in recent memory precisely because Bill Walton has been absent from all the TV broadcasts.

It definitely doesn't hurt

cmacmath
06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Van Gundy and Breen are alright...Jackson is an idiot...

Doug Collins and Steve "Snapper" Jones are the best all time...i miss Snapper, I get league pass and last year he was doing some Sonics games, but this year he seems to be gone...

anybody got an update on him??

Nirvanaskurdt
06-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Biased excuses.. :shrug:

Odominator
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Great Commentator:

Marv Albert- gotta love his passion.

I agree, bring NBA back to NBC. Love NBC, abc, espn, and disney does not make the nba exciting enough...

wileyisTOFU
06-10-2009, 06:04 PM
espn/abc broadcast team is better.
tnt's pregame/aftershow is better.

OG "Dee" LOCc
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I wish clyde n breen did the finals lol along wit van gundy that would be good

or gus johnson hes great

Born a Brave
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Wrote a little article on the Kobe "scowl" that has gained a lot of attention this playoffs. Hope everyone enjoys! http://www.atlantabravesnews.com/bornabrave/weblog/7568/kobe-please-stop.html

MagicDojo
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I can't stand the constant blather. I turn off the tv and turn on my local playbyplay on the radio.

showtym24
06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Wish TNT did the finals. Give me doug collins over anyone. And thier half time show is actually watchable.

GspLAL
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Doug Collins & Marv Albert...Bob Costas when he was on NBC

Durant is hype
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
It was a mistake, they were trying to acknowledge the fact that the Lakers take games off after wins, or they have during the playoffs. If you "knew" what was going on you'd know that

Exactly.

Durant is hype
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM

That's past,I think he meant present.

ARMIN12NBA
06-10-2009, 07:30 PM

They wanted to spur interest and get people interested in watching the game. If they said that the Lakers were great in Game 3 then some viewers would switch the channel. Not their fault. Plus, Mike Breen hates the Lakers.

ARMIN12NBA
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Costas and Walton were fantastic.

showtym24
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
They wanted to spur interest and get people interested in watching the game. If they said that the Lakers were great in Game 3 then some viewers would switch the channel. Not their fault. Plus, Mike Breen hates the Lakers.

So true. I cant stand him.

markhebert42
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM

What if you threw Reggie Miller in there to replace Action Jackson?

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
How do you all like ABC's coverage of the finals? What about the commentators? Personally, I miss having games on NBC, the broadcast teams were outstanding and the music prior to the game would set the stage and get everyone ready for basketball.

*On NBC, you had Marv Albert and Mike Fratello calling the games along with Bob Costas and Doug Collins. They also had Bill Walton and Steve "Snapper" Jones and Ahmad Rashad. The halftime show was good with Hannah Storm, Dr. J, Peter Vecsey.

NBC was the best.

S-Dot
06-10-2009, 09:31 PM
NBC was the best.

I definitely agree, but Van Gundy and Breen are good....its Mark Jackson and the "mama there goes that man" that gets me

kblo247
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
ABC has one very good guy that they could use to call the finals who isn't biased, knows what he is talking about, yet they aren't using Hubie Brown for the finals.

Make it a four man team with Hubie calling some of the action with Breen/JVG/Jackson

kblo247
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Give me Stu and Joel any day of the week at least they flat out say when LA or the other team is playing good or bad

_KB24_
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I understand what they mean. The Lakers always seem to not show up and play a "lazy" game after winning a game. They don't play with that sense of urgency.

KG2TB
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Costas and Walton were fantastic.

Are you serious about Walton? I would rather pour gasoline on my eyes, and light a match than to listen to that clown. For someone who played ball and was an all-star he is one of the biggest idiots I've ever heard talk about basketball. He has absolutely no insight and only gives stars and marquee teams any type of credit and recognition. How many times can you hear someone say 'throw it down big guy' ? I'm being honest, I've never heard commentator in sports say more outrageous, ignorant, idiotic things in my life. That's the beauty of opinions though. We all got em.

IndyRealist
06-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Dick Vitale and Clark Kellogg.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Are you serious about Walton? I would rather pour gasoline on my eyes, and light a match than to listen to that clown. For someone who played ball and was an all-star he is one of the biggest idiots I've ever heard talk about basketball. He has absolutely no insight and only gives stars and marquee teams any type of credit and recognition. How many times can you hear someone say 'throw it down big guy' ? I'm being honest, I've never heard commentator in sports say more outrageous, ignorant, idiotic things in my life. That's the beauty of opinions though. We all got em.

That's why I love Walton. I love listening to his ridiculously moronic comments, which Costats and (insert other commentator here) try to temper with rationale. Don't take Walton too seriously. If you listen to him to just get a good laugh then it's quite the riot.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 01:52 AM
BTW--Same goes for Tommy Heinsohn. Incredibly biased, but fun to listen to if you don't take him seriously.

JordansBulls
06-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Dick Vitale and Clark Kellogg.

For college sure.

desertlakeshow
06-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Ill take Doug Costas, Marv Albert, Doug Collins, and Hubie Brown.

Sly Guy
06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
van Gundy has his moments of comedic genius. Marc Jackson is the second coming of Bill Walton.