PDA

View Full Version : I want Ariza on our team...

NBA_Starter
06-10-2009, 12:40 AM
His 3 point shot is coming around, his defense is outstanding and he's still young, I think he'd be the perfect backup for Gerald Wallace.

Thoughts?

Living Legend
06-10-2009, 12:53 AM
He is too skinny

SwaggaIke
06-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Ariza is a starter in the league.

RollinDeep
06-10-2009, 01:02 AM

This

NBA_Starter
06-10-2009, 01:08 AM

Now he is but he came off of the bench earlier in the season and in the past.

masalex1205
06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Now he is but he came off of the bench earlier in the season and in the past.

He is progressed to the point where he is def. a starter in this league. Besides we wouldn't be able to afford him.

We have much more glaring needs to spend money (resign Felton, gett a backup shooting guard/power forward). He's just a younger version of Crash (albeit w/ a better shot).

UNCChawk
06-11-2009, 12:56 AM
He is progressed to the point where he is def. a starter in this league. Besides we wouldn't be able to afford him.

We have much more glaring needs to spend money (resign Felton, gett a backup shooting guard/power forward). He's just a younger version of Crash (albeit w/ a better shot).

Agreed. I like Ariza, especially on the defensive end, but I don't think he brings to this team what we really need.

What about that Shannon Brown kid? He seems like he's got a bright future. Imagine what we could do with him on our team. :D

Iron24th
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Ariza is the Lakers starting SF for years to come,he is a huge part of our succes,FO and Kobe himself will not let him go.

masalex1205
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Ariza is the Lakers starting SF for years to come,he is a huge part of our succes,FO and Kobe himself will not let him go.

FO and Kobe are going to have to find a way to get Ariza to take less than market value to stay

SwaggaIke
06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
FO and Kobe are going to have to find a way to get Ariza to take less than market value to stay

Kobe will make sure Ariza gets his deal this summer. Ariza is Kobe's defensive insurance, as Pippen was to Jordan. I remember back during the 97 Finals when Jordan had the "flu". Pippen told Jordan that he'd guard his man and his own so Jordan could carry them offensively down the stretch. Kobe knows that he NEEDS Ariza and Trevor is an LA guy. I can see both sides coming to a mutual agreement this summer w/ Odom receiving the short end of the stick.

**I'm not in any way saying Ariza/Kobe are on Pippen/Jordan's level.**

masalex1205
06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Kobe will make sure Ariza gets his deal this summer. Ariza is Kobe's defensive insurance, as Pippen was to Jordan. I remember back during the 97 Finals when Jordan had the "flu". Pippen told Jordan that he'd guard his man and his own so Jordan could carry them offensively down the stretch. Kobe knows that he NEEDS Ariza and Trevor is an LA guy. I can see both sides coming to a mutual agreement this summer w/ Odom receiving the short end of the stick.

**I'm not in any way saying Ariza/Kobe are on Pippen/Jordan's level.**

hahaha, i was just about to say something about that.

I think Ariza is a little less valuable than you make him out to be, certainly the Lakers would be a much worse team w/o Gasol than w/o him. This makes it hard for me to understand your Pippen/Ariza comparison.

I agree w/ you that Ariza will be back but Im interested to see how they handle Odom's situation as well as what they do at point guard. The Lakers already have something like $74 million guaranteed next year (Providing Kobe doesn't opt out). Even if Ariza takes less than market value like say $7 million then they're at $81 mill already w/o addressing Odom, Brown, or any other free agents to fill out the roster. That's 10 million over the luxury tax.

Gettin' pretty expensive in LA.

SwaggaIke
06-12-2009, 03:49 PM
hahaha, i was just about to say something about that.

I think Ariza is a little less valuable than you make him out to be, certainly the Lakers would be a much worse team w/o Gasol than w/o him. This makes it hard for me to understand your Pippen/Ariza comparison.

I agree w/ you that Ariza will be back but Im interested to see how they handle Odom's situation as well as what they do at point guard. The Lakers already have something like $74 million guaranteed next year (Providing Kobe doesn't opt out). Even if Ariza takes less than market value like say $7 million then they're at $81 mill already w/o addressing Odom, Brown, or any other free agents to fill out the roster. That's 10 million over the luxury tax.

Gettin' pretty expensive in LA.

Of course Gasol is his right hand man, but Ariza is his defensive insurance. Do you know who Kobe guarded last night and primarily throughout the Finals? He missed 20 shots last night partially due to his dead legs from guarding Pietrus, imagine if he would have had to guard Hedo the entire night. Imagine if Ariza wasn't there to score those 13 3rd quarter points that SPARKED the Lakers. Imagine if he wouldn't have made the pass to Fisher that will ultimately ended the Magic's season short of a championship. I can count three games off the top of my head that Ariza won on defensive effort alone in these playoffs. Maybe I am overvaluing Ariza but I will tell you one thing, if it comes down to him or Lamar....Odom is gone and Mitch won't even blink an eye.

As I said before i'm not placing Ariza's skill level anywhere near Pippen's, but he does some of the same things Pippen did for Jordan. And you're right, LA will have a lot of decisions to make this summer. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

94forlife
06-12-2009, 10:42 PM
backup for wallace how about wallace backs him up why would he go to the bobcats staying in la with a ring keep dreaming

NBA_Starter
06-13-2009, 07:53 PM

So are you implying that Lamar Odom's days are numbered in LA?

backup for wallace how about wallace backs him up why would he go to the bobcats staying in la with a ring keep dreaming

Wallace a back up?? LoL Just chill out it's just a hypothetical thread.