PDA

View Full Version : First Round of Playoffs

OHMYLORD
06-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Just a quick question.

Why in baseball is the first round of the playoffs only BO5. In Basketball and Hockey its BO7, and I think it would make more sense to have a BO7 first round. One big reason is because whoever has home field advantage has such a big advantage due to first 2 games being home.

Thoughts?

Pavelb1
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Basketball and Hockey are played indoors.

vigilantex69
06-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Because basketball and hockey try to milk it for all its worth. The seasons are long enough. The NBA and NHL are a joke anyway and that 7 game playoff crap is just too much. It is a money gimmick that is all, don't let anyone tell you different. The NBA playoffs take what? Like 3 months to complete? By then nobody even cares anymore! It's a gimmick to sell more Lebron advertisements and to sell more seats and commercial time for games. They all should have stuck with 5, thank god for baseball and football playoff systems.

good spliff
06-09-2009, 11:07 PM
vmy

mnrlgry
06-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Because basketball and hockey try to milk it for all its worth. The seasons are long enough. The NBA and NHL are a joke anyway and that 7 game playoff crap is just too much. It is a money gimmick that is all, don't let anyone tell you different. The NBA playoffs take what? Like 3 months to complete? By then nobody even cares anymore! It's a gimmick to sell more Lebron advertisements and to sell more seats and commercial time for games. They all should have stuck with 5, thank god for baseball and football playoff systems.

You realize that baseball's league series and world series are 7 games right?

abe_froman
06-10-2009, 02:28 AM
Just a quick question.

Why in baseball is the first round of the playoffs only BO5. In Basketball and Hockey its BO7, and I think it would make more sense to have a BO7 first round. One big reason is because whoever has home field advantage has such a big advantage due to first 2 games being home.

Thoughts?

because that how the others use to be,but extended in an effort to milk more money.baseball just didnt...and there should be reward for having the better record(getting hfa),even though so many wc teams have done well in the playoffs that it doesnt matter that much

tsunami
06-10-2009, 03:08 AM

yeah it's really a shame that pitt and detroit are gonna play a game 7 this year. i'm sure hockey fans everywhere are pissed that this awesome series isn't over already.

You realize that baseball's league series and world series are 7 games right?

and at times the world series was a best of 9.

hockey and basketball used to be best of 5 in the first rounds. i'm glad they changed it to equal the other rounds. i wish baseball would do the same.

Gigantes4Life
06-10-2009, 03:45 AM
I understand what he's trying to say though. The NBA and NHL have longer postseasons and they try and extend it out by having every series 7 games. It's smart though, as that's more games to make more money. The NBA is a bit ridiculous IMO, since most of the series are over before they start, and it seems to take forever until you get to series that actually matter.

In a way, I kind of like the 5 game series, there's very little room for error, so even game 1 is extremely crucial.

Pinstripe pride
06-10-2009, 09:02 AM

To be fair, the length of the hockey and basketball playoffs is less about 7 game series and more about half the league making the playoffs.

JaysFan87
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM

ANd playing 162 games a year is not??? I'm not sayign they are strictly doing it for the money. But if are going to argue that 7 game playoff series is only a money grabbing venture, then one can easily argue that the MLB season being 162 is a money grabbing venture.

Tragedy
06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm actually a fan of the best of 5. I'm also a fan of three rounds in the Playoffs, as opposed to four. The NBA and NHL draw out their Playoffs simply TOOOO much.

RedSoxhater
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
and at times the world series was a best of 9.

There were also no division series or championship series. The best team from each league was in the World Series, period.

cheerio
06-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Just a quick question.

Thoughts?

Some analysis on ESPN was saying that the NBA should be BO 5 for the first round