PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions of Tim Duncan when he came out of college

Incublime24
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
So I wasn't a big college basketball fan when Tim Duncan was coming out of Wake Forest and going into the NBA Draft. I am wondering what people were saying about Duncan when he entered the draft. I know he was the first overall pick so there had to be a lot of talk about him. Did people think he had the potential to be a perennial all-star and first ballot hall of famer when he was coming out? I've seen a lot of hype the past two years about Michael Beasley and Blake Griffin being a possible top pick after dominating the college ranks. That is what got me thinking about Duncan. Was he just the best big man coming out of college like Beasley and Griffin, or did people know at the time just how good Timmy would be.

For the record, I am not comparing Duncan to Griffin or Beasley in terms of their playing style or athletic ability. I am just comparing top players coming out of college and their realistic expectations.

madiaz3
06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I think his playing four years of college had a pretty big impact on how consistent he could be, I could be wrong.

abe_froman
06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
he was hyped up as the best thing since shaq,yes timmy had the hype machine in overdrive way more than beasley or griffin

Chronz
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
He had way more hype than those 2, and people probably knew they were looking at a future All-NBA fixture, I doubt we knew he was going to be top 15 material.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Tim Duncan was dubbed the biggest prize of that draft, a franchise changing center. Little did anyone know that San Antonio would sit a healthy Admiral, totally tank, and get the rights to draft him.

da wood
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
yes he was so fundimentally sound you could pass on him he was that good even in school

theuuord
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Tim Duncan was dubbed the biggest prize of that draft, a franchise changing center. Little did anyone know that San Antonio would sit a healthy Admiral, totally tank, and get the rights to draft him.

It's not like he had much choice in sitting. It's hard to stand up with a severely broken foot.

Duncan had way more hype than either Beasley or Griffin. He was the Patrick Ewing of his year.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
It's not like he had much choice in sitting. It's hard to stand up with a severely broken foot.

Duncan had way more hype than either Beasley or Griffin. He was the Patrick Ewing of his year.

If I remember correctly, he was cleared basically, to play the last 20-30 games of that season. The Spurs conveniently rested him however. Now, I am sure any team would have done that. But I grew up in Minnesota watching the Spurs kill the young Wolves franchise, and he goes down one season, they get the ultimate prize. Excuse my disliking of the Spurs

JordansBulls
06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
So I wasn't a big college basketball fan when Tim Duncan was coming out of Wake Forest and going into the NBA Draft. I am wondering what people were saying about Duncan when he entered the draft. I know he was the first overall pick so there had to be a lot of talk about him. Did people think he had the potential to be a perennial all-star and first ballot hall of famer when he was coming out? I've seen a lot of hype the past two years about Michael Beasley and Blake Griffin being a possible top pick after dominating the college ranks. That is what got me thinking about Duncan. Was he just the best big man coming out of college like Beasley and Griffin, or did people know at the time just how good Timmy would be.

For the record, I am not comparing Duncan to Griffin or Beasley in terms of their playing style or athletic ability. I am just comparing top players coming out of college and their realistic expectations.

Duncan was a true franchise player coming out. He was basically what you expected him to be. Most predicted he was to be similar to Brad Daugherty who was a stud coming out as well.

dumbbaseballfan
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
he was overhyped coming out of college...he hasn't lived up to the expectations one bit...very, very overrated

whoakid
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
he was real hyped. The celtics were devastated they didn't get the #1 pick that year

juggla53
06-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Duncan was a legit 7footer who was a true bigman where as beasley turned out to be 6'7 instead of the 6'10 he was listed at in college

sep11ie
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
U G L Y, he aint got no alibi he ugly