PF Gasol/Green
C Kareem/Shaq/Wilt

Celtics
PG Cousy/Jo Jo White/Dennis Johnson
SG Havlicek/Ray Allen
SF Bird/Pierce
PF Mchale/Garnett/Cowens/Heinsohn
C Russell/Parish

NOTE: This is as the players were when they played on the Lakers or Celtics team using players at there natural positions. So no having Shaq at PF or any of the great centers.

Which team wins in 7?

whoakid
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
this is a tough one. But I'd pick the lakers in 7 just because of the centers they have. Kareem, shaq, and wilt would dominate (thats not a knock at russell)

abe_froman
06-09-2009, 03:20 PM
"Celtics team using players at there natural positions
SFCowens"

umm...:confused:

Hellcrooner
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol<Mchale

Wilt >Russell

Lakers Bench >Celtics Bench.

tis not even close

By the way some forgotten players that maybe should make the team

Lakers: Cooper, Nixon, Hairston, MIKAN, Mcadoo

Celtics: Maxwell, R Lewis, Macdoo(yes played for both),Walton,Kc Jones, Don nelson

SidTheKid87
06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
No question I think it goes 7 but the Lakers depth is just way too much. They have, in my opinion, the three best centers ever. Hard to beat that team.

Wake's Fastball
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol>Mchale

Wilt >Russell

tis not even close

Celtics: Maxwell, R Lewis, Macdoo(yes played for both),Walton,Kc Jones, Don nelson

Honestly? Okay, maybe you could argue with Wilt and Russell (though Russell consistently won the big games), but McHale is light years better than Gasol. He'd put Pau on his *** once and Gasol would go sit in the locker room for the remainder of the game. Gasol doesn't touch McHale in his prime.

FaceDown91
06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
lol i laughed when i saw gasol at starting PF. Kareem would be the PF and i think Shaq would be the center or Wilt.

Wake's Fastball
06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I really don't have an answer on this one, though it'd basically be a case study towards which era is best... you've got 5 matchups in the starting lineups all from different NBA periods.

FaceDown91
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Honestly? Okay, maybe you could argue with Wilt and Russell (though Russell consistently won the big games), but McHale is light years better than Gasol. He'd put Pau on his *** once and Gasol would go sit in the locker room for the remainder of the game. Gasol doesn't touch McHale in his prime.

Actually Gasol and McHale are very similar players and play a very similar type of game. But of course i would pick McHale>Gasol on that one.

masalex1205
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol>Mchale

Wilt >Russell

tis not even close

Seriously?

abe_froman
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Seriously?

do you not know who he is

i mean really,its expected oh hc to say that..or at least everyone so be expecting it by now

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
The Lakers win in 5. They are too dominant at the PG, SG, and especially the C spot.

thephoenixson28
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Can you put Karl malone at PF and Gary payton at PG even though they only played 1 year

AIsixersFK
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Celtics.....for one reason.......Multiple Multiple Championshiips. Combined....far more than all the Lakers Championships.

mikantsass
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
fyi the Celtics also had Walton, Dominique, Tiny Archibald, Pistol Pete, KC Jones & Chauncy Billups play for them. Gary Payton played on both theams too. And how is Gasol an all time great Laker? I think Malone needs to be in there over Gasol.

Someone didnt do their HW

Hellcrooner
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
1 it was a typo as of today Mchale is better than Gasol.

second Gasol is the best Pf lakers have had playing for them IN HIS PRIME , of course karl malon is a better player but he played for one year only Injured and worn out.

Kareem, Shaq, Mikan, Wilt NONE of them can play Pf they are Centers and thats it.

Because if not lets just make this lineup Magic, Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq yes they are the TOP 5 lakers ever but no they could not be on the same court at the same time.

AIsixersFK
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
A of ppl are going to argue with me I feel like so I'm going to provide stats and data to back it up.

2008: Pierce + Garnett won a ring over Kobe + Gasol 4-2
1986 + 1984: Magic + Kareem won over Bird + McHale 4-2
1983: Bird + McHale over Magic and Kareem 4-3
1958-1970: 10 Championships for Boston 7 over the Lakers.

Total Head to Head: 9-2

Testaverde16
06-09-2009, 04:33 PM
rodman and malone could be on the Lakers at PF

these are two great franchises, but in the end I pick the Lakers. They just seem better.

I am also a Laker fan though, I am the first to admit I may be bias.

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
A of ppl are going to argue with me I feel like so I'm going to provide stats and data to back it up.

The thing is all of a sudden its all time team vs all time team.

2nd to the people that said Karl Malone, the question clearly states when the player played for them so No you dont get your Malones,Rodmans,Paytons,Waltons in there prime.

da wood
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
true that but big smooth played pretty well for the lakers and he should be on that team at the pf what everyone think

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Those were not all-time teams, were they? Those were individual teams with different players. When combining every great Laker and every great Celtic all time then it is very apparent who the better squad is in terms of the best players.

JordansBulls
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
lol i laughed when i saw gasol at starting PF. Kareem would be the PF and i think Shaq would be the center or Wilt.

Kareem is 7'2" there is no way he is a PF. Get real here. Neither Kareem, Shaq nor Wilt are guys who could be PF. Also they wouldn't play PF because the paint is too damn crowded anyway. Each of those guys need the paint to be free to operate.

thephoenixson28
06-09-2009, 04:53 PM
fyi the Celtics also had Walton, Dominique, Tiny Archibald, Pistol Pete, KC Jones & Chauncy Billups play for them. Gary Payton played on both theams too. And how is Gasol an all time great Laker? I think Malone needs to be in there over Gasol.

Someone didnt do their HW For your information it says all-time lakers it doesn't say all time greats so if you want to pick all them players that played on the celtics is fine.

Hellcrooner
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Birds celtics won 1 time and magic lakers won TWO times in their direct match up.

Just revise your facts DuDe

Bruno
06-09-2009, 06:06 PM
When I think of this match up, I think of prime Magic getting the ball to Shaq, and Shaq (2000, 28 year old, prime and HUNGRY) just absolutely punishing the Celtics front line. If the Celtics win, its because Larry Bird just plays out of his head. I'd take the Lakers. At the end of a series, the Lakers are too long, and too strong.

prash
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
No Respect is being shown for Russell.

Dumba$$'s sayin Wilt is greater than Russell cuz he scored more. lol. Wilt could never beat Russell but somehow he's better.

lol. exactly .. head to head record in 9-2. game over. /thread.

juggla53
06-09-2009, 06:24 PM
1 it was a typo as of today Mchale is better than Gasol.

second Gasol is the best Pf lakers have had playing for them IN HIS PRIME , of course karl malon is a better player but he played for one year only Injured and worn out.

Kareem, Shaq, Mikan, Wilt NONE of them can play Pf they are Centers and thats it.

Because if not lets just make this lineup Magic, Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq yes they are the TOP 5 lakers ever but no they could not be on the same court at the same time.

Why couldnt kareem play PF? no **** they all wouldnt be on the court at the same time but you could deffinatley play kareem at the 4 and wilt/shaq at the 5 if they felt like it. You also need to brush up on your history if you think Wilt was better as a laker then kobe.

emant2
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Even though I was born in LA (too many years ago), the Celtics win. Why? First is Russell. De-Fense De-Fense oh did I say De-fense. The second is because you forgot to list a very important all time position COACH! Red would find a way to win. Chck your history people.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Celtics in 7. Where is Dennis Johnson btw? And why the F is Gasol on the Lakers? haha, funny.
Celtics have more rings than the Lakers all time. The gap may be closing, but they are the best basketball franchise in history

as for those saying C, PG, and whatever would be a matchup nightmare, didn't Boston beat the Lakers with Magic, and Jabbar? Um, yes.

This is a thread that could go on forever, it is personal preference, but I have Boston in 7

KmB728
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Those were not all-time teams, were they? Those were individual teams with different players. When combining every great Laker and every great Celtic all time then it is very apparent who the better squad is in terms of the best players.

Actually, its not very apparent, your just a Laker fan.

Yes ill admit im very bias because im a Boston fan, however to say that the Lakers are the clear cut favorite is arrogant in my opinion :pity:

Both teams are filled with a ton of history, itd be a GREAT series if it was possible to play

op12
06-09-2009, 06:43 PM
the lakers Cs would be hard to stop but who else is better to do it than russell, parish, and cowens. mchale and kg would tear up the pf position and bird would win out at sf (even though worthy and baylor are solid). kobe and west would be awesome at sg and magic would be great a the point, but i think cousy would hold his own (maybe not on d).

im going with the Celtics, just because i think they are deeper except for sg and c, but the both could hang.

ps- gotta include tiny in there.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Yes ill admit im very bias because im a Boston fan, however to say that the Lakers are the clear cut favorite is arrogant in my opinion :pity:

Both teams are filled with a ton of history, itd be a GREAT series if it was possible to play

have you not met Armin before? More knowledge than anyone on this board about the Lakers, but not so much on the other 29 teams.

KmB728
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
have you not met Armin before? More knowledge than anyone on this board about the Lakers, but not so much on the other 29 teams.

:laugh: It was nothing personal... it just got me going when i saw him giving the All Time Celtics no respect

saying the All time Lakers are clearly better is just plain stupid

Wilson
06-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol<Mchale

Wilt >Russell

tis not even close

Thankyou for mentioning Mikan! :worthy: In my opinion he's the most under-rated player in basketball history, in his ability and influence.

I would love to include him, however I don't think he was ever better than Kareem, Shaq or Wilt.

Can you put Karl malone at PF and Gary payton at PG even though they only played 1 year

The OP said that the players included are only based on their years with the team. Payton and Malone were both right at the end of their careers when they were with the Lakers.

You'd take Malone over Pau for their careers, but I'd take '08-'09 Pau over '03-'04 Malone.

Someone didnt do their HW

Somebody didn't read the whole post ;)

Anyway, this one is an extremely tough call.

I think with Kareem and Russell at C, the Lakers have an advantage. Russell was a great defender, but I don't know what he would have been able to do against Kareem's sky hook.

I'm going to say the Lakers would win, but obviously it's hard for me to be completely impartial here :p

Spud-n-Celtics
06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
LA Lakers
PG Magic/Goodrich
SG Kobe/West
SF Baylor/Worthy/Wilkes
PF Gasol/Green
C Kareem/Shaq/Wilt

Celtics
PG Cousy/Jo Jo White/Dennis Johnson
SG Havlicek/Ray Allen
SF Bird/Pierce
PF Mchale/Garnett/Cowens/Heinsohn
C Russell/Parish

NOTE: This is as the players were when they played on the Lakers or Celtics team using players at there natural positions. So no having Shaq at PF or any of the great centers.

Which team wins in 7?

Under no circumstance is RAy Allen an "All-Time Celtic". Dumb thread when you look at the players you've listed. In what world is Ray Allen considered an all-time Celtic?

lakersrock
06-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Magic/Nixon/Fisher
Kobe/West
Baylor/Worthy
Kareem/Gasol/Green
Wilt/Shaq/Mikan

vs

Cousy/Johnson/White
Havlicek/Jones
Bird/Pierce
Garnett/McHale/Cowens
Russell/Parish/Walton

The starters are clearly in favor of the Lakers due to Kareem and Wilt being on the floor together. That's absolutely unstoppable. Also, the bench is in favor of LA as well. They have one of the best G of all time and one of the best C of all time as well. They would have a sweet inside/outside game. I just don't see how this would go more than five games. Russell is a winner, but he's never had to try stopping the caliber of Wilt with Kareem and Shaq following right after.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Magic/Nixon/Fisher
Kobe/West
Baylor/Worthy
Kareem/Gasol/Green
Wilt/Shaq/Mikan

vs

Cousy/Johnson/White
Havlicek/Jones
Bird/Pierce
Garnett/McHale/Cowens
Russell/Parish/Walton

The starters are clearly in favor of the Lakers due to Kareem and Wilt being on the floor together. That's absolutely unstoppable. Also, the bench is in favor of LA as well. They have one of the best G of all time and one of the best C of all time as well. They would have a sweet inside/outside game. I just don't see how this would go more than five games. Russell is a winner, but he's never had to try stopping the caliber of Wilt with Kareem and Shaq following right after.

While I am not saying that KG could guard Kareem that well, KG would eat him alive on the other end. Kareem is a center. You only get to pick one.

And again, this thread is basically the overwhelming Laker fans pulling for their team. THere has been plenty of rational here and there, but really, its pure opinion. Nothing more. and Bird would have killed any small forward LA could ever have put on him. He killed Cooper, who was you're best defender

KmB728
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Magic/Nixon/Fisher
Kobe/West
Baylor/Worthy
Kareem/Gasol/Green
Wilt/Shaq/Mikan

vs

Cousy/Johnson/White
Havlicek/Jones
Bird/Pierce
Garnett/McHale/Cowens
Russell/Parish/Walton

Why even discuss, we should just close the thread!

The Lakers are clearly supieror in every aspect of the game :rolleyes:

This thread will never get a clear cut answer, its impossible to determine who would win a game like this.... how do we know how the defensive mathups would work? how do we know what would happen?

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM

It is very apparent. We are talking about 3 of the top 4 players of all time being on the Lakers squad and arguably 7 of the top 15 being on the Lakers squad. The Celtics only have Russel and Bird who can be seen as a top 15 player of all time. The Lakers have the individual players advantage.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
It is very apparent. We are talking about 3 of the top 4 players of all time being on the Lakers squad and arguably 7 of the top 15 being on the Lakers squad. The Celtics only have Russel and Bird who can be seen as a top 15 player of all time. The Lakers have the individual players advantage.

3 of the top 4 of all time are Lakers?? Please, enlighten me.

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Russell
5. Jabbar

don't care to go on really

NBAdyNASTY
06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Lakers in 5 on this. They would crush the Celtics on the boards and points in the paint. Not even close.

NBAdyNASTY
06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

This thread will never get a clear cut answer, its impossible to determine who would win a game like this.... how do we know how the defensive mathups would work? how do we know what would happen?

Of course this is the response of a Celtic's fan that see's the lineup and says, "oh, damn, we would get killed":cool:

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 07:54 PM
3 of the top 4 of all time are Lakers?? Please, enlighten me.

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Bird
4. Russell
5. Jabbar

don't care to go on really

Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Wilt
Bird
Oscar
Hakeem
Russel
Shaq
Duncan
Bryant
West
Malone
Erving
Baylor

JordansBulls
06-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Thankyou for mentioning Mikan! :worthy: In my opinion he's the most under-rated player in basketball history, in his ability and influence.

I didn't include Mikan because he played for Minneapolis Lakers not LA Lakers.:p

JordansBulls
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Wilt
Bird
Oscar
Hakeem
Russel
Shaq
Duncan
Bryant
West
Malone
Erving
Baylor

Not to get off subject, but do you still put Oscar over Kobe at this point if Kobe wins it this year?

Wilson
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I didn't include Mikan because he played for Minneapolis Lakers not LA Lakers.:p

Ah fair enough. I didn't stop to think that you said 'LA Lakers' rather than just 'Lakers' :p

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Not to get off subject, but do you still put Oscar over Kobe at this point if Kobe wins it this year?

Maybe. We will see how I feel.

Redsoxin2009
06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
it would end the same way as every finals that has bill russel and the lakers in it, with coach red auerbach lighting up a victor cigar ;)

FaceDown91
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Kareem is 7'2" there is no way he is a PF. Get real here. Neither Kareem, Shaq nor Wilt are guys who could be PF. Also they wouldn't play PF because the paint is too damn crowded anyway. Each of those guys need the paint to be free to operate.

Barkley was 6'4 or 6'5, He played PF, he was great and dominate.

So Kareem being 7'2 means he can't play PF? Kareem would actually be a much better PF then he was at center not only because of the height but because of how he would get more opportunities for more outside shots. I think Kareem would be just fine.

Of course Shaq nor Wilt could play PF, they were big and power guys, Kareem on the other hand was a finesse type of player. That's also one of the reasons why he's able to play PF.

dbroncos78087
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Is Gasol really the best PF the Lakers have ever had?

lakersrock
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Is Gasol really the best PF the Lakers have ever had?

Offensively? Yes. With all the defense around him, he'd be fine.

FaceDown91
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Offensively? Yes. With all the defense around him, he'd be fine.

Of course if i was listing an all time lakers lineup, i would rather have Kareem at PF and Shaq at Center.

Just saying ;)

still1ballin
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Lakers centers would kill!

lakersrock
06-09-2009, 08:23 PM

Magic would dominate Cousy with his size.
Kobe would dominate any of their wing defenders.
Baylor would make Bird look terrible on defense.
Kareem would obliterate KG with his sky hook.
Wilt wasn't ever stopped, so I doubt Russell would either.

Cousy would be able to penetrate due to Magic not being so good on D.
Kobe would be able to slow down Havlicek.
Bird would make Baylor look terrible on defense.
Kareem would be able to cover KG's jumper with his length.
Wilt would be able to stand and block Russell at the rim.

In terms of team D, I'd rather have two 7+ footers in the lane blocking shots. LA would stick Cousy, Havlicek and Bird like glue to make them go to the lane instead of take jumpers. With that kind of shot blocking in the lane, Boston would be hard pressed to score. On the other end, the Lakers PG is almost as tall as KG which is a huge advantage in the post. Plus, Kareem's hook is unstoppable and Wilt is a scoring machine. That doesn't even go into them having to double either Kareem or Wilt and leave KOBE BRYANT open. It's not even close and unless you refuse to see it, it's pretty obvious.

dbroncos78087
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Go to the whatif website we use for the All-Time redrafts and see what happens!

lakersrock
06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Of course if i was listing an all time lakers lineup, i would rather have Kareem at PF and Shaq at Center.

Just saying ;)

I made it Kareem/Pau and Wilt/Shaq. I don't see why anyone would rather have Pau at PF over Kareem. He's basically a taller version of Pau that was better at rebounding, defense and the hook.

Hotone1401
06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
LMAO! Kareem, Shaq, and Wilt is just a ridiculous reserve of centers to choose from. I'll go with Lakers in this one but I'm sure it would be close. Larry Bird is one of my heroes growing up.

ARMIN12NBA
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

The Lakers won in 5 games.

lakersrock
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM

As the away team, LA won 4-2. I set it as the depth chart I have in the previous page with the starter getting 30 minutes and the backup getting 18. The third string guys got no minutes. As the home team, LA killed them 4-0. Like I said, the series most likely wouldn't go past 5. The biggest difference for either team was Baylor. They don't respect Boston's defense on him apparently, because he lit them up a lot. Also, Kareem and Pau put up huge passing numbers. Kareem had a double-double in almost all 10 games I simmed. Russell did surprisingly well against Wilt.

AllTheWay
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Celtics.....for one reason.......Multiple Multiple Championshiips. Combined....far more than all the Lakers Championships.

17 to 14?

cmellofan15
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
As the away team, LA won 4-2. I set it as the depth chart I have in the previous page with the starter getting 30 minutes and the backup getting 18. The third string guys got no minutes. As the home team, LA killed them 4-0. Like I said, the series most likely wouldn't go past 5. The biggest difference for either team was Baylor. They don't respect Boston's defense on him apparently, because he lit them up a lot. Also, Kareem and Pau put up huge passing numbers. Kareem had a double-double in almost all 10 games I simmed. Russell did surprisingly well against Wilt.

What's the site? Sounds pretty cool...

Hellcrooner
06-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Kareem, Mikan, Chamberlain or Shaq did NEVER play a single minute as PF in their careers, so NO they are nto PF.

and about if Gasol is the best pf ever on the lakers?

Yes and No.

Career wise he is second behind malone

BUT 03.04 Karl malone was faaaaaar away from his prime.

So Gasol IS the best Pf ever to play in the lakers IN HIS PRIME.

Lakers have never cared too much about PF

Pf line of lakers

Gasol

Kwame or Odom

Brian Grant!!!!!

Old Karl Malone

Old Horace grant

Robert horry

Ac Green

kurt Rambis

Mitch Kutchap!!!!!

Thats all the way back i can go , none of them better that gasol at the moment they played in the Lakers.

in ancinet times you have two options Minnie lakers Pollard and La Lakers Hairston that both where good players but not on Paus caliber.

EX-TREME
06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
What's the site? Sounds pretty cool...

Link (http://www.whatifsports.com/nba/default.asp#top)

magichatnumber9
06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
This just goes to show that the Celtics have had better timing then the lakers

nyybronxborn
06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol<Mchale

Wilt >Russell

tis not even close

i do agree with everything but russell is better then wilt just look at the one on one matchups

and there are leave maxwell of the celtics and that a pretty big leave he was a very good player

CELTICS4LYFE
06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
GASOL IS AN ALL TIME LAKER!!!! LMAO!!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

CELTICS4LYFE
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
This just goes to show that the Celtics have had better timing then the lakers

goes ta show celtics have had better teams rather than single players

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
LA Lakers
PG Magic 5/Goodrich 0
SG Kobe 3/West 1
SF Baylor 0/Worthy 0/Wilkes 3
PF Gasol 0/Green 3
C Kareem6/Shaq 3/Wilt2

Celtics
PG Cousy 6/Jo Jo White 2/Dennis Johnson 3
SG Havlicek 8/Ray Allen 1
SF Bird 3/Pierce 1
PF Mchale 3/Garnett 1/Cowens 2/Heinsohn 8
C Russell 11/Parish 3

the numbers after the player is how many rings they won with respective teams. Celtics all time greats mathematically have alot more rings.

i would take the Celtics in 6...

and like JordansBulls has in his sig...
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

end of discusion

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Kareem, Mikan, Chamberlain or Shaq did NEVER play a single minute as PF in their careers, so NO they are nto PF.

and about if Gasol is the best pf ever on the lakers?

:nod:

Carey
06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Lakers in 6, C's have nobody to guard kobe on the perimeter and the 3 headed monster at Center would be too much for the C's bigs.

albertc86
06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Not to be a homer but the Lakers would win this one.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
seriously tho in the history of the team gasol is the best pf??!! i would take the washed up malone over him...

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
seriously tho in the history of the team gasol is the best pf??!! i would take the washed up malone over him...

That's ridiculous.

Would you take a washed up Bird over Pierce as well?

MVPedroia
06-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Celtics in 5

Hellcrooner
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Thats s stupid as saying

I woudl take the Washed up Walton before Robert Parish.

Is walton a bigger legend that Parish? YES

Was the best walton MUCH BETTER than the best Parish? Yes

Did the Walton that played for the celtics play better than Parish ? ****ING NO!!!!

so in terms of Celtics history give me Parish over Walton

just as much as in terms of Lakers you got to take Gasol over worn out Malone.

Want other examples?

How about we include then Dominique Wilkins in Celts team and Richmond in Lakers team.

Both were CRAP when they arrived there.

NBAdyNASTY
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Celtics in 5

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
The lakers would beat the Celtics because of their collection of inside players in terms of having Shaq, Kareem and Wilt. The lakers had 3 of the best centers of all time. Not too mention the 2nd best player of all time in Magic and great perimeter guys in Kobe, J. West, Goodrich and J. Worthy. The Lakers would have too much on the inside for the Celtics to handle., but it would go 6 or 7 games. Bird, Mchale, Parrish, Russell, Havlicek, Cousy, etc were all all great players as well, but they would not have answers for the likes of Shaq, Kareem and Wilt.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
LA Lakers
PG Magic 5/Goodrich 0
SG Kobe 3/West 1
PF Gasol 0/Green 3
C Kareem6/Shaq 3/Wilt2

Celtics
SF Bird 3/Pierce 1
C Russell 11/Parish 3

the numbers after the player is how many rings they won with respective teams. Celtics all time greats mathematically have alot more rings.

- Michael Jordan

end of discusion

So, who is going to stop Kareem or Shaq or Wilt? What about Magic or Kobe on the perimeter? Also, Worthy, West, Baylor, LA would have too many weapons and dominant players to be able to stop.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
While I am not saying that KG could guard Kareem that well, KG would eat him alive on the other end. Kareem is a center. You only get to pick one.

And again, this thread is basically the overwhelming Laker fans pulling for their team. THere has been plenty of rational here and there, but really, its pure opinion. Nothing more. and Bird would have killed any small forward LA could ever have put on him. He killed Cooper, who was you're best defender

:eyebrow: And Shaq, Kareem and Wilt would have killed any center that the Celtics put on them. Russell and Parrish were elite centers, but they aren't stopping Wilt, Kareem and Shaq. Also, who is going to stop Magic or Kobe, or West, I can go on and on.... What about Worthy? The lakers franchise had 3 of the greatest centers of all time, not too mention the fact that the franchise has had 5 of the top 10 to 15 players of all time as well. Shaq is top 5 to 7, Wilt is top 5, Kareem is top 5, Magic is no. 2 all time and Kobe is no. 12 all time and soon to be moving up. Also, Jerry West is a top 15 player as well.

JordansBulls
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Well Wilt won't have many problems with teammates while on the Lakers, however that is where the Lakers players will have problems with chemistry and who gets the ball.
Shaq and Kareem will probably have the biggest beef here.
This is another reason you start Gasol at PF because he fits into the team mold over the other guys.

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-10-2009, 03:27 PM
the game has changed alot over the years like we all know so its tuff to say who could defend who from different eras... there has never been a center before or after that could stop Shaq in his prime.

the 08 Celtics didnt have a single player who is better then Kobe, but yet still they won. thats because of 2 things... Defense and Teamwork wins titles not offense.

and the main reason this disscusion is a waste of time is cuz if the coaching match up is Phil vs Red then its over. Red got the Best out of his players where as Phil who is a good coach conveniently had MJ and Kobe/Shaq win him his rings.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 03:37 PM
the game has changed alot over the years like we all know so its tuff to say who could defend who from different eras... there has never been a center before or after that could stop Shaq in his prime.

the 08 Celtics didnt have a single player who is better then Kobe, but yet still they won. thats because of 2 things... Defense and Teamwork wins titles not offense.

and the main reason this disscusion is a waste of time is cuz if the coaching match up is Phil vs Red then its over. Red got the Best out of his players where as Phil who is a good coach conveniently had MJ and Kobe/Shaq win him his rings.

So, Phil is not a great coach? All of those great players you mentioned had one thing in common prior to Phil Jackson taking over as coach and it was 0 titles, that's right, they didn't win a thing without him. The fact is, Phil's a great coach and you don't win titles without having talent and that goes for any coach.

It's funny you bring up Red bringing the most out his players, but Phil doesn't and you mentioned Phil having the best talent, well let's look at some of the hall of fame talent Red coached shall we. He coached Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Bobby Jones, T. Heinsohn, Cowens and the list can go on....

Wilson
06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
LA Lakers
PG Magic 5/Goodrich 0
SG Kobe 3/West 1
PF Gasol 0/Green 3
C Kareem6/Shaq 3/Wilt2

Celtics
SF Bird 3/Pierce 1
C Russell 11/Parish 3

- Michael Jordan

end of discusion

Worthy was on four Laker championship teams. Also, I could be wrong but I think Wilt was only on one. Kareem was only on five, his first ring came with Milwaukee.

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
So, Phil is not a great coach? All of those great players you mentioned had one thing in common prior to Phil Jackson taking over as coach and it was 0 titles, that's right, they didn't win a thing without him. The fact is, Phil's a great coach and you don't win titles without having talent and that goes for any coach.

It's funny you bring up Red bringing the most out his players, but Phil doesn't and you mentioned Phil having the best talent, well let's look at some of the hall of fame talent Red coached shall we. He coached Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Bobby Jones, T. Heinsohn, Cowens and the list can go on....

i meant to say Phil is a great coach but had MJ by far the best player ever and Kobe by far the best player since MJ retired... please dont mention LBJ in this cuz he hasnt won anything yet. so point is that he has won alot but with the two best players over the last 20 years... and i realize that he got more out of them then before he shows up, but Red outside of Russell didnt coach anyone that is even thought of as a top 10 of all time. those players you mentioned including Russell were only as good as they were thanks in large part to Red not the case with Phil and MJ or Kobe they would have been great regardless.

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Worthy was on four Laker championship teams. Also, I could be wrong but I think Wilt was only on one. Kareem was only on five, his first ring came with Milwaukee.

you are right Worthy won 3 i think and i am pretty sure that Wilt won 2 maybe only 1 tho idk

funny thing is when i put 0 for worthy i felt like i was wrong but hadn't done the HW so i wasnt 100% on him but the rest i thin are correct

edit: and if i remember correctly West won a finals MVP in the year his team didnt even win the title so i recognize he is the man outside of only winning one title

Wilson
06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
you are right Worthy won 3 i think and i am pretty sure that Wilt won 2 maybe only 1 tho idk

funny thing is when i put 0 for worthy i felt like i was wrong but hadn't done the HW so i wasnt 100% on him but the rest i thin are correct

Worthy did win three. I thought he was a rook in Magic's second year, turns out he was drafter later than that.

Wilt won two total, but the first came with Philly.

Lakersfan2483
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
i meant to say Phil is a great coach but had MJ by far the best player ever and Kobe by far the best player since MJ retired... please dont mention LBJ in this cuz he hasnt won anything yet. so point is that he has won alot but with the two best players over the last 20 years... and i realize that he got more out of them then before he shows up, but Red outside of Russell didnt coach anyone that is even thought of as a top 10 of all time. those players you mentioned including Russell were only as good as they were thanks in large part to Red not the case with Phil and MJ or Kobe they would have been great regardless.

All of those guys were the best during that era though, Cousy was considered the top point guard during that time. Havlicek was considered a top small forward next to Baylor and is a top 25 player. You have to put that into perspective, Red coached the best talent the game had to offer during the 60's, hince the Celtics' dominance. Those Celtics' teams were extremely talented and featured some of the greatest players of all time. You don't completely dominate an era without having the top talent the sport has to offer. The Celtics went through a period in which they won like 8 titles within 10 yrs, correct me if I am wrong?

As far as Jackson, of course he's had a lot of talent around him and some of the best, but it speaks volumes that all of those guys didn't win a ring prior to his arrival. He's a great coach and knows how to get the best out of his players., regardless of talent.

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
All of those guys were the best during that era though, Cousy was considered the top point guard during that time. Havlicek was considered a top small forward next to Baylor and is a top 25 player. You have to put that into perspective, Red coached the best talent the game had to offer during the 60's, hince the Celtics' dominance. Those Celtics' teams were extremely talented and featured some of the greatest players of all time. You don't completely dominate an era without having the top talent the sport has to offer. The Celtics went through a period in which they won like 8 titles within 10 yrs, correct me if I am wrong?

As far as Jackson, of course he's had a lot of talent around him and some of the best, but it speaks volumes that all of those guys didn't win a ring prior to his arrival. He's a great coach and knows how to get the best out of his players., regardless of talent.

i mean its def closer there too then maybe i gave credit initially but i still give the edge to Red cuz i am a celts fan lol

i am getting out of work now but great posts back and forth it made this last hour fly by haha

ARMIN12NBA
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Elgin Baylor and Happy Hairston also played PF. Baylor is an all-time great, but because of his size (6 feet 5 inches), he is put at SF.

sp1derm00
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Uh,

I'm pretty sure that the Lakers would win with or without chemistry problems.

Just think about Magic playing with the Laker bigs. Think about what Magic would be able to do feeding Gasol or Malone at PF. Think about the immense amount of pain Magic would cause the Celtics with Kareem, Shaq, and Wilt.

Now, think about having Kobe not have to worry about distributing, or scoring for that matter. Think about Kobe in his Team USA role... sit back and wreak havoc on the defensive end.

Think about the headaches Kobe and Cooper would cause in terms of defense. Remember, with a team like this, Kobe's energy could be focused completely on man defense and ball denial, something else Kobe excels at. Now imagine Cooper there also, someone BETTER than Kobe on the defensive end.

Flip it, and you have 3 of the greatest Centers that have EVER played, against ONE other great Center. Who wears who out first?

Malone and Gasol vs KG and McHale are VERY equal.

Examining the backcourt:

Magic, Kobe, Baylor would absolutely tear it up.

You could argue that Bird, Havlicek, and Cousy would be competitive, but when it comes down to it, they don't compare to the Lakers 3 players... Bird is their only player that even compares with the Lakers' 3.

Then comes the coaching. Sure, Red won 9 championships with the Celtics... Phil won 9... but split amongst 2 teams. Phil might even win his 10th this year... with a completely different Lakers team. I think the Lakers win here too.

_KB24_
06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
This would be AMAZING to actually see. But I think LA just has way too much firepower. MAGIC & KOBE together would be pure murder and the post game would just be unstoppable. Kareem? Shaq? Mikan? Wilt? I'd take anyone. And you guys like WEST, WORTHY, MIKAN, and even possibly SHAQ or WILT!!????? MURDER!

Rattlehead2006
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Too many Lakers fans on this site voting, it's just a homer voting thread.

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 01:24 AM

It's not like the Lakers don't have great players though.

Lakersfan2483
06-11-2009, 03:15 AM

It has nothing to do with being a homer, just simply think about all of the great lakers over the years. The lakers have had most of the best players in the NBA play for them.

Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Kobe
J. West
Worthy
Goodrich
Mikan
Mcadoo
Cooper
E. Baylor
P. Gasol
J. Wilkes
N. Nixon

ARMIN12NBA
06-11-2009, 04:45 AM
It has nothing to do with being a homer, just simply think about all of the great lakers over the years. The lakers have had most of the best players in the NBA play for them.

Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Kobe
J. West
Worthy
Goodrich
Mikan
Mcadoo
Cooper
E. Baylor
P. Gasol
J. Wilkes
N. Nixon

Both the Lakers and Celtics have amazing and historic franchises. Two of the best in all of sports.

valade16
06-11-2009, 08:05 AM
First off, I HATE the Lakers (as a Blazer fan, it's pretty much a expected of you). However I do think the all-time Lakers would beat the all-time Celtics.

The reason being Shaq, Wilt, and Jabbar. Now, when Russell played Wilt he stopped him and is one of if not the greatest center to ever play defense and I believe if anyone could slow down Jabbar or Shaq, it'd be russell, however, while I think he would start off neutralizing the Lakers bigs he is only 1 Center going against 3. If Shaq, Wilt, and Jabbar each got 18 minutes (or so) a game they would wear down Russell tremendously, slowing him down for the final, pivotal games.

Now I think that Birds sheer will to win would keep the games close, and the Celtics do boast some incredible defenders. But Magic and Kobe simply have to pass it into the Lakers bigs and wear down Russell.

I think the series might start off like 2-1 Celtics, then the Lakers would wear them down and win it in 7...

emant2
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM
If it is a game 7 for the championship and Bill Russell is involved, then it has to go to the Celtics. In final winner-take-all games Bill was 22 - 0, olympics, college and pros. He would not lose a game 7 to anyone on this planet.

Tom81
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
lakers

JordansBulls
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM

The Lakers probably have more overall talent as well. It would probably be a lot closer if only the fans of other teams voted here. Many people dislike both teams, so I highly doubt anyone would be biased, but also both teams have great players that most people like as well.

J_M_B
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Magic>Cousy

West> Havlickec

Baylor<Bird

Gasol<Mchale

Wilt >Russell

tis not even close

Pau over Mchale? Seriously? I don't think so

J_M_B
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
I take Lakers in 7 games

Hellcrooner
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Pau over Mchale? Seriously? I don't think so

uh??

how about you learn to read?

Trouble87
06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Lakers hands down... that team would be dominant

F()()TBALL
06-17-2009, 05:14 PM
How the ***** did gasol make the all-time team?!?!

fresh prince
06-17-2009, 05:21 PM

Most of those titles were won when there were 8 teams in the NBA!!

No offense but the Celtics championships in the 60's don't mean much to me.. Great accomplishment yes but hardly indicative of a full scale competitive leauge

The Lakers would win this hypothetical Star Trek like match up easily.. Any other response can not be taken seriously..

You have 5 or 6 of the top 10 -12 players of all time on one team!

Magic
Kareem
Wilt
Shaq
Kobe
West

And the best team player (Magic) ever to make it all work. Close poll please