PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of the Jameer Nelson situation?

mrblisterdundee
06-09-2009, 02:17 AM
The Magic had a good run to the finals with Raefer Alston running the point. Bringing back Jameer Nelson seemed to mess up the natural order. It seems the Magic need to make a definitive decision. Should Raefer be the primary point guard during the rest of the finals? Should Jameer take back his traditional role? I think that Jameer should stick with the second unit for the rest of the finals, unless he is able to play like he did before surgery.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-09-2009, 08:39 AM
skip should start he got them to the finals not nelson...he's coming off an injury not 100%

Mc Uncle Cola
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
if u ask me this situations is messin the magic's flow up...
keep rafer there he carried them past the world champs and the lebrons

koreancabbage
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
they could have won it if Alston could hit those 3's but he needs room and time to get into the flow- he's that type of player. WHy MESS WITH SOMETHING IF IT STILL WORKS. Nelson- come back next year.

look what happened to them in the 2nd game. they played with NO PG in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter and for a bit of the overtime. by the time Alston got back in the game, Gasol and Kobe finished the game. If it wasn't for Nelson (him being not in game shape and plus taking away the ball from Alston) i believe there was a pretty good chance it'll be 1-1 going to Orlando.

king4day
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Alston should star with Nelson coming off the bench, however, Alston can be stopped by LA Nelson is more likely to blow up on them. They probably should have just went with what got them there (Alston), but it's too late now.

jaidawg66
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't mean any harm but Rafer can sit on the bench. Granted, he has played well and helped lead the Magic to the Finals but you have to play your best players man. It is very evident that Jameer Nelson is the better point guard and I feel can give the Magic the best chance at winning. Jameer can hit shots. Simple as put. Rafer misses way too many open jump shots. If you have noticed, the Lakers are letting him shoot because he is not a factor. Jameer can beat you in so many ways. I betcha the Lakers will not leave Nelson wide open. It also gives the Magic another option. Hell, Jameer has played well when in the game. He needs more minutes. It is so obvious that Rafer is not a factor. Jameer should get his role back and what a better time than doing it at home to prepare him for when they go back to Los Angeles.

ertanozgur
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
as we see last game , orlando can play good only if hedo makes the play...so if you give the ball to nelson most of the game , that would be something that orlando isnt used to

ManRam
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Rafer Alston is horrendous. Jameer isn't healthy. I'd rather have the no-PG lineup most of the time and have Hedo handle the ball than have either of them running the point, but if I had to chose, a 70% Jameer is better than Rafer. We didn't get here because of Rafer. He was just there being average. He's so bad. It's not even funny. In the third quarter, after he missed three straight wide open threes, including an air ball that missed the hoop by 4 feet, I was ready to see him benched for the rest of the series. He was benched for pretty much the rest of the game...thank God.

marlinsfan24
06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Rafer can't hit any shots, that's why I see Nelson as a better option

ManRam
06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Rafer can't hit any shots, that's why I see Nelson as a better option

People forget, Nelson was a 50% shooter this year...and had the second highest three point % in the league this season. He's being hesitant these first two games, but I'd rather have a hesitant 51% shooter than a trigger happy 36% shooter. Nelson shoots 45% from three, that's a lot higher than Rafer shoots just from the field.

Plus, Nelson attacks the hoop a lot more, and create plays by doing that. Even though he didn't score in game 1, he had three assists in like a two minutes span.

Sly Guy
06-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Every time I see a player rushing back from injury to play in the playoffs, I always see trouble. It takes time to get back into playing shape and rhythm, to gel again with your teammates. In the time you're putting to get the rhythm back you're putting the team at risk for losses. Losses you can't afford in a playoff series. I fully believe that Jameer is the better PG for this team. I believe that next season, he'll be the starter for the team again. But for right now, better or worse, Jameer shouldn't even be playing and save the coaching staff and players the unnecessary stress of having to adjust to a new major player in the lineup when they should be only focusing on the Lakers. I understand it's every athlete's competitive desire to be play, and contribute to a team's success. But in this case, I think he's better served by not playing.

Can anyone provide me with a concrete example of a late season addition to a team that put them over the top in the playoffs? And even if you can, how many times has it been tried vs. how many times it's succeeded? Winning is a function of talent, work ethic, chemistry, and health. Jameer coming back leaves half of those things questionable.

macc
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Every time I see a player rushing back from injury to play in the playoffs, I always see trouble. It takes time to get back into playing shape and rhythm, to gel again with your teammates. In the time you're putting to get the rhythm back you're putting the team at risk for losses. Losses you can't afford in a playoff series. I fully believe that Jameer is the better PG for this team. I believe that next season, he'll be the starter for the team again. But for right now, better or worse, Jameer shouldn't even be playing and save the coaching staff and players the unnecessary stress of having to adjust to a new major player in the lineup when they should be only focusing on the Lakers. I understand it's every athlete's competitive desire to be play, and contribute to a team's success. But in this case, I think he's better served by not playing.

Can anyone provide me with a concrete example of a late season addition to a team that put them over the top in the playoffs? And even if you can, how many times has it been tried vs. how many times it's succeeded? Winning is a function of talent, work ethic, chemistry, and health. Jameer coming back leaves half of those things questionable.

Ya you're pretty much spot on here I think. I love Nelson but he's not 100%. All the shots hes passing up is hurting us. We need somone in there who's confident about their shot right now. Even AJ was taking his open jumpers and making most of them. Alston is definately a streaky shooter, all Magic fans know this and when he misses 3 straight, there are also games he's making 3 straight and is our only offense during spans of the game.

I say stick with what got us here. Stan is now trying to rediscover a good rotation pattern in the finals.

In any case it's a tough call, I think Nelson has been playing pretty good considering. Maybe I'm just saying that because they lost the first two games. Stand by for game 3. I think reguardless Nelson is gonna play so hopfully he can make the best of it.

On a side note I like our no pg look as well but for only short amounts of time. It has worked out well for us but it really slows down our offense and I think LA is better in the half court set then we are. On the flip side it gives us an extra defender and big body and gives LA some more matchup problems. Stan usually goes to it late in the 4th. We'll see what he does tonight

albertc86
06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
The Magic definitely have a conundrum on their hands; however, Jameer should be given more playing time. Alston served his role but Jameer at whatever he is right now is still better than Alston. At the end of the day, he's the "all-star" PG on that team.

dodie53
06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
imo,
Nelson is not 100%,
Rafer should get more PT

avsman05
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
why don't they throw Jameer in the SG spot along side Alston?