PDA

View Full Version : ACB: Rubio to Barcelona for two seasons (post 39)

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Ricky Rubio is suing Badalona
Source: The Hoop Blog (http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/ricky-rubio-is-suing-badalona.html)

The rising star of spanish basketball, Ricky Rubio is suing the club of Badalona asking for the buy-out clause of his contract to be reduced according to tubasket.com. The lawyer of Rubio visited the administration of the club back in April asking to reduce the buy-out clause of Rubio's contract. The amount is estimated to be 6 million euros and the case that the player is making is that his initial salary when he first signed the contract was 70,000 euros. The 2 amounts are significantly disproportional.

Currently Rubio is to make 125,000 euros in the next season but the extremely high buy-out clause might cause a problem to the player's wish to move to the NBA after the Draft selection on the 25th of this June. Now the player and the club are locked into a legal battle and the outcome could go either way.

lakers4sho
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
more from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4241929

Spanish teenager Ricky Rubio, projected as a top-five pick in the NBA draft, took the first step in clearing his way toward the NBA on Monday when he notified his team, DKV Joventut, that he wants to terminate his contract.

Rubio is asking out of his deal, and also is challenging a 4.75 million Euro (approximately $6.6 million) buyout, which climbs to 5.75 million Euros after June 30. Rubio made 70,000 Euros last season (about $97,000) and is scheduled to make 125,000 Euros next season (about $175,000).

"The [buyout] clauses are disproportionate to his salary -- abusive clauses," Rubio's father, Esteban, told ESPN's Chad Nielsen. "We want to know, if he really left, whether or not he'd have to pay these amounts. It's fair for DKV Joventut to get paid a certain amount of money, but what they want to collect is out of proportion with what Ricky earns."

Rubio hasn't filed a lawsuit. Instead, he has asked for arbitration to settle the dispute. A source said that Rubio has retained a highly regarded labor law firm in Barcelona to represent him. If the dispute cannot be settled, a civil legal action would be next for Rubio.

"We tried to renegotiate but couldn't reach an agreement," Esteban Rubio told Nielsen. "The contract wasn't changed at all."

Jordy Villacampa, president of the club, isn't happy with Rubio's move.

"Now it looks like we put a gun to his head to sign the contract," he said, according to the Spanish news agency EFE. "He was young, but he didn't come [to the table] all by himself and defenseless to see what we were going to do with him. We gave him the opportunity to develop as a player in the ACB, to grow as a player, to become an Olympian with the National Team -- he has accomplished these feats via the Joventut. That's what it is, that's what is signed and we will defend it."

The source told ESPN.com that Spanish law allows an athlete to terminate his contract with a team and then pay an indemnity (or buyout) to his team. Both Spanish law and FIBA regulations allow for Rubio to get his letter of clearance to play in the NBA before the amount of the indemnity amount is determined.

If an arbitrator agrees with Rubio and lowers the buyout, Rubio would likely be headed to the NBA next season. If the arbitrator rules that Rubio's indemnity payment to the Joventut is reasonable, it may convince Rubio to stay in Spain another year.

Villacampa said he was willing to lower Rubio's buyout by 50 percent for 2010 if he stayed, but legal action may complicate things.

"I don't know if ethically it will look good that a player who has sued us can keep playing with Joventut; it's really strange," he said.

In the meantime, Rubio plans to arrive with his family in the United States on June 13. Rubio has yet to schedule visits with any team, according to the source.

Rubio has already informed teams that he won't do workouts, but he might visit them to meet the front office and owners. The source said if visits happen, they will be to Los Angeles, Oklahoma City and Sacramento -- owners of the first, third and fourth picks in the draft.

The source said it's likely that Rubio and his camp will skip visits to Memphis. The Grizzlies hold the No. 2 pick, but the source said Rubio is leery about playing in Memphis after two other Spanish players -- Pau Gasol and Juan Carlos Navarro -- had bad experiences there.

jimbobjarree
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
is it because they are so BAD-alona (http://instantrimshot.com/)?

pun intended

..I'm here all week

JWalk126
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
..I'm here all week

in that case, you should post more often

jimbobjarree
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
put up some more sexy team GB threads then

cormacraig
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
How much did Luis Scola pay TAU for his buyout?

lakers4sho
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
How much did Luis Scola pay TAU for his buyout?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Scola#TAU_Cer.C3.A1mica

In the summer of 2005, the San Antonio Spurs of the NBA (who drafted Scola in 2002) attempted to negotiate with TAU to buy out his contract. After initially throwing around numbers as large as $1.5 million, TAU eventually settled on a still higher number of over 3 million dollars for the contract. This made it difficult for Scola to join fellow Argentina national team member Manu Ginóbili in San Antonio because of the NBA's rule which limits teams to paying no more than $500,000 of a player's buyout.[1] Scola would have been responsible for paying TAU the remaining $2.5 million. When the deal to buy out Scola's contract fell through, the Spurs instead signed an Argentine national team teammate and friend of Scola's Fabricio Oberto.

JWalk126
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
would have been cool if the Spurs had 3 Argentinians on their team, but it might have pissed off their fans...

lakers4sho
06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Why?? I wouldn't care, as long as my team is winning ;)

JWalk126
06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I always thought you were a Lakers fan....

when I said "their" fans, I meant Spurs fans

lakers4sho
06-11-2009, 12:58 AM
I always thought you were a Lakers fan....

when I said "their" fans, I meant Spurs fans

No I meant IF I were a Spurs fan I wouldn't care, as long as my team is winning :p

JWalk126
06-11-2009, 01:48 AM
oh, my bad :p

lakers4sho
06-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyways, whatever they're trying to make him pay is just plain outrageous...compounded with the fact that he's not even earning that much.

cormacraig
06-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Anyways, whatever they're trying to make him pay is just plain outrageous...compounded with the fact that he's not even earning that much.

Why not? Rudy Fernandez bought out his Joventut contract.

JWalk126
06-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Source: Basketball Followers (http://www.basketballfollowers.com/index.php?categoryid=1&p2_articleid=99&)

The seven-foot-three center Hamed Haddadi who joined Memphis Grizzlies in August 2008, is currently on holiday in Tehran. He will go back to the U.S. on June 20 and after 10 matches in the NBA Summer League he will join the Iranian national team and accompany them in the FIBA Asian Championship.

“I’ve won most of the Asian trophies and my dreams go beyond the continent. At the moment my target is world honors and I have to concentrate to achieve more success,” Haddadi said.

Paying tribute to Huston Rockets’ Chinese player Yao Ming, he said, “I respect Yao Ming. He has played in NBA for nine years. I will keep working hard to be the best Asian NBA player. I want to be an Asian symbol like him.”

“I received many offers from other teams such as European basketball champion Barcelona. But they (Memphis) requested to extend my contracts until 2013 and I am thinking about that,” Haddadi stated.

Defending champions Iran will participate in the FIBA Asian Championship which will be held in Tianjin, China in August. Haddadi said, “Iran is the Asian champion but we have to accept that China is the most powerful Asian team. We can beat them without Yao Ming in the tournament.”

lakers4sho
06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Why not? Rudy Fernandez bought out his Joventut contract.

How much did he have to pay and how much money was he making with Joventut?

JWalk126
06-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Point guard Ricky Rubio is staying in the NBA Draft, and is expected to be taken somewhere between No. 2 and No. 4.
rotoworld.com

sounds promising, no?

lakers4sho
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
:cry:

I wish the Clippers would take him, so I can see him play in a regular basis.

JWalk126
06-17-2009, 10:40 PM
looks like he'll end u with the Kings though

Sacramento is closer than Oklahoma City or Memphis

lakers4sho
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
yeah, I'll get to watch him 4x a year instead of two :rolleyes:

Anyways, hopefully Ricky can find a future wherever he goes. He won't find one with the Clippers, that's for sure. All their lottery picks turn bust, instead of maybe Eric Gordon.

JWalk126
06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Messina takes over as Real Madrid head coach
Source: Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2009-10-signings/i/54578/3694/real-madrid-messina-takes-over-as-head-coach)

Two of the most successful names in basketball history have joined forces with the official word on Thursday that legendary head coach Ettore Messina will take over the bench at Real Madrid, the winningest team in European club competition history. Messina, 49, has signed a three-year deal with Real Madrid. Messina replaces Joan Plaza, who coached Real Madrid in each of the last three seasons, leading the team to both the Spanish League and the ULEB Cup titles in 2007. Messina arrives from CSKA Moscow, where he cemented his status as one of the all-time great coaches over the past four years, winning the Euroleague twice and finishing second two other times. All told, Messina has four Euroleague titles, split between CSKA and Kinder Bologna, tying him for second with three other head coaches for the most in European history. Just as remarkable, Messina has reached Euroleague finals in seven of the last 11 seasons with three different clubs - and has never been stopped in the semifinals. Messina, a two-time Aleksander Gomelskiy Euroleague Coach of the Year Trophy winner, also led CSKA to four Russian League titles and lifted the Russian Cup trophy twice to round a near-perfect stay in Moscow. Messina had previously won his two other Euroleague titles with Kinder Bologna in 1998 and 2001, as well as reaching title games three other times - with Kinder in 1999 and 2002, and with Benetton Treviso in 2003. Messina has also won four Italian League and seven Italian Cup titles during his career, lifted the 1990 Saporta Cup with Virtus and won a silver medal at EuroBasket 1997 with the Italian national team. Real Madrid has the most Euroleague titles in history, eight, but has taken only one such trophy since 1980, during which time CSKA has reached six, Maccabi Tel Aviv and Panathinaikos five each, tied with Pallacanestro Varese.

"I lack the words to express my pride and happiness," Messina said when presented on Friday at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium by club president Florentino Perez. "I want to say thanks for the confidence and hope that the club has in the basketball team and I hope that, with the work of everyone, we can give back everything that the fans want to receive. I don't want to promise anything, but we are going to make all the effort possible to do well."

"I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s watching Real Madrid playing finals," Messina added. "I hope that in the end they can say that I have been a coach and a person in the Real Madrid standard."

JWalk126
06-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Source: Eurobasket (http://www.eurobasket.com/Euroleague/basketball.asp?NewsID=162551).com

There was so many speculations about Ettore Messina's next step. Of course, the one which was the most important is that Ettore Messina is close to take over the Spanish giant Real Madrid. Yesterday it is officially confirmed that ex CSKA's coach signed 3-year contract and he will be presented to the media and public on Friday at Bernabeu Stadium.
Ettore Messina is coming to Madrid after 4 years with Russian powerhouse. In this period CSKA won 4 championship titles in Russia and 2 National Cups. Each year Messina was named 'Eurobasket.com All-Russian A Superleague Coach of the Year'. In Euroleague CSKA grabbed the trophy in 2006 and 2008. This year Panathinaikos stole it from them in thriller. Before CSKA, Messina spent 3 years as a head coach of Benetton Treviso. His first HC job was with Bologna, where he used to work many years. He was 3 times Italian Serie A champion and won 5 National Cups. With Kinder he was Euroleague champion in 1998 and 2001.
It is not a secret that Ettore Messina already expressed his wish to sign Serbian power forward Novica Velickovic (205-F-86) and Slovenian big guy Radoslav Nesterovic (212-C-76). We will have to wait few more days to see will these transfers complete or they will end just as rumors.

cormacraig
06-21-2009, 07:34 AM
How much did he have to pay and how much money was he making with Joventut?

Officially, his contract buy out was $6 million. What he actually paid? I don't for sure, most likely at least 1/3 of the original sum.

JWalk126
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30618/arti.html)

MADRID (ACB) – Italy’s Ettore Messina has signed a three-year contract to coach Real Madrid.

Messina, who ended a successful four-year stint at the helm of CSKA Moscow after leading the club to the Russian Superleague title, will was unveiled as Madrid’s new coach in the Spanish capital on Friday.

Real Madrid said in a statement: “Real Madrid has reached an agreement with Ettore Messina so that the Italian manager becomes the coach of the basketball team for the next three seasons.

“Madrid have reached an agreement with the current coach, Joan Plaza, to part company by mutual consent. Real Madrid wishes to thank him for the work done in recent years at the club.”

Plaza was the ACB’s Coach of the Year a few seasons ago after leading the club to ULEB Cup glory and the Spanish title.

Messina, 49, won two Euroleague titles while guiding CSKA to four straight Four Final Four appearances.

The former Virtus Bologna and Benetton Treviso coach also won four Russian league titles and two Russian Cups with CSKA.

lakers4sho
06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee reported Sunday morning that Ricky Rubio, a projected high pick in Thursday's NBA draft, is on the precipice of finalizing a buy-out agreement with his Spanish club, DKV Joventut. No word on how much of the $6.6 million owed to Joventut will be cut from the deal, but Amick said the resulting amount will be something feasible for Rubio, who should be a top five pick.

Further news on the Rubio beat: he met with Thunder officials in L.A. this weekend, and he will reportedly re-visit Sacramento today, where he is expected to engage in a work-out.

At last word, Sacramento had gotten cold feet. DraftExpress' Jonathan Givony nails the sentiment in today's round-up: Kings management fears Rubio will need some time to transition to NBA basketball, and management doesn't have much time for the team to show massive improvement. This is irrelevant if the Thunder really like Ricky, though. (OKC picks No. 3, Sacramento No. 4.)

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/22/rubio-reportedly-reaches-contract-buy-out-with-spanish-club/

JWalk126
06-26-2009, 02:46 AM
Lior Eliyahu inks multi-year deal with Tau Ceramica
Source: Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net/euroleaguenews/transactions/2009-10-signings/i/54686/3694/tau-ceramica-eliyahu-inks-multi-year-deal)

One of the best forwards in the competition switched Euroleague powerhouses when Tau Ceramica announced the arrival of Lior Eliyahu, who signed a deal through the end of the 2011-12 season with an option for a fourth year. Eliyahu (205, 22) arrives from Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv, where he averaged 14 points and 6.6 rebounds in 14 Euroleague games last season. In three seasons with Maccabi, Eliyahu helped the Israeli juggernaut reach the 2008 Euroleague title game and win the 2007 and 2009 Israeli League titles. He was chosen as the 2008-09 Euroleague December MVP, posting one-month averages of 20.3 points, 12.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in three straight Maccabi wins. Eliyahu has also played for Hapoel Galil Elyon and Maccabi Ironi Ramat Gan in his native Israel. He is a regular member of the Israeli national team and averaged 10.8 points in six EuroBasket 2007 games. Eliyahu is expected to represent Israel at the upcoming EuroBasket championship this summer in Poland.

lakers4sho
06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
What's gonna happen to Rubio now? Still staying in Spain??

JWalk126
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
It's likely he'll play in the D-League or a European team for a season or 2 before playing in Minnesota assuming they don't trade him

cormacraig
06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
It's likely he'll play in the D-League or a European team for a season or 2 before playing in Minnesota assuming they don't trade him

No chance Rubio gonna waste his time in the D-League. No chance.
I believe that if the Wolves won't trade him, eventually he will play for them after all. It's not like in two more years the weather over there will get any better...

JWalk126
06-28-2009, 09:47 PM
No chance Rubio gonna waste his time in the D-League. No chance.

Then he'll be in Europe, but not necessarily in Spain

lakers4sho
06-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Worst case scenario, if he returns to Spain, he's just going to play the last 2 years of his contract (to avoid any buyout negotiations with Joventut), then he's coming back here to play in the NBA.

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 04:02 AM
unless Real Madrid pays for his buyout, and gets him to play for them

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Llull and Van den Spiegel extend their contracts With Real Madrid
Source: RealMadrid.com (http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/en/1193040487695/1202774827018/noticia/ComunicadoOficial/OFFICIAL_ANNOUNCEMENT_2009-06-28.htm)

Real Madrid has used its option to extend Sergio Llull's contract for two more seasons; the point guard will stay on the team until the end of the 2010/11 campaign. The Club has also signed a new contract with Tomas van den Spiegel to keep him on the team for another season, with a unilateral option to extend it for one more.

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:08 PM
according to ONE Sports (Israel), Real Madrid is in talks with ex-Raptor Jorge Garbojosa

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Real Madrid lands Novica Velickovic
Source: Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/54679/180/real-madrid-lands-novica-velickovic)

The most recent Rising Star Trophy winner switched Euroleague addresses on Tuesday when Real Madrid announced an agreement with power forward Novica Velickovic until the end of the 2010-11 season, with a team option for an additional season. Velickovic (205, 22) arrives from Partizan Belgrade, where he averaged 11.5 points and 5.1 rebounds in 19 Euroleague games last season. He ranked 10th among all Euroleague players in rebounding average for the season and 15th in scoring. He was voted winner of the 2008-09 Rising Star Trophy by Euroleague head coaches. In the pivotal Top 16 round last season, Velickovic proved his leadership qualities by boosting his numbers to 16 points, 7.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.7 steals and 1.3 blocks. For leading Partizan to its second consecutive Quarterfinal Playoffs appearance, he was named the Euroleague's February MVP. Born in Belgrade and coming up in the Partizan youth system, Velickovic had played in the club's first squad since late 2004. Velickovic has helped Partizan win two Serbia and Montenegro League titles, in 2005 and 2006, as well as to lift three consecutive Adriatic League and Serbian League trophies from 2007 to 2009. Velickovic also won back-to-back Serbian Radivoj Korac Cup titles in 2008 and 2009, earning final eight MVP honors in the tournament this season. Velickovic is also a regular member of the Serbian national team and helped his under-20 national team to win the 2006 European Championships.
Real Madrid tabs Darjus Lavrinovic
Source: Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/54789/180/real-madrid-tabs-darjus-lavrinovic)

Real Madrid has signed former All-Euroleague selection Darjus Lavrinovic, bringing the center back to Europe's signature competition for the first time in three seasons. The contract is for one season with a team option for a second year. Lavrinovic (212, 29) arrives from Dynamo Moscow, where he averaged 8.2 points, 4.2 rebounds and one block in 13 Eurocup games last season, helping the club reach the Russian Cup final and the Eurocup Final Eight. Lavrinovic is the twin brother of Montepaschi Siena big man Ksistof Lavrinovic, an All-Euroleague second team selection in 2008. Darjus Lavrinovic has also played for Unics Kazan in Russia as well as for Zalgiris and Alytus Alita in his native Lithuania. Lavrinovic won back-to-back Lithuanian League titles with Zalgiris in 2004 and 2005 and also lifted the Baltic League trophy in 2005. He was an All-Euroleague second team selection in 2006 when he averaged 14.7 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in 20 games for Zalgiris. Among his other career highlights are reaching the 2007 ULEB Cup semifinals and the 2008 ULEB Cup Final Eight with Unics. Lavrinovic is a regular member of the Lithuanian national team and won the bronze medal at EuroBasket 2007. He also holds a Euroleague Top 16 single-game record with 7 blocks, set with Zalgiris against Panathinaikos on March 17, 2005.

Sports Illustrator
07-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Tau Ceramica agreed to terms of a contract with small forward Walter Herrmann, who inked a two-year deal with the Euroleague powerhouse on Friday. Herrmann (206, 30) arrives from the Detroit Pistons, where he averaged 3.9 points and 1.8 rebounds in 60 NBA games last season. He has previously played three Euroleague seasons with Unicaja, averaging 7.3 points and 1.6 rebounds in 15 games in the 2005-06 season. Herrmann has also played for the Charlotte Bobcats in the NBA, Fuenlabrada in Madrid, as well as for Atenas Cordoba and Olimpia Venado Tuerto in his native Argentina. He helped Unicaja to win a Spanish League title in 2006 and also lifted the Spanish King's Cup trophy in 2005. Herrmann is a regular member of the Argentinian national team. He helped Argentina to win the gold medal at the 2004 Olympic games in Athens, Greece, playing a crucial role in the semifinals against the United States. Herrmann also led Atenas to win the 2002 Argentinian League title, earning finals MVP honors.

From euroleague.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/55230/180/tau-ceramica-signs-walter-herrmann)

For some reason he didn't have much success in the NBA with his playing time. With that said, I know Micheal Jordan always liked him as a player and also liked his character. He would say that Walter Hermann is a hard working player that he likes. I wish Walter the best of luck.

Kakaroach
07-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I thought he would have stayed in the NBA and helped out some teams with their bench. He was a pretty good bench player in the games I saw him in with Detroit.

Sports Illustrator
07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought he would have stayed in the NBA and helped out some teams with their bench. He was a pretty good bench player in the games I saw him in with Detroit.

He didn't get too many opportunities to play, except for his first season in the NBA.

I think he would have created more opportunities for himself and be able to prove himself further more if he had signed with an NBA team who may have been interested in signing him to at least a one year deal.

JWalk126
08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Rubio to stay in Spain for two more seasons
Source: Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgQqctBpPqgJ56Gjea4TONi8vLYF?slug=aw-rubiobarcelona&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

The Minnesota Timberwolves and the NBA will have to wait until 2011 for Ricky Rubio(notes) to leave Europe, a high-level source told Yahoo Sports on Monday night.

Regal of Barcelona has agreed to a six-year contract with Rubio after working out a buyout package with DKV Jovenut of Spain on Monday.

After weeks of haggling, Minnesota Timberwolves GM David Kahn was unable to facilitate a buyout that would’ve brought the fifth pick in the 2009 draft to the NBA this season.