PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Kobe barely has to break a sweat when he has players like this dude on the floor. Capable of producing double-doubles and opening up the floor. Last night he made enough key baskets and defensive stops to swing the momentum in LA's favour. If only LeBron had an Odom or Gasol-type caliber player on his side :whistle:

Underrated?

mfb_lt1birdman
06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
No doubt Lamar is displaying his A game for a national audience. Those who have watched the Lakers and Lamar over the last several seasons know this is what he is capable of. Problem is with great regularity he will follow a game like this with 3 or 4 games of passive play with maybe a few points and a few rebounds.

So no he is not underrated. He is what he is- a mismatch on the floor capable of playing all 5 positions with all sorts of abilities. He is just consistantly inconsistant which is why he has never been a all-star caliber player.

Kabowdos
06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
^^^ said it well. Nothing more could be said about Odom.

And you are obviously a LeBron fan and this thread is shot at Kobe.

Kobe is the best player in the world. Lakers are 2-0 in the Finals. LeBron is sitting at home watching and wishing.

LeBron has enough help. Z, Mo, Wally, DeLonte, Boobie, Anderson, Joe Smith
They didn't win 66 games just because of LeBron.

Lakers are just better coached and have a better leader therefore a better team. It is not LeBrons time.

MCV1313
06-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Kobe is the best player in the world. Lakers are 2-0 in the Finals. LeBron is sitting at home watching and wishing.

Lakers are just better coached and have a better leader therefore a better team. It is not LeBrons time.

agreed. perfectly stated. :)

94forlife
06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
god i wish he could do this every night he is so good when he is on. lets take up a collection and buy him more candy

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
No doubt Lamar is displaying his A game for a national audience. Those who have watched the Lakers and Lamar over the last several seasons know this is what he is capable of. Problem is with great regularity he will follow a game like this with 3 or 4 games of passive play with maybe a few points and a few rebounds.

So no he is not underrated. He is what he is- a mismatch on the floor capable of playing all 5 positions with all sorts of abilities. He is just consistantly inconsistant which is why he has never been a all-star caliber player.This is true. He has been having consistancy problems but he is still a potential threat on the floor which can be a burden to any defence.

Lakers are just better coached and have a better leader therefore a better team. It is not LeBrons time.This was not by any means a knock on Kobe. I was merely pointing out all the help he has because he himself cant do it all by himself either. Can you honestly say that Kobe has worked harder than LeBron in the post-season? Kobe is good no doubt, but calling him "the best player in the world" is arguable. But back to the topic at hand... LA has been doing so well because players like Lamar Odom have stepped up HUGE. And im pretty sure the only thing LeBron is watching and wishing for are players like Odom or Gasol on his team.

recap5
06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
odom is playing for a contract. just sayin....

Statik1
06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
He's ballin right now and if some teams throws crazy money at him he will leave and do to that team what he did to the lakers the seasons he has been with them, he will continue to play up and down unless he goes to a pure run n gun team then he will have numbers but who wouldn't :eyebrow:

lakersrock
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't know why Cleveland doesn't go after Odom hard. It screws LA and gives them a great PF.

Akagaminosteven
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I absolutely hate it when analysts use the term "X-Factor", but Odom definitely legitimizes its use in terms of how his play factors into a game.

bahama0811
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
He's been playing great as of late but I don't think he's overrated.

madiaz3
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
When Lamar Odom doesn't play well you rarely say that he cost them the game, but when he's doing well he's one of the major reasons for a win. I don't think he really has off nights, just nights where he forgets how good he is.

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I absolutely hate it when analysts use the term "X-Factor", but Odom definitely legitimizes its use in terms of how his play factors into a game.

When Lamar Odom doesn't play well you rarely say that he cost them the game, but when he's doing well he's one of the major reasons for a win. I don't think he really has off nights, just nights where he forgets how good he is.I agree with both of these points. He's been very streaky as of late, and his length plays a huge factor on D and LA's overall ability to crash the boards. I think its safe to say that he is one of the main reasons LA has been successful in the finals.

Super.
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Weren't Lakers fans complaining about Odom and saying he couldn't do anything at the beginning of the year? :laugh:

But i digress, he has been playing awesome right now, and has definitely been the "X-Factor" for the Lakers.

Some team is going to throw a lot of money at this guy

MPScribbles
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Odom is pretty beast and I hope that Chicago takes a good look at him. We need a post player but I think that he could really fit in well with what we have. He also has a pretty underrated post game. Shots around the basket look very easy for him.

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Kobe barely has to break a sweat when he has players like this dude on the floor. Capable of producing double-doubles and opening up the floor. Last night he made enough key baskets and defensive stops to swing the momentum in LA's favour. If only LeBron had an Odom or Gasol-type caliber player on his side :whistle:

Underrated?

The Cavs had the no. 1 record in the league and a few former all-stars around Lebron and an all-star in Mo Williams, but I guess that's not enough help.(Big Z, Sczerbiak, Wallace), :eyebrow: The Cavs won 66 games this year and swept their first 2 opponents in the playoffs, but because they lose, he doesn't have enough help? Excuses. Cleveland may not have the talent some other rosters have, but they have some very good role players/shooters around Lebron and a very good defensive team, it's not always about talent, because I have seen some supremely talented teams fail to win, it's about chemistry, etc... The Cleveland front office has done a very good job of surrounding Lebron with enough shooters, etc.. to keep his team winning. When they played Orlando, they were beaten because Orlando presented problems for them in terms of matchups. They didn't matchup well with Lewis, Hedo. The NBA is all about matchups.

*Odom has been playing very good basketball these past 4 or 5 games, something laker fans' have been looking for him to do on a consistent basis for years. When he plays the way he did last night, it makes us tough to beat.

Hellcrooner
06-08-2009, 12:52 PM
im amazed.

If Pau scores 30 but his rival scores 30 too everybody is on his back about how soft he is and about how a bad deffender he is.

Can anybody explain me exactly wtf did odom yesterday on D? Rashard got like 1000 points

op12
06-08-2009, 12:56 PM
The Cavs had the no. 1 record in the league and a few former all-stars around Lebron and an all-star in Mo Williams, but I guess that's not enough help.(Big Z, Sczerbiak, Wallace), :eyebrow: The Cavs won 66 games this year and swept their first 2 opponents in the playoffs, but because they lose, he doesn't have enough help? Excuses. Cleveland may not have the talent some other rosters have, but they have some very good role players/shooters around Lebron and a very good defensive team, it's not always about talent, because I have seen some supremely talented teams fail to win, it's about chemistry, etc... The Cleveland front office has done a very good job of surrounding Lebron with enough shooters, etc.. to keep his team winning. When they played Orlando, they were beaten because Orlando presented problems for them in terms of matchups. They didn't matchup well with Lewis, Hedo. The NBA is all about matchups.

*Odom has been playing very good basketball these past 4 or 5 games, something laker fans' have been looking for him to do on a consistent basis for years. When he plays the way he did last night, it makes us tough to beat.

you cant say lebron has the type of help gasol and odom provide. even when bynum can turn it up he is a huge lift. kobe, odom, and gasol are a great big 3 when odom decides he wants to play. lebrons big 3 would include mo and delonte with mo being inconsistent. big z is pretty good but getting old. including wally and big ben, who are both on the down hill, is crazy. wally barely plays half the time. i dont think it is excuses, he needs more help, just like kobe needed gasol.

with that being said im not saying lebron is better than kobe, just saying the lakers do have kobe more help. and if odom always played motivated they would/will be hard to beat.

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 12:59 PM
you cant say lebron has the type of help gasol and odom provide. even when bynum can turn it up he is a huge lift. kobe, odom, and gasol are a great big 3 when odom decides he wants to play. lebrons big 3 would include mo and delonte with mo being inconsistent. big z is pretty good but getting old. including wally and big ben, who are both on the down hill, is crazy. wally barely plays half the time. i dont think it is excuses, he needs more help, just like kobe needed gasol.

with that being said im not saying lebron is better than kobe, just saying the lakers do have kobe more help. and if odom always played motivated they would/will be hard to beat.

How does a team win 66 games and have one of the best records in NBA history not have enough help around their superstar player? The Cavs swept Detroit, swept Atlanta (who took Boston to 7 games last year) and most people were picking them to go to the finals and possibly win it all, yet when Cleveland loses, it's Lebron doesn't have enough help? Excuses.

*Bynum is averaging 6pts a game and about 3 rebs a game during the postseason.

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
im amazed.

If Pau scores 30 but his rival scores 30 too everybody is on his back about how soft he is and about how a bad deffender he is.

Can anybody explain me exactly wtf did odom yesterday on D? Rashard got like 1000 pointsI believe Odom is a far better post defender than he is on the preimeter.

op12
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
How does a team win 66 games and have one of the best records in NBA history not have enough help around their superstar player? The Cavs swept Detroit, swept Atlanta (who took Boston to 7 games last year) and most people were picking them to go to the finals and possibly win it all, yet when Cleveland loses, it's Lebron doesn't have enough help? Excuses.

im not a cavs fan, just stating the obvious. and your points are terrible, detroit was all messed up this year and atl was injured throughout the series. i seem to remember people saying if bynum had played last year la would have won it all. that is an excuse. if you get man handled in the conf finals saying you need to get your star player is not an excuse, it is a clear observation. no one is talking bad about your lakers, if anything it is a compliment towards gasol, odom, fish, ariza and bynum.

and i said when bynum can turn it up, like he did at points during the season. i didnt say he was a star in these playoffs.

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
im not a cavs fan, just stating the obvious. and your points are terrible, detroit was all messed up this year and atl was injured throughout the series. i seem to remember people saying if bynum had played last year la would have won it all. that is an excuse. if you get man handled in the conf finals saying you need to get your star player is not an excuse, it is a clear observation. no one is talking bad about your lakers, if anything it is a compliment towards gasol, odom, fish, ariza and bynum.

Again, answer the question, how does a team win 66 games and have one of the best records in league history not have enough help around their superstar? No one was making any excuses for Cleveland when they were breezing through the first 2 rounds, everyone had them pegged for the finals. Not one so-called expert picked Orlando to beat Cleveland! Fact.

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
My entire argument is this, I have never seen a team win 66 games and have the no. 1 record throughout the league not have enough help for their superstar. When a team like the Cavs win 66 games, it's clear that they have enough around their star player to get it done. Orlando was just a matchup nightmare for them and they were beaten. It's no accident when a team wins that many games and has one of the best records in league history. (Top 8 in league history)

op12
06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
again, i gave you reasons for the breeze in the 1st 2 rds. dallas also won 60 some games a few years ago and didnt have dirk enough help to win it all. some teams are better suited to play consistent all season, but when the big playoff games come around the role players cant step it up. nobody on clev other than lebron stepped it up in the big games. and there were people, including me, who thought orlando could beat them. orl has 3 guys who can step up in big games, clev does not and the lakers do. i dont know why you are so defensive, we are complimenting your beloved lakers, not bashing them. some people just argue for no reason.

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM

*Bynum is averaging 6pts a game and about 3 rebs a game during the postseason.First of all if you consider Wally (bootleg Kapono) help? then your wrong already. Atlanta and Detroit were both sub-par teams this season, and as said before were exposed to matchup problems concerning LeBron. Orlando finally brought Cleveland's frontcourt weakness into light. Therefore I believe they do need help in that area. Gasol and Odom are both players that can create their own looks (very important). They can be trusted to make big plays if need be. In my eyes LeBron was the only one the Cavs could/ would turn to late in games. No?

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
again, i gave you reasons for the breeze in the 1st 2 rds. dallas also won 60 some games a few years ago and didnt have dirk enough help to win it all. some teams are better suited to play consistent all season, but when the big playoff games come around the role players cant step it up. nobody on clev other than lebron stepped it up in the big games. and there were people, including me, who thought orlando could beat them. orl has 3 guys who can step up in big games, clev does not and the lakers do. i dont know why you are so defensive, we are complimenting your beloved lakers, not bashing them. some people just argue for no reason.

Dallas went to the finals the year prior to that 67 win team and that year they lost to Golden State was one of the biggest choke jobs in league history. The Mavs had Dirk surrounded with the likes of Josh Howard (all-star), Jason Terry (all-star caliber player, 6th man of the year), Stackhouse (all-star), Devin Harris, so don't give me that excuse that Dirk didn't have enough help. The reason Dirk lost was because he failed to deliver during crunch time and lead his team. Dallas had the same exact team that went to the finals the year before.

As far as Cleveland is concerned, no one remembers the 24 point lead the Cavs blew in game 1? That was a game they should have won. Most of the games were close, but Orlando pulled them out. The Cavs were outplayed and outcoached for that matter.

TopsyTurvy
06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Sometimes you get performances like last night from Lamar, other nights you get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtRXQpZHHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYd0Z4J6dnQ&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seZN-Fv6wI&feature=related

:clap:

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 01:30 PM
First of all if you consider Wally (bootleg Kapono) help? then your wrong already. Atlanta and Detroit were both sub-par teams this season, and as said before were exposed to matchup problems concerning LeBron. Orlando finally brought Cleveland's frontcourt weakness into light. Therefore I believe they do need help in that area. Gasol and Odom are both players that can create their own looks (very important). They can be trusted to make big plays if need be. In my eyes LeBron was the only one the Cavs could/ would turn to late in games. No?

Orlando presented major matchup problems for Cleveland which is one of the main reasons they lost. The Cavs also lost because their offense was entirely to predictable, they didn't have enough ball movement and it was Lebron trying to go one on 5 most of the time, you can't win like that. The ball is in his hands way too much, they need a better offense and that boils down to coaching.

op12
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Dallas went to the finals the year prior to that 67 win team and that year they lost to Golden State was one of the biggest choke jobs in league history. The Mavs had Dirk surrounded with the likes of Josh Howard (all-star), Jason Terry (all-star caliber player, 6th man of the year), Stackhouse (all-star), Devin Harris, so don't give me that excuse that Dirk didn't have enough help. The reason Dirk lost was because he failed to deliver during crunch time and lead his team. Dallas had the same exact team that went to the finals the year before.

As far as Cleveland is concerned, no one remembers the 24 point lead the Cavs blew in game 1? That was a game they should have won. Most of the games were close, but Orlando pulled them out. The Cavs were outplayed and outcoached for that matter.

i agree they were outplayed, but he needs more help. especially on the inside. much like that dallas team, neither had a consistent inside presence. and j-ho has not been an all star, terry is incosistent and stackhouse was no longer an all star at that point. also harris was still young and inconsistent, so yes dirk needed more help, choke or not.

clev has a team full of role players other than lebron. i believe gasol and odom are more than role players, which is why lebron needs some help of that caliber.

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Orlando presented major matchup problems for Cleveland which is one of the main reasons they lost. The Cavs also lost because their offense was entirely to predictable, they didn't have enough ball movement and it was Lebron trying to go one on 5 most of the time, you can't win like that. The ball is in his hands way too much, they need a better offense and that boils down to coaching.I agree. Coaching could have been better, but fact is NO ONE on Cleveland wanted the ball. It seemed to me like everyone was looking for LBJ's approval before they shot. Players wide open looked hesitant and unsure and you could see it in their jumpshot. This somewhat of explains the terrible shooting percentage of the Cleveland backcourt during the semis. During one game I even saw Wally APOLOGIZING to LeBron for missing a wide open three... like wtf???

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
i agree they were outplayed, but he needs more help. especially on the inside. much like that dallas team, neither had a consistent inside presence. and j-ho has not been an all star, terry is incosistent and stackhouse was no longer an all star at that point. also harris was still young and inconsistent, so yes dirk needed more help, choke or not.

clev has a team full of role players other than lebron. i believe gasol and odom are more than role players, which is why lebron needs some help of that caliber.

Dirk is a seven footer, he should have been dominating down low, especially with guys like Stephen Jackson guarding him for most of that series. The bottomline is Dirk failed to get it done and it wasn't because his teammates didn't show up, he didn't show up and make plays down the stretch of those ball games. He's a seven footer, play like it, that team should have crushed Golden State esp. with the talent on that team. Dallas had the same exact team that was good enough to get to the finals the year prior, so why the excuses for Dirk the year he won 67 games? Dirk failed to deliver and as a result his team lost in one of the biggest upsets in NBA history. I watched that entire series and kept waiting for Dirk to take over down the stretch and he was content shooting jumpers rather then posting up and delivering during crunch time. Dirk gets the blame for that series completely.

Mo Williams is not a role player, he would start on most teams and have a major impact as well, it's no accident the year he arrives in Cleveland, the Cavs had the top record in the league and improved by 21 games. I would gladly take a point guard who can get me 17 points a game and about 5 or 6 assists per game. Big Z is one of the better centers in the NBA, he's definitely not a back to the basket type of center, but in terms of shooting/rebounding he is effective.

Chronz
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
odom is playing for a contract. just sayin....
Any GM foolish enough to let one series dictate the worth of any veteran will live to see it destroy his resume.

Odom is who he is, hes established a set level of play for the past 6 years, dont let 1 series fool you into thinking hes turning the corner (Like some were doing with Dwight) when hes shown you all year 82 games, the kind of player he is. The only difference between Odom this year and Odom last year is the fact that hes not being defended by Perkins and KG.

Hes got Rashard and Hedo at times.

I agree. Coaching could have been better, but fact is NO ONE on Cleveland wanted the ball. It seemed to me like everyone was looking for LBJ's approval before they shot. Players wide open looked hesitant and unsure and you could see it in their jumpshot. This somewhat of explains the terrible shooting percentage of the Cleveland backcourt during the semis. During one game I even saw Wally APOLOGIZING to LeBron for missing a wide open three... like wtf???
Yeah I saw that too, pretty pathetic IMO. But in Wally's defense he made up for it the very next play, just chucked it with no space and drilled it. Sadly that was the highlight of his playoff run.

macc
06-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Lamar Odom is one of the players alot of Laker fans have wanted gone for a couple years now because he'll have a few bad games but he's one of the players you didn't realize how much he brought to the table till he's gone. As a Magic fan I know this. Having 3 7 footers downlow is tough, esp one that can drive, dish and shoot. There is a reason Kobe wants Odom to stay with the Lakers. If the Lakers are smart they'll let Ariza walk and resign Lamar. Ariza is a cheaper version of Lamar but the only problem is you get what you pay for.

Lakersfan2483
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Any GM foolish enough to let one series dictate the worth of any veteran will live to see it destroy his resume.

Odom is who he is, hes established a set level of play for the past 6 years, dont let 1 series fool you into thinking hes turning the corner (Like some were doing with Dwight) when hes shown you all year 82 games, the kind of player he is. The only difference between Odom this year and Odom last year is the fact that hes not being defended by Perkins and KG.

Hes got Rashard and Hedo at times.

Yeah I saw that too, pretty pathetic IMO. But in Wally's defense he made up for it the very next play, just chucked it with no space and drilled it. Sadly that was the highlight of his playoff run.

Agreed.

Chronz
06-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Pretty clear what his intentions are, but hes still right about a few points, Odom has been monstrous these playoffs, Pau has been anything but soft, and yes they won 66 games for a variety of reasons, biggest one being Bron. Easily the most flawed 66 win team in the history of the league. Flaws masked by Brons greatness, so you mistake them for a talented bunch.

Look at my sig for proof of how far people are willing to reach in order to glorify the "help" LeBron has.

lakerboy
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Odom is a monster when he is focused. Problem is he's just always distracted.

MAC10TIZZY
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Again, answer the question, how does a team win 66 games and have one of the best records in league history not have enough help around their superstar? No one was making any excuses for Cleveland when they were breezing through the first 2 rounds, everyone had them pegged for the finals. Not one so-called expert picked Orlando to beat Cleveland! Fact.

he's right!!!

Unruly Fan
06-08-2009, 03:27 PM

he's right!!!That is true. And the explination for your answer is this... It's been proven that Orlando could beat the Cavs (winning past 8 of 11 during regular seasons) BUT this is the playoffs and the Cavs were smoldering hot at the time. They seemingly looked unbeatable sweeping both DET and ATL. Could you blame predicitons made against Orlando who's playoff run was somewhat shaky to say the least?

GspLAL
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM

They call him the X Factor because if he's on, LA is unstoppable, and it's not always that he's playing well.

what54!?
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
when odom is on, he is a beast. The problem is that he doesn't always play like he wants it. He has been this series.

on second thought this is a contract year for odom.....

JJ81
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
If he was consistant he'd be amazing

IDB Josh M
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Its the candy.

Who can grab an assist?
Rebound the ball too?
Who can drive down the lane and make a layup in a zoo
The Candy man!
Candy Man Lamar can!

ARMIN12NBA
06-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Kobe is barely breaking a sweat averaging 35/8/6 in the NBA Finals. Yup.

amos1er
06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

No, it makes us impossible to beat. ;)

OG "Dee" LOCc
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Sometimes you get performances like last night from Lamar, other nights you get this:

LMFAO @ the second one

that one had me dying

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I want to meet the GM dumb enough to throw anything over $8 million to Lamar because he showed up for a couple of games. Was he great last night? Absolutely. Him and Pau were the main reasons the Lakers won the game. But he is not worth more than $8 million per year. He better hope the Lakers break him off that much as a token as their appreciation for winning game 2 of the finals for them. If he hits the free agent market, teams will offer him their mid level up to $8 mill. Thats it.

S.J.Basketball
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree. 8 Million sounds fair.

_KB24_
06-08-2009, 10:35 PM
He is definitely a 10 -12 mill per type of player. When playing starting minutes, he is a lock for a double-double and is an excellent passer. I mean how many post players can rebound like him and lead the break? 8 mill is a certain pay-cut and I think he will take it only in LA.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree. 8 Million sounds fair.

Anything over that would be salary cap suicide for a team. Plus, so few teams have cap room coming up this year. And the teams that do have it, have to know that you dont give Lamar Odom star money. You can not have a player that will show up for about 35 to 40 games during the season tie up all your money so that you are not able to get a true star in their to help you win.

The Lakers should offer him for 2 years for $16 million and Ariza 15 to 18 over 3 years

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
He is definitely a 10 -12 mill per type of player. When playing starting minutes, he is a lock for a double-double and is an excellent passer. I mean how many post players can rebound like him and lead the break? 8 mill is a certain pay-cut and I think he will take it only in LA.

But he wont be getting starter minutes. Plus, the only teams that have enough money this next year to offer him more than the mid level exception are Atlanta, Detroit, Memphis and Oklahoma City. I dont see any of those teams strapping themselves salary cap wise for a player that does not bring it every night. Lakers can offer him $7 million and I bet they would be able to get him.

smith&wesson
06-08-2009, 11:01 PM
chris bosh & kapono for odem & ariza any one ?

xabial
06-08-2009, 11:09 PM
He's doing better than i expected during the playoffs
I hope it isnt becuase its his contract year
7-8M to sign him would be a good deal

Utahjazzfan18
06-08-2009, 11:11 PM

I think Kobe is an amazing player but if you put Lebron in Kobe's place on the Lakers, I don't think anyone would argue he would be in the finals right now. The Lakers big men are so much better then Cleveland's. They also have probably the greatest coach ever in Phil Jackson. I just don't think you can compare Varejao, Ilgauskas, and Ben Wallace to Gasol, Odom, and Bynum. I dont think Kobe could have got past the Magic either when your 2nd best player is Mo Williams.

JordansBulls
06-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Kenny Smith has said All year that the Lakers are a team that is built to win the title. Inside, outside presence, closer, coach, 6th man, etc.

_KB24_
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I think Kobe is an amazing player but if you put Lebron in Kobe's place on the Lakers, I don't think anyone would argue he would be in the finals right now. The Lakers big men are so much better then Cleveland's. They also have probably the greatest coach ever in Phil Jackson. I just don't think you can compare Varejao, Ilgauskas, and Ben Wallace to Gasol, Odom, and Bynum. I dont think Kobe could have got past the Magic either when your 2nd best player is Mo Williams.

You just had to bring Lebron into this... Stop believing in "but"s and "if"s. They don't exist like Lebron in the Finals.

mrblisterdundee
06-09-2009, 02:55 AM
I would say that Lamar Odom is differently equal to Glen Rice. Rice was a better shooter and Lamar is better in the post, but they are and were of equal value to their respective teams. Lamar Odom is not overrated. He is meant to be a third option.

madiaz3
06-09-2009, 03:04 AM

Uhh, he had a TON of help. Prime example of MATCH UP NIGHTMARE. All you did was support an analogy to the Cavs and how they DID have enough help, just a terrible matchup.

Statik1
06-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I would say that Lamar Odom is differently equal to Glen Rice. Rice was a better shooter and Lamar is better in the post, but they are and were of equal value to their respective teams. Lamar Odom is not overrated. He is meant to be a third option.

Strange comparison:eyebrow:

stawka
06-09-2009, 04:00 AM

If that's the case, Paul Peirce/KG/RayRay were better then Kobe last year. Wade/Duncan/Parker/Ginobili were all better then Kobe a couple of years back etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, Odom would do nothing for LeBron - first of all they play the same position. Off the bench different story, but either way LeBron's team is NOTHING compared to Kobe's. Kobe doesn't even have to score anymore, his presence on the court is enough for his team to win games.

Unruly Fan
06-09-2009, 09:41 AM

Im sorry but I just had to point this out.

P.I.
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Lamar Odom is a very good player when he gets minutes. But when he doesnt he takes the stupidest shots. When he plays really good Lakers are pretty much unstoppable. THANKS BYNUM!

HAHA Phils Jacksons face is priceless.

Lamar does what he does I think its because of the pressure he is playing in LA and playing againts Kobe.

Unruly Fan
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Lamar does what he does I think its because of the pressure he is playing in LA and playing againts Kobe.
Yeah is it me or does Kobe act like a ****** after one of his team mates mess up? Game 2 of the Orlando series, Shannon Brown was in the corner and Kobe faked a shot before dishing it out to him. Shannon Brown anticipating that Kobe was gonna shoot it starts moving into position to try and grab an offensive board. Kobe ends up turning it over on the miscommunication and plays it off like it was Shannon Browns fault. Even the announcer said something like "Don't go pointing fingers now (to Bryant) that was on you".

:pity:

_KB24_
06-10-2009, 12:28 AM

LOL! haha i remember watching two of those live:o. But you still cannot argue that Odom is not a a really good passer in the post. Probally in the top 5-6 for his height.

BigEric
06-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Yeah is it me or does Kobe act like a ****** after one of his team mates mess up? Game 2 of the Orlando series, Shannon Brown was in the corner and Kobe faked a shot before dishing it out to him. Shannon Brown anticipating that Kobe was gonna shoot it starts moving into position to try and grab an offensive board. Kobe ends up turning it over on the miscommunication and plays it off like it was Shannon Browns fault. Even the announcer said something like "Don't go pointing fingers now (to Bryant) that was on you".

:pity:

Oh I know exactly what you're saying. Mark Jackson said that and he was completely correct in saying that. Even when they went over to the benches Kobe was making gestures that the play was Brown's fault.

ggg
06-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Lamar is a top 50 all time player but he doesnt want to play like that all over regular season rather let his teammates do the work. Phil jackson acknowledges it, so he reserves lamar's best effort and performance in the post season. he was a beast in the utah series. got injured in houston, played okay. bounced back games 5 and 6 in denver. Played great games 1 2 3 of the finals. especially game 3, he let kobe do his thing and when the team needed scoring, he picked it up.

he's just unselfish, thats all there is to it.

VSLOOT
06-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Lamar is a top 50 all time player but he doesnt want to play like that all over regular season rather let his teammates do the work. Phil jackson acknowledges it, so he reserves lamar's best effort and performance in the post season. he was a beast in the utah series. got injured in houston, played okay. bounced back games 5 and 6 in denver. Played great games 1 2 3 of the finals. especially game 3, he let kobe do his thing and when the team needed scoring, he picked it up.

he's just unselfish, thats all there is to it.

Top 50 all time player are u a ****** or just act like one... Odom is only good when he wants to be....Your mom dropped u on your head when you were a baby

azkarraga
06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
He's much too inconsistent to be an all star. Remember last year's finals.

J-Relo
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM

but those passes in the videos just shows what has to be changed... bench players half a meter from on the court players with same color jerseys?...

referee shouldn't just stand on the court too...

midwestmadman
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Why are we still talking about Cleveland? Seriously, they need to score a big man in the post or they are dead in the water. Orlando exposed them for being weak up front and slow on rotations. Coming into the series Orl/LAL I was giving the edge to Orlando, not just because I hate Kobe Bryant, but because I felt the Lakers played the same type of passive game (which even Lakers fans would have to admit they were playing passively in the first 2 rounds this year) that Cleveland did and i didn't see an answer for Dwight Howard, while they don't really have one answer for him heads up, the doubles and triple teams of Gasol, Odom, and Bynum have really slowed his offense down. Dwight needs a go to move or two in order to take his game to the next level. Last nights game was very irrating when the calls down the stretch are completely ignored (for both teams it wasn't all one sided, though that elbow from Kobe on Nelson is an offensive foul no question about it and that no call gave the Lakers the game when Fisher hit a wide open 3) but in my opinion Orlando fans your team can not turn it over 19 times forcing only like 6 in return, nor can you miss 18 free throws and expect to win the game against the Lakers. Had Orlando made even a respectable 72% of their FT's in this game they would have been no overtime and we;d have a tied series. I am still pulling for you Orlando and Orlando fans, but unfortunatly for the game of basketball and for the NBA the Lakers will end up winning this (probably in game 6) at home in LA. I hate you Laker fans but congrats on a great year, you deserve to celebrate!

midwestmadman
06-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh I know exactly what you're saying. Mark Jackson said that and he was completely correct in saying that. Even when they went over to the benches Kobe was making gestures that the play was Brown's fault.

I agree with what your saying but who really knows, maybe the play was actually to get Brown the ball in the corner off of a head fake.

P.S. I hate Kobe Bryant but we don't know what the play was in Shannon Browns defense Kobe shoots that ball 99.9 times out of 100 and 58% of the time misses it (42% shooter from the top of the key 3 point range avg. career) so I feel he was justified in getting a jump on the O boards.

Unruly Fan
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
but those passes in the videos just shows what has to be changed... bench players half a meter from on the court players with same color jerseys?...

referee shouldn't just stand on the court too...

An accidental pass to a teammate on the bench is understandable, but one to a ref??? Not so much...