PDA

View Full Version : Open question

DitchDat
06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
This is something I've been thinking about for quite a some time now. It's just a stupid question, but I'm curious to what what other basketball fans think about this. Here goes:

"Should a guard average more assists than rebounds?"

I always find it curious when quality-minute guards average like 5 rebounds but only 2 assists. Discuss!

dee279
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
well point guards should avg. more assist then rebounds. Rebounds from a PG are a added bonus. A 2 guard should be good at both imo.

dee279
06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Theres 3 type of PGs. A floor general, A scorer, and u got your Chris Pauls and your Rondos who do it all. Same goes for 2 guards but instead of your floor generals u have your Spot up Shooters. And each guard position also have The Defensive player like a lindsey hunter, and raja bells. Also you have your D wades and Kobes who do it all.

harsh506
06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Theres 3 type of PGs. A floor general, A scorer, and u got your Chris Pauls and your Rondos who do it all. Same goes for 2 guards but instead of your floor generals u have your Spot up Shooters. And each guard position also have The Defensive player like a lindsey hunter, and raja bells. Also you have your D wades and Kobes who do it all.

I agree. You can either go J.Kidd style or Steve Nash and basically control the pace of the game or go Rondo/ Paul and take a game over yourself

i.got.the.nutz
06-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think Rondo can take over a game w/o a jumpshot.

Sly Guy
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think Rondo can take over a game w/o a jumpshot.

agreed, this kid needs to learn how to stick one

Reversed86Curse
06-08-2009, 07:09 PM
agreed, this kid needs to learn how to stick one

I agree that he needs to get better with his jump shot, but it obviously didn't stop him in the playoffs- he showed signs that he can take over games

jimbobjarree
06-08-2009, 07:41 PM
rondo aint no derrrronnn

mrblisterdundee
06-09-2009, 03:08 AM
When driving and kicking, guards are in a good position to pick up a rebound off of a missed shot. Therefore, it's not too weird for some of them to average a lot of rebounds, although I think a more effective guard would set up good enough shots to where they didn't need to pick up so many rebounds off of misses. The guard is probably better if they can average many more assists than rebounds.

Gnac76
06-09-2009, 03:21 AM
I think the better question should a guard in general average more assists than rebounds, and I would say yes, not by much... a pg aint doing his job if he's averaging more rebs than assists.. unless hes averaging 7 boards, 6 assists per.. which in that case, yep...who wouldnt want that?

C_Mund
06-09-2009, 05:02 AM
I think a lot has to do with the particular guard's role. If you look at a starting point guard, I'd rather see more assists than boards. However a sixth-man type 2 (aka JR Smith) I'd rather have a few boards, because it means he's either starting the fast break or he's trying to get at the rim on offense. Not many guards can do it all, which is why you see so many tweeners, 6'4 dudes who can score and leap but not actually play to make their teammates better.

azkarraga
06-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Rondo doesn't belong to the same category as Paul. Or not yet.

TmacBryant
06-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Rondo is the next Kareem.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
i agree any guard should avg more ast than rebounds

a point guard doesnt need a jump shot to take over a game(especially when u can blow by anyone) their job is to control pace n tempo n set up the team

paul might have better numbers but last time i check rondo had a ring lol which i think balance's them out :D

kareem?? thats pushin it...i dunno how u even compare the 2 lol next j kidd i been sayin that since his rookie yr