PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown doesn't mind Coaching Iverson again!!

JordansBulls
06-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApHJdb4HMwmjmnn9AOKtqsy8vLYF?slug=ap-iversonbrown&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Allen Iverson(notes) needs a team and Larry Brown needs a scorer.

Just think, they could reunite and talk about practice.

Seven years after his famous rant in Philadelphia during a feud with Brown over missing practice, Iverson is set to become unrestricted free agent. Brown is now coaching the low-scoring Bobcats, and Iverson was recently spotted in Charlotte.

It’s fueled speculation that Iverson, who had a difficult season in Detroit after his November trade from Denver, could be paired with Brown again.

“I love Allen,” Brown said Friday. “Everybody documents our issues, but think of the body of work when he played for me. Pretty incredible. And I know he has a big chip on his shoulder now. He told me he’d been to Charlotte.

“I want him go to where he knows he can win,” Brown said. “I think from my standpoint, I don’t know if we’re ready to win at the level I think a kid at his age, what he’s done, should have. I want to see him go where he could win a championship.”

But Iverson’s agent, Leon Rose, said his client would be willing to play for Brown agai

Lakersfan2483
06-06-2009, 01:40 PM
If anyone can get the most out of Iverson, it's Brown. Iverson was at his best under Larry Brown's guidance and if Iverson goes to Charlotte, they have a chance to make the playoffs, especially with the talent on that roster. They have the type of team and coach that would compliment Allen's game and it would be a good fit (Obviously, Iverson is not the player he used to be as he is past his prime now). They have a good group of young talent in Okafor, Felton, and Gerald Wallace. They also have a good mixture of veterans in Raja Bell and B. Diaw.

*Brown actually had the team playing some really good basketball last season and in contention for the 8th spot.

Durant is hype
06-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I would love to see a Brown and Iverson reunion.

Ironically,Charlotte is a good fit for Iverson.

DerekRE_3
06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Good god this would be horrible. If the Bobcats take on Iverson and let Raymond Felton go in the process I'm gonna be pissed. With Iverson on the team...watch Boris Diaw especially disappear on offense, even though he's by far our most talented player.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
why would Charlotte do this?? Makes no sense. They would need to let Felton walk, and guys like Wallace and Diaw would immediately become less valuable if they need to move them for salary dump. This would be stupid for them. Best thing they could do, is do a sign and trade for Felton since Augustine is coming alive, and move him for some value or salary cap relief at the very least.

DerekRE_3
06-06-2009, 03:30 PM
why would Charlotte do this?? Makes no sense. They would need to let Felton walk, and guys like Wallace and Diaw would immediately become less valuable if they need to move them for salary dump. This would be stupid for them. Best thing they could do, is do a sign and trade for Felton since Augustine is coming alive, and move him for some value or salary cap relief at the very least.

Everything I've read and heard is pointing to Felton staying Charlotte. The Bobcats front office and Larry Brown want him back...and Raymond Felton wants to come back and lead this team like the playoffs, that has been his goal since he was drafted by the team in 2005.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Everything I've read and heard is pointing to Felton staying Charlotte. The Bobcats front office and Larry Brown want him back...and Raymond Felton wants to come back and lead this team like the playoffs, that has been his goal since he was drafted by the team in 2005.

I hear ya, and you are way more aware of what is going on with that team than I am, I think I watched them play 10 times this year. But, they have 4 players making serious money thru 2012, they are already near cap with 7 open roster spots next season, can they afford to resign Felton? And if so, they will need to move either, Wallace, Okafor, or Diaw. Nobody wants Diop or Mohammed I would guess.
And I will say this, you do NOT let a lottery pick who has started and gone for 14/5 just walk. So they will get something for him. They could always offer him a one year tender, he can't walk that way, gives them a chance to figure it out

Jays Claw
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
This would kill the development of D.J Augustine.

Kakaroach
06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Allen Iverson doesn't fit Charlotte's system. They are defensive-minded and team ball. Maybe if Iverson came off of the bench, but I don't think he wants to do that. Plus, I'm sure that this late in his career he wants a championship, not a maybe-playoff team.

DerekRE_3
06-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I hear ya, and you are way more aware of what is going on with that team than I am, I think I watched them play 10 times this year. But, they have 4 players making serious money thru 2012, they are already near cap with 7 open roster spots next season, can they afford to resign Felton? And if so, they will need to move either, Wallace, Okafor, or Diaw. Nobody wants Diop or Mohammed I would guess.
And I will say this, you do NOT let a lottery pick who has started and gone for 14/5 just walk. So they will get something for him. They could always offer him a one year tender, he can't walk that way, gives them a chance to figure it out

He actually got 14 and 7...but yeah, you don't let a former #5 pick walk. They have a 5.5 mil tender. I seriously doubt that they move Wallace, Okafor, or Diaw. If they do trade Wallace...I see Larry Brown leaving the team after next year. Out of the 3 of those players though, seems like Diaw may be the most movable, then Okafor. Teams seem to be scared of Wallace's injury history and they haven't gotten the greatest offers for him.

DerekRE_3
06-06-2009, 04:17 PM
This would kill the development of D.J Augustine.

Not really. Brown had Augustin and Felton in the backcourt together a lot last year. Felton may not be that tall , but he is very strong for his size and can defend most 2 guards. I've seen him stick Kobe in games and do a decent job. Also...DJ isn't ready to be a starting PG just yet. He was more of a shooter last year, not a playmaker. Despite not starting last year, he still got 26 mpg. If the team signed AI, Felton would probably gone (which would be a huge mistake), so Augustin would still see the floor. That being said...I hope to god the Bobcats don't sign AI.

dee279
06-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Allen Iverson doesn't fit Charlotte's system. They are defensive-minded and team ball. Maybe if Iverson came off of the bench, but I don't think he wants to do that. Plus, I'm sure that this late in his career he wants a championship, not a maybe-playoff team.

Iverson can put them in playoff contention. They need a scorer and AI is mos def a scorer. One of the best scorers ever in this league avgeraging over 27 points for his career.

Blah Blah Blah
06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Having Iverson can have a serious negative impact by putting this team back a couple steps. They have been improving every year and Iverson would prolly just mess it up. Especially with his mindset.

Kakaroach
06-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Iverson can put them in playoff contention. They need a scorer and AI is mos def a scorer. One of the best scorers ever in this league avgeraging over 27 points for his career. I never said he couldn't score, cuz we all know he can lol. I just said he would rather be on a championship-contending team and not a team that might make the playoffs.

Missing56&33
06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Having Iverson can have a serious negative impact by putting this team back a couple steps. They have been improving every year and Iverson would prolly just mess it up. Especially with his mindset.

They have? Charlotte like the knicks dont even know the meaning of the playoffs. They need to do something. Need to sell some tickets the stadium is friggin empty.

AIverson
06-06-2009, 08:51 PM
If he gets to go there and hog and the ball like he use to, I'm all for it.

I'd watch all 82 games, buy multiple jerseys and shoes.

td0tsfinest
06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Bobcats really do need a scorer. They don't got a legitimate scorer, who knows Iverson maybe the player they need.

cmellofan15
06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
If he gets to go there and hog and the ball like he use to, I'm all for it.

I'd watch all 82 games, buy multiple jerseys and shoes.

Sounds kinda gay to me :shrug:. But back on subject. Larry Brown would never coach Iverson again because of the simple fact Iverson can't be coached. He wants to go on the court do things his way and the Bobcats might be the team to do it on

lakers4sho
06-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Iverson to Charlotte wouldn't be such a bad idea :shrug:

Playoff team? Sure. Championship-caliber? I don't know about that.

KeithLBC
06-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Why would Charlotte want to regress? I wouldn't let AI ruin the chemistry that they have as they are if I was MJ. I would much rather have the less talented Raymond Felton or even DJ Augustin play PG rather than AI being that they're team players and are coachable.

lakers4sho
06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
It worked in Philly, so I don't see why not? :shrug:

It's not like Charlotte has any big time scorers, that's their primary need

NBA_Starter
06-07-2009, 01:12 AM
No no no NO!!:hide:

NBA_Starter
06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Do we even have enough money for this to happen?

Chronz
06-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Good god this would be horrible. If the Bobcats take on Iverson and let Raymond Felton go in the process I'm gonna be pissed. With Iverson on the team...watch Boris Diaw especially disappear on offense, even though he's by far our most talented player.

Why do you think he would take away from Diaws game, I think Charlotte would be a great fit if hes willing to come off the bench.

Furthermore, Felton is more valuable because of his age, but really now, your team wouldnt lose much if the 2 were to switch places.

Chronz
06-07-2009, 02:15 AM

How many more years do you give him to figure it out?

DerekRE_3
06-07-2009, 03:53 AM
Why do you think he would take away from Diaws game, I think Charlotte would be a great fit if hes willing to come off the bench.

Furthermore, Felton is more valuable because of his age, but really now, your team wouldnt lose much if the 2 were to switch places.

Because Diaw needs the ball in his hands, AI would take that away from him. And yes, we would lose a lot, because Iverson refuses to change the way he plays despite the obvious evidence that he is declining. Felton isn't selfish, and plays good defense. Felton is also a great locker room guy and teammate. I've heard the AI stories about what he did for young guys like Melo and JR Smith with the Nuggets. We don't need that, since we also have a young team with impressionable players. Plus there's no way he agrees to come off the bench.

Chronz
06-07-2009, 04:45 AM
I hope if AI does come youd be willing to give him a chance

DerekRE_3
06-07-2009, 05:03 AM
I hope if AI does come youd be willing to give him a chance

Sure, but I'd be very skeptical. Plus if he comes, then that definitely means that Felton would be gone. Do you really sign a guy who is turning 34 in a couple days and let a 24 year old former top 5 pick go? Felton has showed a good amount of promise under Larry Brown and has been very open to being coached (something AI hasn't been known to do) and is committed to bringing Charlotte to the playoffs. I doubt a healthy 34 year old AI is enough to make us a contender, so why bother bringing him for a year or two when you could have kept a young guy like Felton.

KeithLBC
06-07-2009, 05:16 AM
AI already stated he'll retire before coming off the bench. I hope he holds up to what he said if he's not going to change or be flexible to a teams needs

eBayGEEK
06-07-2009, 10:28 AM
AI already stated he'll retire before coming off the bench. I hope he holds up to what he said if he's not going to change or be flexible to a teams needs

And he will never be the person that young team needs, he will never help/teach the younger guys.

NBA_Starter
06-07-2009, 05:11 PM
And he will never be the person that young team needs, he will never help/teach the younger guys.

Except teach them bad habits...:(

DitchDat
06-07-2009, 05:44 PM
If Iverson ends up in Charlotte, he's just the spoiled child that ends up having it his way. He's a grown man for Christ's sake. His Detroit stint really hurt his resume in my book. AI is a man-child.