PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld rumor: Rondo and Allen on the block

Boston Faithful
06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12861

For the past few days we've been hearing rumors that the Boston Celtics might be willing to part with Ray Allen before the start of the 2009-2010 season. HOOPSWORLD asked around in Chicago, where the majority of NBA executives were taking a look at most of the first round draft prospects, and managed to find out a few more details. We have now added to those, with the help of WEEI's Jessica Camerato in Boston.

Off the record, we have several sources telling us that Ray Allen is, indeed, on the block. It's easy to make the leap, as the Celtics have managed to develop some nice young talent around their Big Three while also managing to win a championship. They might have even repeated had Kevin Garnett been healthy. It's not a stretch to say the Celtics would part with Allen, who has an ending contract next season, if they could add another top young player to the mix.

On the record we have an added wrinkle - one that we thought to be highly unlikely until we found it reported with a quote attributed to Celtics GM Danny Ainge. It seems the Celtics are willing to package Rajon Rondo with Allen to make the right deal happen

"He's stubborn," Ainge told ESPN's Jackie MacMullen. "He doesn't always take direction well. He's very bright and knows what he needs to do to be successful. But sometimes he doesn't understand what the team needs to be successful."

Doc Rivers expressed similar sentiments, which he directed at Rondo himself earlier this season.

"Do you know your teammates hate playing with you? ... The point guard has to be the guy that brings energy to the team. You can't be the guy that sucks it away. Your moodiness is affecting us. Change it."

At the same time, Rondo has guys like Paul Pierce and Kendrick Perkins saying he's their leader and they believe in him. And while there is a great deal to be said for patience and seeing if Rondo will improve as much next season as he did in 2008-09, there is certainly a lot of negativity coming from the decision-makers - enough to fuel trade speculation.

The latest rumor making its way around - and we're not hearing that there is any truth to it, on or off the record - has the Phoenix Suns sending Amar'e Stoudemire (of course) to the Celtics in a package for Rondo and Allen, with Leandro Barbosa also included in the deal.

So . . .who gets benched? Kevin Garnett? Kendrick Perkins? You're talking about the best defensive front court in the NBA a season ago. Sitting Perkins removes a strong defender and replaces him with a true defensive screen door.

There is definitely some truth to the idea that the Celtics would move Ray Allen - and maybe even Rajon Rondo - if the right deal came along. As for the Suns coming up with the right deal, that seems highly unlikely.

still1ballin
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
wth?

dtmagnet
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Thats confusing, are they selling high on Rondo? Also I never knew he had any kind of attitude problem.

MVPedroia
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
that would be a monster trade if it involves both Rondo/Allen

cwilson21
06-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Wow. Well if the GM and coach both acknowledge that a player has attitude issues, you know they're pretty stubborn.

DerekRE_3
Why would they say all those things about Rondo while putting him in the block? Doesn't seem smart as that could diminish his trade value on the market. If anything they should be hyping him up.

Kabowdos
I don't think the Celtics should trade Allen or Rondo.

Allen had an unbelievable post season and regular season. Rondo did the same thing. I think Allen is not going to get much worse due to age because he is a straight shooter. Pierce and Garnett will feel the age before he does. Get rid of Pierce before Allen and Rondo. Allen hit numerous game winners all season and post season. Rondo is just as big of a reason for the Celtics success as anyone else on the team.

DitchDat
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
honestly, the whole thing seems fishy.... I mean they've been ecstatic about Rondo all year long, where the hell does this come from?

Unruly Fan
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
at the same time, rondo has guys like paul pierce and kendrick perkins saying he's their leader and they believe in him

wow!

Lo Porto
06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
This is pretty strange. Where in the world are they going to find value for Rondo AND Allen? If this is all for a trade for Bosh or Stoudamire, I don't think it's worth it. That team was Garnett away from beating Orlando and could definitely beat Cleveland and L.A. when healthy. Why mess up a good thing?

Sn1ch_Turna
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
If these reports are true - wow, pretty stupid by Ainge and Doc. I cant see any point in publicly critisizing ur starting PG

BTownTeamsRKing
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
woahhhhhh

let the trade winds blow.

the Celtics just might be in the 2010 sweepstakes

ink
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Why would they say all those things about Rondo while putting him in the block? Doesn't seem smart as that could diminish his trade value on the market. If anything they should be hyping him up.

Good question.

I think this article is just a step up from a blogger's opinion. They're using quotes out of context to spread a rumour. The article is a bit screwed up, but if I understand correctly, neither Ainge or Doc said those things about Rondo IN THIS CONTEXT.

In other words, the attitude quotes are old.

Not only that, but the quotes were twisted into negatives. If you check the original article linked on the Hoopsworld website, they are from an April 23rd ESPN article PRAISING Rondo's development.

Crap journalism.

DerekRE_3
06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Good question.

I think this article is just a step up from a blogger's opinion. They're using quotes out of context to spread a rumour. The article is a bit screwed up, but if I understand correctly, neither Ainge or Doc said those things about Rondo IN THIS CONTEXT.

In other words, the attitude quotes are old.

Yeah that would be my guess as well.

Draco
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
The quotes are only a little over a month old. It's not really unreasonable to think they might have something to do with Rajon being on the blocks.. if he happens to be in that situation.

jtchilln
06-05-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12861

Look at the source..."hoopsworld.com", who the F*kc is that??? Let me see a real source report it then I'll believe it. NOWAY is Rondo on the block, this is an absolute JOKE!!!

jbeezy
06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
What the heck are the Celtics doing? I dont get why they would attempt to trade Rondo. They are gone f up the team. :pity:

ink
06-05-2009, 03:03 PM
The quotes are about Rondo TWO YEARS AGO. Here they are in their proper context from the ESPN article:

Two seasons ago, before the banners and the plaudits and applause, when Rondo was in charge of a team that won just 24 games, he'd throw a no-look bullet and when it was dropped out of bounds he'd roll his eyes in exasperation. If he set up a shooter for the open jumper and it clanged off the rim, the shooter was subjected to the Rondo stare, a look steeped in disdain and aggravation.

Rivers hauled his supposed floor leader into his office and asked him, "Do you know your teammates hate playing with you?"

Rondo displayed no emotion, but his coach's comments left him struggling to breathe.

"The point guard has to be the guy that brings energy to the team," Rivers chided him. "You can't be the guy that sucks it away. Your moodiness is affecting us. Change it."

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/columns/story?columnist=macmullan_jackie&page=Rondo-090423)

Oh ... and guess what the misquoted ESPN article was called??

Rondo fast becoming Celts' leader: The maturation of the Boston Celtics' young point guard has been an involved process

The Hoopsworld article is completely dishonest in the way it is using those quotes. The ESPN article they're drawn from is COMPLIMENTING Rondo, not criticizing him.

NotVeryOriginal
06-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I think this is confirmation that KG's knee is f---ed, they are trading away a certain ECF spot next year and a franchise player for at least a decade, they have to be desprate for a big IMO.

abe_froman
06-05-2009, 03:13 PM
The Hoopsworld article is completely dishonest in the way it is using those quotes.
hoopsworld usually is,take any trade rumor as serious at your own peril

abe_froman
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
"Whoever put the Rondo rumors out there obviously works for someone other than the Celtics."

The source said that the Celtics may have had some "very minor" conversations about Allen, "but he's not likely going anywhere, either."

http://www.probasketballnews.com/blog/

now put an end to this