PDA

View Full Version : Marcin Gortat

Hoopsadvocate
06-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Everyones been saying hes due for a big pay increase seeing as how hes a FA this summer. Van gundy himself saids they dont lose much defensively when hes in for Howard and hes a great rebounder and i also think he has pretty good hands (announcers also mentioned it). I doubt the magic will be able to hold on to him with many NBA teams needing a defensive minded and tough center. My question is how well do you think he can be as a starter with starter minutes in the league.

He currently avgs about 12.6 min and avgs 3.8 ppg 4.5 rpg and 0.8 bpg. Now being a starting center i think its fair to say he could do something like 10.2 ppg 11 RPG and 1.4 BPG. I think he can definitely be as good if not better than many other centers starting throughout the league like Andrew Bogut, Sam Dalembert, Joel Przybilla, Erick Dampier, and Kendrick Perkins just to name a few.

Thoughts?

superkegger
06-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Who knows. It's on thing to be a solid backup, another to make the jump to starter. Not sure if he's a guy I'd want to start for my team, I think he's a great backup, but probably not starter material at this point.

DerekRE_3
06-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Duuudeeee I've been waiting for a Gortat thread for months thank you!!!

Hoopsadvocate
06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
usually id agree i dont like backups on one team to be starters on another just because the other teams starter sucks. BUT in this case gortats numbers vary with minutes his avg is for 12.6 min with howard being so young that hes able to stay on the floor a lot and there for gortat isnt able to do much with limited min.

It just seems like everytime he gets good minutes the guy produces like in Philly. I dont think he'll be as good as Dwight but definetly as good if not better than those guys mentioned.

Basicly whoever snatches this guy in the off season is getting a steal.

Statik1
06-05-2009, 12:57 AM
The Cavs sure could use him :laugh:

_KB24_
06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
This guy is a really solid backup, but hells away from becoming a starter. I like his defensive abilities and his presence, and he can get double figures in rebounding. However he has to work on his handy-eye coordination. He is not as fast with his hands as he should be.

jdillion
06-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Gortat is a solid player and a excellent backup center. The nba is so weak at center that there is no doubt in my mind that if given the opportunity he could be one of the better centers in the league.

Even if he doesnt reach his ceiling i think that he will be as good as a Pachuila.

abe_froman
06-05-2009, 03:23 AM
someone will give him money to be a starter, just watch

GoatMilk
06-05-2009, 03:51 AM
Jerome James got the MLE!
5/30M!!!

yes Gortat!

Kyle916
06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
Underrated.

junion
06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
gortat is like one of those guys no one pays attention to and no one really cares about, but he can do some damage and really help a team. he's one of those 'unknown' players that go under the radar, but you can pick him up as a backup and he can really help your team

nyyfan4life
06-05-2009, 03:57 AM
He can probably average 8-10 ppg 8-10 rpg and 1-2 bpg...

Chronz
06-05-2009, 04:18 AM
I think hes ready for a bigger role

lakerboy
06-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Very decent back up. Hey if he comes dirt cheap, we can use him.

juggla53
06-05-2009, 05:00 AM
He played great when howard was suspended for game six of the quarter finals against philly getting something like 13 and 15 and whenever hes on the floor he does an excellent job in the magic'ss 4-wing offense. Somebody is deffinatley going to offer him good money and id be suprised if with turk's contract the magic would be able to afford him as well but if they have the money they should deffinatley invest in this guy because he's only going to get better

Kakaroach
06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Dallas should get him. Kidd's huge contract is coming off the book and Dampier isn't what he used to be. Gortat could fit in there nicely.

Tom81
06-05-2009, 08:43 AM
polska

Corey
06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Everyones been saying hes due for a big pay increase seeing as how hes a FA this summer. Van gundy himself saids they dont lose much defensively when hes in for Howard and hes a great rebounder and i also think he has pretty good hands (announcers also mentioned it). I doubt the magic will be able to hold on to him with many NBA teams needing a defensive minded and tough center. My question is how well do you think he can be as a starter with starter minutes in the league.

He currently avgs about 12.6 min and avgs 3.8 ppg 4.5 rpg and 0.8 bpg. Now being a starting center i think its fair to say he could do something like 10.2 ppg 11 RPG and 1.4 BPG. I think he can definitely be as good if not better than many other centers starting throughout the league like Andrew Bogut, Sam Dalembert, Joel Przybilla, Erick Dampier, and Kendrick Perkins just to name a few.

Thoughts?

He's a great backup, but he's nowhere close to as good as Bogut, Przybilla, Perkins, or even Dalembert.

Hoopsadvocate
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I think he can have a tyson chandler type breakout season next year if he starts. Averaging a double double nothing huge but something like 10-11 points and rpg. And if he has a decent passing all star along side him or a good pg watch out. Definitely will bring toughness. Oh i like the pachullia comparison as well except Gortat would be a better shot blocker.

ugottabjoshinme
06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
i think someone is going to overpay for him and then be disapointed

Highlight
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I honestly think the Thunder should try and sign him. They have the money to sign him and he can grow with the rest of their young guys.

They would finally get a big that has potential to be pretty damn good in this league in my opinion. Gortat has everything going for him. He has height, size, strength, and athleticism. Oh and he has a descent mid range game. This guy can honestly help anyone, but I think he can actually develop with a team like the Thunder.

Westbrook
Sefolosha
Durant
Green
Gortat

Now that team has some great potential.

And now they can use that number 3 pick for someone more prepared offensively for the NBA than Thabeet. Just my 2 cents.

lakers4sho
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Look at this guy's PER36 stats:

10.9PPG, 13.0RPG, .569FG, 2.4BPG

This guy can be a legitimate starter given the minutes.

By the way, what's up with Phoenix's wasted draft picks? Gortat just adds up to their pile of sold draft picks that either became decent or good players.

masalex1205
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
It was mentioned above, but I think any teams looking at Gortat should look at Pachullia. He's a tough player who has flown under the radar for the Hawks and should be more affordable than Gortat.

Chronz
06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
He's a great backup, but he's nowhere close to as good as Bogut, Przybilla, Perkins, or even Dalembert.
Pryzbilla?

Mallpha
06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I think Gortat is in a way coaches dream - big guy that actualy was able to learn a lot of those things that stats doesnt show but im not sure if his a natural basketball player despite his a good athlete.

His defense if good but what really disapoints me is his lack of self confidence on the offensive end and some sort of instinct lacks. Not sure if its right word but his offensive game looks a bit shy.

But i think he can be a legit starting center in the NBA but belive you have to teach him every little thing it wont come natural to him but he seams to be so determinated and sucha hard worker he will eventualy get it.

_Sn1P3r_
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Who knows. It's on thing to be a solid backup, another to make the jump to starter. Not sure if he's a guy I'd want to start for my team, I think he's a great backup, but probably not starter material at this point.

+1

He's a good back-up and the thing he has over Howard is he can spread the floor, but right now, he's just a back-up and not yet a starter.

shonk688
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd really like to see the Pacers pick him up.