PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James Fined $25,000

kingbrentg
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Was just reported on ESPN.

ManRam
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Okay. So NOW we can stop talking about it...

YAY!

...If only...the madness will never end...

...everyone loves LeBron talk...including everyone who comments in these threads and says they don't...like me.

kingbrentg
LOS ANGELES (AP) — NBA commissioner David Stern says LeBron James has been fined $25,000 for skipping the postgame news conference after Cleveland lost to Orlando in the Eastern Conference finals.

Stern said Thursday night that he spoke with the Cavaliers star on Wednesday and that James admitted he was wrong to not congratulate Orlando's players and coaches after the loss.

James had surgery Tuesday to remove a benign growth near his jaw. He told Stern to convey his apology to the media before Game 1 of the NBA finals between the Magic and Los Angeles Lakers.

Initially, Stern had said he wasn't going to fine James, but the commissioner said he reconsidered after thinking about it more.

Link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g44rZPBUbesDcVRCj5zjoS2QUBcgD98K68VG1)

kingbrentg
Okay. So NOW we can stop talking about it...

YAY!

...If only...the madness will never end...

...everyone loves LeBron talk...including everyone who comments in these threads and says they don't...like me.

:nod:

OG "Dee" LOCc
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I didn't know David Stern had the balls to do this, but thank god he did.

Eagles_Guy
06-04-2009, 08:34 PM
$25,000 is like a cup of coffee to Lebron.

marlinsfan24
06-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Stern has balls, nice to know

1-800-STFU
06-04-2009, 08:37 PM
LeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLe BronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBr onLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBron LeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBronLeBron

LeBron!

AirJesus26
06-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Is this "NBA" or "NLJ" (National LeBron James) ???

Trouble87
06-04-2009, 09:03 PM
you can get fined for not showing sportsmanship... thats bull****

Didn't like how King J handled himself; but since when is a personal choice something they can penalize you for?

Stern needs to fallback a lil

aNYer
06-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Didn't like how King J handled himself; but since when is a personal choice something they can penalize you for?

they don't give a crap about sportsmanship. You always get fined in most major sports for skipping the press conference. Its about them and their money/coverage.

Corey
06-04-2009, 09:28 PM

they don't give a crap about sportsmanship. You always get fined in most major sports for skipping the press conference. Its about them and their money/coverage.

Yep. The league doesn't care if he's a good sport or not, but contractually he has to go to the press conference after the game, and he didn't - hence the fine.

DJ CHACH
06-04-2009, 09:29 PM

they are just saying that he is getting fined..i bet u he doesnt hafta pay it, its just gonna be so that ppl cant say "preferential treatment"..since when does stern change his mind?

IBleedPurple
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Agreed. I thought the NBA's golden boy would get off with only a slap on the wrist.

This is the precedent that has been set for all major sports teams. Have you noticed the advertisements behing podiums, the extra commercial breaks between the interviews, the post game analysis. This all means money, and all sports have become a business.

dodie53
06-04-2009, 09:35 PM
nice move stern

cmellofan15
06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
"Initially, Stern had said he wasn't going to fine James"

Stern's balls dropped in the clutch.

Dynasty
06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
one word: recession

IndyRealist
06-04-2009, 11:06 PM
one word: recession

???

I'm pretty sure the money from fines goes to charity.

And the NBA got far more media coverage of Lebron NOT going to the press conference than if he did.

KiLLA RAiDER
06-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh wow the NBA took action against LeBron James?!

Fear_GAS_OLDier
06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP)—LeBron James(notes) knows he was wrong to snub the Magic and the media, and David Stern decided the NBA was wrong when it didn’t punish the MVP for it.

So the commissioner changed his mind and fined James $25,000 for skipping the postgame news conference after Cleveland lost to Orlando in the Eastern Conference finals.

Stern said Thursday night that he spoke with the Cavaliers star on Wednesday, a day after James had surgery to remove a benign growth near his jaw, and that James admitted he was wrong to not congratulate Orlando’s players and coaches after the loss.

“He asked that I express to the media, the Magic and the fans his apology, and particularly the young fans, because he knows he has a responsibility to all of our fans, and that sportsmanship is appropriate whether you win or whether you lose,” Stern said near the start of his annual NBA finals press conference.

“He understands why it was necessary for me to fine him $25,000 for missing the media availability.”

The league first said James wouldn’t be penalized, citing his usual cooperation with the press. Stern said he reconsidered after thinking about it more.

“Certainly as it related to the media, we have a rule, you guys know that we’ve had some interesting issues over the years with some of our coaches and the like, and it was inappropriate for me to give someone a pass here,” Stern said.

Also:

— Stern downplayed a congressman’s remarks about the league’s age limitation rule, noting that there’s also an age limit to be elected to Congress.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., sent identical letters to Stern and union leader Billy Hunter, asking that they scrap the requirement that players be 19 years old and a year out of high school in the next collective bargaining agreement.

“What the congressman didn’t understand, and we’ll be happy to share our view with him, this is not about the NCAA, this is not an enforcement of some social program, this is a business decision by the NBA, which is we like to see our players in competition after high school,” Stern said.

“I don’t know why our founders decided that age 25 was good for Congress, but I guess they thought that was about maturity, and for it’s different, it’s a kind of basketball maturity.”

— Stern said the league’s revenues could drop by as much as 10 percent next season, which league president Joel Litvin said would make a “significant impact” on the salary cap for the 2010-11 season, a summer when James could lead a stellar free agent class.

— Stern defended the work of his referees, adding they will eventually be helped by expanded instant replay, and said the technical foul system in which players are suspended a game in the postseason after accumulating seven, is working.

— The commissioner said he believes whoever the next owner of the Bobcats is will see the benefits of keeping the team in Charlotte. He previously hadn’t even commented on the news that Bob Johnson said he planned to sell the team after losing millions.

— Stern also said he would name his labor relations committee next week for collective bargaining negotiations with the players’ association. The sides plan talks this summer, even though the current agreement doesn’t expire for two years.

Though there are predictions of tense negotiations, Stern said there’s “a lot at stake and I’m optimistic” a deal can get done in time to avoid a work stoppage.

quiksilver2491
06-05-2009, 12:06 AM
Is this "NBA" or "NLJ" (National LeBron James) ???

It's people such as yourself that make it a bigger issue then it actually is. Of course any player of his skill set and stature is going to get a lot of attention.......regurgitating that hype in a negative manner only adds to the issue.

dos132
06-05-2009, 12:06 AM
thats a good news.... i thought you can snob media and press conference at NBA when you dont want to.. just what lebron did... nice one stern......

KB24PG16
06-05-2009, 12:26 AM
good

BTownTeamsRKing
06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
It has NOTHING to do with not congratulating the Magic. Its all about not going to the conference.

NYtilIdie
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
LOL he fined him for skipping the post-game press conference not for not showing good sportsmanship LOL this league is something else.

junion
06-05-2009, 01:33 AM
i just saw that lebron/kobe commercial with the puppets... lebron got that $25,000 back and then some.

f19ure
06-05-2009, 02:05 AM
LOL he fined him for skipping the post-game press conference not for not showing good sportsmanship LOL this league is something else.

Word.

Not shaking Dwight's and his teammate's hands doesn't merit all this bulls**t. I know in truth he was fined for failing to appear at a post-game conference, but that's even more ridiculous.

I can understand fining a player for skipping practice, because it's their job (their payed to do that). I can understand fining a player who refuses to play in games they could have played in (for whatever personal reasons; their payed to play). I can understand fining a player for striking another member of his team or an opposing team's player (their not payed to get in scuffles). But, to fine somebody for not showing up at a post-game conference, that's a pile load of s**t. Fact of the matter is, it isn't your job to engage in idle talk. That's what you have agents and lawyers for, to talk in your place. Granted, they're not going to be at every game. But, if the media wants to get answers so bad then they should make an effort to contact the people who are in a better situation to answer those questions. Rather than ask someone who just played 48 minutes of running up and down a ball-court and got his heart torn out to boot. James was in no shape to talk, physically or mentally. Like he said, he'd been beat up, the best thing to do at a time like that, is to recuperate.

As for showmanship, you don't have to shake somebody's hand in order to be a "fair loser" (whatever that means). Not letting your hurt emotions ('cuz losing hurts - for anyone that does) and frustrations get to you is a bigger show of good sportsmanship. Remember, when Kobe lost in the first round to the Suns in '07, he shook their hands, went to the press conference. But he also did this (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/kobe-bryant-video-tirade-to-be-released-later-this-week-ar44268.html). I'm pretty sure that after that video was released, Kobe's good showmanship at the end of his first-round exit made an iota of difference. :laugh2:

ink
06-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Yep. The league doesn't care if he's a good sport or not, but contractually he has to go to the press conference after the game, and he didn't - hence the fine.

:nod:

magichatnumber9
06-05-2009, 08:29 AM
On ESPN David Stern is quoted,"I will not fine Lebron James." Now all the sudden the guy is fining him $25,000. Now I am not going to pretend to know what was said during there meeting. But it is obvious that the Commissioner was not impressed. Is there now a rift between the Golden Boy and David Stern?

lakers4sho
06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
No.

AIverson
06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
No.

Saint Brian
06-05-2009, 09:17 AM
No. I think Stern just realized that if he didn't do something with LeBron, other stars would act the same way and use the same excuse. Stern didn't want to set that prescidence.

magichatnumber9
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Stern loses credibility to me. If you say something that should be it. And we shouldn't be all critical of NFL commish RG and just let D-Stern run wild.

magichatnumber9
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Stern loses credibility to me. If you say something, that should be it.

Hellcrooner
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe Lebron said he was staying in cleveland instead of putting the Gold in "golden apple" and stern was furious.

Sly Guy
06-05-2009, 10:57 AM
No. I think Stern just realized that if he didn't do something with LeBron, other stars would act the same way and use the same excuse. Stern didn't want to set that prescidence.

I think this is it. But I'd really like it if there were a rift. Then maybe Stern would stop sucking his ****

masalex1205
06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I think it's a problem about how disproportional the fines these guys are getting compared to their overall salary. $25,000 is nothing to Lebron James but $100,000 would probably make him mind his manners. I know this is a lot but it's not liking Stern is hoarding this money in his basement, Im pretty sure it goes to charity.

The amount would have to be proportional with the salary so a guy making the league minimum wouldn't be fined as much as a guy making the max.

NBA_Starter
06-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Oh well that will be the end of that.:crosses fingers:

NotVeryOriginal
06-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Word.

Not shaking Dwight's and his teammate's hands doesn't merit all this bulls**t. I know in truth he was fined for failing to appear at a post-game conference, but that's even more ridiculous.

I can understand fining a player for skipping practice, because it's their job (their payed to do that). I can understand fining a player who refuses to play in games they could have played in (for whatever personal reasons; their payed to play). I can understand fining a player for striking another member of his team or an opposing team's player (their not payed to get in scuffles). But, to fine somebody for not showing up at a post-game conference, that's a pile load of s**t. Fact of the matter is, it isn't your job to engage in idle talk. That's what you have agents and lawyers for, to talk in your place. Granted, they're not going to be at every game. But, if the media wants to get answers so bad then they should make an effort to contact the people who are in a better situation to answer those questions. Rather than ask someone who just played 48 minutes of running up and down a ball-court and got his heart torn out to boot. James was in no shape to talk, physically or mentally. Like he said, he'd been beat up, the best thing to do at a time like that, is to recuperate.

As for showmanship, you don't have to shake somebody's hand in order to be a "fair loser" (whatever that means). Not letting your hurt emotions ('cuz losing hurts - for anyone that does) and frustrations get to you is a bigger show of good sportsmanship. Remember, when Kobe lost in the first round to the Suns in '07, he shook their hands, went to the press conference. But he also did this (http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/kobe-bryant-video-tirade-to-be-released-later-this-week-ar44268.html). I'm pretty sure that after that video was released, Kobe's good showmanship at the end of his first-round exit made an iota of difference. :laugh2:

Actually it is your job to engage in idle talk, thats why Nike, Verizon, Microsoft, Wal Mart, Haliberton, and China inc pay the NBA with billions, which eventually trickles down to the millions they are giving you.

azkarraga
06-06-2009, 09:36 AM
this is getting ridiculous. i'm fed up with all this LBJ noise.

jrodmesche
06-06-2009, 09:48 AM
stern you ****ing *** sto fining the ****ing players