PDA

View Full Version : Kobe teaches the world how to travel on YouTube...

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Well, he calls it a pump fake but it sure looks like a travel to me. I have seen him do this in games and been outraged so many times at him getting away with it. Here it is in slow motion with him teaching you in his own words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmdHIIMTbQ&feature=related

You can see he travels on the pump fake when both feet come slightly off the floor and on the up and under when he changes feet to jump for the shot. Basically the same move he used against Houston when he did that off-the-backboard pass to himself.

You have been given great knowledge by a master of his craft. Use it wisely.

Lakersfan2483
06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
What's the purpose in creating a thread like this? Pointless.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM
It's not a travel. Learn basketball bud.

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
:pity: It's a shame really.

IRUAM #21
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Stop this madness.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
:pity: It's a shame really.

:laugh: Did you watch the video? You do realize that you are allowed a pivot foot, right? This is elementary stuff, people! :pity:

lakers4sho
06-04-2009, 05:10 PM
It's called pivot. Use it wisely.

sp1derm00
omg, kobe pivoted.

DrDEADalready
:laugh: Did you watch the video? You do realize that you are allowed a pivot foot, right? This is elementary stuff, people! :pity:

No I didn't watch it. it's blocked at work. But i'm going with my gut on this one. :pity: on kobe.

badinger7
06-04-2009, 05:11 PM
not a travel...

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 05:12 PM
No I didn't watch it. it's blocked at work. But i'm going with my gut on this one. :pity: on kobe.

:laugh2: Your gut is **** muh man. It's actually not even a question of whether he traveled or not. It is simply the use of a pivot (in the video, Kobe spins with one foot as the pivot...nothing that isn't learned in grade school). :shrug:

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
:laugh2: Your gut is **** muh man. It's actually not even a question of whether he traveled or not. It is simply the use of a pivot (in the video, Kobe spins with one foot as the pivot...nothing that isn't learned in grade school). :shrug:

Question is. Did he pick up his Pivot foot? ehh??? ehh???

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Question is. Did he pick up his Pivot foot? ehh??? ehh???

Nope. He uses the same pivot foot bud.

G-Menfan4lyfe
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Kobe and Lebron travel more than anybody.... Traveling today is not the same as it was 10 years ago, face it

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Nope. He uses the same pivot foot bud.

I ain't your bud, Pal. :cool:

ElMarroAfamado
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
JooordaN!

G-Menfan4lyfe
06-04-2009, 05:22 PM

I aint your Pal, Friend. :smoking:

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 05:22 PM

I ain't your pal, bud. :eyebrow:

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I aint your Pal, Friend. :smoking:

I ain't your pal, bud. :eyebrow:

Gosh dang it. I'm getting double teamed now. :( and it hurts so bad. :cry:

I dunno what to say.

lakers4sho
06-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

But what if I like the game but hate the player?
Then what am I suppose to do?

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Watch the video. When he pump fakes both his feet are off the floor. When he pivots w/ the left he then steps through and jumps off his right. That is called changing the pivot foot, which is a travel. The point of the thread, for the guy who asked, I found the video on youtube and found it to be entertaining. I think it's really funny that in a tutorial on how to "execute" Kobe's signature move he doesn't bother to maintain the same pivot all the way through the move. I understand if in the game he does something different in the heat of competition but this is on a soundstage with extras. He could at least honor the rules of basketball when he is being held up as the standard for how to perform this move.

Er1c
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Watch the video. When he pump fakes both his feet are off the floor. When he pivots w/ the left he then steps through and jumps off his right. That is called changing the pivot foot, which is a travel. The point of the thread, for the guy who asked, I found the video on youtube and found it to be entertaining. I think it's really funny that in a tutorial on how to "execute" Kobe's signature move he doesn't bother to maintain the same pivot all the way through the move. I understand if in the game he does something different in the heat of competition but this is on a soundstage with extras. He could at least honor the rules of basketball when he is being held up as the standard for how to perform this move.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry:

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 05:30 PM
But what if I like the game but hate the player?
Then what am I suppose to do?

LOL. :laugh:

Btw, very appropriate comment from a House fan.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 05:32 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry:

Great job. Now that you've mastered that clicking on emoticons thing maybe you can learn to use your keyboard and let me know if you have a point to make.

Mane
06-04-2009, 05:34 PM
ZOMG NO PIVUTZ ALLOWED.

aka that definitely WASN'T a travel.

DodgerLove
06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
MPS, How do you pump fake with both feet off the floor? Isn't that a jump shot?

Lakerfrk
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
This is hilarious... only for Kobe do things like this come up....

kingkobe
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Wow. what a fail. When he jumps after the pivot its called jumping. Just like in a jumpshot. You expect him to pivot and then jump on one leg? You are allowed to jump using both feet.

kingkobe
06-04-2009, 06:33 PM
And its amazing how some people are ready to believe anything negative about Kobe w/o even watching the video themselves. Truly pathetic.:pity:

madiaz3
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
When even the idiots of the youtube community are not calling it a travel in the comments, you know it is not a travel.

Hawkeye15
06-04-2009, 06:36 PM
well, his feet barely left the ground on that slow mo shot of his feet, but that isn't even noticeable if real time action. That didn't look like a travel to me. And in the NBA, it has to be blatant anyways. The backspin move is really nice. Great control

dos132
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
the video are good....

GregOden#1
06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
It is a travel but they don't call it anymore. Anyone can do it, not just Kobe. It's like the two step jump stop which before was a travel but now is legal. Same thing as palming the ball, it was a travel in the 80's in order to give an advantage to an aging Jordan they started allowing it, it's even worse now.

And lol@at the pissed off Laker fans. Great posts guys.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
When even the idiots of the youtube community are not calling it a travel in the comments, you know it is not a travel.

So are you saying that you agree or are like-minded with idiots?

Verbal Christ
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
people should know not to say anything negative about KOBE on PSD, its like in the terms of agreement.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
well, his feet barely left the ground on that slow mo shot of his feet, but that isn't even noticeable if real time action. That didn't look like a travel to me. And in the NBA, it has to be blatant anyways. The backspin move is really nice. Great control

Oh, you're right but if your feet leave the ground and you come back down with the ball in hand that is a travel. I didn't say that the pump fake travel would get called in the game. And you're also right that the spin move is pretty. Where so many of you are wrong is that you believe that a person is allowed to jump out of a pivot with the other foot. If your pivot foot doesn't leave the ground last or at the same time as the other foot it is a travel.

You can tell from my sig that I'm not a Kobe fan but if this were any other player doing this move it would make it no less a travel. All the blind defense for one's own team and players is what is making this thread take a turn toward negative town.

madiaz3
06-04-2009, 06:56 PM
So are you saying that you agree or are like-minded with idiots?

Nice try.
Youtube commenters are among the first to jump on top of a vid with traveling accusations, the fact that they aren't is a testament to how silly it is to be complaining about a pivot move that isn't even showed in real time.

Teeboy1487
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
It is a travel but they don't call it anymore. Anyone can do it, not just Kobe. It's like the two step jump stop which before was a travel but now is legal. Same thing as palming the ball, it was a travel in the 80's in order to give an advantage to an aging Jordan they started allowing it, it's even worse now.

And lol@at the pissed off Laker fans. Great posts guys. Know one is pissed off. We are just stating facts that's all my friend. ;)

Hawkeye15
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh, you're right but if your feet leave the ground and you come back down with the ball in hand that is a travel. I didn't say that the pump fake travel would get called in the game. And you're also right that the spin move is pretty. Where so many of you are wrong is that you believe that a person is allowed to jump out of a pivot with the other foot. If your pivot foot doesn't leave the ground last or at the same time as the other foot it is a travel.

You can tell from my sig that I'm not a Kobe fan but if this were any other player doing this move it would make it no less a travel. All the blind defense for one's own team and players is what is making this thread take a turn toward negative town.

yes, when they show his feet, that is a travel technically. But it is so hard to see that in real time, he will never get called for it. The pros are the best at pushing the limits of the rules. This is no different. They should have reviewed that video first, I am sure many times he doesn't travel

VCaintdead17
06-04-2009, 07:06 PM
kobekobekobekobekobekobekobekobekobekobekobekobeko bekobekobekobekobekobekobekobe

silvTeg98
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
haha what a hater!!

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
LOL @ anybody who thinks that's a travel. I guess they have never heard of the pivot foot.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
yes, when they show his feet, that is a travel technically. But it is so hard to see that in real time, he will never get called for it. The pros are the best at pushing the limits of the rules. This is no different. They should have reviewed that video first, I am sure many times he doesn't travel

Two very good points and essentially what I was getting at in the beginning. The video is flawed and shouldn't have been released as is but it calls to attention the fact that on his "signature" move he does indeed travel and I have noticed it many times in games. I pretty much posted it to see how many people would actually admit that on that move he does travel sometimes. As I predicted no Lakers fans have been able to face facts.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Two very good points and essentially what I was getting at in the beginning. The video is flawed and shouldn't have been released as is but it calls to attention the fact that on his "signature" move he does indeed travel and I have noticed it many times in games. I pretty much posted it to see how many people would actually admit that on that move he does travel sometimes. As I predicted no Lakers fans have been able to face facts.

He didn't travel bud. I'm being serious. If he traveled, I'd own up to it. It's ****ing video for Christ's sake. The fact remains that there is a close-up on his spin and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that it is not a travel. As a matter of fact, there is literally no question as to whether it is a travel or not. Good day sir.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 07:34 PM
LOL @ anybody who thinks that's a travel. I guess they have never heard of the pivot foot.

In the video the left foot is the pivot foot- masterfully used. However, when he raises to show what he would do next, he steps into a jump off of the right foot. That would be a change of pivot foot. Changing the pivot foot is a travel. Let me know where I am wrong.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 07:36 PM
In the video the left foot is the pivot foot- masterfully used. However, when he raises to show what he would do next, he steps into a jump off of the right foot. That would be a change of pivot foot. Changing the pivot foot is a travel. Let me know where I am wrong.

May God bless your soul.

ARMIN12NBA
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I assume you are talking about the 1 mark to the 1:10 mark. I watched it 3 times...His left foot is the pivot foot the entire time buddy. Not much more to say or see.

Hawkeye15
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
He didn't travel bud. I'm being serious. If he traveled, I'd own up to it. It's ****ing video for Christ's sake. The fact remains that there is a close-up on his spin and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that it is not a travel. As a matter of fact, there is literally no question as to whether it is a travel or not. Good day sir.

at 39 seconds, his pivot foot slides about an inch as he sets it. It is technically a travel. But, again, in real time, you would never notice it

Hawkeye15
06-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I assume you are talking about the 1 mark to the 1:10 mark. I watched it 3 times...His left foot is the pivot foot the entire time buddy. Not much more to say or see.

no, that part is not a travel. That is a sweet move

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 07:41 PM

I never said that the spin itself is traveling. The change in pivot foot is the travel after the spin. What part of that statement is unclear to you?

May God bless your soul.

I love when guys take choose the losing side of an argument and can't admit it. God bless you too brother- and I'm not saying that sarcastically.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM

At 1:08 when Kobe is actually performing the move, as he comes out of the very nice spin move he begins to lean forward. The continuation of that is going to be a travel. It would be physically impossible with that momentum and that center of gravity that he would be able to jump off of his pivot foot. He will inevitably take a step with that right foot in order to leave the ground. Don't believe me? Look at his motion at 1:11 when he mocks jumping against the big. Even just walking through it he is raising off of his right foot and is dragging the left, his pivot, which would be traveling.

basketfan4life
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Kobe and Lebron travel more than anybody.... Traveling today is not the same as it was 10 years ago, face it

don't bring these two names together in every damned topic please...lebron travels a lot and they don't call it.but Kobe,i don't think so,his game looks so beautiful and i don't see him travel a lot.

_KB24_
06-04-2009, 08:29 PM
This thread is pointless and is just because you have something against Kobe. He pivoted and did not raise his foot. Lebron should make a video that explains his crab-dribble. I would love to see him do that.