PDA

View Full Version : An idea to fix NBA officiating

hotpotato1092
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Look, we all know that the officiating in the NBA is well... Awful. I think the biggest problem is that most refs don't really have a feel for the game (not including the league favoring stars). So here's my plan: train retired players to be refs. Think about it, tons of retired players have financial difficulties so the league would be offering them jobs, they definitely know the rules and know when calls need to be made and when they don't need to, and I'm guessing they're less likely to give super stars every call because most of these guys would be scrubs who need money and know what it's like not to get calls because of a star and would try to be fair about it. For fairness the league could say that players couldn't work games involving their former teams. Thoughts? I think it's at least better than having Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta and Bennett Salvatore calling fouls on Courtney Lee for breathing on LeBron.

DLeeicious
06-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I think we should make robots trained to ref flawless games personally. Of course they would have a soft touch to be able to toss jump balls and also to not mark up the floor when they run up and down the court.

IRUAM #21
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I think we should make robots trained to ref flawless games personally. Of course they would have a soft touch to be able to toss jump balls and also to not mark up the floor when they run up and down the court.

x2

JordansBulls
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Look, we all know that the officiating in the NBA is well... Awful. I think the biggest problem is that most refs don't really have a feel for the game (not including the league favoring stars). So here's my plan: train retired players to be refs. Think about it, tons of retired players have financial difficulties so the league would be offering them jobs, they definitely know the rules and know when calls need to be made and when they don't need to, and I'm guessing they're less likely to give super stars every call because most of these guys would be scrubs who need money and know what it's like not to get calls because of a star and would try to be fair about it. For fairness the league could say that players couldn't work games involving their former teams. Thoughts? I think it's at least better than having Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta and Bennett Salvatore calling fouls on Courtney Lee for breathing on LeBron.

That wouldn't work too well IMO. You could end up having guys who dislike one another as the ref.

AIsixersFK
06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
i have a great way to fix the nba officiating.......have the officials stop FIXING games

MoBASS
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Here's an idea: use some refs that aren't 60, 70 years old.

This is getting ridiculous.

DrDEADalready
06-04-2009, 05:22 PM
i have a great way to fix the nba officiating.......have the officials stop FIXING games

Oh snap.... You stole what i was going to say. Mind reader.

sp1derm00
06-04-2009, 05:31 PM
I have an idea.

Have the NBA donate significant amounts of money to churches towards any good cause the church decides. In exchange, monks would learn how to officiate through a process of reffing through practices for NBA teams along with a "head ref" that would mentor them.

carlo
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
1) Allow teams to have 2 replay challenges per game. No replays for judgment calls (personal fouls). Replay must be conclusive to overturn original call.

2) Get rid of that damn semi circle under the rim. Allow more contact in the lane, so ref doesn't feel obligated to have to call a whimpy charge or block. I'm so sick of all these ticky tack body fouls being called when a defender tries to defend the lane. The calls s/b obvious otherwise .... let em play.

3) Please ! someone please fix that call when an offensive player jumps into the defender, but gets the call ala Reggie Miller. Too much leeway is given to the offensive player these days for the sake of more points which equals higher ratings I guess. Unfortunately, they're killing the game.

4) Superstar calls MUST END. They get the extra step, they initiate the contact yet get the call in their favor. Let Dwade or whoever complain all they want and then T em up ....lol .... they'll learn really quick that they're not bigger than the game.

I love the way college games are called. Maybe we should hire the college refs.

Dynasty
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM

:laugh2:

theuuord
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
stop this madness.

VCaintdead17
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Refs should have land mines.

There.

I said it.

It was all on our minds.

And I said it.

Gro_Da_Fro_Back
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Ive been saying this for months

TheWaterboy
06-04-2009, 10:58 PM

If robots called every foul,everyone would foul out and there would be touch fouls on every play. There are tons of fouls in the nba the refs never call, and its a good thing they don't.

Ironman5219
06-04-2009, 11:07 PM
1) Allow teams to have 2 replay challenges per game. No replays for judgment calls (personal fouls). Replay must be conclusive to overturn original call.

2) Get rid of that damn semi circle under the rim. Allow more contact in the lane, so ref doesn't feel obligated to have to call a whimpy charge or block. I'm so sick of all these ticky tack body fouls being called when a defender tries to defend the lane. The calls s/b obvious otherwise .... let em play.

3) Please ! someone please fix that call when an offensive player jumps into the defender, but gets the call ala Reggie Miller. Too much leeway is given to the offensive player these days for the sake of more points which equals higher ratings I guess. Unfortunately, they're killing the game.

4) Superstar calls MUST END. They get the extra step, they initiate the contact yet get the call in their favor. Let Dwade or whoever complain all they want and then T em up ....lol .... they'll learn really quick that they're not bigger than the game.

Best post in the thread.... X2

DLeeicious
06-04-2009, 11:08 PM
If robots called every foul,everyone would foul out and there would be touch fouls on every play. There are tons of fouls in the nba the refs never call, and its a good thing they don't.

A) I was really kidding.

B) I did say they would ref the games flawlessly so that includes letting touch fouls go.

LA_cabals
06-05-2009, 12:01 AM

:clap::clap::clap:

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Add a few more 'improvements' to this list and start an online pettion.

AIverson
06-05-2009, 04:39 AM
1.) Don't call **** that you don't even see. How many times do these refs call what they think is going to happen rather then waiting to see what actually happens? It's gets to the point were Refs just seem to be making crap up out there.

2.)Stop fixing games, but this isn't going to happen. One of the biggest reasons championships mean nothing in the NBA.

3.)Super star calls GTFO.

Storch
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
How about no blood no foul? :D

kbaxter34
06-05-2009, 03:45 PM
^yes.

Why have refs at all. Players call their own fouls. Take it to the blacktop

Hellcrooner
06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
only thing that needs fixing is they need to call FAIRLY

and that means no Star Calls and no Homer Calls.

If kobe or lebron wacks smush parker its a foul if brevin knight barely touches Deron or C paul is NOT a fouls

If Dwight or Wade go and protest a call they get a technicall just as marcin gortat would.

If home team player whacks away player he is called a foul

simpel as that.

carlo
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
1.) Don't call **** that you don't even see. How many times do these refs call what they think is going to happen rather then waiting to see what actually happens? It's gets to the point were Refs just seem to be making crap up out there.

2.)Stop fixing games, but this isn't going to happen. One of the biggest reasons championships mean nothing in the NBA.

3.)Super star calls GTFO.

I've seen on waaaaay too many occasions where the refs decide the outcome of a playoff series. Fortunately, my team hasn't seen the playoffs for many years, so I don't care about the bad officiating, but if it was my team I'd be soooo pissed.

And it's true ..... they anticipate calls and blow the whistle. There's no freakin way someone can possibly see all these calls happen at warp speed and blow the whistle simultaneously. The brain needs some miliseconds to proccess close calls, no ? Some calls are obvious and called quickly (no problem with that), others though should require more thought IMO. I think it's funny sometimes when there's a late whistle and people complain about the ref ...lol .I think that s/b normal to some extent. Think about the call ..... see where the contact drives the bodies ..... see if a flop is in the making. I'm not saying blow the whistle 5 seconds after the fact, but maybe 2 or 3 seconds to give a human being a fair shot at making the right call or NO CALL.

My point is if you're gonna try and make all the calls at least put some thought into some of the close calls and get them more right then they do today. I'd rather see no calls for the ticky tack, body to body flop crap though. But w/e .... do something different !

And also ..... what happened to the flop call ? or is that hockey ...lol. If it's b-ball i've never seen it called.

MickeyMgl
06-06-2009, 02:11 AM

I don't know if this would necessarily improve officiating, but the one current NBA official who did play in the league (Leon Wood, unless there is another I don't know of) is one of the better ones, IMO.

MickeyMgl
06-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Robots!

Kyle N.
06-06-2009, 09:28 PM

Well then maybe the players will start playing defense.

Kabowdos
06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Terrible idea. The players will be biased to their friends and ex-teammates. It is a terrible idea. Biased towards the organization they played for.