PDA

View Full Version : What's next for the New Orleans Hornets?

JordansBulls
06-04-2009, 12:13 PM
What's next for the New Orleans Hornets?

They still have a good team, but they regressed a lot this past year. It seemed as if they would be true contenders last year, but that wasn't the case. What do they need to do to get better and be legit contenders around their franchise player CP3?

Is David West good enough as a 2nd option on that team?

Also here are the ages of their marquee players.

Chandler is 27
CP3 is 24
Peja is 32
West is 29

29$JerZ
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Peja Might retire so I bet they are hoping his contract and come off the books with a forced retirement.

They need to figure out if Tyson is the C for them or ship him for a SG.

king4day
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
They should do whatever they can to rid themselves of Chandler or Peja.
If they dump peja, they have a lot of cap room left instead of worrying about him being injured all the time.
The fortunate thing about their team is, they don't have to rebuild to contend again. Just some tweaking.
If they dealth Chandler and change for Shaq, they can still compete at a very high level while having a major cap space released after this year.

MJ-BULLS
06-04-2009, 12:38 PM
peja is not getting any younger and think that he will retire soon, IMO they should get rasheed wallace he can hit the 3

lakers4sho
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
They're not winning anything with that group so I'd consider moving Chandler and/or David West.

whoakid
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
they gotta move chandler or west. No one wants peja's contract. They also need some bench help

Lakers4ItAll
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
They need to get healthy 1st then make a few moves but they are in a better position than alot of teams

knickjames23
06-04-2009, 01:13 PM
move chandler .... peja is done and out he got nothing in him no more hornets should start rebuilding that team around cp3

Super.
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Sheed could help this team

IndyRealist
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
West is a 2nd/3rd option, especially with Chris Paul on the team.

If Peja is retiring, trade Posey, Chandler, Butler, Peja and and an unprotected first round pick for Dirk Nowtizki, and Erick Dampier. Instant championship: CP3, Mo Peterson, Dirk Nowitzki, David West, Erick Dampier.

Or take out Nowitzki and insert Josh Howard and Jason Terry, and New Orleans throws in a lottery protected pick. CP3, Jason Terry, Josh Howard, David West, Erick Dampier.

In both cases, Dallas gets cap relief from Peja retiring, young atheletes in Chandler and Butler, a veteran defender in Posey, and draft picks.

Blah Blah Blah
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
They need to get a bench. plain and simple. Their starting 5 is great but their bench is pretty bad. Dumping Peja's contract would be a huge plus for this team. I think West is a half way decent 2nd option.

GregOden#1
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Peja retiring has no effect on his contract. It stays on the books regardless of what happens to Peja.

RocketsRule
06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Peja retiring has no effect on his contract. It stays on the books regardless of what happens to Peja.

No, that's a false statement. If Peja retires, his contract does not count against the cap.

Anyways, here's what I believe they should do.

1) Trade Chandler for All-Star Caliber wing-man, ala Vince Carter
2) Sign Rasheed Wallace to play the Center position.
3) Re-sign Jeremy Pargo to back up Chris Paul
4) Look for a quality big in the draft to back up Wallace and West

Chronz
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
No, that's a false statement. If Peja retires, his contract does not count against the cap.

Anyways, here's what I believe they should do.

1) Trade Chandler for All-Star Caliber wing-man, ala Vince Carter
2) Sign Rasheed Wallace to play the Center position.
3) Re-sign Jeremy Pargo to back up Chris Paul
4) Look for a quality big in the draft to back up Wallace and West

It still counts against the CAP dude, for atleast 2 years after his last game

jimbobjarree
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
...the offseason is next for the Hornets

RocketsRule
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
It still counts against the CAP dude, for atleast 2 years after his last game

Oh really? Don't know why I thought differently.

IndyRealist
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Actually, GregOden#1 is right. Only New Orleans can apply for the medically forced retirement exception, unless Peja plays for another team and then retires due to injury.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q53

DerekRE_3
06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
The kings had a similar situation with Shareef Adbur Rahim. League doctors confirmed that his inury was career ending and the Kings got salary cap relief because of it.

JordansBulls
06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Sheed could help this team

I'm not sure about that. Rasheed averaged 12 and 7 last year on 41% and in the playoffs was worse averaging 7 and 6.

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh really? Don't know why I thought differently.

If Peja retires due to injuries, his contract will not count against the cap. Insurance picks it up.

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Hornets should trade Chandler to OKC, Memphis or Detroit. He could help any of those teams, and they have plenty of cap for him. NO should be happy if they got any of these in return - pick #15 from Detroit, pick #25 from OKC, or pick #27 from Memphis. NO has got to get under the luxury. They can't afford to be over or the city might lose the team. Chandler is good, but that team should be fine with CP, West, Posey and company. OKC, Memphis and Detroit could really use a guy like Chandler.

mavwar53
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
If Peja retires due to injuries, his contract will not count against the cap. Insurance picks it up.

Exactly and plain and simple it makes no sense for it to count against them.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 03:41 PM
...the offseason is next for the Hornets

Yes right here.

If Peja retires then his contract will be gone in 2010, the big FA year. We got a MLE to use( IMO for Pargo)

Daniels is good to trade because of his contract. Chandler is still very good to trade, he isnt a bad player he is just overpaid. I want to keep West but if we gotta trade him we gotta trade him. Keep CP3 and Wright adn then build a team with them.

Missing56&33
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I dont know? No seemed to be on the right track after they beat SA a few years back but struggled last year and got straight up spanked by Denver. I like DW and TC and they have CP3 and Peja but the Knicks came in and handled them on their own court last year :pity; When things start to fall apart like that its usually the coaches fault.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Sheed would not be a good pickup for us in any way. He is about the end of his days.

Gibby23
06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
They need to make a play for Amare.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldnt mind Amare. but for what?

Gibby23
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I wouldnt mind Amare. but for what?

West, Wright, and a 1st rounder.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Yea right maybe West Daniels and a first for Amare and someone not good

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Yes right here.

If Peja retires then his contract will be gone in 2010, the big FA year. We got a MLE to use( IMO for Pargo)

Daniels is good to trade because of his contract. Chandler is still very good to trade, he isnt a bad player he is just overpaid. I want to keep West but if we gotta trade him we gotta trade him. Keep CP3 and Wright adn then build a team with them.

Trade Chandler but don't bring back much salary money if any (that's why you trade him to OKC, Memphis or Detroit). This move gets them under the luxury. Keep Daniels because NO needs expirings. Use some of the MLE on Pargo. Draft big men with both draft picks. Suck it up next year, but breath a little easier next year because Butler and Daniels will definitely both be off the books and maybe Peja too. Dumping Chandler gets NO out of luxury hole.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Im not a 100% sure on the Luxury Tax, if we are under do we have to pay it? And how did we get the Luxury Tax or do all teams have it?

KeithLBC
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Fire Scott & go after Avery Johnson :D

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
ewwww and leave Scott out there, look what happened to NJ when they tried firing Scott

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Im not a 100% sure on the Luxury Tax, if we are under do we have to pay it? And how did we get the Luxury Tax or do all teams have it?

The luxury tax this year was $71.2 million. Anything over that amount would be a dollar for dollar tax. If you are under, you actually get money from the other teams who go over the luxury tax. For example, I think every team under the luxury will get around $2 million this year.

Next year, the luxury tax will probably lower to $70 million due to the economy. Right now, NO has $77.5+ in contracts for next season. If they dumped Chandler ($12 million), they'd have enough to add Pargo and their draft picks and be about at the luxury. Going over the luxury would cost this team greatly.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 04:27 PM
o0o Thanks for explaining it to me.

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
o0o Thanks for explaining it to me.

No worries.

NO tried to trade Chandler for Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox last year because they were expirings. Had that trade stood, NO would be sitting pretty right now. Hopefully, they can find a way to trade Chandler and get something back too.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I think we should trade Chandler for a SG/SF, and draft BJ Mullens... or

trade Chandler for a center and draft t. Williams, or someone athletic that plays the SG/Sf position. I would rather Butler in our starting rotation over Peja.

Patrick Swayze
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Fire GM Jeff Bower.

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
NO should be happy to just get rid of Chandler's contract. If they got anything in return, they should be happy. They shouldn't take back much in contracts if any because they can't afford it. If they could trade Chandler to Detroit for Amir Johnson and #15, that would be a great trade for both teams and NO would save almost $8 million. NO could draft Mullens at #15 and the best player at #21, they wouldn't miss Tyson too badly.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I'd rather Peja's contract gone first. Especially when Chandler can still play and Peja can't

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Of course you would, but nobody wants Peja and his bloated contract. CP3 is untradable. West has too good a contract, so he shouldn't be traded. Peja is washed up and overpaid so he's untradeable. Chandler is the next guy on the list. He makes a ton, but he plays D and rebounds and he's only 27. He's not as important as West, so he's got to go.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Yea, I wish someone is as dumb enough to take Pejas contract though.

mikantsass
06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
What's next for the New Orleans Hornets?

They still have a good team, but they regressed a lot this past year. It seemed as if they would be true contenders last year, but that wasn't the case. What do they need to do to get better and be legit contenders around their franchise player CP3?

Is David West good enough as a 2nd option on that team?

Also here are the ages of their marquee players.

Chandler is 27
CP3 is 24
Peja is 32
West is 29

I agree with everyone else in this forum...

Get rid of Peja, get rid of Chandler

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 05:01 PM
NO not GET RID OF Chandler, trade him for something in return. Its not like no one wants him.

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Every team knows that NO is trying to dump Chandler. They just completed that trade with OKC where they dumped him for two expirings. If they get anything for Chandler, they should be happy. It's just like Camby last year - Denver traded him away for a 2nd rounder. Sure Camby is 5 years older, but it's still the same principle.

Lakersfan2483
06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
They need to add depth on their bench and get a better shooting guard. Also, they need to add depth in their frontcourt.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
^^^
I sort of agree, but not hat we need to get a better SG, We need a better SF. Like I said I'd rather Rasual over Peja

Lo Porto
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
If they get rid of Chandler, they could use the expirings of Daniels and Butler to get somebody really good. There will be a lot of players getting dumped due to the economy or because teams want to open up cap space for 2010. Daniels and Butler combine to make over $10 million in expiring contracts.

Maybe NO could trade those two for Maggette, Kaman, Richard Jefferson, or Vince Carter. All of those players could be available. Or what if NO traded Chandler, Daniels and Butler to get Shaq? NO would save almost $3 million in salaries and sell more tickets.

Vinny642
06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
I rly hope the economy gets fixxed, I heard sometime around the end of the year, so things can go back to normal

Kakaroach
06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I have always wondered, WTF happened to Mo Peterson? I know they signed Jame Posey and the emergence of Rasual Butler, but this guy was a starter last season. They also need to get healthy first.

GiantMetKnick
06-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I think David West would be a great 3rd option, and Peja can really help round out a championship lineup with that deadly jay of his. Chandler can stay, solid player. Obviously CP3 is the franchise.

So, what this team could really use then is a SG who could be a 2nd option. Vince Carter would be great, maybe even Ben Gordon could work. Realistically, VC is possible because NJ could dump him to get more cap flexibility for 2010. Since he's owed a little over 16 million next year, and is under contract for the following year, one plausible trade would be:

Vince Carter to the Hornets FOR Antonio Daniels (6.6 M expiring), Rasual Butler (4 Million expiring), Morris Peterson (6.2 M but not expiring until 2011), and a future draft pick. Thus, the Hornets get their 2nd option scorer, and the Nets gain 10 million in cap flexibility for 2010, plus Morris Peterson (who will come off the books the next year). I threw the draft pick in there because New Jersey still would probably want more compensation.

Great trade for the Hornets, and I think if that draft pick is a 1st rounder, the Nets might go for it.

GiantMetKnick
06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
So that would leave the Hornets with a championship contending lineup...

PG - Paul
SG - Vince Carter
SF - Peja
PF - West
C - Tyson Chandler

6th Man - Posey

Hawkeye15
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Chandler is gone. They already tried to trade him. They need an upgrade at SG badly, and depth. The Posey signing was stupid, but that is the only handicap they have. Daniels becomes an expiring deal this summer, that may be used, but they need an upgrade over Peterson badly. Peja, who knows. I doubt he leaves all that money on the table.

JordansBulls
07-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Are they even trying to build around CP3? Does the franchise have any money?

wileyisTOFU
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
they need sell it all, move the franchise. texas could use a 4th nba team...

Shahrose
07-10-2009, 03:32 PM
i would love to see them get J.R. Smith
that would be a perfect match for them

cowboyz180
07-10-2009, 03:57 PM
the west is getting much stronger. they have to make a big trade is they want to compete in the west next year.

JordansBulls
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
the west is getting much stronger. they have to make a big trade is they want to compete in the west next year.

But who can they get? Should they trade Chandler for Mcgrady?

tland22
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
might as well... as long as we can dump Antonio Danliels or Mo Pete;s contract a long with Chandler's..then id go for it.

G-Bear
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
The key to NO success is trading Chandler to Phoenix that is all :P

JordansBulls
07-10-2009, 06:54 PM
The key to NO success is trading Chandler to Phoenix that is all :P

Trade Chandler and West for Amare

Method28
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM

No way man. That's robbery. They get a young Center and a good PF who doesnt get paid much and is locked up for a very good PF who will leave the next year. Take out West and put something else in there and maybe.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM

LOL Are you serious???? Terrible deal. We give two big men who we has success with for one big man. Then what do we do at center? Hilton Armstrong.

Whats the Hornets need is an upgrade at SG/SF and a good backup big man. Get rid of Peja and keep Chandler

Method28
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM
LOL Are you serious???? Terrible deal. We give two big men who we has success with for one big man. Then what do we do at center? Hilton Armstrong.

Whats the Hornets need is an upgrade at SG/SF and a good backup big man. Get rid of Peja and keep Chandler

I agree with everything except getting rid of Peja...not because i dont WANT to..but because in order to give him up we'll have to package either West or Chandler with him. No one wants that contract...especially with the FA class next summer. I would love for us to sign Big Baby and thats it...move on. We've missed out on so many of our targets this free agency that i've almost chalked it up as a loss. If we can sign Big Baby and stay healthy then we'll be an ok team this season...there's always when Chandler, Peja, and Mo Pete's contracts come off the books lol

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree with everything except getting rid of Peja...not because i dont WANT to..but because in order to give him up we'll have to package either West or Chandler with him. No one wants that contract...especially with the FA class next summer. I would love for us to sign Big Baby and thats it...move on. We've missed out on so many of our targets this free agency that i've almost chalked it up as a loss. If we can sign Big Baby and stay healthy then we'll be an ok team this season...there's always when Chandler, Peja, and Mo Pete's contracts come off the books lol

I dont want Peja gone, but he can't play I hope he retires or something His contract is a bummer

Method28
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I dont want Peja gone, but he can't play I hope he retires or something His contract is a bummer

Yeah his contract is KILLING us right now. His and Mo Pete's contract suck royally. Think we actually have a shot at Davis?

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Yea and he gonna play back up to Chandler and West. But we still need a sg/sf guy

Method28
07-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Is Rashard McCants signed already? Wasn't he supposed to be a FA this summer? He would fit well.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 07:47 PM
idk whats mccants situation but i'd take him

OA SLAY
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Hornets should trade Chandler to OKC, Memphis or Detroit. He could help any of those teams, and they have plenty of cap for him. NO should be happy if they got any of these in return - pick #15 from Detroit, pick #25 from OKC, or pick #27 from Memphis. NO has got to get under the luxury. They can't afford to be over or the city might lose the team. Chandler is good, but that team should be fine with CP, West, Posey and company. OKC, Memphis and Detroit could really use a guy like Chandler.

Memphis is loaded at C and PF no need for this bum...didnt SHEED go to the CELTS

dee279
07-10-2009, 08:21 PM
West is a 2nd/3rd option, especially with Chris Paul on the team.

If Peja is retiring, trade Posey, Chandler, Butler, Peja and and an unprotected first round pick for Dirk Nowtizki, and Erick Dampier. Instant championship: CP3, Mo Peterson, Dirk Nowitzki, David West, Erick Dampier.

Or take out Nowitzki and insert Josh Howard and Jason Terry, and New Orleans throws in a lottery protected pick. CP3, Jason Terry, Josh Howard, David West, Erick Dampier.

In both cases, Dallas gets cap relief from Peja retiring, young atheletes in Chandler and Butler, a veteran defender in Posey, and draft picks.

LOL at Nowitzki at SF.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
no lol at that, LOL at Dampier

dee279
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Lottery pick or 1st round knock out once again.

Method28
07-10-2009, 08:43 PM
idk whats mccants situation but i'd take him

yeah i think he'd be great. Id rather have him than Davis because i feel our need for a SG/SF is bigger than a back-up Forward/Center. Id take signing McCants and Joe Smith over just Davis.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 08:46 PM
i mean yea, we can still have marks as a backup he isnt too bad. but backup pf is what we lack too. im not rly into joe smith but w/e

Method28
07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah Joe isn't anything great, but he's cheap, experienced, plays both PF and C, and plays hard at both ends of the court. Ill take that as a consolation. Im all for signing Joe if that means we can get a better SG/SF.

Do you see the Hornets signing a big FA next summer if we can move Chandler and/or Peja....someone like Amare i mean.

Vinny642
07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
IDK it depends how much money we have next season if TC and Peja come of the books and decline their player options.

BkOriginalOne
07-10-2009, 09:24 PM
The GMs are doing a bad job with this team.
They haven't made any strong efforts to surround Chris Paul with good NBA talent.
Hels been in the league for how long and they can't find him a good backourt mate?
Call dumars about Rip Hamilton!
Get some athletic wings who are dynamic enough to play with him (Josh Smith would be great).

This team needs to be rebuilt completely around Chris Paul. They don't match his style and intensity (they let Denver beat him up last postseason).
First thing their going to do is fire Scott too, watch.
I think CP3 could quitely move on after this contract, I'd love to see him in NY.