PDA

View Full Version : Congressman's letter asks NBA to end age limit

TmacBryant
06-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Cohen calls age limit 'unfair'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4229043

i really hope the nba listens... if you can die for your country you should be able to play ball.

AllTheWay
06-04-2009, 02:34 AM
I could see both sides of the argument. A one year college education could do wonders for some of these athletes in many sports, help them take care of thier money and such.

NYKnickFanatic
06-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Age limit in the NBA is pointless IMO.

abe_froman
06-04-2009, 02:39 AM
meh,it'll have no effect

maxcaster989
06-04-2009, 02:43 AM
1 yr of college is good for the NBA. a kid goes to school for a year. develops BBall-wise and hopefully as a person.

Now if a kid needs to go make dollars for his family, let him go to Europe.

Either way, the kid has nothing to fall back on unless their parents are loaded, which isnt that common.

maxcaster989
06-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Cohen, a member of the House Judiciary Committee, called the requirement "an unfair restriction on the rights of these young men to pursue their intended career."

Shouldnt he be defending football players too btw?

Jeremy5150
06-04-2009, 02:52 AM
They should make the age limit 20, *OR* 2 years college/D-league/Europe/CBA experience. Or any combination of the above. The game would be much better off, as would the colleges, CBA, and D-League. Everyone wins because NBA teams would not have to teach the guy fundamentals, and the player wins because he will be a more finished product as a rookie, and might spend less time riding the pine - thus having a better shot in a long term career.

Derick713
06-04-2009, 02:56 AM
The Age Limit is really unfair. Although the NBA Draft is better with it. I remember when Mocks Drafts had Austin Dayne and BJ Mullens as the top two picks.

DerekRE_3
06-04-2009, 03:20 AM
If you can go to war....you should be able to go into the NBA.

Draco
06-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm with Stern.. I wouldn't mind seeing the age limit pushed to 20 y/o.

Hellcrooner
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Ok, so " if you can go to war you can play"

if we involve civil rights here it will be the end of the nba as you know it.

because

If i can decide to work in Mcdonalds or work in Burguer king or Work for taco bell then i CAN DECIDE WICH TEAM i wan to play in ( End of the draft)

If i can decide how much do i pay to my employees i can decide HOW MUCH I WANT TO PAY to my roster (end of the salary cap)

If i am stupid i can decide to swap my ferrari for a camaro i can decide to Exchange my players nomatter how much they earn ( end of the SALARY MATCHING for trades)

If i can decide how much do i demmand to earn to stay in a busines or go I CAN DECIDE HOW MUCH MONEY I WANT for Resigning ( end of the Max Salary)

If i decide to change my job i can do it any day of the year i want to ( end of the deadlines and moratoriums and ****)

etc etc etc etc

MiamiHeat
06-04-2009, 01:05 PM
unless Lebron asks the NBA to change it
the NBA won't listen

sp1derm00
06-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I think maybe they should remove the age limit for Lottery players only. This gives more risk to teams drafting lottery players, but more security for those players.

Garnett, Kobe, Lebron, Bynum, and Kwame have all done pretty well for themselves, granted Kobe wasn't a top 10 pick, it shows that lottery players will find success with contracts more often than not, even in the case of busts, such as Kwame. This should provide them with financial security while also discouraging teams from drafting them if they're not ready yet.

BigEric
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
the NBA won't listen

Hahahahaha.

ShockerArt
06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I couldn't believe that the NBA was able to push this through. In a legal battle, wouldn't the cases of Kobe, Garnett, J. O'Neal, McGrady, LeBron, etc show precedent for 18 year olds being able to succeed?

TmacBryant
06-05-2009, 05:43 AM
the NBA won't listen

lawl

dos132
06-05-2009, 06:43 AM
if they want too, why not... but they can change it from 19 to 18...