PDA

View Full Version : Did Shaq really screw over the Orlando Magic franchise?

JordansBulls
06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Did Shaq really screw over the Orlando Magic franchise or did the Magic know he was going to leave?

Shaq was the Orlando Magic's franchise player when they drafted him. He played 4 seasons with them and then he up and left to go to LA leaving the Orlando high and dry with nothing left as Penny ended up getting injured after another year.

Why was Shaq ready to leave Orlando and when did this start?

abe_froman
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
because he was of offered the largest contract seen(to that point) and he wanted to make movies/music and la is the prime hub for doing that....and with that,wouldnt you be ready to leave to?

phoenix_bladen
06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
was there no such thing as a sign and trade back then ?

phoenix_bladen
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
i would have at least did a sign and trade if i were shaq

ManRam
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
He wanted to be in a big market. He's said it himself. LA is a hell of a lot bigger than Orlando is. That, and Jerry West was willing to offer a lot more money than Orlando...something like 120 vs. 100 million. For his career, it was the best move. Look how well it paid off for him. It was very shocking, and really screwed the Magic for almost a decade though...

Hopefully he and Grant come back as owners...

DrDEADalready
06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
He's just like alot of "Franchise" players. they all wanna go to a big market team. it's pathetic really. :pity:

superkegger
06-03-2009, 03:20 PM
He wanted to be in a big market. He's said it himself. LA is a hell of a lot bigger than Orlando is. That, and Jerry West was willing to offer a lot more money than Orlando...something like 120 vs. 100 million. For his career, it was the best move. Look how well it paid off for him. It was very shocking, and really screwed the Magic for almost a decade though...

Wait, what was surprising? That he left, or the amount of money he was offered?

ManRam
06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Wait, what was surprising? That he left, or the amount of money he was offered?

That he left. Maybe it wasn't surprising that he left, outside of Orlando, but as a fan it was shocking, and heart breaking.

The amount of money was a buttload too, but if anyone deserved it, it was Shaq.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
That he left. Maybe it wasn't surprising that he left, outside of Orlando, but as a fan it was shocking, and heart breaking.

The amount of money was a buttload too, but if anyone deserved it, it was Shaq.

Ok, from what you said before you said that it was shocking, you seemed to allude to the fact that it made sense. That he wanted to play in a big market, and LA is hella bigger than Orlando so it made sense, and that the money was right.

Ewagner
06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
of course he did. he was a once in a generation player. if he would have stayed in orlando you could have been talking about the greatest dynasty since the celtics.

AIverson
06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
He's just like alot of "Franchise" players. they all wanna go to a big market team. it's pathetic really. :pity:

Yeah, I realy get annoyed with the big market crap.

ManRam
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok, from what you said before you said that it was shocking, you seemed to allude to the fact that it made sense. That he wanted to play in a big market, and LA is hella bigger than Orlando so it made sense, and that the money was right.

It made sense for Shaq...and probably any non-Magic fan...but as a Magic fan, it was shocking, earth shattering, heartbreaking. From my perspective, it was shocking.

No one cared why he left in Orlando, they just cared that it happened. He could have left for all the right reasons in the world, but the fact is, he left, and our franchise went to the dumps. It was shocking. To go from Finals and ECFs, to losing in the first round every year or not even making the playoffs sucks. We went from cloud 9 to hell when he left. That's why it was shocking. Things were looking up...then he left.

whoakid
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
idk shaq did what was best for him. He got more more spotlight in a big market city and he had his best years there. As a magic fan I would feel screwed but at the same time they got a ton of cap space.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 03:43 PM
It made sense for Shaq...and probably any non-Magic fan...but as a Magic fan, it was shocking, earth shattering, heartbreaking. From my perspective, it was shocking.

No one cared why he left in Orlando, they just cared that it happened. He could have left for all the right reasons in the world, but the fact is, he left, and our franchise went to the dumps. It was shocking. To go from Finals and ECFs, to losing in the first round every year or not even making the playoffs sucks. We went from cloud 9 to hell when he left. That's why it was shocking. Things were looking up...then he left.

Ok I gotcha.

Shaq leaving a franchise, whether on his or someone else's terms has seemed to leave an unfillable hole. Which of course is not surprising. The year after he departed the Magic, lottery, the year after he left LA, lottery, the year he left Miami, lottery.

LA_cabals
06-03-2009, 07:47 PM

Actually it wasn't that big of a difference. Lakers offered him $118 mil and Magic offered $115 mil. However, the contract offered by the Magic was worth more since there is no state income tax there.

Kakaroach
06-03-2009, 07:50 PM
He's just like alot of "Franchise" players. they all wanna go to a big market team. it's pathetic really. :pity: Lol DrDead. Reminds you of anyone? (Check my avatar)

AirJordan23
06-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Just to add to what others have said. I believe one of the reason was so that Shaq could emerge as a star of the West. If he had stayed with Orlando, Orlando would have been dominated by Chicago by everytime till '98 and Jordan would have overshadowed Shaq. So really, Shaq wanted to go to LA. Big market, he'd be the star of the Western conference. And I know this logic is flawed because Shaq didn't win in LA till Kobe finally became a legit star but he still got the rep that he wanted.

Cromedome
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Living in NYC...I love it. I wish more "franchise" players would come here !

MAC10TIZZY
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Living in NYC...I love it. I wish more "franchise" players would come here !

you do know your home town team is the knicks right? sick

MAC10TIZZY
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
...and hell ya shaq left us, he called us a dry pond, well we back, i think with out a doubt orlando can eventually become a big market(soon)

ARMIN12NBA
06-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Did Shaq really screw over the Orlando Magic franchise or did the Magic know he was going to leave?

Orlando thought there was no way he would leave. In fact, they were so arrogant and downright confident that he wouldn't leave that they somewhat alienated him from the franchise.

Why was Shaq ready to leave Orlando and when did this start?

Shaq wanted to stay in Orlando even with a smaller contract, but the Magic organization gave him no love. They acted like they didn't even want him. Basically, they thought there was no way he would go so they didn't coddle him like they should have done. In the end, Shaq felt more welcome by West and the Lakers and betrayed by the Magic so he came to L.A.