PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Lebron from a casual fan

iam brett favre
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Now I'm in no way a diehard NBA fan, but I watch the playoffs, and the regular season occasionally. I gotta say, I can't believe how much this Lebron James thing is getting blown out of proportion.
If you're angry at what he did, lets stop and think...Would you rather see him walk off the court in frustration, or see him laugh and shake hands+hug the other guys after the game?
I know when Im watching football and I see players laughing like nothing happened, it really makes me angry.
IMO, I'd much rather see what he did, then him act like what just happened wasn't heart breaking.

Your thoughts?

sp1derm00
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Lebron and Kobe are on a different level...

Kobe when he came in, was held in as high regard as Lebron now is... but when he broke everyone's heart with the "affair", the NBA and fans started criticizing him for everything. This was also the year he stopped winning.

They expect the same from Lebron as they did from Kobe back then. When Lebron didn't live up to expectations, the hating begins. The first socially unacceptable thing he does, or any run ins with the law will have his rep tarnished as badly as Kobe's.

Walking off the court without congratulating the Magic was childish and unsportsmanlike... not good role model behavior.

Missing56&33
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I was surprised he walked off with going over to DH at least and shaking his hand...they won a gold medal together its a brotherhood but he should have congradulated the Magic.

Jacob K.
06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Now I'm in no way a diehard NBA fan, but I watch the playoffs, and the regular season occasionally. I gotta say, I can't believe how much this Lebron James thing is getting blown out of proportion.
If you're angry at what he did, lets stop and think...Would you rather see him walk off the court in frustration, or see him laugh and shake hands+hug the other guys after the game?
I know when Im watching football and I see players laughing like nothing happened, it really makes me angry.
IMO, I'd much rather see what he did, then him act like what just happened wasn't heart breaking.

Your thoughts?

thats exactly what i think. i would have done the same thing if i was trying my best to will my team to victory and couldnt pull it through. he hates losing, as should everyone else in the game

VCaintdead17
06-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I bet he was crying and didn't want anyone to see. :D

I would walk away too if I was crying

ESaady
06-02-2009, 08:26 PM
No player should take heat, if people didn't become infatuated with these stars and want to be like them when most know they won't ever come close to them, then none of these problems would arise. People hold athletes on a higher level and that's wrong. Live your life, care about yourself, and stop caring about what athletes do. It's weird how people don't come to the realization that it's not their own life. This is jmo.

ink
06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
No player should take heat, if people didn't become infatuated with these stars and want to be like them when most know they won't ever come close to them, then none of these problems would arise. People hold athletes on a higher level and that's wrong. Live your life, care about yourself, and stop caring about what athletes do. It's weird how people don't come to the realization that it's not their own life. This is jmo.

Good post. Let them be human and stop idolizing/hating so much. They're just athletes and they're no more or less imperfect than anyone else. Like someone earlier said, he was probably too emotional. Fine. I care about what happens ON THE COURT not whether someone shakes hands or cries or whatever other perceived "outrage" people can come up with.

Being "outraged" about this is pretty lame.

slipcid
06-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Sportsmanship
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sportsmanship is conformance to the rules, spirit, and etiquette of sport.More grandly, it may be considered the ethos of sport. It is interesting that the motivation for sport is often an elusive element. Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors. Being a "good sport" involves being a "good winner" as well as being a "good loser".[1]

Often the pressures of competition, individual achievement, or introduction of technology can seem to work against enjoyment by participants. As a result, sportsmanship may be contrasted with gamesmanship.

Examples of poor sportsmanship are winners "rubbing salt in the wounds" of the losers, or the losers expressing frustration at not winning, perhaps to the point of holding a grudge, booing the winner's national anthem (at an event such as the Olympics) or failing to congratulate the winners. On certain levels of sport, poor sportsmanship is punished. For example, in college football, a team can receive a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Sportsmanship typically is regarded as a component of morality in sport, composed of three related and perhaps overlapping concepts: fair play, sportsmanship, and character.[2] Fair play refers to all participants having an equitable chance to pursue victory[3] and acting toward others in an honest, straightforward, and a firm and dignified manner even when others do not play fairly. It includes respect for others including team members, opponents, and officials.[4] Character refers to dispositions, values and habits that determine the way that person normally responds to desires, fears, challenges, opportunities, failures and successes and is typically seen in polite behaviors toward others such as helping an opponent up or shaking hands after a match. An individual is believed to have a “good character” when those dispositions and habits reflect core ethical values.

Sportsmanship can be conceptualized as an enduring and relatively stable characteristic or disposition such that individuals differ in the way they are generally expected to behave in sport situations. In general, sportsmanship refers to virtues such as fairness, self-control, courage and persistence[2] and has been associated with interpersonal concepts of treating others and being treated fairly, maintaining self-control in dealing with others, and respect for both authority and opponents.

[edit] Sore loser

A competitor who exhibits poor sportsmanship after losing a game or contest is called a "sore loser" in some places. Behavior includes reacting immaturely or improperly, making excuses for their loss, referring to unfavorable conditions or other petty issues.

a sore loser. period.

The Panch
06-02-2009, 09:51 PM
What Lebron did was unsportsmanlike. All kinds of kid saw him pouting and left the court in a hurry and that sets a bad example. Ever since middle school, playing basketball or football, win or lose, I would shake hands with the other team. Now days, just playing pickup ball after games win or lose, everyone shakes everyones hands, and tells each other good game, that is what is expeceted when I play, and that is what is expected in the NCAA, and the NBA.

Ovratd1up
06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
But it is hypocritical as fans to be against in what he did. Disappointed is a better word. But when we pay players millions, on these forums we often are outraged when someone doesn't compete or give it his all (i.e. Amare doesn't even try on defense, OMG or LeBron just doesn't want to win as bad as Kobe... that sets them apart). That is really the most important thing we ask from them, and LeBron just gave it to us so intensely that we just couldn't handle it.

SJSHARKIES
06-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Well said. :clap:

gcfeldma
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Your thoughts?

Carmelo wasn't "laughing," but he still had the character to respect his teammates and opponents by shaking the Lakers hands'. Carmelo is very competitive, and played a very hard series.

What LeBron did should ABSOLUTELY be considered poor sportsmanship. What happens when kids in youth basketball leagues start storming off the court after a loss instead of shaking hands with the other team? LeBron missed out on an opportunity to be a true role model. Instead of being a role model, he is now a childish punk. Shaking hands with the Magic players and coaches does not make him okay with losing, it makes him a good sport and a true professional. Looks to me like somebody missed a few lessons in his jump to the NBA after high school.

I admire his playing abilities more than I admire anybody else's in the league, he is amazing. That does not make him a good role model or professional, two things he apparently does not understand.

Check out this blog I found. It's very funny, and pays homage to the sportsmanship that James displayed.
http://popcornmuscles.com/2009/06/lebro/

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Your thoughts?

Why is it one way or the other? Either he laughs or doesn't shake hands? Why can't he be upset and pissed and shake their hands anyways (a la MJ or Magic or Kobe)?

The worse thing is that he left his teammates out on an island in post-game (forcing them to answer all the questions alone) and that he tried to justify his actions. THAT is what bugs me.

theuuord
06-02-2009, 11:02 PM
it's a good thing someone finally brought this up on these forums!

i can't believe it's slipped by for so long.

dos132
06-02-2009, 11:17 PM
lebron didnt show his sportsmanship after the loss on orlando... he walk away after the final second... but you cannot blame him... so hard to congratulate the one who kicks your butt out of the finals....

xDjEpYOnx
06-02-2009, 11:38 PM
...and that he tried to justify his actions. THAT is what bugs me.

Agreed :clap:

That's what pissed off everyone more, his justification. I think the act itself would've been forgiven if he showed remorse the next day, apologized and said something similar to what he did say, just leave out the whole, "i'm a winner/competitor" crap.
I like Lebron's game and he's gonna be the best for years to come, but this was just a poor decision on his part.

Now days, just playing pickup ball after games win or lose, everyone shakes everyones hands, and tells each other good game, that is what is expeceted when I play, and that is what is expected in the NCAA, and the NBA.
If strangers can exhibit better sportsmanship than co-workers(because that's what they are, technically) , you expect better.

violetuniverse
06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
you win, you lose, it is part of the game. lebron displayed poor sportsmanship. it isnt like he wont be in the finals sometime later on. congradulate the magic and move on...this just wasnt his time yet but im sure he will be back. he still has yrs to play.

tr4shb0t
06-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Basically, the media has nothing to talk about for a week regarding NBA, so what are they gonna do...

rhaas74
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Why is it one way or the other? Either he laughs or doesn't shake hands? Why can't he be upset and pissed and shake their hands anyways (a la MJ or Magic or Kobe)?

The worse thing is that he left his teammates out on an island in post-game (forcing them to answer all the questions alone) and that he tried to justify his actions. THAT is what bugs me.

No, the worse thing is that his teammates left him out on an island during the whole series. LeBron played his heart out. The only other one that I can say that did so was West, who kept fighting until the clock ran out. So to me, it was the teammates who put the team in the position to be answering those questions, why should LeBron bail them out AGAIN.

marlinsfan24
06-03-2009, 12:48 AM
What I don't like is Shaq was fined for not talking to the press after the 05 Conference Finals, Lebron wasn't...double standard much?

theuuord
06-03-2009, 12:50 AM
What I don't like is Shaq was fined for not talking to the press after the 05 Conference Finals, Lebron wasn't...double standard much?

Could you show a link about Shaq's fine?

marlinsfan24
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Could you show a link about Shaq's fine?

I can't, but heard it on ESPN today. And I remember it as well.

lakers4sho
06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
No, the worse thing is that his teammates left him out on an island during the whole series. LeBron played his heart out. The only other one that I can say that did so was West, who kept fighting until the clock ran out. So to me, it was the teammates who put the team in the position to be answering those questions, why should LeBron bail them out AGAIN.

What happened to LeBron "making his teammates better"?

ESaady
06-03-2009, 03:19 AM
The concept of sports was fabricated by man because they realized fighting to the death as entertainment wasn't going to cut it anymore. Gladiators never looked at their opponents and spared them(except Russel Crowe lol). Thus to not make the other person feel bad they included a "humble" aspect to it and that was sportsmanship:
Examples of poor sportsmanship are winners "rubbing salt in the wounds" of the losers Now they couldn't just say oh the winners can't rub it in and leave it at that, the losers have to act in such a manner that shows they will not be sore losers which is defined as:
A competitor who exhibits poor sportsmanship after losing a game or contest is called a "sore loser" in some places. Behavior includes reacting immaturely or improperly, making excuses for their loss, referring to unfavorable conditions or other petty issues. Rules and regulations on people in terms of sports isn't always viable because of human nature. I don't want to get into the whole philosophy crap and I don't want to try and make it seem like I'm defending Lebron because I couldn't give two ***** for the guy, I'm just trying to make the point that when it comes down to it....it doesn't matter. All of it is fabricated material set on people for entertainment. Screaming, "Hey that wasn't a ****in foul" to the ref is also unsportsmanlike, but you don't see people wanting to gouge the player's eyes out for being a dbag to the official. That is an example of lacking self-control and the whole concept of treating others the way you want to be treated:
In general, sportsmanship refers to virtues such as fairness, self-control, courage and persistence[2] and has been associated with interpersonal concepts of treating others and being treated fairly, maintaining self-control in dealing with others, and respect for both authority and opponents. In the heat of battle human nature takes over, sometimes when you can't have it your way you leave McDonalds and go to Burger King in other instances you leave the court like Lebron did. We have all had some experience with being a "sore loser" in our lifetimes...at least I know have and when I look back on it I realize I acted like an idiot, but we should seriously leave all 'sore losers' alone because if they are sane..which I am assuming most are, then they will come to realize their personal deficiencies....I hope.

IndyRealist
06-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Lebron gave 150% every game it just wasn't enough because his teammates didn't back him up. I feel bad for him, I really do. But you're an athlete, you're expected to shake the other team's hands. I watched a high school game where one team blew out the other by 50, they still shook hands. Another game broke out into a fight, at the end of the game they still shook hands. It's saying, "Nothing personal. You're a competitor, I'm a competitor. It's on, next time." What if Joe Johnson disrespected Lebron that way, refusing to shake hands and walking off the court? Joe would be a "sore loser" not "emotional and distraught".

But that's what it is, disrespect. Lebron thought he shouldn't have lost that series, that the Magic weren't worthy of going to the Finals. Lebron bought into his own hype. He truly believed that no one could beat him in a seven game series, that every call really did deserve to go his way, that the entire playoffs were simply a pre-game show for Kobe vs. Lebron and his eventual championship ring ceremony. And when that didn't happen, when the buzzer sounded and he was on the wrong side of the handshake, he ran off like a petulant child. He left without talking to media, a clear violation of NBA rules and his contract. He didn't care, no one tells King James what he can and cannot do. Why does David Stern have to call and talk to him about it? Why isn't he just levying a fine, like any other player or coach? Why is Lebron James treated differently?

He's the greatest player of his generation, the face of the franchise and of the NBA. He should act like it.

cubulls
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Crybaby James needs to grow up and put his ego in check. He gets paid a **** load of money to play a game so the least he can do is act like a professional. What a great message to send to the millions of kids that look up to him...****ing idiot.