PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! writer rips LeBron a new one

lakersrock
06-02-2009, 04:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebron060109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I’m a winner, King James proclaimed. So, there you go. That’s his reason for rushing out of the conference finals without so much as a nod to Dwight Howard(notes) and the Orlando Magic. That’s his reason for marching to the bus and letting the Cleveland Cavaliers’ spare parts take care of his responsibilities in the interview room.

Funny, but James stayed on the court to make sure the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks paid respect to him. As it turns out, there’s one thing allowed to happen at the end of a playoff series: Everyone bows down and kisses the King’s ring. Only, LeBron doesn’t have a ring. He’s never won a game in the NBA Finals.

So, yes, maybe they just have to kiss his feet.

“It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that,” James said.

No, nothing like that. Yes, James cares so much that it isn’t possible to be gracious and humbled.

You know me, he told the reporters in Cleveland on Sunday. I’m a competitor. “If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them,” James said. “It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”

Here’s the question: Who has the guts to tell him that he sounds like an immature, self-absorbed brat?

Here’s the problem for the Cavaliers and James: No one.

It won’t be Cleveland Cavaliers ownership, front office and coaches. It won’t be the NBA. It won’t be Nike. And it sure won’t be those childhood sycophants who surround James and tell everyone what a brilliant businessman LeBron is because they can answer the phone when corporations call for a famous pitchman.

LeBron doesn’t want to win more than Michael Jordan did, but Jordan could stop and shake a winner’s hand. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird could, too. Julius Erving did. Kobe Bryant(notes). Isiah Thomas led a walkout after losing to the Chicago Bulls after winning two NBA titles, but Joe Dumars never followed him. He stayed and shook Jordan’s hand, the way Jordan had always shook his when the Pistons had beaten him.

“M.J. had stopped, shook my hand and hugged me three straight years that we had beaten them in the playoffs,” Dumars once told me. “There was no way I was walking off the court without shaking the Bulls’ hands.”

Within the Cavs, someone needed to tell James that he embarrassed himself and the franchise, but that won’t happen. They’re too scared of him. Most league executives with knowledge of Cleveland’s operation believe it’s far more of an ownership issue, than basketball operations.

If general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown privately disdain the ridiculous posing for pictures that James started with his teammates on a 13-game winning streak, the owner is believed to see the foolishness as a marketing dream.

Someone should’ve told James that the pregame Polaroid act was belittling and beneath a championship contender, but it never happened.

All season, the Cavaliers acted too entitled, too arrogant for a team that’s won nothing. They ran out demanding that Mo Williams(notes) be made an All-Star, when the truth bore itself out in the playoffs: Cleveland has one All-Star. Nevertheless, Williams still embarrassed the Cavs with foolish proclamations and guarantees his middling talent couldn’t deliver.

“If you believe in karma with that nonsense,” one Western Conference executive said, “then Cleveland got what was coming to them.”

The Cavaliers are terrified of James. When you’re around them, it’s sometimes embarrassing to watch the way they tip-toe and grovel with him. In their defense, that’s how James wants it. As a childhood prodigy, that’s all LeBron’s ever known. The Cavs are at his mercy until he becomes a free agent in July of 2010, and that isn’t going to change. There’s no chance that he signs an extension this summer, because that would be the end of the drama, the intrigue and LeBron James(notes) isn’t letting that go away.

Now, Ferry goes back to the phones and starts work on surrounding James with championship talent. Cleveland is sure to revisit the Shaquille O’Neal(notes) talks with the Phoenix Suns, and James and his associates will send out word that, hey, we’ll go to New York unless the Cavs deliver him his title. Well, they’ve reached the NBA Finals and had the best record in the NBA within the past three seasons, so they must have surrounded James with something that works there.

Nevertheless, James distanced himself in losing again, after a season in which he sold himself as all for one, and one for all. James had been an MVP until the very final moments of the basketball season, and then, he embarrassed himself and acted like a petulant kid. In a world where everyone in his life is too fearful or too dependent, LeBron James goes into the summer believing his own nonsense that he walked out of this season a winner.

As usual, there’s no one to tell him.

Except maybe now, Kobe’s puppet.

This is one of the truest and best articles I've read in relation to the NBA in a long time. I'm surprised Stern hasn't already told Yahoo! to take it down.

superkegger
06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
LeBron made a mistake. Oh well.

lakersrock
06-02-2009, 04:18 PM

That's not the point of the article. The point of the article is he thinks he can do whatever he wants. With the NBA not giving him a fine for skipping the post game media session, he and everyone else KNOWS he can.

kingkobe
06-02-2009, 04:20 PM

But the point is that he's not admitting it. Instead, he thinks he hasn't done anything wrong at all. You can't be running away like little girls when you are the most publicized person in the league. That's just not good role modeling.

Do you know how many kids are gonna follow the same thing..."oh i'm a winner, i don't shake hands with someone who just beat me". This is terrible for the sport.

Hoopsadvocate
Great article. Speaks volumes when one of the best in the league cant even shake hands or stay for a post game interview after a loss. Lost some respect for the guy i thought he was much better than that.

ARMIN12NBA
“M.J. had stopped, shook my hand and hugged me three straight years that we had beaten them in the playoffs,” Dumars once told me. “There was no way I was walking off the court without shaking the Bulls’ hands.”

Apparently Lebron James sees himself as a greater winner than Michael Jordan. Interesting.

BTW--Rafael Nadal lost his first match after going 31-0 and winning 4 straight French Open titles. The player he lost to is a player he despises. Nadal still went up to him, shook his hand, and congratulated him. Much props to Nadal.

superkegger
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
That's not the point of the article. The point of the article is he thinks he can do whatever he wants. With the NBA not giving him a fine for skipping the post game media session, he and everyone else KNOWS he can.

Yeah, oh well.

He's the result of his own success. He's been forever catered too, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it now. He loves the limelight, and he's going to soak it up. It is what it is.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
BTW--The NBA is not fining Lebron for breaking the rules (not going to postgame). Countless players have been fined for this...Lebron is not going to be fined. Double standards and preferential treatment much?

what54!?
06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
meh the only thing I have a problem with is his reason for not shaking their hands. "I'm a winner" what has lebron won?

VCaintdead17
06-02-2009, 04:25 PM
brilliant article. :clap:

well done, this really shows Lebrons immaturity and how nobody is willing to speak up.

Draco
06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Wasn't there already a locked thread similar to this one?

Not a very accurate article..

Here’s the question: Who has the guts to tell him that he sounds like an immature, self-absorbed brat?

Here’s the problem for the Cavaliers and James: No one.

"I'm in the process of making a phone call or two now to talk to LeBron ... so I don't want to speak to that at this moment," Stern said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4224350

Chronz
06-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Not everyone has good sportsmanship, is it a flaw? That depends on who you ask, and how old they are. Bron could look back on this and regret it, but he will never change any of it. Emotions get the best of you from time to time, they lead to outbursts and can in many ways fuel your drive to overcome the reasons you felt like that in the first place, if you asked Charles Barkley he'd tell you there should be no hand shaking during the playoffs.

Look at the guys this idiot mentions, Julius Erving? Yea hes never had a moment where he totally lets his emotions get the best of him, to the point of absolute degradation of the opposing teams iconic figure. MJ or Bird didnt have to live up to all the hype surrounding LeBron, when he fails, especially in his MVP campaign when his team was favored and mouthing off it hurts him more. Again emotions get the best of people, and it usually take awhile for them to regret it.

Its not like LeBron hasnt congratulated the opposing team for winning, he just wont do it when its fresh in his mind, remember when Kobe cried in front of the spurs, maybe Bron went to go cry in private. Now that would be a sad case, but seriously its not a big deal. This time next year, if Bron is eliminated do you think he repeats this mistake?

ChicagoRox
06-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Sure what Lebron did was wrong. His interview was even more wrong.

But will his jersey sales go down. Probably not. Will his shoe sales? Nope. Will his game be any less impressive? Nope.

As long as games his great and his merchandise is selling. The NBA will never do anything to him. And this situation will be forgotten and swept underneath the rug,

My point is…… Hell I don’t even know. But man I was really looking forward to more puppet commercials.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
"I'm in the process of making a phone call or two now to talk to LeBron ... so I don't want to speak to that at this moment," Stern said.

Good. Although I doubt anything will happen. The double standards already loom large as Lebron won't be fined. Stern will just make sure Lebron stops with his hypocrisy. When Lebron does NBA Cares commercials to tell kids to exhibit sportsmanship (specifically showing pics of kids shaking hands) and Lebron frowns upon sportsmanship when he, himself, is unsportsmanlike then Stern has to have a talk.

dsonLAL24
06-02-2009, 04:32 PM

he didn't own up to his mistake. The fact that he's trying to defend himself made the situation worse.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Not everyone has good sportsmanship, is it a flaw? That depends on who you ask, and how old they are. Bron could look back on this and regret it, but he will never change any of it. Emotions get the best of you from time to time, they lead to outbursts and can in many ways fuel your drive to overcome the reasons you felt like that in the first place, if you asked Charles Barkley he'd tell you there should be no hand shaking during the playoffs.

I had more of a problem with his interview and him not going to post-game. He had a whole day to think about it and he still tried to justify something that is unjustifiable. He also left his teammates out alone on an island during post-game, which is not what a good teammate does.

lakersrock
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Wasn't there already a locked thread similar to this one?

Not a very accurate article..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4224350

Every other player that does that doesn't get a call, they get a fine. Like Skip said on First Take, I can't wait for somebody like Rasheed to skip, get fined and then ask why he gets fined and not LeBron.

coyote
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I admired LJ until this happen. He is selfish..so the other team that loose against the cavaliers have to pay respect TO LJ? Lol fnk looser!

mlisica19
06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I understand eveyrthing about whats going on his head, i dont llike him less or more. Yes its respectful to shake hands with the opposing team but come on. He probably left that scene quickly and cried and cried. Hes upset, hes furious, hes winner meaning that he doesnt want to or like to lose. Hes upset and that just means he cares about that loss more than anyone else did on that team. Its a fact, cuz hes the one that tries the hardest each game for each play defensive or offensive and in the end when u lose he has nothing left to do but cry and drop. MJ WON A CHAMPIONSHIP and left the arena into the locker room in tears. You guys are so negative once pple dont do the MORAL or w.e thing u expect. I bet all my cash that day or 2 days after that game or even that night he had called up Dwight and some players on the team and congratulated them.

Chronz
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I had more of a problem with his interview and him not going to post-game. He had a whole day to think about it and he still tried to justify something that is unjustifiable. He also left his teammates out alone on an island during post-game, which is not what a good teammate does.
When you broke up with your first girlfriend you shrugged it off, when your wife divorced you, you kept half her stuff, dont compare that to the pressure of Bron losing his perfect season.

lakersrock
06-02-2009, 04:51 PM
When you broke up with your first girlfriend you shrugged it off, when your wife divorced you, you kept half her stuff, dont compare that to the pressure of Bron losing his perfect season.

To LeBron, basketball isn't like a fist fight. It's like a game.

To Chronz, basketball isn't like real life situations. It's like a game.

Why do people keep comparing a GAME to things that happen in life?

Lakersho
06-02-2009, 04:52 PM
break dishes bron bron,thats what most chicks do, thats what your actin like...

Squad13
It was childish but eh, he is 24. People are making it a bigger deal than it is. If it were Kobe he would be bashed non stop though.

FortyDubs
So this is worse than rape?

harsh506
Yea its good that someone has to the balls to challenge Lebron and Stern :clap:

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
So this is worse than rape?

:laugh: I knew somebody would throw this in. Kobe didn't rape anybody and it is not worse than rape. Although that would be irrelevant to the discussion.

For one, why bring Kobe into this? Because another human being does something wrong, it means another human can't?

Secondly, random questions bringing up crimes doesn't absolve something that is done wrong to a lesser degree. Is this worse than murder? Is this worse than robbing a bank? Well, it doesn't really matter as it is irrelevant.

Ilir
06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I understand eveyrthing about whats going on his head, i dont llike him less or more. Yes its respectful to shake hands with the opposing team but come on. He probably left that scene quickly and cried and cried. Hes upset, hes furious, hes winner meaning that he doesnt want to or like to lose. Hes upset and that just means he cares about that loss more than anyone else did on that team. Its a fact, cuz hes the one that tries the hardest each game for each play defensive or offensive and in the end when u lose he has nothing left to do but cry and drop. MJ WON A CHAMPIONSHIP and left the arena into the locker room in tears. You guys are so negative once pple dont do the MORAL or w.e thing u expect. I bet all my cash that day or 2 days after that game or even that night he had called up Dwight and some players on the team and congratulated them.

I agree with you.

When you try your hardest do everything humanly possible to win and still end up losing it hurts. If you're a true competitor. LeBron had such high hopes for these playoffs. All the hype of winning a championship and he doesnt even make it to the finals. I'm pretty sure I would've done the same thing. I am in no way disrespectful or unsportsmanlike but at that point you have to give the man the benefit of a doubt. How many times has he done this? I'm pretty sure its the first. This wasnt just another loss it was the one that ended his "perfect season"

I am a fan of LeBron. But what he did was unsportsmanlike but i give him the benefit of the doubt and dont blame him for it. When you play that hard you play with emotion and at the end of the game his emotions got the best of him.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 04:56 PM

:confused: I don't get the analogy muh man. Elaborate please.

Ilir
06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
To LeBron, basketball isn't like a fist fight. It's like a game.

To Chronz, basketball isn't like real life situations. It's like a game.

Why do people keep comparing a GAME to things that happen in life?

well its pretty evident you don't REALLY strive to win when you play. Me personally I try to win no matter what I'm doing and not just win by a few points I want to win by as much as possible not to make the other team look bad but to show everyone just how good I am. Its just a style of play. And for LeBron James basketball is his life thats what he does day in and out. When your beaten at the thing you strive to be the best in, it hurts.

theuuord
06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
oh my god you guys are still talking about this?

He was pissed. He is still pissed. He's probably going to be pissed until next season. He probably felt the weight of the basketball world crashing upon him at that moment.

He is starving....i'm talkin' stomach GROWLIN. (c) Kobe puppet.

This is a non-story taking up space for sportswriters.

theuuord
06-02-2009, 05:01 PM
oh, and:

stop this madness.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 05:04 PM
well its pretty evident you don't REALLY strive to win when you play. Me personally I try to win no matter what I'm doing and not just win by a few points I want to win by as much as possible not to make the other team look bad but to show everyone just how good I am. Its just a style of play. And for LeBron James basketball is his life thats what he does day in and out. When your beaten at the thing you strive to be the best in, it hurts.

You don't think Michael was striving to win?

colinskik
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
“'It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that,'” James said.

No, nothing like that. Yes, James cares so much that it isn’t possible to be gracious and humbled.

"You know me, he told the reporters in Cleveland on Sunday. I’m a competitor. 'If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them,' James said. 'It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.'”

I think James doesn't understand what a poor sport is. His actions are the definition of poor sport. I mean, if he's following the footsteps of Isiah, rather than Dumars, that's never a good thing.

Great article. It just really goes to show how childish he still is. I guess he does have something to work on ... that and his shot.

Ilir
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
You don't think Michael was striving to win?

He did. But I doubt there was as much hype around him saying it was nearly guaranteed by everyone. With all that hype in his mind there was no way they couldnt make it to the finals. And this is about LeBron James not micheal jordan completely different scenarios and its unfair to compare the 2.

macc
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Really, people are still making a big deal with the no handshake? Granted it wasn't the "right" thing to do but who cares, move on with your lives. Noone is perfect. savy

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
He did. But I doubt there was as much hype around him saying it was nearly guaranteed by everyone. With all that hype in his mind there was no way they couldnt make it to the finals. And this is about LeBron James not micheal jordan completely different scenarios and its unfair to compare the 2.

How is it a "completely different" scenario? I'm pretty sure they are both great basketball players who are leaders and on and on and on. ANY and EVERY player should congratulate the opponent and not bail out on their teammates. I don't know. That's just me.

ManRam
06-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Really, people are still making a big deal with the no handshake? Granted it wasn't the "right" thing to do but who cares, move on with your lives. Noone is perfect. savy

Agreed.

Talk about :horse::horse:

We get it. Can we move on?

People act like they hate all the attention he gets. They make fun of ESPN and company for it. It's weird because majority of people on this site who complain about the attention he gets...can't stop talking about LeBron themselves.

theuuord
06-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Agreed.

Talk about :horse::horse:

We get it. Can we move on?

People act like they hate all the attention he gets. They make fun of ESPN and company for it. It's weird because majority of people on this site who complain about the attention he gets...can't stop talking about LeBron themselves.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU.

entertainment is entertainment. people who complain actually love it, because it gives them something to complain about.

Ilir
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
How is it a "completely different" scenario? I'm pretty sure they are both great basketball players who are leaders and on and on and on. ANY and EVERY player should congratulate the opponent and not bail out on their teammates. I don't know. That's just me.

you fail to argue against the points I stated of the LJ's hype vs MJ's hype. Thats the main point i'm trying to argue. **** happens when emotions get put in play. Humans greatest weakness is emotions.

I agree with you that it was unsportsmanlike and he was a bad teammate at that moment. But untill it starts becoming habitual I wouldnt call him unsportsmanlike. Show me other moments where hes done things along these lines and i'll agree with what this article says otherwise I blame it on emotions.

Just as a side note. Idk if you've seen LeBron play horse against the winner of a horse tournament. He lost against him but it was clearly evident he wasnt giving it 100%. If he was really what everyone here makes him out to be I doubt he wouldve just gave him the win.

ink
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
oh, and:

stop this madness.

:up:

I can't think of anything the provokes a :yawn: more than **** like this. Let's start threads about stuff on the court that actually matters.

Teeboy1487
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I did not take offense to Lebron not shaking the hands of his opponents , but he should have at least talked to the media after the game. To me , that was unprofessional and he should have received a fine. When he was taking fake pictures with his "invisible" camera, he always talked to the media. When things went bad, he acted like a spoiled toddler. Still, I think everyone is overreacting to all of this. I have seen a lot of professional athletes do much worse in their careers, so it's not the end of the world. I hope Lebron will carry himself better because this did hurt his image a little, but not in epic proportions like the way everyone is talking about it. In the end, everyone will forget about this once the finals start because this is the only hot topic in basketball right now. It will blow over soon enough.

ink
06-02-2009, 05:25 PM
THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU.

entertainment is entertainment. people who complain actually love it, because it gives them something to complain about.

The hilarious thing is that people don't realize that by getting UPSET about the hype, they're participating in the hype.

The media is playing you guys like a cheap instrument.

lakersrock
06-02-2009, 05:27 PM

I want to win just as bad as anyone....from a game on the computer to real sports. That doesn't negate the fact that it's still a game. Wanting to win and being a good sport is part of it.

ink
06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone keeping track of how many of these threads we've had???? I've lost count.

Hey, I know, let's do a thread about how classless KG is ...

dee279

well he shouldnt have been so big headed and did a little better practicing instead of thinking how he is going to beat kobe in the finals. The whole team thought they were going to have a easy road to the finals and Orlando knew better.

Don Starks

Look at the guys this idiot mentions, Julius Erving? Yea hes never had a moment where he totally lets his emotions get the best of him, to the point of absolute degradation of the opposing teams iconic figure. MJ or Bird didnt have to live up to all the hype surrounding LeBron, when he fails, especially in his MVP campaign when his team was favored and mouthing off it hurts him more. Again emotions get the best of people, and it usually take awhile for them to regret it.

Its not like LeBron hasnt congratulated the opposing team for winning, he just wont do it when its fresh in his mind, remember when Kobe cried in front of the spurs, maybe Bron went to go cry in private. Now that would be a sad case, but seriously its not a big deal. This time next year, if Bron is eliminated do you think he repeats this mistake?

yea, its a flaw when you are the face of the NBA. don't try to make this about emotion, when you are the best player in the league you are held to a higher standard. he wanted everything that comes with being great, so he has to take the good with the bad. he isnt held to the same standard as JR smith or even carmello because he is better then them. he is more important as a role model. thats why his emotions cant get the best of him. if you want to be the best, you are held to the highest standards.

he walked off the court last year without shaking the celtics hands, so i am sure he will doit again if he gets knocked out next year. lebron is a poor sport, he has shown how bratty he can be and i dont think he should get a pass on that anoymore.

GiantMetKnick
06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I enjoyed that article.

I really don't like Lebron so it's nice to see him finally get called out. And yea, him defending it did make it worse. It would be much better if he just admitted he made a mistake out of frustration. Immature.

ARMIN12NBA
06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Anyone keeping track of how many of these threads we've had???? I've lost count.

Hey, I know, let's do a thread about how classless KG is ...

Oooh. I'm down. We haven't had one of those for a while.

smith&wesson
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
the problem is the people who surround him arent helping him get better, or tuffer or anything.. they just praise what ever he does. Lebron might look like a grown *** man but he is still just a kid. i remember carter on the raptors had oakley on his ***, lenny wilkins, he wasnt given a red carpet every time he walked in the stadium. he was put in his place when he needed to be and that helped him grow. Lebron is obviously way better then carter, but thats not the point. the point is lebron cant walk around thinking he can do no wrong... some one needs to give him a smack in the head and say man up, your not a kid any more dont act like one. Kids are taught to be good sports and lebron is setting the exact opposite example. and that is not right. no matter how you look at it.