PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young

CrippledRam
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
The Twins' Delmon Young surfaced on the Braves' radar, but only briefly. One rival GM says Young would be a poor acquisition for several reasons. One, he offers little offensively. Two, he is out of minor-league options. Three, he might earn $2.5 million to $3 million in arbitration, and the GM says a team could find "20 hitters on the free-agent market who would be twice as productive." ... kros

Frenchy for Young straight up. New starts for both. Young has a career .888 OPS vs the NL.

lavell12
06-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I would be fine with that Deal, nothing more though. Young is a better hitter than Frenchy even though he might be even more of a headcase.

Coach100
06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Might be? He threw a bat at an umpire. I think he is clearly a headcase. Change of scenery may help, but it didn't seem to help going from Tampa to Minneapolis, so I don't know what another one would do.

AustinTheGreat
06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Delmon hasn't shown anything in the Bigs. Id rather have francoer.

NBA_Starter
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Might be? He threw a bat at an umpire. I think he is clearly a headcase. Change of scenery may help, but it didn't seem to help going from Tampa to Minneapolis, so I don't know what another one would do.

I thought this was the same guy!! I don't want any part of himi!!

maddiesbraves
06-02-2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCX_XlRYYDo:clap:

uncblue2332
06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
thats one sassy bat boy

brandonwarne52
06-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd like that Francoeur deal.

Young threw that bat when he was what, 19? Get over it people. He's been just fine in the bigs, and if you say you didn't do anything stupid when you were that age, well, maybe you're just oblivious.

njbravefan
06-02-2009, 08:12 PM
but he still hasn't done anything in the majors. Pass

brandonwarne52
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I really hope the Twins don't deal him.

howiend
06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Delmon young has no patience at the plate. He will hit for a higher average than Franceur. Franceur is better defensively. So, I say no trade. But, it wouldn't kill me if the trade was made. I don't see franceur ever being much of a player for the Braves.

Coach100
06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I was simply saying that he has already had a change of scenery and it hasn't had a big effect on his performance, so I don't know whta another would do.

atl_braves_fan
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
No thank you. I would prefer to ride it out with the current crop of outfielders than to give up prospects for the slightest chance of an improvement.

BravoFan3736
06-03-2009, 03:19 AM
I was simply saying that he has already had a change of scenery and it hasn't had a big effect on his performance, so I don't know whta another would do.

But a change to the NL might do wonders for him. As the initial poster mention his career .888 OPS vs the NL would be great in the OF. This could be a better opportunity to save face with Frenchy and send him to the twins. If Young doesn't produce than it will be much easier to release Young than Frenchy next year. It's gamble but Young has the higher cieling but has not done much in the ML so far. Switching problem for another problem doesn't solve are OF issue and would have to go out and get another bat but it will help the Braves FO to make this type of move in order get some type of return or else we could simple DFA him and get nothing. Dyoung past history of behavior as kid is just that in the past and should be treated has an adult now. If he screws up now he gets cut, this is a non issue IMO for reason to not deal for him because he made a mental lapse in judgement as a 19 yr old.

At the end it could be worth the shot and would do this deal because Frenchy's days are numbered here and the braves would like to get something of value in return. Though Young is not the answer to our OF problems rather a project that a change of address could make the differrance for both players.

We will see

nps6724
06-03-2009, 07:55 AM
In 2 full seasons in the majors, Young has put up a good BA, but like Frenchy he strikes out too much, doesn't walk nearly enough, and hits into a ton of DPs. His HR high is 13. His career BABIP is pretty high so if he ever falls back down to the league average, he'll be just like Francoeur in every way.

He has played well in interleague play, but it's only 138 total PA. I think it's more of a statistical anomaly than anything else. Hell, his BABIP is .427 in interleague play, which should tell you how real those numbers are.

rtgthree
06-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I would swap Frenchy for Young. Mr. Brandon Warne up there is a big Twins fan who knows what he's talking about, so it seems that such a deal would be accepted by Twins faithful as well. If nothing else, we need to get rid of Frenchy, and sometimes it's better to take the devil you don't know than the devil you do. Perhaps our coaching staff can help Young in a way that they couldn't help Frenchy, and vise versa for Minnesota.

I can't see a whole lot of ways for the Braves to divest themselves of Jeff Francoeur, but this is one of the more viable suggestions.

CrippledRam
06-03-2009, 07:52 PM
=]

brandonwarne52
06-03-2009, 10:44 PM
I would swap Frenchy for Young. Mr. Brandon Warne up there is a big Twins fan who knows what he's talking about, so it seems that such a deal would be accepted by Twins faithful as well. If nothing else, we need to get rid of Frenchy, and sometimes it's better to take the devil you don't know than the devil you do. Perhaps our coaching staff can help Young in a way that they couldn't help Frenchy, and vise versa for Minnesota.

I can't see a whole lot of ways for the Braves to divest themselves of Jeff Francoeur, but this is one of the more viable suggestions.

Definitely. Thanks too.