PDA

View Full Version : Ratings 'Way Up' for this year's playoffs

superkegger
06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjJrQsGMzRq8Ltptxz0sOLW8vLYF?slug=ap-playoffs-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—TV viewership is way up for the NBA playoffs.

Ratings for the Western Conference finals on ESPN increased 32 percent from the network’s conference finals coverage last year. The Eastern Conference finals on TNT were up 30 percent from its conference finals coverage in 2008.

For the entire playoffs, TNT’s ratings were up 19 percent from a year ago. ESPN’s increased 12 percent.

ManRam
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
LeBron and Kobe = a lot of viewers. The Magic and Nuggets are likable teams, and typical underdogs (reasonable chance of upsets too).

Not too shocking.

AIverson
06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't understand it...

The quality of basketball in these playoffs wasn't as good as previous years. I'm guessing more of peoples' favorite players were in this year?

bahama0811
06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't understand it...

The quality of basketball in these playoffs wasn't as good as previous years. I'm guessing more of peoples' favorite players were in this year?

Are you serious? The quality of play in these playoffs have been great. Every series has been pretty damn good. A lot of intriguing matchups and its been fun.

AIverson
06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Are you serious? The quality of play in these playoffs have been great. Every series has been pretty damn good. A lot of intriguing matchups and its been fun.

It was ok at times, but the refs this year just made it a real pain to watch.

bahama0811
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM

I agree the officiating has been bad but when they've been allowed to play its been good basketball. It probably also helped for me that the Nuggets were still playing.:)

dee279
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Thats every year

AIverson
06-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Meh, I like regurlar season ball better anyways...

kblo247
06-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Kobe Doin Work
23 and 24 Dream documentary
Kobe and Lebron puppets
Kobe and Lebron Vitamin Water

They basically advertised Kobe and Lebron before and throughout the whole playoffs and they benefited from it

IDB Josh M
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
People watch the WCF to see if the Lakers will lose, and not because Los Angeles has the 2nd largest market. People watched the ECF to see if Lebron will lose, not because Lebron is that big of a draw.

JordansBulls
06-02-2009, 12:23 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjJrQsGMzRq8Ltptxz0sOLW8vLYF?slug=ap-playoffs-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

Spurs for some reason always have the worst ratings.

LakersOrNothing
06-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Did the ratings REALLY go up? Or should we blame the economy for being so bad that more people are spending more time at home watching TV?

I'm leaning towards the bad economy, causing households to tune in

Knowledge
06-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Did the ratings REALLY go up? Or should we blame the economy for being so bad that more people are spending more time at home watching TV?

The fact that a lot of the best players played together in the Olympics may have added a another level of interest too. Seeing former Olympic teammates turn to rivals was very interesting to me.

Of course I would watch the playoffs no matter who played, but still.

effen5
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I think a lot of people started watching after they saw how exciting the Bulls Boston series was.

marlinsfan24
06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Spurs for some reason always have the worst ratings.

For me, I love watching them play. I guess people enjoy watching sloppy ball games over the way the game should be run.

This playoffs have been great. I'm not surprised. But the reffing has been as bad as I have ever seen it. Imagine the playoffs with robot refs this year:D

marlinsfan24
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM

I agree. More and more people have to stay home and just watch tv as gas is wayy expensive.

DirecTV and Dsh Network sells went way up this year

eBayGEEK
06-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Kobe Doin Work
23 and 24 Dream documentary
Kobe and Lebron puppets
Kobe and Lebron Vitamin Water

They basically advertised Kobe and Lebron before and throughout the whole playoffs and they benefited from it

Everything is set around Kobe and LeBron, Can they fix this years finals to make it Kobe vs LeBron ?

pippsux
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Entertainment factor is way up. Casual fans are getting back into NBA, there are a plethora of superstars, very good teams, human drama and controversy. As a wise man once said, controversy creates cash. I do agree that the Spurs not contending was a good thing. Great team, great coach great franchise, but very boring.