PDA

View Full Version : Would Charlotte be where Orlando is if...?

Missing56&33
06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Simple question, would the Charlotte Bobcats be the Orlando Magic had the Magic picked Emeka Okafor over DH. Thoughts? Explain why or why not.

IMO yes because hes that good and that much better than EO but no way is Orlando at the bottom of the league with EO either.....interesting. I guess its a credit to the Magic management. Its better than Charlotte's right now. I think MJ was a much better basketball player than GM.

VCaintdead17
06-01-2009, 07:06 PM
mehh, hard to tell. Both teams could look alot different today.

ManRam
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
No. Hedo, Shard and Nelson are all all-stars. Who on Charlotte can say the same?

Dwight is faaaaaaar from being the sole reason the Magic have made it this far.

IndyRealist
06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't remember it ever being a discussion about whether to take Dwight or Emeka. Maybe I forgot?

nyKnicks126
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Man! Charlotte would be the best defensive team in the league if they had Dwight Howard!

Howard
Diaw
Wallace
Bell
Felton

crazy..!

ManRam
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't remember it ever being a discussion about whether to take Dwight or Emeka. Maybe I forgot?

There was a TON of debate. Dwight was the high schooler with a lot of upside, very, very raw skills, and not a sure thing. Emeka was the sure thing...who wouldn't be a mega-star, but just a solid big man for a loooong time.

Emeka was the safe pick.
Dwight was the riskier option.

mikantsass
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Simple question, would the Charlotte Bobcats be the Orlando Magic had the Magic picked Emeka Okafor over DH. Thoughts? Explain why or why not.

IMO yes because hes that good and that much better than EO but no way is Orlando at the bottom of the league with EO either.....interesting. I guess its a credit to the Magic management. Its better than Charlotte's right now. I think MJ was a much better basketball player than GM.

That depends. Do the Bobcats acquire Turkoglu, Lewis, Lee, Pietrus, Nelson, Alston and Gortat along with Howard?

Swift n Sil3nt
06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
There was a TON of debate. Dwight was the high schooler with a lot of upside, very, very raw skills, and not a sure thing. Emeka was the sure thing...who wouldn't be a mega-star, but just a solid big man for a loooong time.

Emeka was the safe pick.
Dwight was the riskier option.

that and Howard guaranteed he would be one of the best big men to play the game in the past 15 years.

Missing56&33
06-01-2009, 07:46 PM
That depends. Do the Bobcats acquire Turkoglu, Lewis, Lee, Pietrus, Nelson, Alston and Gortat along with Howard?

obviously no because Charlotte's management had a different way of thinking but if you took the same players they have now and put DH at center they could contend. Diaw, Wallace, Agustine, .....they have talent and LB could get them to the finals with DH in there. you put the above players you mentioned from Orlando with EO at center they prolly lose to the Cavs or this Charlotte team with DH.....interesting. DH has clearly arrived as a legitimate force at center in the league

op12
06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
if he was there now and everybody else came in the same they would be around the top of the east. we dont have a great scorer like lewis or a guy like hedo. felton and wallace would be good scoring options and dwight would give diaw a lot of room to work. we also arent near as good from 3 so that helps the magic a lot. maybe not a title contender, but close to it.

dos132
06-01-2009, 09:41 PM
maybe yes.... but dwight si now on magic. and emeka is on boooobscat...

td0tsfinest
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
man I hate what ifs...What if Raptors drafted Igoudala, Jefferson, Josh/JR Smith or absolutely anybody else in the draft, maybe VC wouldn't have left the Raptors.

If Magic and Bobcats had switched picks, I don't see Charlotte in the Finals just cause Hedo, Rashard have been big part of the whole thing. And I don't think a team of Dwight Howard and Raymond Felton would lead a team to the finals. Even though Charlotte has some good players, they do not have "Eastern Conference Contendor" players.

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
No. Hedo, Shard and Nelson are all all-stars. Who on Charlotte can say the same?

Dwight is faaaaaaar from being the sole reason the Magic have made it this far.

you have officially gone off the reservation. maybe we would be good without the DPOY, best center in the league, leading rebounding and shotblocker, most ppg for a center. maybe nelson wouldve scored 40points and 13boards vs Lebron.

had we taken okafor (which i can honestly sit here and say i demanded) i can guarantee the next season we'd be taken deron williams or cp3 at #1 in 05

paul/dwill,lee,turk,lewis and okafor? nawwwwwwwwwwww no finals

juggla53
06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Both teams would probabley look so much different right now because orlando wouldnt have given that huge contract to rashard lewis without such a dominate low post player for him to play off of and charlotte probabley would have gotten better quicker with howard instead of okafor and probabley would have been more in the market to trade some of their younger players to aquire more talent.

ManRam
06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
you have officially gone off the reservation. maybe we would be good without the DPOY, best center in the league, leading rebounding and shotblocker, most ppg for a center. maybe nelson wouldve scored 40points and 13boards vs Lebron.

had we taken okafor (which i can honestly sit here and say i demanded) i can guarantee the next season we'd be taken deron williams or cp3 at #1 in 05

paul/dwill,lee,turk,lewis and okafor? nawwwwwwwwwwww no finals

I have no idea what you're saying...

I said "No", Charlotte wouldn't be in the Finals if they had Dwight, and we wouldn't be in the Finals either if we had Emeka. My point was our supporting cast is A LOT better than what Emeka has. Dwight can't do it by himself.

Don't know how you misinterpreted that.

I thought the whole point of this was to compare Charlotte and Orlando's rosters as is if only Howard and EO were switched. Who's to say we would have gotten CP or Deron? Where did that come from???

bahama0811
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
It's pretty tough to say. With the surrounding cast in Charlotte I'd say no. I'd say D. Howard's surrounding team in Orlando is much better.

Evolution=FACT
06-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Think about this. They would have had j-rich, felton, gerald wallace, and dwight on the same team. they would be very good. J-rich may have stayed a little longer there.

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 11:52 PM
PG Felton/Augustin
SG Bell/
SF G. Wallace/Radmanovic
PF Diaw/Radmanovic
C D12/Diop

We might not be exactly where the Magic are right now but that's a dang good team esp. competing in the East.

IversonIsKrazy
06-02-2009, 01:22 AM
im not a fan of the What Ifs threads but i'll answere it.

C: Howard
PF: Diaw
SF: G-Force
SG: Bell
PG: Felton

I would say they would be a solid 6th seeded team. Not as good as Magic though.

DerekRE_3
06-02-2009, 01:35 AM
If you just straight up replace Okafor with Dwight, I'd say the Bobcats are a playoff team, but they wouldn't be finals bound. What makes the Magic so good is that they have Dwight surrounded with shooters. He wouldn't have that as much with the Bobcats. Felton is an ok 3 point shooter (if he's open), Bell is a pretty good 3 point shooter...but Gerald Wallace is definitely not a shooter. He can hit one in the corner if he's wide open, but other than that, he's pretty inconsistent from that range. Their defense would be pretty sick though with Felton, Bell, Wallace, and Dwight.

MickeyMgl
06-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I think MJ was a much better basketball player than GM.

Ya think?
:eyebrow:

Denver-boy
06-02-2009, 01:52 AM
no way... now if they traded to get Lebron.. different story

black1605
06-02-2009, 01:58 AM
for the umpteenth time, Rod Higgens is the GM for the Bobcats

DerekRE_3
06-02-2009, 02:03 AM
for the umpteenth time, Rod Higgens is the GM for the Bobcats

I know man...I get tired of explaining that as well. Also...Larry Brown basically has MJ's ear on all personnel moves.

superkegger
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
It's impossible to know. That was 5 years ago, do the Bobcats make the same good moves the Magic did to surround Dwight with the talent the Magic did? Who knows. My guess would be no. If you just switch Dwight and Emeka now, then the obvious answer is no. Bobcats would be playoff team probably, but not a championship contender.

JDizzle
06-02-2009, 03:29 PM
nah bobcats would be alot better but not in the finals maybe 1st round exit playoff team by now

king4day
06-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Man! Charlotte would be the best defensive team in the league if they had Dwight Howard!

Howard
Diaw
Wallace
Bell
Felton

crazy..!

That wouldn't be their team had to been fortunate to grab Howard.
So much changes, starting with the success of the team.

That said, if you gave me that bobcat team you mentioned, or todays Magic team, I think I'd have to take the Cats.

mikantsass
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
obviously no because Charlotte's management had a different way of thinking but if you took the same players they have now and put DH at center they could contend. Diaw, Wallace, Agustine, .....they have talent and LB could get them to the finals with DH in there. you put the above players you mentioned from Orlando with EO at center they prolly lose to the Cavs or this Charlotte team with DH.....interesting. DH has clearly arrived as a legitimate force at center in the league

Well i'll give you some credit, Diaw Wallace and Augustine are all nice players. They definately do not compare to Lewis Hedo and Lee/Nelson though. Maybe in the next few years they will be as good or better but not right now. Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt Raja Bell start over Augustine?

NBA_Starter
06-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Well i'll give you some credit, Diaw Wallace and Augustine are all nice players. They definately do not compare to Lewis Hedo and Lee/Nelson though. Maybe in the next few years they will be as good or better but not right now. Correct me if i'm wrong but didnt Raja Bell start over Augustine?

Augustin started near the end of the season when Bell was out injured. Bell was the original starter though.

ManRam
06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
That wouldn't be their team had to been fortunate to grab Howard.
So much changes, starting with the success of the team.

That said, if you gave me that bobcat team you mentioned, or todays Magic team, I think I'd have to take the Cats.

Are you serious?

The Magic have three all-stars besides Howard, and that doesn't include Pietrus and Lee, who are great players. The Cats have no all-stars.

Nelson/Alston>>Felton/DJ
Lee/Pietrus>>Raja
Hedo>>Wallace
Lewis>Diaw

The Magic bench is also a lot better than the Cats'. Pietrus, Gortat, Alston, Battie, Redick etc. are better than Radmonovic, Augustin, Juwan, Diop, May and Nazr.

TheShock45
06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
you can say that with many of the orlando players tho, that they shouldnt be there

just think of it like this, orlando is made up of a bunch of moves they werent suppose to do, and i guess in the nba multiple wrongs soon make a right

Missing56&33
06-02-2009, 05:59 PM

This is what you have to consider....If DH was on the current Charlotte team, he would give them the edge over the current Orlando team with EO at center. Hedo, Lee Nelson those guys game has opened up due to DH presence down low, he cleans up nice too. I give the edge to Charlotte based on DH would dominate EO. Diaw, Bell, Wallace, felton can get it going as well.

Ballah0liC1
06-02-2009, 10:34 PM
if orlando picked emeka than tmac would have stayed

DerekRE_3
06-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Are you serious?

The Magic have three all-stars besides Howard, and that doesn't include Pietrus and Lee, who are great players. The Cats have no all-stars.

Nelson/Alston>>Felton/DJ
Lee/Pietrus>>Raja
Hedo>>Wallace
Lewis>Diaw

The Magic bench is also a lot better than the Cats'. Pietrus, Gortat, Alston, Battie, Redick etc. are better than Radmonovic, Augustin, Juwan, Diop, May and Nazr.

Hedo is not that much better than Wallace. Wallace lead all SF's in rebounding and is a very good defender. Plus he can get to the rim (and the free throw line) at will. He also improved his free throw shooting and shot 81% from the line last season. He's a very underrated passer and is great at hitting Okafor and Diaw inside when he drives.