PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers - they need to do what they can to get Vince, Rasheed or Shaq next season.

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 11:43 AM
For the Cavaliers, they need to do what they can to get Vince Carter or Shaq or even Rasheed next season.

Earlier in the year there were rumors that the Cavs would trade Wally and a pick for Vince Carter or Wally and fillers for Shaq.

Lineup
PG Mo Williams
SG Vince Carter
SF Lebron
PG Varajeo
C Big Z

or

PG Mo Williams
SG Delonte West
SF Lebron
PG Varajeo
C Shaq/Big Z

or

if Varajeo is opting out then why not get Rasheed Wallace for 2 years.

PG Mo Williams.
SG West
SF Lebron
PF Rasheed
C Big Z

Edit: Updated Rasheed to the scenario.

Now if the Cavs can get one of them how good would they be for next year? This being of course the Celtics being healthy and Orlando being fully healthy as well?

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
varejao is already opting out(h-hype) so theres another hole. to get vince he geta alot of cash and then to sign a pf,C and bench guys...........................would leave no money to sign lebron 2010. all due respect we destroyed a franchise

Big Game Son
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Varejao opting out is going to be one of the best things that can happen to that franchise. Guy is full out bad....he puts in the grit, but in the NBA that isnt enough.

Raidaz4Life
06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Please not Shaq

JayW_1023
06-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Amare would be a great piece...but problem is Amare thinks he is an elite player like LeBron, Kobe, Dwight, CP3, Wade and those guys.

Bluffmasta
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
well looks like ben might retire leaves somewhat of ahole on defence, and cant trade his contract away if he does retire, maybe sign someone like ben gordan to a mid level and he can provide sum secondary scoring or maybe come off the bench like he is doing in chicago. That would allow lebron and mo to do what they do and when one of them comes off another legit scorer.

what54!?
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
well looks like ben might retire leaves somewhat of ahole on defence, and cant trade his contract away if he does retire, maybe sign someone like ben gordan to a mid level and he can provide sum secondary scoring or maybe come off the bench like he is doing in chicago. That would allow lebron and mo to do what they do and when one of them comes off another legit scorer.
I'm pretty sure gordon wants to get paid so I don't see him taking the MLE

king4day
06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Players considering the Cavs as a long term home will want to make sure LBJ remains there before signing. So outside of a major trade, it'll be very difficult for them to lure anyone there for cheap.

philab
06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
varejao is already opting out(h-hype) so theres another hole. to get vince he geta alot of cash and then to sign a pf,C and bench guys...........................would leave no money to sign lebron 2010. all due respect we destroyed a franchise

Whoa, whoa, now. Great win and all props to the Magic, but the Cavaliers haven't been destroyed. Let's be serious now.

First, the Cavs can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, i.e., LeBron in 2010/2011.
Second, unlike nearly every other team, the Cavaliers are willing to SPEND money this offseason. This is an advantage not only in FA (for obvious reasons) but in the trade market also, as the financially-strapped teams will be looking to unload large contracts in exchange for little compensation in terms of talent or picks.
Third, the team isn't horrible as is. They did win 66 games and make it to Game 6 of the ECF. Disappointing overall, I agree, but crazy things happen from year to year.

It's too bad Boozer is basically a non-option in Cleveland. I'd love to see him here despite his past transgression(s).

Some FA I think Cleveland should take a good look at:
Okur
Artest (I was screaming for him last year -- wonder how things would have turned out with him and no Mo)
Odom
Harrington
Ariza
Pachulia
Lee
Felton
Maxiell
Warrick

If Cleveland could swing one of the top 3-5 or two of the bottom 5ish, they would improve dramatically. Big IF, obviously, but given their willingness to spend, a very plausible IF.

My guess is that Cleveland may also look at the likes of: Shaq, Carter, Kidd, Bibby, Andre Miller, and 'Sheed. I'm not too crazy on any of these guys, but something is probably better than nothing in the Cavaliers' current situation.

TheChosenOne88
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Not at all lol, unlike the Magic's owner and GM, the Cavs owner doesn't care what it costs to bring a championship to Cleveland. Why would he spend 25 million on a practice facility? Why would we take on Wally and Big Ben's huge contracts last season? Why were we trying to trade for Shaq at the trade deadline? Not trying to start something, but you guys might not be able to keep Turk next season unless you dump salary or by some miracle he takes a pay cut because your GM publicly said he won't go over the cap next season.

Storch
06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
VC should be a good idea, although he's getting pretty old...

Lakergirl24
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Both are old and on the downside of their careers. Shaq rarely is healthy to complete a full season. I think they would want to get younger rather than older.

Dynasty
06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Vince Carter is not leaving the Nets...the Nets are NOT rebuilding, even the GMs say it

Mr.ATLHawks
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM

LOL if you think Ben Gordon (in a year where there is absolutely no FA's) is going to sign for a mid level then you are high...

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
ok if Varajeo is opting out then why not get Rasheed Wallace for 2 years.

PG Mo Williams.
SG West
SF Lebron
PF Rasheed
C Big Z

Mr.ATLHawks
06-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Varejao opting out is going to be one of the best things that can happen to that franchise. Guy is full out bad....he puts in the grit, but in the NBA that isnt enough.

I dont think Varajeo is as bad as people think. i saw him develop quite nicely offensively this year. He was definitely playing out of position at Center ALOT. He is young, but he is definitely improving. He def hustles and provides the grit for any team. I expect him to get paid as well...

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Not at all lol, unlike the Magic's owner and GM, the Cavs owner doesn't care what it costs to bring a championship to Cleveland. Why would he spend 25 million on a practice facility? Why would we take on Wally and Big Ben's huge contracts last season? Why were we trying to trade for Shaq at the trade deadline? Not trying to start something, but you guys might not be able to keep Turk next season unless you dump salary or by some miracle he takes a pay cut because your GM publicly said he won't go over the cap next season.

ok think of this, right now you guys got holes all on your roster. to get a young pf for kg and dwight is gonna COST. a center, the endangered species they are will COST. bigger guards will COST. then who's gonna sign a long term deal with Lebron unsure waht he's doing? who wants to leave in the mistake by the lake w/o bron?
now think if you guys do address your problems this offseason,the money itll cost-LOL WONT CRAP BE LEFTOVER TO OFFER LEBRON THE 7/140 MAX DEAL without cutting people ,then your right back to the problem you have of today.
so like i said we destroyed your franchise. and to bring up wallace and wally like i think your joking. and a 25mil practice building? who cares. that was all for bron and he's gon bro face it he loves jayz more than akron. i wasnt saying it to whine up guys up its just the truth.

cmstophe
06-01-2009, 04:07 PM

WOW.

No. No, you didnt. Not even close.

jacquewho?
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
They need help down low more than anything else. Big Z looks like he would rather stay outside now instead of down low (where he should be) to take the 3. Varejao isn't the best either. Ben Wallace isn't anything more either. Signing Rasheed Wallace won't make anything better, and the only way to improve this team is by going after Boozer in S/T or by trading for Shaq, cause there is no toughness down low right now.

tMoNEy24
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Let Ben Wallace Go, Hes Nothing anymore. Itd be good to get 'Sheed Stretches the floor creates more space for LeBron and when he does drive can kick out

philab
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
ok think of this, right now you guys got holes all on your roster. to get a young pf for kg and dwight is gonna COST. a center, the endangered species they are will COST. bigger guards will COST. then who's gonna sign a long term deal with Lebron unsure waht he's doing? who wants to leave in the mistake by the lake w/o bron?
now think if you guys do address your problems this offseason,the money itll cost-LOL WONT CRAP BE LEFTOVER TO OFFER LEBRON THE 7/140 MAX DEAL without cutting people ,then your right back to the problem you have of today.
so like i said we destroyed your franchise. and to bring up wallace and wally like i think your joking. and a 25mil practice building? who cares. that was all for bron and he's gon bro face it he loves jayz more than akron. i wasnt saying it to whine up guys up its just the truth.

Again, you can go over the cap to re-sign your own players. So, umm, **** off and stop baiting.

prodigy
06-01-2009, 05:48 PM
If we have no shot at a trade for bosh, then I hope we can either get boozer or make a trade for another all-star player, mybe al harrington? But if not, then these are the free agent players i want.

- resign AV. If he wants 10+ mill, then he can go somewhere else.

- Sign jason kidd as a backup PG(already said he would like to play for us and come off the bench)

- ZAZA, hard nosed player, strong rebounder, reminds me of AV with more offense.

- Z will most likely pick up his option, we can renegotiate his contract so its more friendly for us. Which I think Z will agree with.

my 2009 roster.

PG- mo williams/ jason kidd
SG- West/sasha
SF- Lebron/marquis daniels
PF- Boozer/AV/ZAZA
C- Z/ sheed wallace(yes)

If AV wants to much money, then I say forget him and go after harrington. he might cost little more then AV, But he does more.

chris anderson, Kobe, hedo, Bibby, ariza, These guys are not leaving, So don't even talk about them.

IversonIsKrazy
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
They need a post player, not a SG. They should attempt to try getting these guys:

Al Harrington - NY is saving money for 2010 and wont resign him, he would be an athletic and ball handling PF.

Mehmet Okur - Jazz might not have enough money, plus Okur wants more $$. He might be very good alongside LeBron.

Lamar Odom - Ariza's contract is going to be worth more, Kobes gunna get an extention, Bynum just got an extention. Its going to come down to either re-signing Ariza or Odom, and there gunna choose Ariza. Odom's versatality can be used well in Cleveland.

PG: Mo-Will
SG: D-West
SF: LeBron
PF: Harrington
C: Big Z

-or-

PF: Okur

-or-

PF: Odom

AIverson
06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Iverson to Cavs!

Please... Ride Lebron's back to a free ring.

Hermie13
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Cavs need a bigger 2-guard. Redd would be perfect and may be gettable.

The also need a big man. BOTH can be gotten this summer as we've got some pieces to move and aren't afraid to spend.

I'd go after Artest and a trade for a big-man like Camby or Shaq.

lol, and the Magic did not destroy a franchise. You guys won and great for you, but the Cavs were 3 points from winning that series. They get a big man and they win easily.

AIverson
06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Cavs need a bigger 2-guard. Redd would be perfect and may be gettable.

The also need a big man. BOTH can be gotten this summer as we've got some pieces to move and aren't afraid to spend.

I'd go after Artest and a trade for a big-man like Camby or Shaq.

lol, and the Magic did not destroy a franchise. You guys won and great for you, but the Cavs were 3 points from winning that series. They get a big man and they win easily.

Bucks aren't going to trade him to the Cavs, and Iverson would be a better fit than Redd. AI brings a lot of what the Cavs need at the guard position.

kblo247
06-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Bucks aren't going to trade him to the Cavs, and Iverson would be a better fit than Redd. AI brings a lot of what the Cavs need at the guard position.

AI doesn't bring spot up shooting, man to man D, rebounding, effort in practice, solid leadership, or ability to play without the ball

I would go

Mo
West
Lebron
AK47 (trade Ben and let them buy him out)
Sheed (let mop top walk)

rabzouz 96
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM
maybe the cavs can sign jamal crawford

RaiderLakersA's
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Lamar Odom - Ariza's contract is going to be worth more, Kobes gunna get an extention, Bynum just got an extention. Its going to come down to either re-signing Ariza or Odom, and there gunna choose Ariza. Odom's versatality can be used well in Cleveland.

I've read that same assessment in many places. As I understand it, everyone but Pau has said that they'd be willing to work their deals in order to keep the team intact. That said, Mitch isn't one to stand pat on posterity, if there is a move that improves the team. How the Lakers fare in the Finals will determine how he proceeds.

Getting back to the original post, if you get Shaq, he'll be another year older and another year slower. He's great in short spurts, but I don't think Shaq all by himself is the answer. And I say that with ultimate respect for his accomplishments.

Rasheed Wallace would be intriguing, if he can keep his temper in check.

Vince Carter is not the answer.

Allen Iverson is not the answer. At least not the answer in this context.

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Iverson to Cavs!

Please... Ride Lebron's back to a free ring.

Actually they may need him.

GREATNESS ONE
06-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I am just happy they didnt get Shaq this year.

AIverson
06-01-2009, 09:47 PM
AI doesn't bring spot up shooting, man to man D, rebounding, effort in practice, solid leadership, or ability to play without the ball

Ok, now let's look at what Iverson does bring: First off, he would be a guy around Lebron who can get their own offense at any time, something the Cavs could have really used against Orlando and other good teams. Let's face it - Mo Williams is just a spot up shooter and pick & roll player. A solid player player, but not someone you would want as your 2nd all-star.

Iverson is also another ball handler - another thing the Cavs could use. Right now, Lebron is forced to handle the ball so much, because there isn't any other guy on that team who can create offense. How many times do we see Lebron playing 1 on 5 with the other guys just standing there? With Iverson on that team, you bring in another guy who can create offense for not only himself, but for team mates as well. This makes Lebron better because now he can play off the ball more and punish defenders in the post, or just get into better scoring position. He can also create turn overs and get into the open court with Lebron.

Actually they may need him.

I'm Iverson would really contribute. But Lebron is Lebron. Iverson is going to look like 01 AI playing along side this guy.

koreancabbage
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
maybe the cavs can sign jamal crawford

with what money?

they are WAY over the cap next year and only have money to sign their own players or minimum vet or minimum.

lets be real,,, barring any trades (come on, who wants Wally now?) this team is going to look the same next year.

you might get AI next year for vets min. but AI would have to start before he comes off the bench. he'll get killed as the SG on defense and his offense isn't the same as he was before. And you're playing with LeBron. for AI to succeed, he needs the ball in his hand.

AIverson
06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
with what money?

they are WAY over the cap next year and only have money to sign their own players or minimum vet or minimum.

lets be real,,, barring any trades (come on, who wants Wally now?) this team is going to look the same next year.

you might get AI next year for vets min. but AI would have to start before he comes off the bench. he'll get killed as the SG on defense and his offense isn't the same as he was before. And you're playing with LeBron. for AI to succeed, he needs the ball in his hand.

My thing is... why would you want to bring AI off the bench instead of Mo Williams? Mo Williams' high volume 3pt shooting is a much better fit for that 6th man role. Iverson isn't going to shoot 33% in a big playoff series when you need him the most. There's enough ball for both Lebron and Iverson, so I don't see the problem. Also, he wouldn't play the SG. He would play the PG and guard other PG's with Lebron being the true playmaker. Seriously, Iverson is better than getting nothing and sitting back watching the other Elite teams in the East only get better (KG and Nelson coming back).

3RDASYSTEM
06-01-2009, 10:35 PM
AI and JAMES would mesh better than AI/MELO and they did fine...AI is a gunner/ballhog/assassin and wateva else ya want to call him, but check the history and hes a scorer, JAMES is in the MAGIC/KIDD/OSCAR mold so he would luv to have a guy who wants to score cuz hes a passer/creator by nature and plus can get 40-50 any night, it would benefit really come playoff time, WEST is big enough to guard the other team 2's, plus if AI is healthy he is basically a big man cuz he gets in the paint and thats more opp. for JAMES

juggla53
06-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Im not sure how much of an upgrade resheed wallace is over verjao at this point, besides the fact that anderson always plays hard and sheed kind of plays when he wants to

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 11:55 PM

PG Mo Williams.
SG West
SF Lebron
PF Rasheed
C Big Z

We need VC also or at least someone taller than 6'0 ish on the wings and then we'd be on to something. Sheed would be a Great pick up simply because he can guard D12, etc. one on one and be effective.

cmstophe
06-02-2009, 12:31 AM
with what money?

You are a fool if you think this team will look anything like it does now by the end of the 09-10 season.

If it does, as a Cavs fan, I will submit that James deserves better and needs to leave.

koreancabbage
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM
You are a fool if you think this team will look anything like it does now by the end of the 09-10 season.

If it does, as a Cavs fan, I will submit that James deserves better and needs to leave.

why am i a fool? the cavs got homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and had the best record in the NBA this past season. if anything Lebron didn't do as much as he did in terms of scoring output. his PPG dipped by 2 points and minutes played went down by almost 3 minutes, while everything stayed the same.

that means his teammates provided the "OOMPH" to get James and Cleveland this far. Okay, so his teammates choked in these playoffs. This is probably one of the best Cleveland teams by far since James arrived.

Are there any tradeable assets on this team? not much. Why break up a good team when they have done well these past 3 seasons? Championships don't grow on trees and Rome wasn't built in a day. This is a good cohesive unit that just choked in this round.

i'm pretty sure the core of this team will not change via trades. maybe some small signings here and there but nothing big (except AI)

nickster16301
06-02-2009, 12:59 AM
shaq would have put the cavs in the finals...he gets way too much disrespect
shaq would have neutralized howard causing no need for double team which left so many of their jump shooters wide open...if they go in with their big men they have next year than they have no shot of going to the finals if they go up against orlando...shaq would also make lebron better as well...no matter how old he is he still draws in the extra man down low...with shaq and lebron it would eathier be double up on lebron and lebron drives to the hoop and oops it to shaq or double on shaq which would leave lebron to go one on one with his man...and there is absolutely no one who can guard lebron straight up

nickster16301
06-02-2009, 01:22 AM
here are some stats for people who would settle for z over shaq

z: avg min-27.2 games-65 rebounds-7.5 points-12.9 blocks-1.3

shaq: avg min-30 games-75 rebounds-8.5 points:17.9 blocks-1.4

i wont even mention rasheed wallace's stat line is because i am tired and dont want to waste time posting god awful stats on this website....go ahead though he slow he doesnt score like he used too but hey go out and get rasheed he is only a couple years younger than shaq and can guard dwight howard in the post(not)...

Lakers4ItAll
06-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Sheed would be a great pickup exsp if the Cav's can get him to play on the block more to take pressure off of Lebron. If Shaq is looking healthy he too would be a good fit.

Lakers are more than likely resigning Ariza and letting Odom go so he or Pachulia I think would also help the Cav's. Basically they need big men.

Lakers4ItAll
06-02-2009, 03:29 AM
Ouch!

TopsyTurvy
06-02-2009, 04:06 AM
There are more than just a few teams with the cap space, desire, talent, and financial liquidity to go out into the upcoming FA market and make a huge splash. Not to mention there are apparently more teams out there willing to get rid of players at firesale prices to stay solvent.

I wouldn't place the Cavs into either category, but instead place an asterisk next to their name meaning they will do anything and everything to appease King James. The Cavs are in an interesting position because they will eat luxury tax if they plan on keeping their players - this is $$$ lost for not being monetarily responsible, not $xxx MIL for team facilities. If the owner has no problem writing a $20-30 Mil check just to keep the players LBJ likes around, I will applaud his testicular fortitude.

That being said, if the Cavs can somehow convince LBJ that the past several seasons were the calm before a championship winning storm and keep him around, they will always be in line for some big name moves - at the King's discretion.

todu82
06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Shaq and Vince Carter are the last 2 players that Cleveland needs.

Kakaroach
06-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm pretty sure gordon wants to get paid so I don't see him taking the MLE x2 He is gonna get paid this off-season. Eh just Sheed for season and see what happens.

mikantsass
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
For the Cavaliers, they need to do what they can to get Vince Carter or Shaq or even Rasheed next season.

Earlier in the year there were rumors that the Cavs would trade Wally and a pick for Vince Carter or Wally and fillers for Shaq.

Lineup
PG Mo Williams
SG Vince Carter
SF Lebron
PG Varajeo
C Big Z

or

PG Mo Williams
SG Delonte West
SF Lebron
PG Varajeo
C Shaq/Big Z

or

if Varajeo is opting out then why not get Rasheed Wallace for 2 years.

PG Mo Williams.
SG West
SF Lebron
PF Rasheed
C Big Z

Edit: Updated Rasheed to the scenario.

Now if the Cavs can get one of them how good would they be for next year? This being of course the Celtics being healthy and Orlando being fully healthy as well?

Big Z is going to opt out as well. He and Varejao both have player options and Wally and Joe Smtih are UFA's.

cmstophe
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
why am i a fool? the cavs got homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and had the best record in the NBA this past season. if anything Lebron didn't do as much as he did in terms of scoring output. his PPG dipped by 2 points and minutes played went down by almost 3 minutes, while everything stayed the same.

that means his teammates provided the "OOMPH" to get James and Cleveland this far. Okay, so his teammates choked in these playoffs. This is probably one of the best Cleveland teams by far since James arrived.

Are there any tradeable assets on this team? not much. Why break up a good team when they have done well these past 3 seasons? Championships don't grow on trees and Rome wasn't built in a day. This is a good cohesive unit that just choked in this round.

i'm pretty sure the core of this team will not change via trades. maybe some small signings here and there but nothing big (except AI)

Other than that $20+ million the Cavs can get rid of over the next year? And trades? There is a reason the Cavs were at the top of the bidding for Stoudemire. I'm not saying they're getting Stoudemire. I'm saying they clearly have some assets.

Ouch!

Magic fans are hilarious. Great, their team played a great series, and won, awesome. Maybe they win the Finals, maybe they don't. "We destroyed a franchise!" Give me a break. Get a life. The Cavs will assess their team, add players, get better and be right back in it next year. Last I checked, it's the Orlando Magic who are losing key players for next season.

JordansBulls
06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Big Z is going to opt out as well. He and Varejao both have player options and Wally and Joe Smtih are UFA's.

I hear Big Z wants to stay.

Cavs need Rasheed Wallace on that team to play Center if they can't get Shaq. At least Rasheed is a free agent.

mrblisterdundee
06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
The Cavaliers need to get a younger center than Shaquille. LeBron James is 24. Mo Williams is 26. Delonte West is 25. The Cavaliers are still young contenders.
It might not even be time to get a new center. Anderson Verajao could easily be made into the Cavaliers regular center.
With Ben Wallace retiring as well, the Cavaliers need to get a power forward more than anything else. Carlos Boozer would be a nice post threat. The Cavaliers have plenty of expiring contracts to pick him or another post scorer.
David Lee would be a nice pick-up for the Cavaliers as well. He could go right in to being the starting power forward, providing a rebounds, extra ball distribution, and post scoring.

TopsyTurvy
06-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Shaq and Vince Carter are the last 2 players that Cleveland needs.

True, I would put AI above those two. :D

knickjames23
06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
artest loves rockets so he will stay ,odom ariza would stay in lakers , knicks aint that dumb to give away david lee to the cavs when the knicks want lebron,

nycericanguy
06-02-2009, 03:27 PM
do u think getting Vince or Shaq is going to make Lebron stay?

Vince has maybe 2 great years left, Shaq has 1 and has a hard time playing an entire season.

The cavs are in a very difficult situation. FA's don't really want to go sign and play in Ohio. They need to make a trade for a legit 2nd option and or 3rd option. Danny Ferry has been trying the band-aid approach with guys like west, wally, ben, and MO... but those guys are nothing more than role players. Mo is a scorer and not much else, he is nowhere near a star.

Now u have Ben retiring, Wally will be gone, and Z will be a year older. Varejo might even opt out as well. He should not be starting, he is a 6th or 7th man. not a starting PF. so what does that leave the cavs with? Mo williams and west? that is a horrible core around Lebron... unless Ferry can pull something off i think we will be seeing Lebron in NY in 2010.

NY will not have a problem attracting a 2nd star to play there and to play D'antoni. PLayers love him and Amare is already lobbying to play here. Can you imagine Amare and lebron along with chandler, Danilo and whoever the knicks draft this year? That is a pretty solid young nucleus.

JordansBulls
06-02-2009, 05:00 PM
do u think getting Vince or Shaq is going to make Lebron stay?

Vince has maybe 2 great years left, Shaq has 1 and has a hard time playing an entire season.

The cavs are in a very difficult situation. FA's don't really want to go sign and play in Ohio. They need to make a trade for a legit 2nd option and or 3rd option. Danny Ferry has been trying the band-aid approach with guys like west, wally, ben, and MO... but those guys are nothing more than role players. Mo is a scorer and not much else, he is nowhere near a star.

Now u have Ben retiring, Wally will be gone, and Z will be a year older. Varejo might even opt out as well. He should not be starting, he is a 6th or 7th man. not a starting PF. so what does that leave the cavs with? Mo williams and west? that is a horrible core around Lebron... unless Ferry can pull something off i think we will be seeing Lebron in NY in 2010.

NY will not have a problem attracting a 2nd star to play there and to play D'antoni. PLayers love him and Amare is already lobbying to play here. Can you imagine Amare and lebron along with chandler, Danilo and whoever the knicks draft this year? That is a pretty solid young nucleus.

It is not going to make Lebron stay but it would increase their chances to win it all next year. Which is the point. I'm sure Ferry wouldn't care as long as they got a title.

nycericanguy
06-02-2009, 05:28 PM
It is not going to make Lebron stay but it would increase their chances to win it all next year. Which is the point. I'm sure Ferry wouldn't care as long as they got a title.

that is true, the cavs front court looked horrible against Orlando. I think either of those players would help. Although Sheed really fell off toward the end of the year.

but yea even if they did that and won the championship i dont think Lebron would want to stay because that is a very short term solution. They need somoene like Bosh, Amare or Boozer to pair up with Lebron. they need some sort of 2nd scorer and inside presence. Mo talked so much smack and all these guarantees and then he was invisible... that is not what a 2nd star does.

Missing56&33
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
honestly I dont see either one of those guys coming to Clev........everybody wants to come to the big apple to play for D'antoni....Amare, Bosh, Nash, Shaq has mentioned it and with the way Lebron is acting now with the no hand shakes.....,.I think he may want to join his Olympic coach as well.

philab
06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
You Knicks fans are incorrigible. This thread has nothing to do with LeBron to NY.

The Cavaliers are going to throw every cent imaginable at FAs and trade options this summer, for better or for worse. A Shaq, AI, VC, Kidd, etc. isn't going to make Cleveland more enticing long-term, true. To act like a failure to land an Amare, Harrington, Okur, etc. means LeBron is automatically heading to NY is lunacy. NY has nothing to offer except a big market right now. Is that enough? Hell, maybe. I really doubt LeBron wants to start over from scratch, but maybe.

My point is that all this "once we sign Amare/Bosh/JJ/whoever, LeBron is basically a Knick" talk is ridiculous. First, two max contracts is looking to be impossible, and second, it's a gigantic ****ing assumption.

SO, let's stay on topic here. LeBron is here for 1-2 years more at the very least. The Cavs are looking to win a championship in that time frame. What are their options? The Knicks, the Magic, market size, handshakes, media hype, and all that **** is irrelevant here.

Penetra8r
06-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Shaq is going to break down soon.

JPHX
06-03-2009, 03:14 AM
shaq is basically on life support. unless cleveland or any other team for that matter has a badass medical team then phoenix is really the only team that can keep him running at optimum level.

JordansBulls
06-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I also forgot to mention, but why not get Michael Redd for the Cavs?

With a trio of Mo, Redd and LBJ along with Varajeo and Big Z you got an easy title contender.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I also forgot to mention, but why not get Michael Redd for the Cavs?

With a trio of Mo, Redd and LBJ along with Varajeo and Big Z you got an easy title contender.

are the Bucks giving Michael Redd away? What exactly do the Cavs have to offer for him?

Jmac4104
06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I think they need a rasheed would be a great pick up because he is a big that can stretch the floor and open up space in the lane for lebron to work with

MSG34
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
You Knicks fans are incorrigible. This thread has nothing to do with LeBron to NY.

NY has nothing to offer except a big market right now. Is that enough? Hell, maybe. I really doubt LeBron wants to start over from scratch, but maybe.

My point is that all this "once we sign Amare/Bosh/JJ/whoever, LeBron is basically a Knick" talk is ridiculous. First, two max contracts is looking to be impossible, and second, it's a gigantic ****ing assumption.

Start from scratch? Take Lebron off the Cavs and the Knicks are better than them right now as well.

I'll take Wilson Chandler, David Lee, Danilo Gallinari, Nate Robinson, and our #8 pick over an over hyped Mo Williams whose skill set is very similiar to Delonte West, an aging Ben Wallace and Zydrunas Illguaskas and a flopping Varejao.

Rafer Alston made Mo Williams (the Cavs 2nd best player) look like the backup PG of the Bucks he used to be and we're not even taking into consideration all of his guarentee talk.

The Cavs bench couldn't even play with the Knicks. The Knicks to this date have a better supporting cast to offer Lebron

JIDsanity
06-03-2009, 04:13 PM

PG Mo Williams.
SG West
SF Lebron
PF Rasheed
C Big Z
I don't think it would work. Your C, and PF shooting the majority of your teams outside shots ? Not good

JOSKOMANG4
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Antwan Jameson..

Cavaliers trade SG/PG Daniel Gibson, PF JJ HIckson, and SG Sacho Pavlovic to the Wizards for PF Jamison and 2009 2nd rd pick.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Antwan Jameson..

Cavaliers trade SG/PG Daniel Gibson, PF JJ HIckson, and SG Sacho Pavlovic to the Wizards for PF Jamison and 2009 2nd rd pick.

why would they do that? They've committed a ton of money to Gil and Caron, and have the 5th pick. They aren't going ot be selling off Jamsion to rebuild around that crap.

sep11ie
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I think they need a rasheed would be a great pick up because he is a big that can stretch the floor and open up space in the lane for lebron to work with

Yea, then they'd be the aged Pistons

philab
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Start from scratch? Take Lebron off the Cavs and the Knicks are better than them right now as well.

I'll take Wilson Chandler, David Lee, Danilo Gallinari, Nate Robinson, and our #8 pick over an over hyped Mo Williams whose skill set is very similiar to Delonte West, an aging Ben Wallace and Zydrunas Illguaskas and a flopping Varejao.

Rafer Alston made Mo Williams (the Cavs 2nd best player) look like the backup PG of the Bucks he used to be and we're not even taking into consideration all of his guarentee talk.

The Cavs bench couldn't even play with the Knicks. The Knicks to this date have a better supporting cast to offer Lebron

First, the Cavs have little to do with this. I said that he would be virtually starting over if he went to the Knicks and thus that the Knicks certainly aren't a sure-fire bet to land LeBron. That the Cavs may [arguably] have a similar or worse core is irrelevant.

There are 28 teams besides the Knicks and the Cavaliers. Twenty-eight.

Now, if you want to play this game, keep in mind that Lee and/or Robinson will be likely gone by 2010. Remember that Z and Wallace will be gone by 2010. Delonte and Mo are decent players, on par with New York's "core" players. The trouble was a) that they were the 2nd/3rd options and b) that together, they form an undersized backcourt. It's the pairing that exposed them and created problems, so it's a bit unfair to trash both individually.

Varejao likely won't be here. And the fact that he "flops" is a) a benefit to his team and b) otherwise irrelevant. He's a valuable player who is improving. Don't let his style of play blind you.

Your #8 pick ain't getting you ****. This is a very weak draft. I'd take JJ Hickson over any player slotted for #8 right now.

The Cavs will also have tons of money to spend on other players, this summer and next. AND they will be to go over the cap to sign LeBron. The Knicks will not.

Now, I don't care whether the Knicks or Cavs have a better "core" and I certainly am not going to predict where LeBron will end up. I just think Knicks fans need to stop acting like schoolgirls about the prospect of LeBron going there. It's not all that likely right now, even assuming he leaves Cleveland. So put your panties back on, hope that management makes good moves, wait and pray.

albertc86
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Why would the Cavs want Shaq?

JordansBulls
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Why would the Cavs want Shaq?

To give them scoring and rebounding and some shot blocking down low. Shaq basically averaged 18 and 8 this year along with 1.5 blocks on 60% FG.

If he gave the Cavs 16 and 7 next year along with 1.5 blocks that would be all they need.

Rasheed Wallace only gets you around 12 and 7 and 1 bpg on 42%

In the playoffs Rasheed got 7 and 6 on 37%.

superkegger
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
To give them scoring and rebounding and some shot blocking down low. Shaq basically averaged 18 and 8 this year along with 1.5 blocks on 60% FG.

If he gave the Cavs 16 and 7 next year along with 1.5 blocks that would be all they need.

Rasheed Wallace only gets you around 12 and 7 and 1 bpg on 42%

In the playoffs Rasheed got 7 and 6 on 37%.

So what. It's not about production.

Shaq lives in the paint. Guess where LeBron is most efficient from scoring from? The paint. You can't clog up the lane on LeBron. He needs a PF who can score from the high post with range.

Kakaroach
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Shaq but wouldn't that mean that Ben Wallace cannot retire? He would be the major trading piece right?

Jason Bourne
06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Cavs need length, their too small in the backcourt.

IversonIsKrazy
06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Big Z Opts out. Sign AI & Sheed.

SG: AI
PF: Varejo
C: Sheed

Storch
06-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Shaq but wouldn't that mean that Ben Wallace cannot retire? He would be the major trading piece right?

ben wallace can just be a cap relief trading piece, which is worth a lot nowadays.

JordansBulls
06-03-2009, 07:35 PM

Shaq lives in the paint. Guess where LeBron is most efficient from scoring from? The paint. You can't clog up the lane on LeBron. He needs a PF who can score from the high post with range.

So having a guy who shoots jumpers and 42% is supposed to help him?

superkegger
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
So having a guy who shoots jumpers and 42% is supposed to help him?

I'm not saying Sheed is the answer, I'm saying Shaq isn't.

knickjames23
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Lol what you talking about starting from scracth how tell me because first off cavs without lebron are bums knicks at least got better players then them look what celtics did when they brang garnett and ray allen to the celtics dude starting from scrath dont mean nothing unless you have a talented roster around

AirJordan23
06-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Charlie V comes to mind. His defense could improve under Mike Brown's system. Right now, he lacks some tougness and ball IQ but he could do well under Brown. I'm not sure what he'd be looking for, though.

JordansBulls
06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Charlie V comes to mind. His defense could improve under Mike Brown's system. Right now, he lacks some tougness and ball IQ but he could do well under Brown. I'm not sure what he'd be looking for, though.

Why is everyone so high on Charlie Villanueva?

ggg
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
to have a chance to win it all they gotta have a 3rd option. they need a chris bosh type of player, a versitile player that can attract double teams.

kblo247
06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Surround him with players who have something to prove, and to do that take advantage of teams who needs.

Ship Ben to Phoenix for Shaq as everyone knows that he would love to say that he helped get another city a ring, and the Suns could buy Ben out for less or they can even role the dice and see if their staff can get him healthy again.

Let Joe walk.

Re-sign Wally

Move Z and Delonte to the bench to strengthen it.

Use your MLE to sign Iverson as he want s to show that he still has it and is not a cancer.

Ship Pavs and Andy to Toronto in a sign and trade for Marion so he can be the athletic 4 that he was in Phoenix and play off the ball, and those two can play that European style that the Raptors are trying to adapt.

Package Bobbie and JJ to get a guy who is a spot up shooter and doesn't mind having his offense created for him in Korver as you know that Utah needs a new big off the bench with Milsap stepping up as a starter, Deron needs a backup, and they still need time for Miles.

Starters:
- Mo
- Iverson
- Lebron
- Marion
- Shaq

Bench:
- West
- Korver
- Wally
- Z

Mo and AI can switch depending on the match up as can Marion and Lebron

West can get 1-2 minutes / Korver can get 2-3 minutes / Wally can 3-4 minutes/ Z plays backup 5

What do you guys think?

superkegger
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Well, Charlie played better defense this year, under Skiles. Who is a defensive coach, who wasn't high on Charlie because of his defense. But he committed to it more, and played better defensively this year. But I don't know how much better defensively he's going to get.

The Cavs problem is they are way over the cap. Even if Both Varejao and Big Z opt out, they're just a little bit under the cap. Which doesn't really do them all any good. And I doubt Big Z turns down 11.5 mil.

So basically, they need to find a way to bring in somebody to make a difference for the MLE, or find someone desperate to unload a productive player for cap space next year, so they can offload Ben Wallace.

MSG34
06-03-2009, 09:06 PM
First, the Cavs have little to do with this. I said that he would be virtually starting over if he went to the Knicks and thus that the Knicks certainly aren't a sure-fire bet to land LeBron. That the Cavs may [arguably] have a similar or worse core is irrelevant.

There are 28 teams besides the Knicks and the Cavaliers. Twenty-eight.

Now, if you want to play this game, keep in mind that Lee and/or Robinson will be likely gone by 2010. Remember that Z and Wallace will be gone by 2010. Delonte and Mo are decent players, on par with New York's "core" players. The trouble was a) that they were the 2nd/3rd options and b) that together, they form an undersized backcourt. It's the pairing that exposed them and created problems, so it's a bit unfair to trash both individually.

Varejao likely won't be here. And the fact that he "flops" is a) a benefit to his team and b) otherwise irrelevant. He's a valuable player who is improving. Don't let his style of play blind you.

Your #8 pick ain't getting you ****. This is a very weak draft. I'd take JJ Hickson over any player slotted for #8 right now.

The Cavs will also have tons of money to spend on other players, this summer and next. AND they will be to go over the cap to sign LeBron. The Knicks will not.

Now, I don't care whether the Knicks or Cavs have a better "core" and I certainly am not going to predict where LeBron will end up. I just think Knicks fans need to stop acting like schoolgirls about the prospect of LeBron going there. It's not all that likely right now, even assuming he leaves Cleveland. So put your panties back on, hope that management makes good moves, wait and pray.

Thank you for pointing out that the obvious that there are 28 teams in the NBA besides the Knicks and the Cavs.

Everyone is always talking about how weak this year's draft is but it's a very strong deep draft at PG. Out of Rubio, Holliday, Curry, Flynn, Jennings, Maynor, Evans itleast one of them will be stars. The Knicks have a pretty good chance of landing a bright young player at 8, and fixing a glaring whole in point guard.

Claiming that JJ Hickson will be better than anyone we draft at 8 doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can explain that to me. I don't understand what you saw in JJ Hickson's 11 minutes per game, 4 points and 2 rebounds, that you think makes him a better prospect than anyone we draft at 8.

The Knicks will also have salary cap space to sign Lebron. Judging by Walsh's moves trading away Randolph and Crawford, we can have enough salary cap to sign 2 superstars. Claiming that NY will not is just ignorant.

Amare Stoudemire has spoken about playing for NY and D'antoni. No one can deny that players want to play in D'antoni's system.

Most knicks fans aren't expecting Lebron to play here but Cavs fans that believe NY is not a possibility are just ignorant. I'm not getting my hopes up for Lebron but there is definitely a chance he will be a New York Knick come 2010.

Chronz
06-04-2009, 12:09 AM

How is Shaq going to clog the lane any more than Ben Wallace and AV? Its not as if people guard Ben Wallace anywhere hes at, going with a lineup of Shaq and Joe Smith/AV provides them much more than any other combination they currently have and now Bron has the advantage of a player who can command a double team, set better screens, create plays and collapse the defense for him. Also the Cavs play at the pace he likes to play in anyways.

Shaq lacks the mobility the Z did, but hes still a better interior defender and wouldnt have needed the same sort of help to guard Dwight. All in all, Id say having Shaq around couldve potentially have changed the outcome of the series. All Bron needed was someone to carry the load just for short stretches. Shaq can still do that, and being on a contender would invigorate his career.

Ebbs
06-04-2009, 12:59 AM
well Rasheed is done like hes garbage now so i wouldnt waste money on him. Shaq is very pricey with not lot juice left no disrespect because he was one the best. So I think vince is the best option if the possibility arose I think he would step his game up in the hopes of a ring.

samus
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
how about al harrington

i mean antawn jamy wud be good but theres no way cleveland are gonna land a good player through trading

i dunnno if harrington is free agent but he wud be good i think
he can shoot the ball well
although he''ll go 2-12 from the 3point line some nights

--- i reckon cleveland had best team they ever will have now and wont get a better team next season. although they need a proper SG or PF. though as a miami fan with half our players probably undrafted all i can say is 'at least you dont have our team" apart from wade

philab
06-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Thank you for pointing out that the obvious that there are 28 teams in the NBA besides the Knicks and the Cavs.

Everyone is always talking about how weak this year's draft is but it's a very strong deep draft at PG. Out of Rubio, Holliday, Curry, Flynn, Jennings, Maynor, Evans itleast one of them will be stars. The Knicks have a pretty good chance of landing a bright young player at 8, and fixing a glaring whole in point guard.

Claiming that JJ Hickson will be better than anyone we draft at 8 doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can explain that to me. I don't understand what you saw in JJ Hickson's 11 minutes per game, 4 points and 2 rebounds, that you think makes him a better prospect than anyone we draft at 8.

The Knicks will also have salary cap space to sign Lebron. Judging by Walsh's moves trading away Randolph and Crawford, we can have enough salary cap to sign 2 superstars. Claiming that NY will not is just ignorant.

Amare Stoudemire has spoken about playing for NY and D'antoni. No one can deny that players want to play in D'antoni's system.

Most knicks fans aren't expecting Lebron to play here but Cavs fans that believe NY is not a possibility are just ignorant. I'm not getting my hopes up for Lebron but there is definitely a chance he will be a New York Knick come 2010.

JJ Hickson is still 20 years old, only a few months older than Blake Griffin. He is about athletic as they come for someone his size. I've seen few players as explosive as Hickson, leaping-wise. He's got a good offensive arsenal and great hands.

Looking at his production this season is misleading. He didn't quite pick up the defense in time and got in Mike Brown's doghouse for some rookie mistakes. With a team on pace to win 65-70 games and with a shot at a championship, apparently Mike Brown felt it wasn't worth it to mess around with a rookie. To a degree, I can't blame him (although he sure could have helped against Howard).

If Hickson were in this draft, having stayed for his sophomore year at NC State, he'd likely be a top 5-7 pick. I feel very comfortable saying that.

As for two max contracts (i.e., LeBron and Bosh, etc. to the Knicks), it's looking to be an impossibility under the cap. I don't know how else to break it to people, but that's the situation. It doesn't have anything to do with the Knicks specifically, just the entire NBA's cap situation. As a result, the only way to offer two max contracts is to offer one of those max contracts to an in-house player. The Knicks have no such player and are instead looking for two FAs to bring in. So, only the Heat, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Hawks, and Suns (or any team dumb enough to offer a max to someone not deserving) can land two max-FAs. And even then it's unlikely.

Don't lump me in with Cavs fans here -- I know that LeBron to NY is a possibility. In a different situation, I'd think it was a fair to good possibility. Unfortunately for the Knicks, however, the falling cap, weak drafts, a lack of in-house stars, and the overall economic situation in the NBA is working against LeBron-to-NY.

In other words, it's not that I think LeBron is that loyal to Cleveland to stay. It's that, when you look at the situation objectively, he has very few options. Throwing Cleveland out for a second, Chicago and the Clippers are probably the best destinations, followed by the Nets and the Knicks. And each team has MAJOR disadvantages working against it in this situation. Cleveland does also. All of these teams, though, why are we only talking about LeBron to NY? It's a little ridiculous.

Becks2307
06-04-2009, 06:36 AM
honestly Shaq would have done a great job vs Dwight...dare i say even outplay him. Shaq is still huge, he is unmovable Dwight would have had a really tough time. Honestly could you guys see Dwight dunking it on Shaq ?

JayW_1023
06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
They should try to get Antawn Jamison...who seems to be on his way out of Washington..

MSG34
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Don't lump me in with Cavs fans here -- I know that LeBron to NY is a possibility. In a different situation, I'd think it was a fair to good possibility. Unfortunately for the Knicks, however, the falling cap, weak drafts, a lack of in-house stars, and the overall economic situation in the NBA is working against LeBron-to-NY.

In other words, it's not that I think LeBron is that loyal to Cleveland to stay. It's that, when you look at the situation objectively, he has very few options. Throwing Cleveland out for a second, Chicago and the Clippers are probably the best destinations, followed by the Nets and the Knicks. And each team has MAJOR disadvantages working against it in this situation. Cleveland does also. All of these teams, though, why are we only talking about LeBron to NY? It's a little ridiculous.

Good points and I actually agree with some of it. I just want it to be known that the Knicks offer a better supporting cast and if you think Lebron to NY is impossible (not you specifically) I think you're out of you're mind.

JordansBulls
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Good points and I actually agree with some of it. I just want it to be known that the Knicks offer a better supporting cast and if you think Lebron to NY is impossible (not you specifically) I think you're out of you're mind.

Well I do remember earlier in the year that Jalen Rose said that Lebron and Bosh would go to New York in 2010.

RaysFan
06-05-2009, 02:32 AM
NY doesn't have enough room to sign 2 max-contract free agents in 2010 unless they find a way to dump either Jeffries or Curry. Don't believe me? Just go to HoopsHype, click on salaries, and then look what those guys will count against the cap as in 2010....then remember that a max-contract for 2010 will be somewhere in the 17-18 million range. Add up those numbers, and remember that there are cap-holds of about $500k for every roster spot you have absent (up to 12 players).

kblo247
06-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Rasheed to the Cavs?

by J. Gamble
June 4, 2009 2:29 pm

My sources say that Rasheed Wallace and the Cavs are beginning talks on a two-year deal worth about $10 million per for the services of the former Piston. The move and negotiations were inspired by Dwight Howard’s dominant performance over Cleveland’s big men in the Eastern Conference Finals. And Wallace will be brought in for that very purpose, to neutralize Dwight Howard next season and help the Cavs get over the hump.

This supports what we previously reported about what it will take for Sheed to come back next year.

If this signing falls through, I’m hearing that Cleveland may do a sign and trade with the Clippers for Zach Randolph, which certainly makes sense for the Clippers since they are taking Blake Griffin No. 1 overall

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/rasheed-to-the-cavs/

- Sheed could be coming to Cleveland soon to take over the Center position

EDIT : This Just In

Charlie V likes thought of joining LeBron

by Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel
Jun. 3, 2009

Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva made the rounds at ESPN headquarters in Bristol, Conn., on Wednesday, taking part in the morning First Take program, doing a chat with ESPN Deportes and also speaking with interviewer Freddie Coleman on the Tirico & Van Pelt Show on ESPN Radio.

It's clear that Villanueva is well aware of the Bucks' difficulties in trying to re-sign him this summer, when he will be a restricted free agent. It's possible the Bucks won't even be able to make a one-year qualifying offer of $4.6 million, which they are required to do by June 30 if they want to retain the right to match offers by other clubs.

Bucks general manager John Hammond has stated the team will not exceed the luxury tax level to re-sign its free agents.

Villanueva was asked what he thought about the possibility of joining the Cleveland Cavaliers, who are expected to make some lineup changes after being ousted by Orlando in six games in the Eastern Conference finals. The Cavs were bitterly disappointed at falling short of the Finals after posting the best regular-season mark in the NBA with 66 victories.

"I understand the situation Milwaukee is in financially," Villanueva told Coleman. "They don't want to go over the cap or what not (actually the luxury tax level). Whatever team decides to make the best offer, I'm going to think about it.

"Cleveland definitely is not a bad spot. I've played with LeBron. I played with LeBron in the McDonald's All-American Game, and we played well together. Is there a possibility? Yes. Will it happen? Time will tell."

Coleman asked Villanueva if he could be a difference-maker in helping Cleveland reach the NBA Finals.

"I think I would be able to help out a lot," Villanueva said, "just the fact I bring my versatility and create mismatch problems. One of the reasons Orlando is in the Finals is because of Rashard Lewis. They have a legitimate big man (Dwight Howard) that demands attention, and they surround him with guys that can play on the perimeter."

James desperately needed some scoring help against Orlando, and former Bucks guard Mo Williams and the other Cavs struggled to provide it. The Cavs also were unable to defend effectively against Howard and could be searching for help in the post.

They also may lose power forward Anderson Varejao, who has a player option for next season. If Varejao does not return, that could free up money to spend on a free agent.

Villanueva was asked about his take on the Finals, and he said not to count out Orlando, although he picked the Los Angeles Lakers to win in seven games.

"I think this series will go all the way down to 7," Villanueva said. "A lot of people want to have Orlando as an underdog, but they're a team that surprised a lot of people, beating Boston and beating Cleveland. They beat Cleveland pretty bad.

"I always love going for the underdog; I want Orlando to win. But experience and No. 24 (Kobe Bryant), it's tough to pass on that."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/46853717.html

- CharlieV. may be the poor mans Odom/Lewis/Marion/Horry type that the Cavs need at the PF spot

Chronz
06-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Definitely, they could really use a guy like Charlie V, I forgot he was in a contract year.

JordansBulls
06-05-2009, 08:30 AM
You honestly think Charlie V will help them?

Kakaroach
06-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Well I do remember earlier in the year that Jalen Rose said that Lebron and Bosh would go to New York in 2010. Yep I remember that too lol. I think it was on NBA Coast to Coast or something. He guaranteed that those two would be going to NY and that it came from a good source. Dunno if we should believe him though lol.

philab
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't really want Villanueva. The dude chucks shots all game. He's decent and all, but we don't need a guy who uses that many possessions -- we already have the #1 guy in the league in that department.

Chronz
06-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't really want Villanueva. The dude chucks shots all game. He's decent and all, but we don't need a guy who uses that many possessions -- [B]we already have the #1 guy in the league[B] in that department.

Thats why they need someone else to help him with the chuck load.

kEviN21
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Isn't there a better expiring somewhere than Wally??

prodigy
06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

lol that made by day. Z loves cleveland. only way he's not on the cavs next season is if he retires.

I love when people talk about other teams that they have no clue about. leave these questions to cavs fans or smart NBA fans.

napa19
06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Whoa, whoa, now. Great win and all props to the Magic, but the Cavaliers haven't been destroyed. Let's be serious now.

First, the Cavs can go over the cap to re-sign their own players, i.e., LeBron in 2010/2011.
Second, unlike nearly every other team, the Cavaliers are willing to SPEND money this offseason. This is an advantage not only in FA (for obvious reasons) but in the trade market also, as the financially-strapped teams will be looking to unload large contracts in exchange for little compensation in terms of talent or picks.
Third, the team isn't horrible as is. They did win 66 games and make it to Game 6 of the ECF. Disappointing overall, I agree, but crazy things happen from year to year.

It's too bad Boozer is basically a non-option in Cleveland. I'd love to see him here despite his past transgression(s).

Some FA I think Cleveland should take a good look at:
Okur
Artest (I was screaming for him last year -- wonder how things would have turned out with him and no Mo)
Odom
Harrington
Ariza
Pachulia
Lee
Felton
Maxiell
Warrick

If Cleveland could swing one of the top 3-5 or two of the bottom 5ish, they would improve dramatically. Big IF, obviously, but given their willingness to spend, a very plausible IF.

My guess is that Cleveland may also look at the likes of: Shaq, Carter, Kidd, Bibby, Andre Miller, and 'Sheed. I'm not too crazy on any of these guys, but something is probably better than nothing in the Cavaliers' current situation.

yes and raheed would be the best pick up for them he already said and i quote{ im only looking for 8 million a year} so why not cheep price. dont resign varajio, big z, or wally world

philab
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Felton, 'Sheed, and Pachulia? Is that a pipe dream? If not, that would be an ideal offseason.

Maybe Felton, Maxiell, Okur? I hope I'm not sounding like a Knicks fan . . .

Chronz
06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Isn't there a better expiring somewhere than Wally??

Ray Allen

Also Wallys contract expires this year, so you cant trade him anymore. The Cavs made the huge mistake getting high off of their regular season record, and failed to notice the large holes in their roster.

Think about it, they couldve had, Richard Jefferson, Shaq, Antawn+Haywood.

11tg635
06-05-2009, 06:06 PM
haha any way we could get greg oden

cmstophe
06-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Well, if nothing else, you're probably the most realistic NY fan I've seen on the issue.