PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Pau Gasol

JayW_1023
06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
By Peter Vecsey from The New York Post:

Pau isn't soft ... and it's time you realize it.

Gee, what a fluke: The Lakers spread out, run their offense through Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom and shred the Nuggets defense for countless unchallenged layups and jumpers in Games 5 and 6, many by predator Kobe Bryant who often found himself alone with just one defender to shame then slay.
Kobe is Kong, overpowering, compelling and neurotic. Gasol is L.A.'s centrifugal force minus the celebratory primal screams and beating on the chest. When utilized correctly by Kobe & Co., Pau provides unanswerable peculiarities only Dwight Howard may be able to nullify should they square off in The Finals.

Pau's rare '70s-like disposition and cache were the difference in strip-mining the Nuggets -- so smooth on his feet ballet-dancing left or right for baby hooks or turnaround springers, so poised peering over the defense before making the proper pass, so pristine from 15 from the line after getting hammered.

The rest: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9630798/Pau-isn't-soft-...-and-it's-time-you-realize-it

This man speaks unquestionably the truth. It's so unbelievable the just because a player is mostly finesse and doesn't beat his chest after every player is automatically soft. Gasol is one of the most fundamentally sound big in the game. He is not as polished as Duncan down low, he is probably the second most skilled post player in the league. And after Garnett probably the most accurate mid range jumpshooting big in the league.

The beauty in Gasols game is how he can play in the high and low post with equal effectiveness. Plus he is unselfish enough. I hate it when people continually say Gasol is soft and disappears in games, while the hard fact really is that for stretches Gasol doesn't get the ball enough. The guy is probably the most efficient player on his team and it's about time he deserved respect.

If he is soft, you might as well call Dirk, Duncan, Yao and all those other finesse bigs soft too.

LakersKB24
06-01-2009, 07:14 AM
The article only covers his offense, which is without a doubt amazing. He is so skilled for a big and people should appreciate him more.

On the defensive end though he just isn't as tough as Garnett for example. And that's a fact.

clehmun
06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
The article only covers his offense, which is without a doubt amazing. He is so skilled for a big and people should appreciate him more.

On the defensive end though he just isn't as tough as Garnett for example. And that's a fact.

i agree, but just because someone ain't as tough as garnett, doesn't mean he should be labelled soft. there's the middle ground. pau gasol is not soft.

lakersrock
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
He's more skilled offensively than Duncan. Gasol's talent in the post on offense is insane. He does suck on D though.

what54!?
06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
good offense player no doubt. No one has ever doubted that. On defense he's ok I guess

JayW_1023
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
He's more skilled offensively than Duncan. Gasol's talent in the post on offense is insane. He does suck on D though.

Arguably maybe...but he isn't more dominant than Duncan. More versatile...yes I agree...because Duncans jumper isn't half as reliable as Gasols.

Duncan is still the best PF in the game when healthy...I don't care what anyone says.

Statik1
06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Arguably maybe...but he isn't more dominant than Duncan. More versatile...yes I agree...because Duncans jumper isn't half as reliable as Gasols.

Duncan is still the best PF in the game when healthy...I don't care what anyone says.

As a Laker fan I have to 2nd this one.

Duncan is still the best PF when healthy.

Chronz
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Ill take a skilled softie who can produce over a tough, banger who cant

superkegger
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Pau is a great offensive player, we know this. He also tends to dissappear at times when the Lakers need him. He also couldn't guard a folding chair.

Chronz
06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Folding Chair > Duncan > KG > Boozer

superkegger
06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Folding Chair > Duncan > KG > Boozer

I just saw your user title. :laugh2:

SeoulBeatz
06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
he is still soft.

he never pounded his chest and yelled as much until this year because he KNEW that people were calling him soft. its all an act, i can see right through it.

pau gasoft.

he better step up his game this finals cus last finals were the most shameful performance ive ever seen by an "allstar" big man.

he got torn up by KG so bad that he couldnt even make his free throws because he was soooo shook.

kobe needed him to step up cus he was being triple teamed all series and pau crumbled. me and my friends all saw it, he is soft at heart, and u cant deny that.

and then in an interview this past summer he acknowledged that he heard the fans heckling him for being soft, and i was one of them.

i just cant take the guy seriously.

Gibby23
06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
he is still soft.

he never pounded his chest and yelled as much until this year because he KNEW that people were calling his soft. its all an act, i can see right through it.

pau gasoft.

he better step up his game this finals cus last finals was the most shameful performance ive ever seen by an "allstar" big man.
he got torn up by KG so bad that he couldnt even make his free throws because he was soooo shook.

and then in an interview this past summer he acknowledged that he heard the fans heckling him for being soft, and i was one of them.

i just cant take the guy seriously.What about the "allstar" big man that was suppose to make the 76ers contenders?

Chronz
06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
he is still soft.

he never pounded his chest and yelled as much until this year because he KNEW that people were calling him soft. its all an act, i can see right through it.

pau gasoft.

he better step up his game this finals cus last finals were the most shameful performance ive ever seen by an "allstar" big man.

kobe needed him to step up cus he was being triple teamed all series and pau crumbled. me and my friends all saw it, he is soft at heart, and u cant deny that.

i just cant take the guy seriously.

That would make sense if it werent for the fact that that softie forced KG into the worst series of his playoff career.

AntiG
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
both of the Lakers' big men are charmin soft

SeoulBeatz
06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
What about the "allstar" big man that was suppose to make the 76ers contenders?

sadly, he dislocated our shoulder, so bye bye sixers hopes and dreams.

but dont get offended about the pau stuff, cus u know its true.

are u telling me if he werent on the lakers you would bet ur life on saying that he was a "hardnosed tough guy" in the NBA? hes a soft player.

there are other soft players out there, like i think Thaddeus Young is a soft player.

But he doesnt put on an act and pound his chest everytime he gets a layup. I laugh at pau everytime he pulls that **** because he wasnt doing all that a year ago. its like when the nerd from ur school tries to come back the next year and dress completely differently and tries to become a new person instantly just to impress people but u can see right through that. u cant deny the past.

please.

kobe needed help, pau didnt show up.

ur OWN lakers fans were booing him, we all saw it man.

and whats frustrating is how lakers fans hopped back on the bandwagon and suddenly he's a tough guy now. please.

it would be different if he came into the league with this type of natural fire and adrenaline that kobe, lebron, kg, dwight have, but its all an act for him.

just keep ur mouth shut and let ur game do the talking, dont try to fool us with all this showing off ****, especially when u were soft ur whole life until this point.

Gibby23
06-01-2009, 05:27 PM

are u telling me if he werent on the lakers you would bet ur life on saying that he was a "hardnosed tough guy" in the NBA? hes a soft player.

there are other soft players out there, like i think Thaddeus Young is a soft player.

But he doesnt put on an act and pound his chest everytime he gets a layup. I laugh at pau everytime he pulls that **** because he wasnt doing all that a year ago. its like when the nerd from ur school tries to come back the next year and dress completely differently and tries to become a new person instantly just to impress people but u can see right through that. u cant deny the past.

please.

and whats frustrating is how lakers fans hopped back on the bandwagon and suddenly he's a tough guy now. please.

it would be different if he came into the league with this type of natural fire and adrenaline, but its all an act for him.

just keep ur mouth shut and let ur game do the talking, dont try to fool us with all this showing off ****, especially when u were soft ur whole life until this point.

Really? They won the West with Pau in LA for only half a year, and they are back in the Finals again. I love the big soft guy that is a major reason my team is in the Finals for the 2nd year in a row and they have a really good chance to win it all.

Gibby23
06-01-2009, 05:28 PM

please.

it would be different if he came into the league with this type of natural fire and adrenaline that kobe, lebron, kg, dwight have, but its all an act for him.

Acually they suked with him playing. Just look at the sixers record with Brand and without.

SeoulBeatz
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Acually they suked with him playing. Just look at the sixers record with Brand and without.

Mo Cheeks was still coaching then too and was fired as soon as the team hit 10-14, 3 days later, Brand goes down. Nice try though :).

we desperately needed Brand in the playoffs this year as we had no one who could score in the lowpost without him.

SeoulBeatz
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Really? They won the West with Pau in LA for only half a year, and they are back in the Finals again. I love the big soft guy that is a major reason my team is in the Finals for the 2nd year in a row and they have a really good chance to win it all.

well at least ur willing to admit it.

yet ur missing the point then, because this whole article is about Pau not being soft, when he blatantly is. At least u recognize it too.

And come finals time, its gonna be a different story.

and dont think of me as a hater, i had 200 bux on the Lakers winning the finals last year against boston and Kobe is my favorite player outside of the sixers, but i watched miserably game after game as Pau got chewed up and spit out by tougher players (Perkins and KG).

it makes a difference come crunchtime, but hey, maybe pau can prove me wrong and pound his chest some more on his way to an NBA chip. good for him, but please stop saying hes not soft people, he is.

showtym24
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
He sure didnt look soft in game 5 and 6 of last series.

MPScribbles
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
He is soft but if I ever get my time machine working I am going to go back and make the Grizz trade him to my Bulls so that he can be our extremely talented soft big man instead of the lakers'.

AllTheWay
06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
This super soft Gasol played damn good defense on KG and Duncan last playoffs...

Wilson
06-01-2009, 11:18 PM
That would make sense if it werent for the fact that that softie forced KG into the worst series of his playoff career.

Garnett missed a lot of open jump shots in that series as well though.

Pau's a frustrating player. He was awesome in games five and six, and that played a huge role in Kobe having two of his best performances all season as well.

However there have been plenty of times where he gets the ball in the post, and he just passes it out, a lot of the time he's not aggresive enough. He struggles getting position sometimes as well, defenders can move him around.

Defensively he's nothing special. He'll get some blocks, but he's too slow on rotations, and will get out muscled.

The Lakers are extremely lucky to have him though. After Bynum got hurt last season we had no inside game to speak of, and the Gasol trade saved our season. As long as him and Lamar keep playing aggresive, giving Kobe the extra room to operate, the Lakers will be OK offensively.

Pau's been working some really nice two man plays with Trevor Ariza recently as well, they did it a few times in game five and it was beautiful to watch. Hopefully we see some more of that.

EDIT: I should give him credit for how consistent he's been for us this season though. He had to deal with adjusting to having Bynum in the line-up, then to Bynum getting hurt and the added pressure, and he hardly missed a beat.

It's just in the bigger games where he seems to lose some of his aggresiveness where he becomes frustrating. Both him and Lamar were much better in games five and six vs. the Nuggets though, hopefully they carry that over to the finals.

LakeShowRaider
06-02-2009, 12:01 AM
You fools are just mad cuz you don't have Gasol. Especially homeboy up there from the 76ers that keeps yapping about who knows what!

Statik1
06-02-2009, 02:06 AM
both of the Lakers' big men are charmin soft

Boston Celtics where being the NBA's sub prime mortgage happens....

Hellcrooner
06-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Hey Seoulbeatz, how bout Lakers offered the soft guy for brand.

Do you make the trade?

Check Mate!!!

quade36
06-02-2009, 08:59 AM
He is the most underrated PF in the league. He is so freakin good its ridiculous. All this talk about him being soft is just silly.

Question, where would the Lakers be without him?

mfb_lt1birdman
06-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I guess it depends what you think soft means. Pau is an extremely skilled big man on the offensive end. And at times, whenever he puts in the effort, he is a capable defender and rebounder.

But he is not a banger by any means. He is not as strong as many PF's or Centers. He is not overly aggressive for his own game either. He is a great team player and knows he is the second option and displays this on the floor by playing within the offfensive system. Many times Kobe has to signal him to take it. But make no mistake he is very passionate about winning and is plenty competitive.