PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams

Rylz
06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Williams might just be the most quietly polarizing player in the NBA. Though he is sometimes regarded as the second-best point guard in the league (he's slightly behind CP3 in most statistics), he has been left off of All-Star and All NBA rosters in favor of other PGs like Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups.
I am curious as to your opinions of Williams (not merely Jazz fans, which is why this is not in the Jazz forum). With the best point guards in the league all having finished their seasons, where does he rank among them? Was his absence on the All NBA teams justified? Or was it a snub? Your thoughts.

AccUrSeD
06-01-2009, 01:29 AM
I think he is a great player, and I am sure he would have made the all-stars if he wasn't injured part of the beginning of the season.

abe_froman
06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
wait how is he polarizing???

Chronz
06-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Hes the 4th best PG in the league, I hope he works on his ball handling, once he does that he'll be the best. Right now thats probably his biggest weakness, notice Im saying BALLHANDLING and not CROSSOVERS for all those waiting to bust out their YT links.

Deron lacks amazing quickness, but he makes up for it with size and a deadly crossover, problem is the fact that he lacks the blow by speed makes him reliant on it and often times you'll see him commit turnovers the best PG's in the league would either not make or never have to attempt just to get into the lane. But at the same time its part of what makes Deron special, the fact that hes willing to do whatever it takes and does make him harder to defend when hes got his A game going, but all those other PG's are more consistent because of their ball handling.

He'll be the best PG in the league soon, just not while CP3/TP are in their primes and until Billups acts his age.

dee279
06-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Hes the 4th best PG in the league, I hope he works on his ball handling, once he does that he'll be the best. Right now thats probably his biggest weakness, notice Im saying BALLHANDLING and not CROSSOVERS for all those waiting to bust out their YT links.

Deron lacks amazing quickness, but he makes up for it with size and a deadly crossover, problem is the fact that he lacks the blow by speed makes him reliant on it and often times you'll see him commit turnovers the best PG's in the league would either not make or never have to attempt just to get into the lane. But at the same time its part of what makes Deron special, the fact that hes willing to do whatever it takes and does make him harder to defend when hes got his A game going, but all those other PG's are more consistent because of their ball handling.

He'll be the best PG in the league soon, just not while CP3/TP are in their primes and until Billups acts his age.

Well said but CP3 is not even in his prime yet so he wont be 1st.

i.got.the.nutz
06-01-2009, 03:55 AM

Deron Williams is better than Tony Parker

Chronz
06-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Deron Williams is better than Tony Parker
Not if your basing your reasoning off of sound logic.

Well said but CP3 is not even in his prime yet so he wont be 1st.
Yea but you dont see too many 6"0 speedsters with sick ups playing their best ball late into their careers. He'll get better for sure, but I can see him playing at around his current level for another 4 years, then its probably over for him as an MVP candidate.

dee279
06-01-2009, 04:19 AM

Yea but you dont see too many 6"0 speedsters with sick ups playing their best ball late into their careers. He'll get better for sure, but I can see him playing at around his current level for another 4 years, then its probably over for him as an MVP candidate.

Allen Iverson played very well until Now . Im sure CP3 can make it. He can go for atleast 8 more years and a high level.

julio
06-01-2009, 04:19 AM
he ain't no john stockton.

Kyle N.
06-01-2009, 04:22 AM
It doesn't help that he's in the smallest of markets. He's a great player put Billups and Parker are right there with him. He'll be an All-Star. You don't have to worry about that.

albertc86
06-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Deron Williams is ill-appreciated, but I put Tony Parker above him. When required, Parker can step up and completely break down teams. That's rare in PG, especially when playing alongside a player like Duncan. You can't go wrong with Williams, Paul, Parker or Billups.

pete_one
06-01-2009, 04:31 AM
D-Will is a baller. A killer crossover better than cp3's and a man who can knock down the j and the 3. Although i say TP has the sweetest J amongst them.

albertc86
06-01-2009, 04:36 AM
D-Will is a baller. A killer crossover better than cp3's and a man who can knock down the j and the 3. Although i say TP has the sweetest J amongst them.

Yes, sir. TP didn't enter the league with a midrange, either.

Cali4rnia
06-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Deron william is the second best point guard, after CP3 there is no but or if. I read someone said he is not quick? are u kidding me? lol deron william is hell of a quick.. yeah he is not quick as tony parker but den again tony parker has no outside shot.. deron william would own him.. just give this guy few more years..

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2009, 07:00 AM
if deron murders cp3 every contest how is paul better? no paul has a JORDAN deal with hype and dwill is in lame utah

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
he ain't no john stockton.

lol hahahahahaha deron is 20times better than him you kidding

pebloemer
06-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Deron Williams is my favorite PG in the league, but I do not feel he was snubbed by being listed behind Parker and Billups. If you really look at what Billups and Parker did for their teams this season, there is no doubt in my mind they are more deserving. I'd expect to see Deron Williams at the allstar game next year and probably ever year following for many years to come. He is younger and to my knowledge healthy (which he wasn't for the full year).

AIverson
06-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Deron is better than Billups, but tony Parker? I don't know. TP can really play ball.

Unruly Fan
06-01-2009, 09:17 AM
I thought DWill's injury kept him out thats why he wasn't able to compete/defend in the Skills Challenge let alone play in the All-Star game.

IMO he is the most fundamentally sound PG in the league mentored (briefly) by none other than John Stockton himself. CP3 is better by a hair but DWill is one of the best in the game right now. TP is sick, but I in terms of TRUE PGs I think even Nash is better than him. Any PG that avgs less assists than LBJ (7.2) might as well be a 2 guard.

f19ure
06-01-2009, 02:56 PM

What reasoning is this (on Parker being better than Williams)? :rolleyes:

Hes the 4th best PG in the league, I hope he works on his ball handling, once he does that he'll be the best...

He's the second best 1-guard without a doubt. I'll agree that his ball-handling needs some tweaking, it's one of the reasons he's so turnover prone (another is his bad decision making on certain plays). But Williams is one of the purest point guards in the league, he averages less touches than Paul and even less than Parker, and still managed 19.5 points on the season. And if it weren't enough, the Jazz are a team heavily reliant on good ball movement (one of the reasons they lead the league in assists), so many times so that Williams wasn't necessarily credited with assists that were made on certain plays, even though he got the ball rotation going. Also, Parker lacks one of the most important things necessary to make him a great point guard. Defense. You have to be good on both ends of the court, and Parker couldn't defend a chair. Williams on the other hand is the best defensive 1-guard outside of Billups (Fisher is getting real old). Now he's no John Stockton or Gary Payton (defensively), he still needs work. But he's already better than Paul and definitely Parker. :D

Deron lacks amazing quickness, but he makes up for it with size and a deadly crossover, problem is the fact that he lacks the blow by speed...

Are you talking about blow by speed or his overall quickness. 'Cuz Williams is fast, he's actually underrated in terms of his quickness, there's all this insinuation that because he's so heavy for a 1-guard (208 lbs), he can't be quick, but Williams has proven otherwise. Need I remind everyone of Williams' record of 25.5 secs for the Playstation Skills Challenge.

Williams is the second best (so far), no ifs, buts or ands!

Chronz
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Deron william is the second best point guard, after CP3 there is no but or if. I read someone said he is not quick? are u kidding me? lol deron william is hell of a quick.. yeah he is not quick as tony parker but den again tony parker has no outside shot.. deron william would own him.. just give this guy few more years..
Your not helping the Deron homers with this kind of talk, and no Deron is not quick, hes fast with the ball, there is a difference. And Im willing to wager atleast half of the leagues starting PG's are quicker than him. Thats the point of him ..... Im not gonna repeat it again.

What reasoning is this (on Parker being better than Williams)? :rolleyes:
Things like level of play, efficiency, recognition from his peers, accolades. ETC

He's the second best 1-guard without a doubt. I'll agree that his ball-handling needs some tweaking, it's one of the reasons he's so turnover prone (another is his bad decision making on certain plays). But Williams is one of the purest point guards in the league, he averages less touches than Paul and even less than Parker, and still managed 19.5 points on the season.
You make it sound like thats more impressive than what TP and Billups are doing. And the system he plays in is more conducive to bloating per game averages.

And if it weren't enough, the Jazz are a team heavily reliant on good ball movement (one of the reasons they lead the league in assists), so many times so that Williams wasn't necessarily credited with assists that were made on certain plays, even though he got the ball rotation going.
LOL Try playing in a post heavy system. TP undergoes the same treatment and what your saying couldnt be more in his favor. The ball movement is what allows him to sit back and let the play develop. He gets a good portion of his assist from simply waiting for the cutter to get open. Making passes that any elite PG could make. Theres a pretty big following that theorizes that Sloan's system tends to bloat PG's assist #'s. Statistically I dont know how people could prove this with there being only maybe 3 PG's (Deron, Stockton, and Arroyo) that you could examine but thats not much. And even if it were true, I give Deron props for being able to play in a system where hes stationary for so long and then having to break the defense down if the play doesnt develop.

But Billups could do that, and more.

Also, Parker lacks one of the most important things necessary to make him a great point guard. Defense. You have to be good on both ends of the court, and Parker couldn't defend a chair. Williams on the other hand is the best defensive 1-guard outside of Billups (Fisher is getting real old).
Are you being serious? First of all, if there is 1 position where defense is not crucial its the PG position, secondly since when has Fisher been a great defender? All I ever hear from Laker fans is how bad his defense is, I think hes pretty average but TP is better at stickin to the ball. Hes quicker in his rotations and Williams is definitely not as good on the ball. Hes better in the post, but there arent many postup PG's in the league. I guess there is something to be said for the ability to guard bigger players if need be. But its not like Derons an All-Defensive caliber player. And when you think of it this way, the best defensive guard for most of the 2000's has been Earl Watson, it just gos to show how insignificant defensive PG's are in this league, atleast in comparison to the best defenders at other positions.

Now he's no John Stockton or Gary Payton (defensively), he still needs work. But he's already better than Paul and definitely Parker. :D

CP3 isnt a good defender, and TP well it could be true, but TP has been on so many great defensive teams its hard to say hes a liability when hes never been exposed.

Are you talking about blow by speed or his overall quickness. 'Cuz Williams is fast, he's actually underrated in terms of his quickness, there's all this insinuation that because he's so heavy for a 1-guard (208 lbs), he can't be quick, but Williams has proven otherwise. Need I remind everyone of Williams' record of 25.5 secs for the Playstation Skills Challenge.

Blow by speed aka quicks and lateral change of pace, not speed in the open court. But there is no better one man fast break from the PG position than TP. Like I said earlier, hes probably in the slowest percentile of PG's.

Williams is the second best (so far), no ifs, buts or ands!
Its close Ill give you that much, but hes been the least impressive of his peers ALL things considered.

Kakaroach
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
He will be an all-star and he is the second best PG in the league, even though some do not think he is. Part of it is that he is in a small market. This season who knows how many assists he would have had if he had a healthy Carlos Boozer for a full season and he wasn't injured and battling through that for the first half of the season.
I agree he does make a lot of turnovers, mostly cuz he is trying to make a play for someone else, and he still has a lot to learn.