PDA

View Full Version : Orlando's Nelson may play in Finals

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsmagic-nelson-01060109jun01,0,6962934.story

Thoughts?

carter15
06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
i hope he can get out there and play

dodie53
06-01-2009, 12:55 AM
he might screw up the team's chemistry

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 01:16 AM

The only thing I worry about is how does it effect Skip 2 My Lou? He is playing so well you don't want to do anything to slow his progress.

carter15
06-01-2009, 01:21 AM
the thing is tho that nelson > alston...so who cares

Trouble87
06-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Lightning quick way to mess up the current chemistry and end up hurting himself again. If he does end up playing I hope they bring him off the bench in limited minutes.

iluvsports2much
06-01-2009, 01:34 AM
bringing back an injured jameer nelson,even as good as he is,mite actually hurt the magics chances...rafer alston is playin lights out and bringin back jameer mite effect his confidence...

superkegger
06-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I doubt he plays.

Magic president Bob Vander Weide told The Orlando Sentinel after Saturday’s win against Cleveland that he wanted Nelson to take another MRI and consult with doctors for a possible comeback.

Nelson has been working out and has said he has full range of motion. But Magic general manager Otis Smith has repeatedly said there is no way Nelson could return this season.

The first quote, from the team president, sounds more like a guy who desperately wants him to play, and is going to push for him to, if he can, even if it's not the best idea.

Otis Smith, who is the more reliable source in this IMO, says he won't.

So I doubt he does.

But if he does, some things to consider:

He's missed like what, 3 and half months? He won't be in game shape, or all that close.

Since it's been his shoulder that kept him out, his shooting touch would for sure be off.

Barring those two things, he's coming off an injury, and it's never easy to just come back from an injury, even in the regular season, and just have your normal rhythm. Even harder to do on the biggest stage, in the NBA Finals.

So if he came back, he'd most likely have trouble with his shot, his rhythm with the team, and he wouldn't be in game shape, so what kind of impact can he really have?

I don't see him coming back, nor do I see him having the positive impact the Magic would like if he does.

Duncan = Donkey
06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
i dont think theres any chance, to many risks involved.

robdizzle3
06-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Its sad that they are willing to risk the future of Jameer Nelson,who he himself said that he is aiming for Preseason and he might not even make that.The Magic will be really pissed if something happened to Jameer because they wanted to rush him back

Kyle N.
06-01-2009, 03:34 AM
the thing is tho that nelson > alston...so who cares

Ha ha, that's how I see it. But also I guess you can't rush an injury coming back. But still, the Magic could really use him even if he's not at 100%.

ponderingpluto
06-01-2009, 03:58 AM
He will come off the bench and play 15-20 minutes at most. So it wont affect Skip what so ever. It will affect Anthony Johnson cause he wont be playing anymore. This is the finals you need to risk everything! This is what they play for. Jameer may never get this chance again and he is taking full advantage of it. If he aggravates he can still come back by the 2nd half next year at the latest. The reward is worth the risk in this one.

GoatMilk
06-01-2009, 04:37 AM
if he was a vet like Grant Hill, then I could see him playing

he's still young and part of orlando's future. i can't see their owner and gm letting him go out there.

Orlando made it without him, dont mess things up imo

but he's good, then sure

albertc86
06-01-2009, 04:37 AM
Nelson, like Mo Williams, is overrated. He would just be a liability out on the court.

Duncan = Donkey
06-01-2009, 04:39 AM
nelson isnt over rated, he was playing awesome this year. he is better than mo williams by far

albertc86
06-01-2009, 04:41 AM
nelson isnt over rated, he was playing awesome this year. he is better than mo williams by far

Weak conference. Neither one of them would even be considered in the west as all-stars. He's overrated.

Duncan = Donkey
06-01-2009, 04:52 AM
yer ur right, neither would be an all star in the west, but i still think jameer nelson is a very good player and i dont think he's over rated. No one says he is a top 5 pg or anything so i dont see how he is over rated.

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree with kegz, I don't think it will/should happen afterall.

Gibby23
06-01-2009, 05:00 PM
If he plays he will take Anthony Johnsons mins off the bench, and he would be an upgrade over Anthony Johnson.

Mile High Champ
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Should be interesting to see if he comes back or not..

SaimoNETS
06-01-2009, 06:18 PM
i hope he gets to play.

im really rooting for the Magic to win it all.

Missing56&33
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM

x2....I would only use him if absolutely necessary , like foul trouble or injury.

x_notorious
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Nelson was vital to both victories vs. LA in the regular season. Even if he does back, I doubt he makes that much of an impact coming off a shoulder injury.

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsmagic-nelson-01060109jun01,0,6962934.story

Thoughts?

They will probably need him to beat LA.

Hoopsadvocate
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Said it back in the earlyer part of the Cleveland series. He wants to play now he has some upper management on his side.

NBA_Starter
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
They will probably need him to beat LA.

If LA continues to play defense like they have been then it may not matter either way.

_KB24_
06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
I hope he doesn't because he has a whole career ahead of him and aggravating his injury may cause him to lose even more time. It doesn't really matter, Alston is playing lights out and their PGs Anthony and Alston are much better than Fish and Farmar.

dos132
06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
may be he will be on the active list. but the question is can he really play 100%... and can he play better like before his injury...

AIverson
06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Just have him suit up.

Should fire up that team.

Nelson is way better than Mo Williams. He out played Mo all year.

bahama0811
06-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I might let him play but I think they should bring him off the bench. He's not gonna be up to game speed yet and he's gonna tire too easily. It would be a definite boost though.

J$mo0th_3o5
06-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I might let him play but I think they should bring him off the bench. He's not gonna be up to game speed yet and he's gonna tire too easily. It would be a definite boost though.

Exactly what I would do.

juggla53
06-01-2009, 10:10 PM
If he does play he deffiantley wont be starting and will probabley play around 12 min a game he hasnt played since february so he deffinatley will be playing limited minutes

pippsux
06-02-2009, 11:02 AM
They should play him only if theyare in an elimination type game. Team has played very well w/o him.

king4day
06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
The only thing I worry about is how does it effect Skip 2 My Lou? He is playing so well you don't want to do anything to slow his progress.

Nelson likely would come off the bench. Alston is the reason they are here (Lue wasn't gonna get them to the finals).
If after a couple of games Nelson is showing he's still got it, then you start him.

king4day
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
If LA continues to play defense like they have been then it may not matter either way.

LA's defense can't stop both Nelson's speed and Howards size. They may do well but their D won't be as successful as it was against the Nuggets.

superkegger
06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Well it looks as if he will play. Guess I was wrong about him playing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-jameernelson&prov=ap&type=lgns

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—Orlando Magic players say Jameer Nelson(notes) will play in the NBA finals, even though the All-Star point guard and his coach remain publicly pessimistic.

Nelson participated in a full team practice Tuesday for the first time since tearing the labrum in his right shoulder Feb. 2. While Nelson and coach Stan Van Gundy still said it won’t be determined until game day, players said Nelson looked “terrific” and expect the point guard to be on the court against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Backup point guard Anthony Johnson(notes) said, “I expect to see him out there at some point in the series.”

Nelson had what was then called season-ending surgery Feb. 19. Nelson’s rehabilitation was supposed to take at least another two months. Game 1 of the finals is Thursday night in Los Angeles.

Wonder just what he can do, 4 months is a long time to miss, and then to jump right back in for the NBA Finals, is no easy task. Not sure it's the right move, but we'll see.

king4day
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
ESPN has the same article too:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4224810

I hope he comes off the bench though. Not fair for Alston to just let Nelson back in.

superkegger
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh I doubt he starts. That would be just dumb. No matter how well he practices, a game is so much different. And then when you add that its the NBA finals, it's just that much harder to go in and start after a 4 month layoff.

DrDEADalready
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM

That's what I was thinking. But Hey he was the leading scorer when the Magic beat the lakers both times during the regular season. so as long as Magic come out with the ring. I'm all for what ever they have to do. :D

NBA_Starter
06-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Well it looks as if he will play. Guess I was wrong about him playing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbafinals-jameernelson&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wonder just what he can do, 4 months is a long time to miss, and then to jump right back in for the NBA Finals, is no easy task. Not sure it's the right move, but we'll see.

I understand the argument that what if he never gets a chance to play in the Finals again but also you have to think abouit what if he has a career ending injury because of this or something crazy. At first I thought it was a cool idea but now the more I think about it the more I don't like it!

superkegger
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I understand the argument that what if he never gets a chance to play in the Finals again but also you have to think abouit what if he has a career ending injury because of this or something crazy. At first I thought it was a cool idea but now the more I think about it the more I don't like it!

Yeah. I guess from Jameer's standpoint I get it. I mean, how many times will you get to play in the NBA finals? It may be several more, it may be no more. So you want to play if you can.

But I guess from the teams standpoint, I just don't know if can be the effective Jameer he was earlier. As a Laker fan, we saw how unready Bynum was. Granted a knee injury is different, but trying to come back in the playoffs is so damn hard. Let alone the NBA finals.

I mean, I guess there isn't a ton of harm in seeing if he can give it a go. But Rafer has been playing well, and AJ has been very good in his backup role.

I dunno, if he goes in there and stinks it up, if could lead to a Lakers run, and then could maybe be a hit to the psyche of the Magic because they won't have him, when they thought he'd be back.

It's just a tough situation, because he could come in and be good. I dunno, I'm just very interested to see how it plays out.

kingkobe
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Maybe its a smoke screen by Orlando to screw with LA coaches because now they'll have to worry about taking care of Nelson too. So moving the focus away from Alston who's been doing great in the playoffs.

JayW_1023
06-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Nelson is way over his head...I wouldn't want to risk team chemistry when the stakes are the highest. He should leave the pick and rolling to his shark friend Hedo Turkoglu:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00021N798.01-A2X3FMBNSRPS6U.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Behind every fish is a great white lie...I'm talking to you Jameer.

snickers
06-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Maybe its a smoke screen by Orlando to screw with LA coaches because now they'll have to worry about taking care of Nelson too. So moving the focus away from Alston who's been doing great in the playoffs.

phil already said that he won't change the defense assignment
if nelson come's back.

RapOZo
06-03-2009, 09:14 AM

I agree, IMO they should let him come from the bench

Kakaroach
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Yea, he will come off of the bench. He could totally change the series though, he has just torched the Lakers during the regular season.

Jason Bourne
06-03-2009, 06:34 PM
If he doesn't get activated tomorrow, definitely by Game 3 when they fly home.

Lakers4ItAll
06-03-2009, 06:48 PM
My thoughts exactly