PDA

View Full Version : Flopping!

king2218
05-31-2009, 02:20 PM
How can the NBA fix this flopping issue it has?? Something has to be done this off-season about this! It has gotten out of control. And also the NBA has to take a look at the cleveland-orlando series and watch how lebron plays. The way he drives to the basket with his shoulder down should be an offensive foul...the NBA has to fix this!

BTownTeamsRKing
05-31-2009, 02:29 PM
i want there to be a 1 shot technical foul for flopping. AND that player gets placed on a list for everyone to see (especially refs). That way that player will lose all respect and probably out of a job. cough verajoa cough

rapjuicer06
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
^^^^^^^^yes!!!!! i love the technical foul idea, it is getting completely outta control and thats an easy way for a player to blow out a knee when the DA guarding him flops and tangles up his legs

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
how you determine "flopping"....

I mean Pau gasol is Bound to kiss the flour 2 or 3 times a game in the finals you now?

He is thin and Dwight is an Oaf.

add the aceleration of such an oaf running into a thin man.

Blah Blah Blah
05-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Hopefully the flopping issue gets fixed. But also in the Lebron case of lowering his shoulder, nothing will be done about that cuz of his status in the game.

ManRam
05-31-2009, 03:20 PM

I mean Pau gasol is Bound to kiss the flour 2 or 3 times a game in the finals you now?

Yeah. Flopping is such a judgment call. People ***** about the refs enough...and forcing them to distinguish a flop from a non-flop would just lead to more *****ing by fans. Flops aren't black and white. They are judgment calls.

It's not worth it. Flopping is such a minor problem in the NBA. Forcing refs to call and distinguish flops from non flops would cause more problems than it would solve.

ManRam
05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Hopefully the flopping issue gets fixed. But also in the Lebron case of lowering his shoulder, nothing will be done about that cuz of his status in the game.

And because this is basketball, not ballet. Watch some old school basketball. It was such a fun, physical game to watch. What LeBron does, lowering his shoulder occasionally, has always been a part of basketball...and an acceptable part. I hate how the NBA is turning into such a sissy sport. Let them play.

J-Relo
05-31-2009, 03:37 PM
And because this is basketball, not ballet. Watch some old school basketball. It was such a fun, physical game to watch. What LeBron does, lowering his shoulder occasionally, has always been a part of basketball...and an acceptable part. I hate how the NBA is turning into such a sissy sport. Let them play.

after 10 years ----

you touch, just touch other player and that's a foul, you can't contest a shot or it's a technical... few trampolines to get better dunks, no defense - the best defence is to wait till other team miss and make your shot...

lakers4sho
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
i want there to be a 1 shot technical foul for flopping. AND that player gets placed on a list for everyone to see (especially refs). That way that player will lose all respect and probably out of a job. cough verajoa cough

There is no set definition on "flopping", so it will create trouble when the refs call a "flop" on a player, and the player might or might not be flopping.

Vinny642
05-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Yea^

Eagles_Guy
05-31-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukde193ivM

It's stuff like that though, the obvious ones. Varajeo some of his crap his just :pity:

I like the idea of the "Challenge" like the NFL uses being instituted in the NBA.

Or this one, Manu gets some of his own medicine lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNN9ZiH38fs&feature=related

superdude79
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
The problem with flopping started with the international players from San Antonio, Manu is the worst player in the league for this. The flopping situation has similar comparisons to the trap system used by the New Jersey Devils to win a couple of cups. Poor styles and systems of plays were rewarded with championships (Spurs and Devils), then you had the rest of the league trying to copy what the champs did until it ruined the sport (hockey), and is threatening to ruin the NBA. I bet any player that played in the 1990's and before pukes when they see how the game is played today, all these damn floppers. As bad as it sounds every player from Europe was automatically given the label of being a pu_ss_ie, no matter how good they were at scoring in the NHL. All international players should be called flopping pu**ies by the fans and media and have their toughness questioned. It works, now in the NHL there are actually tough european players, they hated the labels and being treated like a joke by the fans/media. The fans of the NBA need to do the same with flopping, make it look weak and players will stop doing it.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 06:51 PM
flopping should be treated like a technical. And as for LeBron putting his shoulder down, the league is soooooo pansy nowadays. Go watch real basketball from 20 years ago. If you are stronger, you push you're way thru. Tough **** to those around you. Go play baseball if you don't want contact

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
The problem with flopping started with the international players from San Antonio, Manu is the worst player in the league for this. The flopping situation has similar comparisons to the trap system used by the New Jersey Devils to win a couple of cups. Poor styles and systems of plays were rewarded with championships (Spurs and Devils), then you had the rest of the league trying to copy what the champs did until it ruined the sport (hockey), and is threatening to ruin the NBA. I bet any player that played in the 1990's and before pukes when they see how the game is played today, all these damn floppers. As bad as it sounds every player from Europe was automatically given the label of being a pu_ss_ie, no matter how good they were at scoring in the NHL. All international players should be called flopping pu**ies by the fans and media and have their toughness questioned. It works, now in the NHL there are actually tough european players, they hated the labels and being treated like a joke by the fans/media. The fans of the NBA need to do the same with flopping, make it look weak and players will stop doing it.

dude, go to youtube, and pull up Bill Laimbeer. It started way before Manu. Foreigners perfected it, for sure. Vlade Divac would act like he just got kicked in the stomach by Bruce Lee if Gary Payton brushed him on the way by, then he would be on the sidelines looking like he was going to die and needed a cigarette

superdude79
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
flopping should be treated like a technical. And as for LeBron putting his shoulder down, the league is soooooo pansy nowadays. Go watch real basketball from 20 years ago. If you are stronger, you push you're way thru. Tough **** to those around you. Go play baseball if you don't want contact

Exactly, I always used to hate how people would say,"when I was young..." but seriously, remember the bad blood between the Pistons, Bulls, 76ers, and although the Lakers where known as Showtime, they were tough and could play D without flopping, the Celtics teams of the 80's were tough as well. Back in those days teams had to go to war with each other to play in the finals, now, if you are a big enough market "amazing happens" and you end up in the finals thanks to help from the refs aka Stern's posse, too bad it didn't work out in the East though, I am sure the Magic will pay daerly in the finals for their transgression against Stern. I stopped being a frequent viewer of the NBA when the Kings Lost to the Lakers and Kobe was not called for the foul on bibby, I knew it was rigged and guess what happened 6 years later - it was confirmed. The NBA is on the way down, Stern needs to go, put in a player like Malone, or Dr. J, people who have respect for the way the game is supposed to be played.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
haha, yeah I love it how fans today, they get miffed at this and that. Um, cities hated each other back then, the game was so physical, and was just a war. But, thanks the the Pacers-Pistons mele, and all the young kids getting tatted up and in trouble all the time that are in the league, the NBA had no choice but to try and clean the image up. Total fail imo

superdude79
05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
The reaction to the league was an overreaction. Although basketball is not supposed to be physical, it was, and it was great. The NBA changed the rules to take the physical play out of the game and look what happened to it. Also, as with the NFL, star players (and even some average players) act like celebrities and have a sense of entitlement. Both leagues are promoting their sports as a form of entertainment to rival televsion and other media in order to get "the casual veiwer" to watch the games that are hyped because player x has a reality show on MTV etc and other forms of cross promotions (movies, cd's). Sports is its own form of entertainment, the thrill of watching a close playoff game that goes into tripple overtime, crazy last second shots, players willing their teams to victory is all the entertainment that should be required. Look at Monday Night Football, they have a damn celebrity interview DURING THE GAME every damn week. If I want to see Tom Cruise or Jaime Foxx I will watch one of their movies. Atheletes are not celebrities and vice versa, there used to be a time where simply being a pro-athlete was enough, but not now. Now players want to be adored by all people, not just those from their sport or their team's fans, and they are searching for new ways to get endorsment deals. Jordan made a ton in endorsements without ever having to release a rap album (I forgive him for space jam) or do any other cross promotion garbage. He was great and we all flocked to him because of his greatness and he never gave an interview in third person either.

QUICKTRADE
05-31-2009, 07:26 PM
its a hell of an acting job folks! only a few people have that talent

montazingmvp
05-31-2009, 07:32 PM
The reaction to the league was an overreaction. Although basketball is not supposed to be physical, it was, and it was great. The NBA changed the rules to take the physical play out of the game and look what happened to it. Also, as with the NFL, star players (and even some average players) act like celebrities and have a sense of entitlement. Both leagues are promoting their sports as a form of entertainment to rival televsion and other media in order to get "the casual veiwer" to watch the games that are hyped because player x has a reality show on MTV etc and other forms of cross promotions (movies, cd's). Sports is its own form of entertainment, the thrill of watching a close playoff game that goes into tripple overtime, crazy last second shots, players willing their teams to victory is all the entertainment that should be required. Look at Monday Night Football, they have a damn celebrity interview DURING THE GAME every damn week. If I want to see Tom Cruise or Jaime Foxx I will watch one of their movies. Atheletes are not celebrities and vice versa, there used to be a time where simply being a pro-athlete was enough, but not now. Now players want to be adored by all people, not just those from their sport or their team's fans, and they are searching for new ways to get endorsment deals. Jordan made a ton in endorsements without ever having to release a rap album (I forgive him for space jam) or do any other cross promotion garbage. He was great and we all flocked to him because of his greatness and he never gave an interview in third person either.

football players disgust me...the amount of primadonna's in that league is ridiculous...

but flopping is going to be impossible to get rid of.

look at what happens in soccer. they've been trying to get rid of diving for years in soccer. they even added stiff penalties for diving (much harsher than anything against flopping in the nba)...

no soccer fan likes when people dive, thats why everyone whistles when someone does it...but even when they give yellow cards out players still do it. and even if they give a technical in basketball, players will continue to do it.

Eagles_Guy
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM

The MNF celebrity interviews are a little unneeded I agree, SNF is better anyway, I think it's the ESPN factor.

But the NBA does it as well, like last week it was really starting to grind my gears when they kept showing ****in Tom Cruise over and over again; like not just in between quarters or something, but after like a big shot, they'd cut to Tom ****in Cruise. I felt like smashing my set.

Jack is OK to cut to here and there because he's been there forever, he may as well be on the Laker bench, but I really couldn't care less about Hanna Montana's reaction to Gasol's post up.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 07:54 PM
The MNF celebrity interviews are a little unneeded I agree, SNF is better anyway, I think it's the ESPN factor.

But the NBA does it as well, like last week it was really starting to grind my gears when they kept showing ****in Tom Cruise over and over again; like not just in between quarters or something, but after like a big shot, they'd cut to Tom ****in Cruise. I felt like smashing my set.

Jack is OK to cut to here and there because he's been there forever, he may as well be on the Laker bench, but I really couldn't care less about Hanna Montana's reaction to Gasol's post up.

this post made me lmao, hahaha

29$JerZ
05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Want to stop flopping? How can you?

Same way an offensive foul is called instead of a blocking foul, depends soley on the ref.
Up to them to see how a grown man falls to the floor.

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 08:27 PM
this thread and many of the responses are a perfect explanation about why i always say that Euros are Margined by fans.

lakers4sho
05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
this thread and many of the responses are a perfect explanation about why i always say that Euros are Margined by fans.

well, they do flop :cool:

Not saying all of them do, but most of the prominent or well known floppers are international players. That's just a fact.

montazingmvp
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
well, they do flop :cool:

Not saying all of them do, but most of the prominent or well known floppers are international players. That's just a fact.

biggest floppers in the nba are steve nash (not really int'l), corey maggette (ask the blazers), chris paul, manu ginobli, baron davis, anderson varejao, devin harris, wade (offensive flopping), derek fisher, bruce bowen...

that int'l player thing is just a stereotype...and everyone flops in the nba, some are just better at it...

int'l players flop no more than american players...fact

Hellcrooner
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
^I can rememeber a certain Bill Lambieer who was no euro flopping like hell.

IBleedPurple
06-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Ginobli has a family to feed. Eliminating flopping is putting his career in danger.

DrDEADalready
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Kick all the international players off the NBA should help fix the Flopping

macc
06-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Just get instant reply, that will solve alot of issues right there. I don't like flopping, I would rather see people man up and play defense but it's somthing I don't think could be regulated.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-02-2009, 05:26 PM
refs are wising up to the flopping. a couple times i saw verajoa fall down and they ate the whistle.

u know whats the most annoying thing about flopping? The refs job is hard enough without players trying to fool them. They just contribute to the problem.

To the people who say what makes a flop and how can we have a tech foul for it?
My answer, how the heck can hockey have a penalty for diving and the NBA cant do anything about flopping? We all know hockey is played at a rediculously fast pace as well.

step your game up NBA and MAN UP. punish floppers.

A second option is to have the league reveiw game tapes the way they do for flagrants and then make a 3 flops and a suspension rule. something very harsh to absolutely get rid of a COMPLETELY UNNECESARY part of the game today.

Missing56&33
06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
reggie flop :mad:

Toadman
06-02-2009, 06:27 PM
How do you define flopping? Do you remember Shaq in his prime backing down players with his "boom boom" move? Now if a 200 Lbs guys bumps you to get position it's o.k. but if a 350 Lbs guy does the same thing, your *** is on the ground. In fact flopping was the only defense you had, cuz there ain't now way you're gonna hold your ground against someone that big.

MAC10TIZZY
06-02-2009, 06:31 PM

wow, i absolutely love this idea, good call b'

MAC10TIZZY
06-02-2009, 06:32 PM

im so confused gasol will flop in flour now?

stensley
06-02-2009, 06:32 PM
How can the NBA fix this flopping issue it has?? Something has to be done this off-season about this! It has gotten out of control. And also the NBA has to take a look at the cleveland-orlando series and watch how lebron plays. The way he drives to the basket with his shoulder down should be an offensive foul...the NBA has to fix this!

Easy, eliminate the charge foul altogether, if you remove that foul from the game you don't have worry about players flopping, you don't have to worry about the referee's interpretation of the rule and you don't have risk of players getting injured because a defender tries to get an easy foul.

MAC10TIZZY
06-02-2009, 06:35 PM

ok but its only fun if it is called both ways!!!!!!! do you think we really dont want to be more physical? jameer probably has the biggest arms as a point guard dude would bull doze errrrrbody, and who the f' would stop dwight comin' at you like run away train? (p.s. the answer to both of these is nobody)

MAC10TIZZY
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
dude, go to youtube, and pull up Bill Laimbeer. It started way before Manu. Foreigners perfected it, for sure. Vlade Divac would act like he just got kicked in the stomach by Bruce Lee if Gary Payton brushed him on the way by, then he would be on the sidelines looking like he was going to die and needed a cigarette

lol...."needed a cigarette"...reppin the iowa tooo, you must be cool main

ManRam
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM
ok but its only fun if it is called both ways!!!!!!! do you think we really dont want to be more physical? jameer probably has the biggest arms as a point guard dude would bull doze errrrrbody, and who the f' would stop dwight comin' at you like run away train? (p.s. the answer to both of these is nobody)

I agree. Ideally, the game would be called a lot less looser (and it would definitely benefit the Magic). And obviously called equally loose for both teams. The problem is, fans are so ****ing whiny as is already, the amount of complaining if the game was allowed to be more physical would be ridiculous. I couldn't imagine.

The NBA almost has to call tight games to quiet conspiracy theorists (aka crazy people) and whiny fans.

Let them play!!!

SDDodger
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
In regards to Lebron lowering his shoulder and runnin over people I don't really want to see it called as an offensive foul but it also should not be called as a block. Let them play but don't reward the offensive player for initiating all the contact.

dee279
06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I really dont think flopping is that hard to distinguish. I feel its able to tell if someone is out of control or not. If the offensive player is not out of control, and the defensive player falls, that obviously a flop. But i wouldnt give a tech though becuz that could change the game if it actually was not a flop. But i really do agree on the lebron idea. A lot of his fouls they call for him, the contact is made by him.

dee279
06-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Easy, eliminate the charge foul altogether, if you remove that foul from the game you don't have worry about players flopping, you don't have to worry about the referee's interpretation of the rule and you don't have risk of players getting injured because a defender tries to get an easy foul.

so u want to allow players just to run over anybody they want. is this Stern trying to make it easier for Lebron to score? Stensley, Stern. Looks a lot alike.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
wow, i absolutely love this idea, good call b'

thanks Mac10.

i think its inexcusable for the NBA to fail to fix this issue or prevent it a little.

ElGuapoIsKing
06-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Flopping is for ***** *****es...they need to completley eliminate it from the NBA it doesnt belong here.

dtmagnet
06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
You would think they would do something about it when its blatantly obvious, I am against instant replay because it would make the game too long but there should be some kind of punishment for it.

MAC10TIZZY
06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
thanks Mac10.

i think its inexcusable for the NBA to fail to fix this issue or prevent it a little.

dude you have no idea how hard it was for me to watch our previous series against lebron...and im a huge basketball fan, but i would of contemplated not watching the finals if cleveland made it

stensley
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
so u want to allow players just to run over anybody they want. is this Stern trying to make it easier for Lebron to score? Stensley, Stern. Looks a lot alike.

no, but sometimes its an offensive, sometimes its on the defense and other times its just ignored as if there wasn't any contact at all. make the defender play defense or get posterized, but to allow a defender to get under a offensive players, in most cases after he's already in the air, is just dangerous. Look at the injury Lamar Odom got from the charge Shane Battier in the Houston series :eyebrow:

Hustla23
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
It's very hard to determine whether some plays are clear fouls or clear flops.

But there are also plays that are ABSOLUTELY BLATANT flops. No question or doubt about them.

Those are the ones that should be punished severely.

A one game suspension would be wipe out flopping like a whale eating fish.

SJSHARKIES
06-02-2009, 09:56 PM
There is no way to stop "floping," how can you determine whether or not a player is flopping it's very difficult. There are no set of rules to determine whether or not a player was flopping or not, it will only create more problems. As far as Lebron lowering his shoulder nothing is going to happen, you can't single out a single player and him lowering his shoulder makes no sense to me.

dos132
06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
yeah i like technical fouls too.... like when a game is about on 4th quarter and 1 mins left and a tie game.... and i like to see flagrant fouls too... like what shaq do to rodney stuckey in Phoenix

Kianwe
06-03-2009, 01:24 AM

EXACTLY!! I have no problem with a little bit of tough, old-school ball, but if LeBron gets away with it, then everyone else should too.

JJ81
06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Make a new personal foul just for flopping.

Unruly Fan
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Flopping is part of the game. The refs are in no power to decide what a real or fake hit is (if the acting is good enough). The only thing the can do is review the tape. Honestly, although they are VERY annoying, players like Varejao are skilled actors who use this to thier advantage. There is nothing anyone can do about it really.

Jason Bourne
06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Fine players like Varejao, or Scola, among others for every flop they commit.

TopsyTurvy
06-04-2009, 02:25 AM
A technical foul mid-game would work in extreme cases, but otherwise I think the NBA should just review game tape and tech/fine players as needed. I would rather let officials deal with the call after the game than refs slowing down play further by having yet another foul to watch for.

Diving is severely penalized in soccer but it still happens. Anytime you've got players sacrificing their bodies for a play there will be actors out there from time to time.

stawka
06-04-2009, 02:31 AM

I don't understand. Are you complaining about people flopping or people driving hard? Make up your mind.

By the way, you're team is the Magic. He is the reincarnate of Shaq (closest thing to him). If we're talking offensive fouls, you need to realize Dwight/Shaq make a living of hurting people down there -- a lot of the time offensive fouls aren't called

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Seriously, look at Shaq. For the majority of his career he should have been fouling out on offensive fouls by mid second quarter. The stars will not have their style of play taken away from them or else the league would suffer.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 01:15 PM

TERRIBLE IDEA! They have a league for guys like that. It's the NFL. Fullbacks belong in football.

MPScribbles
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
A technical foul mid-game would work in extreme cases, but otherwise I think the NBA should just review game tape and tech/fine players as needed. I would rather let officials deal with the call after the game than refs slowing down play further by having yet another foul to watch for.

Finally! I was just about to skip ahead and post this but then finally, on page 4 someone gets to what I wanted to say. You don't have to address it in-game. That puts even more pressure on these terrible refs. The NBA could have a new department in the league office that only watches questionable foul calls. If any player is found to have taken an obvious dive in order to fool the refs they get a flop point and hefty fine. Just like technicals, enough flops and you sit out a game. This crap would stop overnight.

I'm almost to 100! I love my sig and can't wait to be able to use it.