PDA

View Full Version : Nelson could return?

kozelkid
05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Magic president Bob Vander Weide admitted that the team is trying to decide whether Nelson can return after undergoing shoulder surgery in mid-February.

Nelson wouldn't be in prime condition, but "the chance to get an All-Star point guard on the floor for 15 minutes a game ... you'd have to look at that," Vander Weide said.

As recently as a week and a half ago, the Magic said that Nelson was still out for the entire postseason.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsmagic-cavaliers-notes-31053109may31,0,4909212.story

ManRam
05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Jameer Nelson is going to be the NBA's version of Kirk Gibson.

MagicBucsSox
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
we dont need him other than when skip and are out, is it not obvious. we got LA in 6. kobe dont drive like lebron and dwight will got the calls in the paint in this one. look for battie and gortat to play more

Blah Blah Blah
05-31-2009, 01:33 PM
I doubt Nelson is gonna come back, why risk setting him back even more. Lakers will win tho. Don't underestimate Kobe.

Cali4rnia
05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
I hope he comes back... i dont wanna see no injury as an excuse.. Fair n square.. I am a lakers fan.. i hope this turns out to be the best NBA final series ever.. I witness :) good luck

MagicBucsSox
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
its no excuse if we lose w/o him. skip is alone better than all but 1 of LA guards. pietrus did a great job vs kobe in the olympics last 2summers. gortat and battie can handle gasol. odomis inconsistent, bynum is a bum. but i kno kobe will be on mickeal and lee to once again there's no answer for turk and rashard and howard.

rashard lewis needs to dunk when he drives as does mickael and lee im sick of the layups rolling out

EX-TREME
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
i think nelson should come back next season.

LakersnDodgers
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
I want him there....too many Laker haters in the world i want him there full strength or not! I dont wanna here later "well if we had Jameer" LOL---he isn't going to be the deciding factor from the Magic winning the title or not.I wish you guys the best of luck cause your playing a team that is not going to lose the Finals after what happen last year.I give it up you guys killed the 1-man show they call the Cavs but we spanked the Nuggs (who most called the most talented team in the playoffs) we beat them in their house were they hadn't lost since like March (2/3 wins in Denver) Were the best road team around!!! Lakers in 6

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 06:33 PM
we dont need him other than when skip and are out, is it not obvious. we got LA in 6. kobe dont drive like lebron and dwight will got the calls in the paint in this one. look for battie and gortat to play more

ha ha nice pic son!!! l.m.a.o.

ragee
05-31-2009, 11:42 PM
How could he return? Didn't he just did surgery?

Gdubbz
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I think that hes not going to come back this season, just cause he didn't seem too confident about his shoulder. He shouldn't come back if hes going to mess up chemistry that the Magic have right now.

midwestmadman
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
If he comes back that's another 3 point shooter the Lakers will have to worry about, as a team, coach, GM etc, I won't try to rush him back, if he is cleared to play and is participating in full contact practices and drills why not, how can it hurt to have a guy who was your starter all year long come back and play in the NBA Finals, I tell you what I am a Pistons fan so my non-partisan pick and prediction is this: LA, will have trouble handling Dwight all series, Kobe will get the 6th and 7th techs, and the Magic will win in six games.

sciferguy
06-02-2009, 02:15 PM
This is your guys shot at a NBA Championship. Of course Nelson wants to come back. I am not a magic fan so I don't really know the extent of his injury but if your star PG who shut out the Lakers says he can play then it's Orlando's responsibility to see just what he can do. If he can handle full practices then see what the guy can do off the bench the first game or 2 then make your decision there.

macc
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I personally think it's to risky but I'm not totally against it. If he can contribute than great but he'll be taking AJ's min and AJ has been playing pretty well so who knows. Tough decision for Stan

ManRam
06-02-2009, 04:25 PM
He's got to be on an extremely short leash...that's all. Can't wait around for him to get it together...not in the Finals.

Zefflin
06-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I would be nervous if I were the Magic...Skip has been fulfilling his role perfectly and gets you guys to the finals. Suddenly your starting PG wants to come back and play (which I can understand) but he was your leading scorer against us in the reg season avging 28/5/6...do you guys think that he will come back after 4 months and perform at an all-star level again...not a chance.

ManRam
06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I would be nervous if I were the Magic...Skip has been fulfilling his role perfectly and gets you guys to the finals. Suddenly your starting PG wants to come back and play (which I can understand) but he was your leading scorer against us in the reg season avging 28/5/6...do you guys think that he will come back after 4 months and perform at an all-star level again...not a chance.

I'm nervous too...but it's worth a shot.

Rafer is shooting 38% these playoffs, and 35% from three Jameer, 100% or not will shoot at least 45%. He was a 50% shooter this season, and 45% from three (second best in the league).

Although Rafer has done his job, Jameer's chemistry with guys like Howard and Shard will never be topped.

Short leash. If he does well, yay! If he doesn't, oh well...he can ride the bench.

pedestrian_rose
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
magic are more than able to beat LA without him

sNaKeS
06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I must be really missing the problem with this, why is everyone saying it will disrupt the team chemistry (and by everyone I don't mean the people in this forum, but everywhere else)? Here is what I would do in this situation, alston still starts and gets his minutes and with game 1 I would sit nelson no matter what unless both alston and johnson just suck the joint up, but otherwise keep the same rotation you have been doing. I know this sounds like blasphemy because everyone is saying the lakers will win the first two at home, but if orlando would win the first game (OMG I said it!) then don't mess with it and see where it goes from there. But if they lose, then just replace johnson with nelson! Alston has been playing very good defense this post season especially last series against williams, but he still needs rest and that is where nelson can play. If that happens, it won't disrupt team chemistry and alston gets his rest and usual minutes. Having nelson come off the bench and in the second quarter when svg likes to sit his starters for a bit, you would be seeing nelson, turkoglu, gortat, pietrus, and battie, personally I like that second lineup.

Sports Illustrator
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think this would be such a good idea. Jameer Nelson may not be in game shape, the rotation will likely have to change and this will cause Rafer Alston to get less minutes. Rafer Alston has been playing very well and it may kill the momentum a little.

The Magic were doing just fine without him. If there was a desperate need at the Point Guard position, I would understand. The truth of the matter is that Rafer Alston is the starting Point Guard and has been playing fantastic basketball.

It seems to me like Jameer Nelson is rushing to come back just to get some burn during the finals. I do not blame him, I'd do the same thing if I were him. As the Coach of the Magic though, I probably would not allow this.

ManRam
06-03-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think this would be such a good idea. Jameer Nelson may not be in game shape, the rotation will likely have to change and this will cause Rafer Alston to get less minutes. Rafer Alston has been playing very well and it may kill the momentum a little.

The Magic were doing just fine without him. If there was a desperate need at the Point Guard position, I would understand. The truth of the matter is that Rafer Alston is the starting Point Guard and has been playing fantastic basketball.

It seems to me like Jameer Nelson is rushing to come back just to get some burn during the finals. I do not blame him, I'd do the same thing if I were him. As the Coach of the Magic though, I probably would not allow this.

I'm never going to see what people see in Rafer Alston. Great basketball? The team has done great, but we are getting horrible production out of our PGs. Alston is averaging 12.7 ppg, shooting 38%, with only 4.4 assists, and 2 TOs a game. Do you really consider that "fantastic SI"??? His best series was vs. Philly. Since then, he's been very, very average.

Jameer is the chemistry of the Magic. He is the floor leader. He is the team leader. Yes, he probably wont step in and play like he did in the regular season, but his spark coming off the bench is not going to hurt. And even if it does, SVG can have him on a very short leash. If he struggles, or the team struggles when he's out there, just stop playing him. He's not going to do much worse than Rafer and Anthony.

Worth a shot. For all we know, he really could be ready to go, and jump right in. Even if he doesn't, he's not going to get the minutes right off the bat to cost the Magic much.

If I'm SVG, I bring him off the bench to start the second in game 1. See how he does. If he blows, don't play him the rest of the game, if he doesn't, then keep playing him until he is worse than Anthony.

ragee
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM

I am not expecting him to perform at an all-star level... All I want him to do is be a good back up to Alston... That is it coz I am sure he is not going to be 100%... Plus the chemistry that he has with Dwight could really help us out...