PDA

View Full Version : Has your opinion of the Rashard Lewis signing changed?

DenButsu
05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
When the Magic first signed him for that massive contract, I thought it was a really weak move for a somewhat non-impact player.

But I have to say that his performance this postseason is making me reconsider my original take on it. I still think he's way overpaid, but he is at least proving himself to be a consistent contributor in the postseason, and he's slightly stepped up his fg%, 3p% and scoring while holding steady on the glass and assists, compared to the regular season.

Basically, my take has shifted from:

Way too much money for a player who won't make that big of a difference.

to:

Way too much money for a player, but he's making a pretty big difference.

GiantMetKnick
05-30-2009, 09:46 PM
As the Magic keep winning and Rashard's contributions are felt, yes, its more difficult to say it was a terrible signing. But lets not let the Magic's recent winning cloud our judgement - Rashard is WAY overpaid. He is not a star player... at all. And he is getting paid like a mega star.

But yeah, I think he is still a very good player and a big part of why the Magic are winning.

P.S. - Go Magic! Beat the Cavs!

DQL
05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
compare to the money the Magic offer Turkoglu (about 10 mil per year), Lewis is way way way overpaid. Turkoglu > Lewis

JIDsanity
05-30-2009, 10:00 PM
No, he's over payed, plain and simple

dee279
05-30-2009, 10:14 PM
too much money for a non first option but good player and not great. Dont deserve that much money. Dwight aint even gettin paid the max right now.

29$JerZ
05-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Over-paid but a great complementary player to their star Center Dwight.

Takes money to make money, or in this case have a shot at a title.

TracyMacAdidas
05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I do think he is a bit over paid but he is worth around 10 mil. which is still pretty good.

All star money, not superstar.

Joshtd1
05-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Not really. Unless he ends up averaging 25-30 ppg, I will think he is overpaid no matter what.

ManRam
05-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Always thought he was overpaid...but never thought he was overrated. He is an extremely versatile player. Not many 6-10 players can shoot as well as him, and slash to the hoop like he can. Whether he plays PF or SF, he's a huge mismatch. He is a natural SF, so what he's doing out of position is all the more impressive. I was a supporter of the signing from day one...or as much of a supporter as one could be. Didn't deserve the max, but for the Magic, it was a good signing.

Joshtd1
05-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Always thought he was overpaid...but never thought he was overrated. He is an extremely versatile player. Not many 6-10 players can shoot as well as him, and slash to the hoop like he can. Whether he plays PF or SF, he's a huge mismatch. He is a natural SF, so what he's doing out of position is all the more impressive. I was a supporter of the signing from day one...or as much of a supporter as one could be. Didn't deserve the max, but for the Magic, it was a good signing.

Agreed.

dee279
05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I do think he is a bit over paid but he is worth around 10 mil. which is still pretty good.

All star money, not superstar.

10 mil aint all star money. Thats more like Ben Gordan money. But yeah overpaid i would say hes worth about 13 to 15

juggla53
05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Is he overpaid? yeah probabley but hes been healthy which used to be his biggest issue and he creates so many matchup problems and nobody can really argue the succsess the team has had with him on the team. I think if the magic had to do the deal again they deffinatley would

Hawkize31
05-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I am not giving him or the whole Magic team of shooters credit. They seem to be awesome at making a decent percentage of wide open 3s with no-one around them, Lewis included. If the Cavaliers played defense at all it wouldn't be a thread right now.

I just can't fathom how many wide open 3 pointers the Magic have taken.

TracyMacAdidas
05-30-2009, 10:57 PM
10 mil aint all star money. Thats more like Ben Gordan money. But yeah overpaid i would say hes worth about 13 to 15

Well ben gordon played like an all star in the post season.

I'll agree though 13 or 14.

Bnasty312
05-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I think i'm the only one who didn't have a problem with the signing. If i recall correctly Rashard was an allstar in Seattle even though he wasn't there long.

koreancabbage
05-30-2009, 11:23 PM
too much money for a non first option but good player and not great. Dont deserve that much money. Dwight aint even gettin paid the max right now.

and he won't be until 2012. he's a bargain considering whatever the free agents of 2010 are going to get paid.

superkegger
05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
My opinion hasn't really changed.

I thought he was the right player for them, and that they vastly overpaid for him. Still holds true. Right player for them, and while he's been huge for them, he's still vastly overpaid.

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I always thought it was a good signing, maybe a little overpaid but such a great player with Dwight. My opinion was kinda biased since he is one of my favorite players.

Baller1
05-31-2009, 02:06 AM
I knew Rashard was going to flourish when he left Seattle. I really wished he would've stayed with us. But, I'm glad he's getting some recognition now.

*Superman*
05-31-2009, 02:09 AM
He is overpaid, if we win the championship this year i could care less. But he comes up clutch and we wouldn't be here if it weren't for him so i am happy we signed him.

JordansBulls
05-31-2009, 02:10 AM
When the Magic first signed him for that massive contract, I thought it was a really weak move for a somewhat non-impact player.

But I have to say that his performance this postseason is making me reconsider my original take on it. I still think he's way overpaid, but he is at least proving himself to be a consistent contributor in the postseason, and he's slightly stepped up his fg%, 3p% and scoring while holding steady on the glass and assists, compared to the regular season.

Basically, my take has shifted from:

Way too much money for a player who won't make that big of a difference.

to:

Way too much money for a player, but he's making a pretty big difference.

If they win it all it would be all worth it.

ChiSox219
05-31-2009, 02:16 AM
The NBA is littered with players on guaranteed contract making 10x what they are worth, so while Rashard is overpaid in the sense that he's not a superstar, he's making about the same as Lamar Odom who is maybe an equal talent.

The Magic could have done a lot worse and the fact is they would not be in the Finals right now if they did not have Rashard. I will enjoy watching two 6'10 athletic SF/PFs go against each other.

Boston Faithful
05-31-2009, 06:03 AM
It's simple: If they win the title, it was completely worth it. Who cares if they overpaid him, they wouldn't have won without him. He's an All-Star and he is their best perimeter player and is good for 18-22 a game anyday.

His salary won't matter when the championship is in their hands.

Philly76
05-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Well, he did make a difference.. a lot! No one in the league has 3-point shooter as a PF, so they can play this way, and thats why they got into the finals.. With very good chance of getting the title I believe..

Bnasty312
05-31-2009, 08:24 AM
The question becomes now with his large contract will the Magic have enough under the cap to keep majority of the team together like Hedo and Gorat

jimm120
05-31-2009, 09:23 AM
He is WAY overpaid and it is good to see everyone else agree about that. He is getting paid as a #1 when he isn't...he never was. It is a good #2 on a team though. But #2's do not make that much money. Still, he has done way more than enough to not be considered a failure and to help the team.

I am not giving him or the whole Magic team of shooters credit. They seem to be awesome at making a decent percentage of wide open 3s with no-one around them, Lewis included. If the Cavaliers played defense at all it wouldn't be a thread right now.

Uhmm, if they played defense??? To me, it felt more like the Magic's playbook is DESIGNED to get someone free on the outside. Honestly, the Magic have been doing this type of gameplay since last year and it always works. Only time it backfires on them is when their 3 point shooters go cold (and honestly, they have so many that it is hard for all of them to go cold).

So, it wasn't about defense. The plays that Orlando calls are designed to free up at least 1 person at the 3 point line.

ManRam
05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
It wasn't such a terrible signing because he was the best available player for the Magic that off-season. It was pretty much him or VC. Thank God we didn't go after VC. Some people argued we should have kept Darko, and wait until next off-season. The only free agents that ended up being available were Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest. The rest of the big names re-signed with their teams. All in all, I honestly think signing Rashard, even for the max, was the best move we could have made over those two off-seasons. That along with locking up Dwight and Jameer, signing Pietrus last off-season, and not trading Hedo (a ton of rumors).

Kakaroach
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
He is way over-paid, but he's getting it done.

Tblaze
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
He was the perfect fit for them at the time, and that free agent class was horrible... So they either could overpay for him, or not sign anyone...

Looking at it now seems they made the right choice.

hotpotato1092
05-31-2009, 12:31 PM
He's overpaid but they need him, no way they'd beat Boston without him, let alone Cleveland.

jimbobjarree
05-31-2009, 12:49 PM
hes a great player, but surely they could have signed him cheaper than that

macc
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
You have two types of GM's. Ones who like to save money and ones who like to make the best effort possible to win a championship. Considering my Magic haven't been to the finals in 14 years I don't care how much he's getting paid. He's making clutch shots and is a mis match for every team we play. Plus we have him, Howard, MP and Nelson locked up for at least 4 more years so we'll be contenders every year for that span and Howard will only get better. Remember Howard is only 23 years old. Lewis will be in his prime for the next 3-4 years as well.

Zetterberg40
05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
I like Rashard and his contract is prob not the worse out there he should have never gotten that kind of money over that term. But he is a good player and right now the deal is paying off for Orlando who I think is going to win the Championship but a week ago I would of bet 100 dollars on the Cavs.

mrblisterdundee
05-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Rashard was signed for too much money, but he is having a big impact. The Magic could have probably signed another 2-position forward for less money.

EX-TREME
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM

:nod:

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Lewis is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpayed. He is simply a shooter. He found the right equation, have a big man down low who takes pressure off. Nothing more. He is a nothing but a shooter. And he will be making $23 million 4 years from now to average 16 ppg

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
he is not overrated, just overpaid. The contract will hurt the Magic down the road. It may already, cause Hedo will opt out, can they retain him?
that being said, I hope Lewis keeps it up for 7 more games, haha

Blah Blah Blah
05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
He's definitly not worth his contract but he is very effective for them tho. He is getting paid like superstar money.

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 05:59 PM

dbd(dont be dumb)...

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 06:03 PM
compare to the money the Magic offer Turkoglu (about 10 mil per year), Lewis is way way way overpaid. Turkoglu > Lewis

define better? a player willing to give some of his contract back to keep the team the same, or a player threatening to leave a championship team to make more money?

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 06:08 PM
No, he's over payed, plain and simple

sincerely overpaid(even if we win this year , next year, and the following three years, people will always say he is overpaid, he will never out weigh that)but rediculously underrated is rashard lewis........he has five speeds and only uses four of them( he will use the fifth if he feels necassary)...so happy he made the all star team this year.....people will always talk about lebrons shot. but watch game four's shot by rashard lewis (three pointer back to the basket over ben wallace) now thats impressive?

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
I think i'm the only one who didn't have a problem with the signing. If i recall correctly Rashard was an allstar in Seattle even though he wasn't there long.

he was one year, but if we didn't sign him some one else would of signed him for the same amount, either the money is gonna come from us or someone will sign him for the same , and then my friend we wouldn't be here in the national basketball association's final championship series.......GO MAGIC!!!

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Lewis is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpayed. He is simply a shooter. He found the right equation, have a big man down low who takes pressure off. Nothing more. He is a nothing but a shooter. And he will be making $23 million 4 years from now to average 16 ppg

other nba players that make "rashard lewis money" +/_ , tell me honestly wich one of these you would take over rashard freakin lewis...be honest...

2. Stephon Marbury New York $21,937,500
-. Allen Iverson Denver $21,937,500
4. Jason Kidd Dallas $21,372,000
5. Jermaine O’Neal Toronto $21,352,500

7. Tracy McGrady Houston $21,126,874

9. Shaquille O’Neal Phoenix $20,000,000
10. Steve Francis Houston $19,814,480
11. Dirk Nowitzki Dallas $18,077,904

-. Shawn Marion Phoenix $17,180,000
14. Ray Allen Boston $17,388,430
15. Rashard Lewis Orlando $17,238,000
16. Michael Redd Milwaukee $15,780,000
17. Mike Bibby Atlanta $15,225,000
18. Andrei Kirilenko Utah $15,080,312
-. Pau Gasol LA Lakers $15,080,312
20. Yao Ming Houston $15,070,550

22. Zach Randolph New York $14,666,666
23. Lamar Odom LA Lakers $14,559,000
24. Ben Wallace Cleveland $14,500,000
-. Gilbert Arenas Washington $14,500,000
26. Chris Bosh Toronto $14,410,581

ShareThis

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 06:37 PM
other nba players that make "rashard lewis money" +/_ , tell me honestly wich one of these you would take over rashard freakin lewis...be honest...

2. Stephon Marbury New York $21,937,500 Expired
-. Allen Iverson Denver $21,937,500 Expired
4. Jason Kidd Dallas $21,372,000 Expired
5. Jermaine O’Neal Toronto $21,352,500 Expired

7. Tracy McGrady Houston $21,126,874 1 more year

9. Shaquille O’Neal Phoenix $20,000,000 1 more year
10. Steve Francis Houston $19,814,480 Expired
11. Dirk Nowitzki Dallas $18,077,904 I would take Dirk over him anyday
-. Shawn Marion Phoenix $17,180,000 Expired
14. Ray Allen Boston $17,388,430 1 more year, you could argue that he is better
15. Rashard Lewis Orlando $17,238,000
16. Michael Redd Milwaukee $15,780,000
17. Mike Bibby Atlanta $15,225,000 Expired
18. Andrei Kirilenko Utah $15,080,312
-. Pau Gasol LA Lakers $15,080,312 I would take him over Lewis
20. Yao Ming Houston $15,070,550 I would take him over Lewis

22. Zach Randolph New York $14,666,666 Knicks signing, do I need to say more?
23. Lamar Odom LA Lakers $14,559,000 Expired
24. Ben Wallace Cleveland $14,500,000 1 more year, he may retire
-. Gilbert Arenas Washington $14,500,000
26. Chris Bosh Toronto $14,410,581 I may take him over Lewis

ShareThis

See above, the majority are guys who are in the last years of their deals, they were in their primes 3 years ago, or played for a stupid franchise (Clippers, Knicks, etc) that just throw out dumb deals
The majority of these are the guys who I am saying Lewis will be in 3 years. They are all bad deals, outside Dirk. I think Lewis is a nice player, and a perfect compliment to Howard, but he is not worth that money. He will be getting $23 million at age 33. Now, height and shooting ability tend not to be effected by age, so he should age well, but he isn't a slasher, doesn't get to the line, and is a below average rebounder. YOu are looking at a 16-17 ppg scorer for KG money in a few years. That's all I mean. I have always liked his game a lot, I just think it was a ridiculous contract.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
and you put this year. His contract will be a killer in 3-4 years, when he is making 1/3 of the entire alloted salary cap. That is why its a bad deal. But, trust me, I am going to be cheering my butt off for him over the next 2 weeks. haha

Hawkeye15
05-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I just feel max deals are only for guys like Kobe, Duncan, LeBron, Dwight, and that tier. Now, if the Magic are happy with the deal, then that is all that matters. ANYONE who isn't a top 10 player making $20 million is a bad deal imo. Only guys who used to be awesome, and are just in the twighlight of their career can justify it. Ala, Shaq or Kidd

superdude79
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
At the time, to attract him they had to overpay as the Magic had gone through a couple of coaching changes and Howard was a rookie, so they had to pay above market value to get him. Now that they are contenders they do not have to overpay and in fact might get slight discounts on vets that want a chance to win. No matter how good your parimeter players are, you need a Centre to win in the NBA, I think LeBron now knows that.

Derick713
05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
The Magic overpaid to sign Rashard Lewis. Lewis is major part of the team and has been an excellent complement to Howard, but who were the Magic biding against to sign Howard. If the Magic had signed him to a reasonable contract they might of been able to add to the core of Howard, Lewis, Turkoglu, Nelson, Lee and Pietrus.

Rashard isn't worth the contract he's getting. He's looks good now because he's playing with Howard and Turkoglu. Lewis is getting paid franchise money while making more than LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo.

MAC10TIZZY
05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
The Magic overpaid to sign Rashard Lewis. Lewis is major part of the team and has been an excellent complement to Howard, but who were the Magic biding against to sign Howard. If the Magic had signed him to a reasonable contract they might of been able to add to the core of Howard, Lewis, Turkoglu, Nelson, Lee and Pietrus.

Rashard isn't worth the contract he's getting. He's looks good now because he's playing with Howard and Turkoglu. Lewis is getting paid franchise money while making more than LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo.

ya ok dude, come back in here in 2010 and talk to me about throwing money at people. ala , lebron, wade, bosh(?) and melo.....how much is he worth? he did get us two the nba finals, i think that is priceless, imo.GO MAGIC...+

Bruno
05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
He's playing great right now, making 17.23 million in 2009. What will he be like in 2012-2013 when he's making 23.8 million at 33, going on 34?

Lets put it this way, Dwight Howard won't be the highest paid player on the Magic until at least 2013-2014, if ever.

If the Magic win a title over the next four years, its all worth it.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/orlando.htm

juggla53
05-31-2009, 10:50 PM

Well you see theres this guy by the name of dwight howard who the cavs had to double team whenever he got the ball deep in the post which means somebody was going to be left wide open, it wasnt bad deffense it was just a great job by howard to kick it out to the open man

AllTheWay
06-01-2009, 02:37 AM
I have always believed it was an excellent signing. Is he overpaid? Sure, but they are int he finals with him being the second or third best player on that team.

Kyle N.
06-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Seriously, this dude is giving them a legitimate shot at winning a championship. Give him all the money you have! 10 years from now what are Magic fans going to remember? The time they won the Championship/made it to the Finals or the time they gave Rashard Lewis too much money?

MAC10TIZZY
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
nice posts!