PDA

View Full Version : Laker's toughest opponent....

Arizasensation
05-30-2009, 02:08 PM
was Houston. All the doubters were questioning the Lakers toughness and even talent level when they had their hands full with the Rockets in the second round, but maybe just like Phil said they were giving them enough credit. The fact is the Lakers had a much easier time against the Nuggets. So, the Lakers happened to face their toughest opponent in the second round, not the western conference finals.

Arizasensation
05-30-2009, 02:15 PM
A lot of people were writing off the Lakers or at least talking about them like they're over rated during the Houston series, but I think perhaps they didn't consider the fact that Houston might have been the toughest opponent the Lakers had to face in the western conference. They were like well if Houston could do this to the Lakers, what will Denver do? All the doubters were questioning the Lakers toughness and even talent level when they had their hands full with the Rockets in the second round, but maybe just like Phil said they were giving them enough credit. The fact is the Lakers had a much easier time against the Nuggets. So, the Lakers happened to face their toughest opponent in the second round, not the western conference finals. The Rockets had challenges that the Nuggets gave the Lakers. The Rockets d is much tougher. They have a legitimate post threat. They have speed at the point guard. The Nuggets are talented, but their strengths play into the Lakers strengths. The Lakers don't have to worry so much about Nene and Martin going for 30 and Billups while great is not that fast. Bryant didn't quite have the hands in his face the whole game. Dantay is a dirty player, but his defense is no wehre near as suffocating.

shas
05-30-2009, 02:29 PM
houston was so far, but keep in mind there is still another team that they must play. i think they have a better chance of winning vs the cavs.

shas
05-30-2009, 02:30 PM
yup

IndyRealist
05-30-2009, 02:33 PM
One of either the Cavs or the Magic will be their toughest opponent. They underestimated Houston more than anything else. What they should be worrying about is that the Lakers can't seem to bring themselves to care about winning two games in a row.

tr4shb0t
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Hard to say, but I think I would agree. Even though Denver probably has more talent than Houston, they lack some composure and maturity/experience. LAL-HOU was a strange series though.

COBY KARL
05-30-2009, 02:43 PM
exactly

lakers4sho
05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
It's all about matchups. Gasol had a harder time scoring against Chuck Hayes than Nene/Martin/Birdman.

lakers4sho
05-30-2009, 02:57 PM
It's all about matchups.

Jay22Redd
05-30-2009, 03:02 PM
^I agree.

Blah Blah Blah
05-30-2009, 03:08 PM
The lakers' head were prolly more in the game tho during the nuggets series cuz they just underestimated HOU's hear. LAL will prolly have a tougher time against ORL than CLE tho.

Arizasensation
05-30-2009, 03:13 PM
People just make assumptions based on what's on paper or the team's record. People assumed that the Cavs would steamroll through the eastern conference finals. I don't think its the Lakers heart or they're understimating a team. Houston was just tough to put away. No matter how badly the Lakers would be beating them, the Rockets just seemed to keep coming back... also I think the matchups is just tougher. The Nuggets strengths play into the Lakers strengths since they don't have a big that requires double teaming, Billups while great doesn't have the speed that would give the Laker's fits. The Rockets had a much tougher defense, a dominant big man and speed at point guard. Plus, they don't get fazed as mcuh. The Cavs and Magic do not have speed at point guard and their team defense is not nearly as great. I think they have more brand names, but games are played on the court, not on paper.

Arizasensation
05-30-2009, 03:21 PM
It's all about matchups. The Lakers had to take the tougher road. The reason Gasol had a tougher time was because Hayes used his strength to push Gasol out of his comfort zone. Gasol is very athletic, but not the strongest guy on the floor. The Rockets just presented unique matchup problems that the Nuggets didn't. Dominant big man, two premier wing defenders, jet quick point guard, skilled rugged power forwards and the best team defense the Lakers have faced so far in the playoffs. The Lakers just got tested earlier than expected in the second round. So, the criticism on the Lakers was unfair. It underestimates their opponent. The Lakers were still able to overcome this roadbock. During the Houston series, you would think the Lakers were the most over-rated team the way a lot of people were talking.

bleedprple&gold
05-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, good points, but did you really need to make two seperate threads for this?

Pearljammer II
05-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes Rockets overall my be the strongest team in NBA and have two the best perimeter defenders in Artest & Battier, that wore down Kobe..

Arizasensation
05-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes, good points, but did you really need to make two seperate threads for this?

The other thread was originally in the NBA forum, but they moved it. I really wanted to see what the NBA forum, non-Laker fans thought...but the mod gets so uptight with Laker team topics...

Cali4rnia
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
thank god the bobcats didnt play us lol :)

New Power House
05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
thank god the bobcats didnt play us lol :)

We have the weapons to beat the cavs or the Orlando. Orlando biggest threat for us is not playing(speedy point guard) Howard will be in foul trouble and then they will be lost. Cavs biggest weapon is Lebron.He is going to face Ariza,Puke,Odom,and Kobe. We have Bynum,Odom,Gasol,Ariza, Fisher Brown and Kobe to attack them from all fronts.Then add the crassy bunch form the bench. Fisher now is more important if he comes back to his regular season form. :smoking:One player can not win it all.

MickeyMgl
05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
was Houston. All the doubters were questioning the Lakers toughness and even talent level when they had their hands full with the Rockets in the second round, but maybe just like Phil said they were giving them enough credit. The fact is the Lakers had a much easier time against the Nuggets. So, the Lakers happened to face their toughest opponent in the second round, not the western conference finals.

I agree. Looking back, the Rockets will prove to have been the Lakers toughest opponent.

Cali4rnia
06-01-2009, 05:22 AM
We have the weapons to beat the cavs or the Orlando. Orlando biggest threat for us is not playing(speedy point guard) Howard will be in foul trouble and then they will be lost. Cavs biggest weapon is Lebron.He is going to face Ariza,Puke,Odom,and Kobe. We have Bynum,Odom,Gasol,Ariza, Fisher Brown and Kobe to attack them from all fronts.Then add the crassy bunch form the bench. Fisher now is more important if he comes back to his regular season form. :smoking:One player can not win it all.

That was a joke dude.. aint no one gonna beat LA period.. They lost last year but they are stronger den ever.. i see them winning one next year as well.. Arizaaaa & shannon brown keep practicing your jump shots.. SCARY:smoking:

Arizasensation
06-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Like I said, the Lakers faced their toughest opponent in the second round. Too many people were judging the Lakers because they saw them struggling in the second round and then somehow projected this to mean that if they are struggling in the second round how are they going to beat teams like the Nuggest, Cavs or the Magic... well, the Rockets happened to be the toughest opponent. I knew that if the Lakers could weather the storm, they were going to have must easier time.

borat
06-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I think this should be called. Who did we play the worst against?

That was against the rockets. :eyebrow: