PDA

View Full Version : NBA Salary Cap

BTownTeamsRKing
05-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Can someone explain to me what the heck this is?

Every team is way over the cap on the espn trade machine. the Celtics are 20 mil over.

whats the point of this cap? Seems like it doesnt mean a thing.

koreancabbage
05-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Can someone explain to me what the heck this is?

Every team is way over the cap on the espn trade machine. the Celtics are 20 mil over.

whats the point of this cap? Seems like it doesnt mean a thing.

i believe i can explain it to you
you can go here:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=nba+salary+cap&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=1&oq=nba+sala

or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap

i'm assuming you have internet cuz you wrote in this forum?

its the darnedest thing: using google or wikipedia :speechless:
(i know, i think i mastered the arts of using the internet, but don't thank me ;) )

but in all seriousness, there ya go =)

Ilir
05-30-2009, 09:58 AM
all i know of it is that every dollar you are over the cap you need to pay in tax. you said that the celtics are 20 mil over so that means that they have to pay 20 mil in luxury tax.

koreancabbage
05-30-2009, 10:01 AM
i think, for the ESPN trade machine, you have to get within 15% for matching salaries if the other team is over the cap. and come on- Boston with Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Garnett. those guys together already have Boston over the salary cap.

king4day
05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Just to stunt teams from over paying like the Yanks.
If there was none or if the penalty's were less harsh, you can see smaller market teams fall apart and teams like the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics go balls out to have everyone.

IndyRealist
05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Best FAQ I've found on the salary cap. It explains everything, and is easy to look things up.

Basically, if your team is under the cap, you can sign free agents for any amount up to the cap. If you are over the cap, you can only use the mid-level exception ($6ish million) and the bi-annual exception ($2 million) to sign players. You can also resign your own players for anything up to the player's maximum, even if it puts you above the cap. That's how most teams get that high.

The salary cap is different from the luxury tax, which is higher than the cap. Once you exceed the luxury tax, you have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty for everything you spend over the cap. That money gets distributed evenly to the other teams who didn't exceed the tax.

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I kinda find the Salary Cap a joke, I think the NFL has the best Cap system

superkegger
05-30-2009, 03:05 PM
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Best FAQ I've found on the salary cap. It explains everything, and is easy to look things up.

Basically, if your team is under the cap, you can sign free agents for any amount up to the cap. If you are over the cap, you can only use the mid-level exception ($6ish million) and the bi-annual exception ($2 million) to sign players. You can also resign your own players for anything up to the player's maximum, even if it puts you above the cap. That's how most teams get that high.

The salary cap is different from the luxury tax, which is higher than the cap. Once you exceed the luxury tax, you have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty for everything you spend over the cap. That money gets distributed evenly to the other teams who didn't exceed the tax.

That is indeed the best sight for Salary Cap FAQ. I reccomend everyone read it.

ragee
05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I think the main reason why most teams are over the salary cap is unlike other sports, the NBA is implementing a soft cap not a hard one... So teams can go over the salary cap with certain exemptions like MLE, Bird rights, etc...

ragee
05-30-2009, 04:14 PM
I kinda find the Salary Cap a joke, I think the NFL has the best Cap system

Nah... I like the NBA's cap better... You get to keep your stars resulting to better fan base...

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Nah... I like the NBA's cap better... You get to keep your stars resulting to better fan base...

I meant the NFL has the fairest cap system, but the MLB is the worst by far. They don't even have one,

abe_froman
05-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I meant the NFL has the fairest cap system, but the MLB is the worst by far. They don't even have one,

mlb's is fine,dont get the reason for the whining over it

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 04:31 PM
mlb's is fine,dont get the reason for the whining over it

Do not even give me that BS Arod makes more then the Marlins, and the Yankees spend HALF A BILLION in one offseason WTF. Terrible, they definitely need ton institute a cap system

abe_froman
05-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Do not even give me that BS Arod makes more then the Marlins, and the Yankees spend HALF A BILLION in one offseason WTF. Terrible, they definitely need ton institute a cap system

and how many championships does a rod have,or the yankees with spending that half billion for that matter?
and how many have the marlins won this decade with their low payroll?

see if it actually gave an unfair competitive advantage and teams could actually just buy rings, than i'd agree,but fact is that it hasnt...even though the perception is

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I cannot believe u think its right for a team to spend half a billion, and we don't know if they will win it this season. If they do will you have a problem with the system?

IDK If its me but I think its wrong for one player to have a bigger payroll then a whole team.:shrug:

I like developed teams more then buy the biggest FA's out there. Look at the Braves, they developed everybody, they did for a while now.

abe_froman
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I cannot believe u think its right for a team to spend half a billion, and we don't know if they will win it this season. If they do will you have a problem with the system?

IDK If its me but I think its wrong for one player to have a bigger payroll then a whole team.:shrug:

it's their money,if they want to spend it all on big names that dont lead them to the promise land,who am i to say they shouldnt.besides they do have a tax and give millions to fund the lower payrolled teams

Vinny642
05-30-2009, 04:48 PM
it's their money,if they want to spend it all on big names that dont lead them to the promise land,who am i to say they shouldnt.besides they do have a tax and give millions to fund the lower payrolled teams

Its ****ed because lower payrolled teams can contend with higher payrolled teams in te FA Market

superkegger
05-30-2009, 04:57 PM

I like developed teams more then buy the biggest FA's out there. Look at the Braves, they developed everybody, they did for a while now.

They never spend half a billion in one year. Maybe the total value of the contracts equaled that, but they'e spent around the 200 million mark.

None the less it is a lot. But it has gotten them nowhere. And the Marlins can spend out their *** too, they choose not to because their owner is a cheap cheap man. Or perhaps you didn't notice that after they won their world series titles, they had a fire sale of everyone within a year. Or that the owner still makes money because he spends dick on his players and still rakes in money from the revenue sharing.

IndyRealist
05-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Isn't this the NBA forum?